• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

What book are you reading? - Right now. Post up!

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by ChrisV, Sep 6, 2018.

1. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,705
    How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

So, Currently I’m reading

8721240.jpg

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong

This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.

The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.

Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.

Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .

Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,

By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

35138858.jpg

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman

Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant

Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager

Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.
    What are you reading?

2. Bryan James

Bryan James Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $348
    I'm currently reading "The 10 X Rule" by Grant Cardone. Very motivational.

GMSI7D and ChrisV like this.
  3. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,705
  4. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $7,705
    Mattie likes this.
  5. 404profound

404profound Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,373
  6. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,263
    Just finished Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance. Brilliant ambitious guy who is a man on a mission to save the planet. Ancestry of explorers. Had a childhood of awkwardness.(And getting bullied) Likes to do everything himself so he has a problem with giving up control. He's more of a modern day Thomas Edison/Nikola Tesla in they'll experiment and fail over and over again but they always eventually figure stuff out.

SMH, GMSI7D, Michael1359 and 2 others like this.
  7. lowtek

lowtek Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $17,195
    ApparentHorizon and ChrisV like this.
  8. 404profound

Rep Bank:
    $1,373
    ApparentHorizon likes this.
  9. lowtek

lowtek Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $17,195
    ehhh, technically I'm reading the first edition :p

10. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $7,705
    Arun Siva, ApparentHorizon and lowtek like this.
  11. 404profound

Rep Bank:
    $1,373
    But the difference is you can understand it, haha

12. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke ARRIVE. RAISE HELL. LEAVE. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,093
  13. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 I’m probably awake. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,688
    Tribe: On Homecoming and Belonging

Highly Recommend

ChrisV likes this.
  14. MTEE1985

MTEE1985 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,966
    Reading Viktor Frankl - Man’s Search for Meaning

Whenever I’m driving, I’m listening to Unscripted (basically on repeat)

Just finished Rise and Grind by Daymond John...thought it was so-so.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Kieran Proven, Invictus and ChrisV like this.
  15. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $7,705
  16. Satvik Gupta

Satvik Gupta Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $413
    The education of millionaires

ChrisV likes this.
  17. Ray Richardson

Ray Richardson New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $36
    $100 startup

It was okay. It was more of the "follow your passion" message. Sure these people quit their day jobs, but doing what i love just to get by is not part of what im trying to build. However these people got something off the ground putting them way ahead of me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Kieran Proven, Invictus and ChrisV like this.
  18. journeyman

journeyman Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $793
    Deep Work, by Cal Newport.
    Thus far, it's outstanding

Invictus and ChrisV like this.
  19. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $7,705
  20. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $7,705
    It would be helpful if you guys posted the cover/description of the book too

you don’t have to but i’m interested in what these books are

21. ApparentHorizon

ApparentHorizon Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,732
    Just finished Pre-Suasion by Cialdini. This is definitely one you have to listen/read twice.

What was striking about this book is that the sale happens before the sale.

Just like we used to think you made a sale by the words that come out of your mouth. Only to then discover, 80%+ was body language. Pre-Suasion is similar, in that the sale comes from the environment, and before you even utter a word.

For example, imagine 2 restaurants with the following names: Rue 17. House 37.

Both are of equal quality and value. However, customers are more likely to purchase a higher priced meal in House 37.

Or another example is increasing the price of food, to increase customer satisfaction. I noticed the Asian buffet in my town raised their prices by 77%. The place is more packed than ever. Same exact food and service. If you have the time, look up how buffets make money. It's fascinating. (Not an example in the book)

Likewise, you can trick people into success.

Simply putting up posters of someone winning a race, is enough to make the viewer more goal oriented.

Or...

How about marginalized groups? People who are under societal pressure to not do well in school? Well you can push their scores up without all the political trickery of padding results.

Again, put up a few posters, but this time of successful people who look just like them. I think we've known this for a while, just not applied to academics. If there is a task no one has been able to complete, then someone comes along and does it. Then soon after, other people start completing it as well. This is because they now know it can be done.

How about a principle that's related to current events?

Nike.

Pre-suasively, we give importance to what we're paying attention to.

And it's at an all time high:

upload_2018-9-8_11-6-40.png
    While the controversy will hit them short term, (barely as we can see at the last candle), most people will forget by the next news cycle. However, those Nike connections in their head will strengthen.

upload_2018-9-8_11-7-33.png

More importantly, by the exposure effect, people who don't even care about what everyone is mobbing about, will subconsciously gravitate towards Nike. (Adidas who?)

COSenior, GMSI7D and ChrisV like this.
  22. 404profound

Rep Bank:
    $1,373
    lowtek likes this.
  23. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,263
    But making the next Termintor is so fun. Then I can really take over the world! Hahaha!

ChrisV likes this.
  24. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $7,705
    Why, just because of the higher number? Would Blue 99 attract even higher prices? Anchoring effect?

And re: Nike

I mean if I traded stock? I would be ALL over Nike. As far as I’m concerned that stock is just ‘on sale.’ It’s like if they started slashing the price of iPads by like 70%. Buy a f*ckload of them then once the sale is over and back to regular price throw them up on eBay.

That was Warren Buffet’s method in a nutshell.

Is that covered in the book?

25. Michael1359

Michael1359 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $251
    Just ordered it yesterday, should get it Monday. From what I saw online, it’s excellent. Would you concur?

I’m almost done with Unscripted for the second time and will start the book on Elon Monday or Tuesday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk