The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Please welcome your newest entrepreneur: Me!

TempusFugit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 6, 2024
Hello everyone! My name is Thomas.
I am a 24 year old Catholic and I live in Indiana. I have a wife and a beautiful 7 month old boy that I love with all my heart.
I currently work a job (ugh, I know) as a structural engineer for an architecture/engineering company in my home town.

Here is a relatively short history about me and what led me here:

I think I always knew I wanted to be an engineer of some sort. My old man went to Purdue for electrical engineering and went on to work at General Electric in Fort Wayne for 20 years. Before he quit G.E., he started a small business redesigning motors for electric golf carts and has been doing that to this day. His stories of solving problems as an engineer were always interesting to me. Additionally I think this was just one of those things where they young boy wants to be like his dad.

In high school I made the decision to go to school for Civil Engineering. I ended up at Purdue's satellite campus in Fort Wayne.
Multiple things happened during college that changed me drastically as a person.
  • During my freshman year, COVID happened, which shut down school and drove us all to online classes. Additionally, everything else closed, even churches. This was a huge deal for me because I'm a very religious person, and having to watch church services in my bedroom through the screen of my laptop crushed me.
  • After the school year ended in 2020, I stopped going to the church I grew up at to go to another church that stayed open during COVID. I basically made a promise to myself that I would never let anything get in the way of me going to Mass and being a devout Catholic.
  • My girlfriend broke up with me the following summer after we had dated for a year. However, later that same summer I met the women who I would marry only a two years later. We got married in October of 2022.
All of this happened while learning calculus, advanced physics, and advanced engineering, and working to pay for my semesters which, thankfully, were never more expensive than $5.5k. I graduated last spring, and started my full-time structural engineering job very shortly after.

My wife and I are trads. We have always had dreams of having a big family, and to live in the country with lots of land for our children to explore. We both want to live simply and modestly. So, this past fall, we started the process of buying a house, which at this point looks like saving money for the down payment and other services required.

Around this time, I was driving around with my wife through the country. We were passing houses that were not extravagant or anything, but I knew that they probably cost a decent amount of money. I started thinking out loud to my wife and began by asking a somewhat silly question:

"Dear? Where do people get money?"

She laughed, and honestly didn't have an answer. However, we both knew the common answers that people give: save your pennies, invest in stocks, try and get a raise, etc., etc., etc.

My wife and I had just had our son only a few months before I had asked that question. We were in between insurances, so we got stuck between a rock and a hard place when it came to paying hospital bills. We got screwed royally. I had several instances where I had to be on the phone with the hospital telling them we did not have the money to pay for the bills and we needed a discount. We even tried to apply for Medicaid but didn't qualify. Thankfully, we did get a discount. We were inches away from filing for bankruptcy, but we ended up on a payment plan that we have to pay until June.

This brings us to last month.
My friend and I got talking about our money issues. Him and his wife are in a similar boat as we are with the exception that his job is much worse than mine. However, he decided that cleaning condemned meth houses (yes, this is actually a regular duty for him) isn't something he wants to do forever. He decided to start learning how to code and program, as well as learn some other marketable skills that he could use to make some money on the side to help pay for their bills. He told me that he is starting with HTML and CSS. I liked the idea of learning to code, so I joined him. I decided that I wanted to maybe do some freelancing as a side hustle. So, I then began to learn HTML and CSS.
I started an account on Upwork and tried looking for some side jobs. I only found one job that paid me $100 when I got finished. Don't get me wrong, $100 is $100, but I was hoping to find more work and some more pay. Additionally, I realized that if I was working on a bunch of freelancing projects along with working as a full time structural engineer, I wasn't going to have a lot of time for my wife and son. I was giving my time for money.

About a week passed, and I found a video on YouTube where a young man was explaining how he became a millionaire in his 20's. One of the books he recommended at the end of his video was The Millionaire Fastlane .

