The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Two cognitive punches for lifelong, durable happiness...

Anything related to matters of the mind

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
From the Life in the Fastlane newsletter.

My wife hates that I have an affinity for watching and reading about true crime stories. Turns out I'm not alone.

Anyway, there's an odd reason I'm hooked on watching murder documentaries, and they lead to the two strategies I use to continually be happy and raise my baseline for happiness.

No, I don't have some twisted fascination with crime. But it reminds me to not sweat the "small stuff," and most everything is small.

When I watch true crime documentaries, I look beyond the human tragedy (which my wife cannot do) and instead experience immense gratitude and perspective, two things that scientifically can lead to happiness.

True crime shows me how lucky I am to have my loved ones while being able to pursue my best life. It gives me a punch of perspective, a mental knife that cuts through the fog of trivial complaints and zooms in on what truly matters.

I recently did a Cameo video, a pep-talk for a man who was enduring struggles in his life. In that video, I tried to share these two ideas of gratitude and perspective, as they were the strategies that guided me during my rough times, as they do today when I'm complaining about tax increases, corrupt politicians, and rude people.

Take war, for instance. There's someone, right now, literally fighting to survive. Conversely, you might be in a metaphorical battle to get that promotion or launch your startup. Recognize this for what it is—a privilege.

Think about that.

You're fighting for a dream, while others are fighting for food, shelter, and water. They're fighting to survive. If you're currently able to fight for your dreams because you're not busy fighting for your life, well, you're doing spectacularly well.

The same can be said about health. I might dread the idea of my early morning walk, but hey, I *can* walk without the threat of being bombed, mugged, or kidnapped. Whenever I lose perspective, I mutter to myself, "Well, you don't have pancreatic cancer," which, by most measures, is a death sentence. This simple, morbid statement is another mental punch that knocks sense into me.

Another cognitive gut-punch I use is freedom, which most of us take for granted. When faced with the angst of some trivial matter—someone cut me off, scammed, or misled me—I tell myself that I'm not pacing in a prison cell convicted of manslaughter or subject to reeducation in some gulag while doing back-breaking labor. I'm still free to think, speak, and exist as I am, as are you. This simple autonomy is a cornerstone of your well-being that we too often overlook.

And let's not forget the little black mirror we all carry—our smartphones. I preach a lot about social media toxicity but remember, the entire repository of human knowledge is literally in your pocket. Hell, if you had Elon Musk or Taylor Swift's telephone number, you could immediately reach them from your pocket. Again, think about amazing truth. Between this knowledge and access, previous generations would've killed for this privilege. Don't squander it with endless doom-scrolling on TikTok.

So when life beats you down—bills, tax increases, poor ad results—remember the THREE WARMS: If you have a warm bed after a warm shower following a warm meal, congratulations; you have a lot to be thankful for. You have an opportunity not just to survive but to pursue your dreams. Your best life.

None of this is some woo-woo I made up.

The psychological benefits of gratitude and perspective are well-documented. One seminal study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology found that participants who kept weekly gratitude journals were more optimistic, felt better about their lives, and exercised more than those who focused on neutral or negative aspects. The grass is already greener in your pasture. This research, led by Robert A. Emmons and Michael E. McCullough, lends scientific credence to the idea that focusing on what you're thankful for can positively impact well-being (source).

Another study delved into how the mere act of reframing a situation—again, perspective— to see the silver lining could foster better mental health. Published in the Journal of Behavioral Medicine, this study suggests that optimistic thinking styles, like positive reframing, are associated with various health benefits, including lower levels of depression and even better cardiovascular health (source).'

In a world where the narrative is often tuned to what we lack or how we could be better, flipping The Script is not radical but revolutionary. The powers-at-be want you to be angry, divided, and depressed as it makes you controllably monetizable. Don't be a slave to their whims.

So here's the mic-drop that only perspective and gratitude can deliver: If you're physically, mentally, and geographically able to pursue your dreams—your best life— you're already living the dream.

mjsignatureWhite.PNG

Best wishes,
MJ DeMarco, Entrepreneur, Author

PS: Here are some questions to ponder regarding perspective and gratitude in your life.

1 How can you practice gratitude daily beyond acknowledging our current treasures in life?
2 How do you balance a heightened sense of perspective for happiness so it does not deter you from achieving more?
3 How does the digital age contribute to our skewed perspective, and how can we counterbalance that?