Firstly, I want to point out that I've never been someone who was super interested in money. That sounds like a weird statement to say, but it's basically the truth. I've always been content with living very simply. I don't care about fancy homes and expensive luxury cars simply because that's just not how I was raised. But along with this, I also grew up with my own thoughts about money. I never thought money was evil per se, but rather that it corrupts easily. Growing up as a devout Catholic, my main goal has been to store up treasure in Heaven, not here on earth "where the rust, and moth consume, and where thieves break through and steal." -Matthew 6:19

All that being said, I still read TMF . After reading it, my perspective on money changed pretty drastically to make me want to go Fastlane. I still think that money can easily corrupt you, but only if you go in on selfish principles and see money as something other than a tool. Like M.J. said in TMF : "Selfish, narcissistic motives do not make good, long-term business models."
I thought that M.J.'s premises make a lot of sense, and it made me think about my views on financial stuff overall. I determined that my previous views on money would not get me and my family to our goals. Not only that, but I also realized that I have a lot to learn concerning economics, finances, business, and all money-related topics. My previous views on money formed the idea in my head that I don't really need to learn about this stuff because it would lead me into sin. That's a ridiculous take, I know, but I now see that it is actually a very good and prudent thing to have a grasp on these topics instead of just outright ignoring them out of fear.

Realistically speaking, how was I going to be able to get enough money to purchase a home in the country with lots of land for my family? Furthermore, how was I seriously going to be able to support and provide for my wife and children with the income I have now? I think it would require a lot of sacrifices (which I would be willing to make), but even after those sacrifices, would my income alone still be enough? Most importantly, even if my income was enough, and my wife and I made all the sacrifices in the world, I would still be trading the time I could be spending with my wife and children for money at my job. How could I expect my son to grow up wanting to be like his papa if I'm not even present a majority of the week?

The answer? I can't expect that. Now, however, after reading TMF, I now see that the possibility of raising a family with my wife with me being physically present and obtaining a sizable income is possible.

Just this past week, I told my wife about TMF. My wife was on board, for which I was very grateful and relieved. She told me that she trusts me, and that she knows I'll lead her and our family in the right direction. I also told a couple friends of mine that I trust, including the friend I talked to about learning to code. He especially expressed interest in joining me.

This leads us to the present. My friend and I want to start a Fastlane business...
but we aren't sure what to do yet.

We think we want to do something coding-wise, even if that simply manifests itself as doing web development. However, I've seen a few forum posts where people say "don't code it's not worth it" and some say "coding is great!" Is it worthwhile to learn coding even if we just learn HTML, CSS and JS for a website?
Along with this question, any advice on finding ideas to start a Fastlane business is greatly appreciated. After reading through the chapters in TMF about finding business opportunities, I must admit I am still unsure on where to go. If I were to make a guess on what to start on, I want to learn about marketing and copywrite simply because I want to educate myself more on these topics.

Here is my introduction. Thank you for having me!

Godspeed,
Thomas

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-J.R.R. Tolkien-

"Todo y nada."
-St. John of the Cross-

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
Welcome Thomas and I will pray the Lord help bring you calm as you move forward.

I definitely can relate with some of your comments on the struggles of storing up here vs heaven. For me I have resolved to check my heart as that is what will be checked on that day. Why do you want to go after the money? To be a provider? For your children? Proverbs 13:22 seems to not have issues with that.

Balance that with Matthew 6:24 and I think the full picture of don't let money be your god/idol and it helps become clearer. At least it does to me.

Now regarding coding - I've been in software for quite sometime. I will tell you there are many threads here that will rightfully tell you it is not really needed to start selling websites to small businesses. It can matter if you want to make a SAAS / web app you charge people for but even that is starting to evolve in no-code options which can get you to the point of validation. I am in the camp that I'd rather promote people to do anything but learn coding the first year and it would be better spending the first year trying a handful of ideas out to validation stage and if you find one then figure out if you need to code.

TempusFugit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 6, 2024
Welcome Thomas and I will pray the Lord help bring you calm as you move forward.
Thank you!!
I definitely can relate with some of your comments on the struggles of storing up here vs heaven. For me I have resolved to check my heart as that is what will be checked on that day. Why do you want to go after the money? To be a provider? For your children? Proverbs 13:22 seems to not have issues with that.
Ugh seriously thank you. I'm glad you see things that way lol. It's truly a relief!! I'm glad to have the reassurance that I'm not "being led astray" as the saying goes.