If you're physically, mentally, and geographically able to pursue your dreams—your best life— you're already living the dream.

Remember the THREE WARMS: If you have a warm bed after a warm shower following a warm meal, congratulations; you have a lot to be thankful for.

If you're currently able to fight for your dreams because you're not busy fighting for your life, you're doing spectacularly well.

The grass is already greener in your pasture.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

My wife hates that I have an affinity for watching and reading about true crime stories. Turns out I'm not alone.

Anyway, there's an odd reason I'm hooked on watching murder documentaries, and they lead to the two strategies I use to continually be happy and raise my baseline for happiness.

No, I don't have some twisted fascination with crime. But it reminds me to not sweat the "small stuff," and most everything is small.

When I watch true crime documentaries, I look beyond the human tragedy (which my wife cannot do) and instead experience immense gratitude and perspective, two things that scientifically can lead to happiness.

True crime shows me how lucky I am to have my loved ones while being able to pursue my best life. It gives me a punch of perspective, a mental knife that cuts through the fog of trivial complaints and zooms in on what truly matters.

I recently did a Cameo video, a pep-talk for a man who was enduring struggles in his life. In that video, I tried to share these two ideas of gratitude and perspective, as they were the strategies that guided me during my rough times, as they do today when I'm complaining about tax increases, corrupt politicians, and rude people.

Take war, for instance. There's someone, right now, literally fighting to survive. Conversely, you might be in a metaphorical battle to get that promotion or launch your startup. Recognize this for what it is—a privilege.

Think about that.

You're fighting for a dream, while others are fighting for food, shelter, and water. They're fighting to survive. If you're currently able to fight for your dreams because you're not busy fighting for your life, well, you're doing spectacularly well.

The same can be said about health. I might dread the idea of my early morning walk, but hey, I *can* walk without the threat of being bombed, mugged, or kidnapped. Whenever I lose perspective, I mutter to myself, "Well, you don't have pancreatic cancer," which, by most measures, is a death sentence. This simple, morbid statement is another mental punch that knocks sense into me.

Another cognitive gut-punch I use is freedom, which most of us take for granted. When faced with the angst of some trivial matter—someone cut me off, scammed, or misled me—I tell myself that I'm not pacing in a prison cell convicted of manslaughter or subject to reeducation in some gulag while doing back-breaking labor. I'm still free to think, speak, and exist as I am, as are you. This simple autonomy is a cornerstone of your well-being that we too often overlook.

And let's not forget the little black mirror we all carry—our smartphones. I preach a lot about social media toxicity but remember, the entire repository of human knowledge is literally in your pocket. Hell, if you had Elon Musk or Taylor Swift's telephone number, you could immediately reach them from your pocket. Again, think about amazing truth. Between this knowledge and access, previous generations would've killed for this privilege. Don't squander it with endless doom-scrolling on TikTok.

So when life beats you down—bills, tax increases, poor ad results—remember the THREE WARMS: If you have a warm bed after a warm shower following a warm meal, congratulations; you have a lot to be thankful for. You have an opportunity not just to survive but to pursue your dreams. Your best life.

None of this is some woo-woo I made up. The psychological benefits of gratitude and perspective are well-documented. One seminal study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology found that participants who kept weekly gratitude journals were more optimistic, felt better about their lives, and exercised more than those who focused on neutral or negative aspects. The grass is already greener in your pasture. This research, led by Robert A. Emmons and Michael E. McCullough, lends scientific credence to the idea that focusing on what you're thankful for can positively impact well-being (source).

Another study delved into how the mere act of reframing a situation—again, perspective— to see the silver lining could foster better mental health. Published in the Journal of Behavioral Medicine, this study suggests that optimistic thinking styles, like positive reframing, are associated with various health benefits, including lower levels of depression and even better cardiovascular health (source).'

In a world where the narrative is often tuned to what we lack or how we could be better, flipping The Script is not radical but revolutionary. The powers-at-be want you to be angry, divided, and depressed as it makes you controllably monetizable. Don't be a slave to their whims.

So here's the mic-drop that only perspective and gratitude can deliver: If you're physically, mentally, and geographically able to pursue your dreams—your best life— you're already living the dream.

View attachment 52010

Best wishes,

PS: Here are some questions to ponder regarding perspective and gratitude in your life.

1 How can you practice gratitude daily beyond acknowledging our current treasures in life?
2 How do you balance a heightened sense of perspective for happiness so it does not deter you from achieving more?
3 How does the digital age contribute to our skewed perspective, and how can we counterbalance that?

Thank you for the video. It meant a lot and for guidance you have provided.

Lessons I need to learn, I do hope the video does help others though if you are in the same boat.

I do think others other than myself should hear this.

My perspective of life for the past several months if not longer was shaded, all I could see what disaster, destruction, and loss.

I'm grateful for @Runum @MJ DeMarco for helping me.

I could see why after the video on why and how I lost perspective. And for not being grateful for where I was.

I'm not afraid to admit my faults and this is one of them.

So thank you guys, you are the best.

Greg's analogy was "Look outside, tell me what do you see?" And what you see is your current perspective.

In some aspects I should have known better to practice but I lost my humanitarian sense.

I know of an old lady who was homeless and everything I visited her was when I was grateful for having a place. But at the same time I wanted to help her find a place.

I'm grateful for the reminder.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Think about that.

The psychological benefits of gratitude and perspective are well-documented. One seminal study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology found that participants who kept weekly gratitude journals were more optimistic, felt better about their lives, and exercised more than those who focused on neutral or negative aspects. The grass is already greener in your pasture. This research, led by Robert A. Emmons and Michael E. McCullough, lends scientific credence to the idea that focusing on what you're thankful for can positively impact well-being (source).

View attachment 52010

Best wishes,

What a great pep talk video MJ. Cameo seems like a great idea.

conti

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 17, 2019

Think about that.

View attachment 52010

Best wishes,

Think about that.

View attachment 52010

Best wishes,

Thank you very much for these words!

One of your best posts in my opinion.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
What was that quote that Einstein said? There are two ways to live your life, one as if nothing is a miracle and the other is as if everything is a miracle.

Very few can see this. Life truly is a gift and a miracle.

For me, striving for morality and spirituality has brought me happiness. I always strive for the best behaviors, words and actions. We live in a world we’re it’s cool to be a hedonist POS.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I did a lot of reading into stoicism back in the day after learning about it here. Improved my outlook and gratitude for getting to experience this cool journey that I am on.

I often consider and then think about what it would be like to actually experience the “worst case scenarios” we often have anxieties over (take bankruptcy for example). It’s always not actually that bad, and it’s freeing to know that even the worst case is ultimately ok in the end, so you can put in your effort and detach yourself from having to hit the result at all costs.

In the end, you’ve still got the 3 warmths.

Now my challenge is trying to instill this in my kids, who by all respects, are living a very comfortable life… that they are so far, taking mostly for granted.

Joyousli

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 15, 2023
I have the same fascination with crime documentaries. For me it's because I can't fathom how some people behave. I suppose I should be grateful I haven't got a criminal mind.

Alexx7

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
700%
Oct 19, 2023
Hi! Lol, good post. I get your email today and then register. When I move from Kyiv when war happens to the village I don't have warm bed, warm shower and warm meal. But I was eternally grateful to the Universe for the fact that I was alive and well, and that my relatives and friends were also alive and well. I am still grateful every day for having the opportunity to live and create. Thanks for your letter!

MaxT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Oct 22, 2020
France

windchaser

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
May 24, 2017
Spain
Amazing reflection, very stoic

Back in 2019 I was in my best moment, happy family, good friends, just sold my company and was starting my new one...
And all of a sudden, the world shattered below my feet. Out of the blue, my husband got diagnosed with a lymphoma.

I realized that gratitude, living the moment and especially not getting anxious about what you cannot control is the key to happiness.

Now he is fully recovered and clean for several years. But still, during thise horrible months (including the last of them during the pandemic), we learnt to enjoy and cherish every moment and be grateful for it, as we were very aware they could be the last.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
From the Life in the Fastlane Newsletter.

Think about that.

View attachment 52010

Best wishes,

I do study a lot of forensics myself, crime stories, and it' similar in the fact, it's learning the psychology, the motivations, the intentions, the deeper subconscious side of them why they would take certain actions to wound others in society. Saboteurs and probably why Crime Novels have always been popular.

All goes with manipulation of emotions, thoughts, feelings, strategy, motivations, and intentions.

While many times you see some people are falsely accused and get liberation for false accusations and have been in prison for many years.

I believe it's always a double-edged sword and works both ways.

I know changing gears back to the U.S., it's been interesting watching gossip, smear campaigns, and everything in the physical instead of online. I've seen more people get fired or leaving on their own April to October then I ever have in my entire life.