Now regarding coding - I've been in software for quite sometime. I will tell you there are many threads here that will rightfully tell you it is not really needed to start selling websites to small businesses. It can matter if you want to make a SAAS / web app you charge people for but even that is starting to evolve in no-code options which can get you to the point of validation. I am in the camp that I'd rather promote people to do anything but learn coding the first year and it would be better spending the first year trying a handful of ideas out to validation stage and if you find one then figure out if you need to code.
Hmm okay. My friend and I were definitely thinking about SAAS stuff or possibly developing some sort of mobile app. We've also talked about game development as well and have passed a few ideas around.
The primary reason for considering SAAS is because at this point in time I can't think of physical products or services that we could do for a business. As you can obviously see, we are just starting out. There is a lot of uncertainty.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Welcome.

Maybe change your title so you don't call yourself a bozo? If you don't talk yourself up then who will?

Is it worthwhile to learn coding even if we just learn HTML, CSS and JS for a website?
Along with this question, any advice on finding ideas to start a Fastlane business is greatly appreciated. After reading through the chapters in TMF about finding business opportunities, I must admit I am still unsure on where to go. If I were to make a guess on what to start on, I want to learn about marketing and copywrite simply because I want to educate myself more on these topics.
You mention learning and ideas. I have a low opinion of both.

Maybe these might help:

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
My two cents:

Please don’t ever refer to yourself as a Bozo again, it only fosters imposter syndrome. Novice, inexperienced, newbie, etc. are factual but not derogatory, so they’re okay. Trust me, if you’re ever being a Bozo there are plenty of folks here who will pointedly tell you. I realize you were just being lighthearted so no explanation required, it’s just a good time to strap the kevlar on your mindset.

There are plenty of ways you can leverage coding within your domain. Talk to the people around you to find out where the current pinch points are in the technical and business aspects of engineering firm operations. There are constant coordination issues between disciplines in design and construction that need solutions.

This forum is a great place for people starting out to learn, be encouraged, and find accountability. Be engaged, do your homework so you can ask good questions, and provide value whenever you can. Welcome!

TempusFugit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 6, 2024
Maybe change your title so you don't call yourself a bozo? If you don't talk yourself up then who will?
Sorry, perhaps that was too tongue-in-cheek. I will avoid that in the future!
You mention learning and ideas. I have a low opinion of both.

Maybe these might help:
You're right. I have to stop sitting idle and execute something.
I am meeting very soon with my friend to make a plan and execute it.
As MJ's "backwardation" method goes from The Great Rat Race Escape :
Visualize it.
Reverse-engineer it.
Then task it daily.

Godspeed,
Thomas

TempusFugit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 6, 2024
Please don’t ever refer to yourself as a Bozo again, it only fosters imposter syndrome. Novice, inexperienced, newbie, etc. are factual but not derogatory, so they’re okay. Trust me, if you’re ever being a Bozo there are plenty of folks here who will pointedly tell you. I realize you were just being lighthearted so no explanation required, it’s just a good time to strap the kevlar on your mindset.
I will not do that again! Thank you for the vote of confidence. It means a lot.

I'm usually someone who is unsure when entering unknown territory, but already this forum has given me a boost in conviction for the Fastlane.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
1. Think local. Think service business. Think strong-demand. Think evergreen.
2. The problem is not that you don't know some skill, like coding. The problem is that you don't know what you don't know.
3. Find an appropriate problem to tackle before picking up the tool. If you begin learning to code for example, everything seems like a software problem, etc.
4. You will have to combine more than one skill in your business. This is best done if you can utilize employees or a business partner. Prepare for this and do it in a smart way (efficient, low-risk, systematic, amiable). It's your leverage.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 26, 2023
Is it worthwhile to learn coding even if we just learn HTML, CSS and JS for a website?

Dear Thomas,

In the long run, you will realize, that some skills can be hired and "Sales" is a "God-thing"!

Wishing you good luck in your future endeavors!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...