I'm all good with Camera's everywhere and use it for leverage. Since, it's all about taking everything i learned in here and online and seeing the systematic failures. I believe many of them think I'm weird, because i don't join in the cliques, and don't worry about obstacles, roadblocks, delays, and don't complain. The whole point is having this job for a steppingstone and being a minimalist to get to where i want to be.

All about actions and making those right actions. While some people might not like me joining in with other people all the time, it's simply because I've been on this forum and online and a whole different perspective and masterd a lot of things. It's amazing how everyone assumes you're at the same emotional and mental reality as them.

It's been a weird transition returning to and old world and still leaving the past behind. Back in a world like the Whiplash movie and Zero absence policy even if you're in the hospital in surgery. This world is a bit cut-throat and always interesting observing life and other interactions, their choices and words.

All about paying attention to the details. Precision, accuracy, and being on target.

As you stated, I have more liberation and freedom then others do right now in 2023. I don't have any luggage to carry around. I don't have anyone to hang on too, and just myself.

Health is number one, and physical body, and then doing what i need to do to build upward.

Physical body is a main focus right now getting back in shape, eating right, sleeping right, and how i use my time.

I'm not sure you can always avoid saboteurs, since they are just a part of life. It's paying attention to your surroundings, what's happening around you, evaluating the situation, and making the best choices you can at the time.

Human nature is fascinating, I know this for sure.

Optimism is the best way to move through life. Still gratitude does go a long way. All about the perspective and focal point. You can look at the negative point of view or positive side.

All about staying balanced in the storm, not being thrown off into the Chaos of society. Steady, stable, secure no matter what it looks like around you at the time.

Fear is the biggest roadblock in anyone's journey. Sometimes you just have to Roar like a Lion and have the courage to face and fears that surface. Since many times on the other side of fear is false evidence appearing real.

Resilience is bouncing back from any trauma, tragedy, obstacle, and roadblock in front of you.

Perhaps, it's embracing both sides the negative and positives of life and understand they will always be part of the journey and all about how you react and respond to situations and people.

Life could always be worse in many different ways.

shubham___3011

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 29, 2023
India

Think about that.

I found the perspective shared in the Life in the Fastlane newsletter to be both thought-provoking and uplifting. It's not often that we hear someone express gratitude for the macabre world of true crime, but the way the author uses it as a source of perspective is truly enlightening.

In a world where we're often consumed by trivial complaints and caught up in the daily grind, it's easy to lose sight of the bigger picture. The reminder that many people around the world are facing real struggles for survival while we're pursuing dreams or battling everyday inconveniences is a poignant wake-up call. It's a reminder of the privilege we often take for granted.

Moreover, the emphasis on gratitude and perspective is not just a personal philosophy; it's backed by scientific research. Studies show that focusing on what we're thankful for can improve our mental and emotional well-being. The act of consciously recognizing the silver linings in our lives, no matter how small, can foster a more positive outlook.
The message that "If you're physically, mentally, and geographically able to pursue your dreams, you're already living the dream" is a powerful mic-drop moment. It challenges us to shift our perspective and redefine what success and contentment truly mean.

In a world that sometimes seems fixated on what we lack and how we could be better, this reminder to flip the script and find gratitude in the present is indeed revolutionary. It encourages us not to be slaves to the negative narratives around us, which often seek to divide and depress us. Instead, we're prompted to recognize the privilege of being able to chase our dreams, free to think, speak, and exist in our own way.

Thank you @MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Got a lot of feedback on this one, some great little stories, here's a few...

1697814481111.png

1697814459264.png

To put this into a usable habit, give yourself a "trigger phrase" that helps you shift perspective from your current micro-level situation, to macro-level.

I didn’t want to bring too much attention to it in the article, but my trigger phrase is only two words...

Pancreatic Cancer.

When I think about that disease and what it does to people, like Steve Jobs, it always snaps me back into perspective.

Getting scammed out of a few bucks ain't so bad.
Getting flipped off because I'm driving the speed limit, not so bad.
Having some clown call me a scammer simply because I write books about money, meh, no big deal.

I'm healthy.
The bills are paid.
I have my 3 warms...

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
Got a lot of feedback on this one, some great little stories, here's a few...

View attachment 52021

View attachment 52020

To put this into a usable habit, give yourself a "trigger phrase" that helps you shift perspective from your current micro-level situation, to macro-level.

I didn’t want to bring too much attention to it in the article, but my trigger phrase is only two words...

Pancreatic Cancer.

When I think about that disease and what it does to people, like Steve Jobs, it always snaps me back into perspective.

Getting scammed out of a few bucks ain't so bad.
Getting flipped off because I'm driving the speed limit, not so bad.
Having some clown call me a scammer simply because I write books about money, meh, no big deal.

I'm healthy.
The bills are paid.
I have my 3 warms...
One of my best friends lost his dad to pancreatic cancer before we graduated high school and I remember looking up the mortality rate way back then. It's been one of my most potent "quit whining about trivial shit, you have a lot to be grateful for" reminders so it's interesting that it is yours as well. Absolutely awful disease. Really valuable post, though!

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Untethered soul then surrender experiment?

Either one, either order. The Surrender Experiment has an entrepreneurial thread throughout it.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Untethered soul then surrender experiment?

Living Untethered (his most recent work) is IMO his best book. Way clearer and more practical than the Untethered Soul. The Surrender Experiment is a cool autobiography but not very practical.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
A good book that I have read about this change in perspective was by a guy called Benjamin hardy. The GAP vs The GAIN.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Either one, either order. The Surrender Experiment has an entrepreneurial thread throughout it.

Have you listened to the audiobooks?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

oneac

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jul 29, 2022
5D1CF142-E170-43BF-9A4D-1FF801E57F90.jpegFrom the Life in the Fastlane Newsletter.

Think about that.

View attachment 52010

Best wishes,

It’s so funny how having less can often force us to realize how privileged we are.

I’m coming to realize that every tool I have to survive and thrive while living in my car serves my needs so well (air mattered to sleep, car to get to work, bread I can eat without a fridge or fancy storage) and that I’m lucky to have any of this. There are people sleeping on the cold concrete, I could be just like that.

A fun way to practice gratitude besides gratitude journaling is to take pictures in moments you feel happy and grateful. After finishing a hike I was grateful to see my car clean so I snapped this

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
If you're currently able to fight for your dreams because you're not busy fighting for your life, well, you're doing spectacularly well.
Thank you MJ
If you have a warm bed after a warm shower following a warm meal, congratulations; you have a lot to be thankful for.
Pretty simple. Need it now. Maybe it could part of my life.
If you're physically, mentally, and geographically able to pursue your dreams—your best life— you're already living the dream.
Thank you MJ

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
It’s so funny how having less can often force us to realize how privileged we are.

I’m coming to realize that every tool I have to survive and thrive while living in my car serves my needs so well (air mattered to sleep, car to get to work, bread I can eat without a fridge or fancy storage) and that I’m lucky to have any of this. There are people sleeping on the cold concrete, I could be just like that.

A fun way to practice gratitude besides gratitude journaling is to take pictures in moments you feel happy and grateful. After finishing a hike I was grateful to see my car clean so I snapped this
Where does one draw the line between being grateful and accepting the Script? For most people FTE comes due to not liking their current scenario (mediocre comfort). But if people are way too grateful for it they may never have their FTE(wouldnt it be selfish? Someone is dying to stay alive and you are hating your job that pays you monthly, come on). So how to actually navigate that balance?

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Yes, both. Most of everything I "read" goes through audiobook.

You mentioned a while back in a thread. That listened to 2000+ hours while sleeping. Have you found a earbud that works best?

I found a few earbuds that mention "sleep" in the title. Soundcore by Anker Sleep A10 Earbuds.

oneac

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jul 29, 2022
Where does one draw the line between being grateful and accepting the Script? For most people FTE comes due to not liking their current scenario (mediocre comfort). But if people are way too grateful for it they may never have their FTE(wouldnt it be selfish? Someone is dying to stay alive and you are hating your job that pays you monthly, come on). So how to actually navigate that balance?
Ironically I believe gratitude acts as a propellant for my fast lane goals not a hinderance. For example, being grateful for this shit job I have makes me feel like I’m completing a necessary step in the unscription process - I cannot build a business if I’m struggling to get food.

When I get into an apartment I’ll be grateful to have a home base to securely “swing the bat” of business. I can’t take multiple risks in business if the first one leaves me poor in the streets with no money.

As for gratitude and how it relates to an FTE, I don’t necessarily think being grateful will stop an FTE either. Living a mediocre existence filled will useless spending is probably the OPPOSITE of gratitude because you keep on spending money on distractions to medicate your mediocre existence. Gratitude on the other hand is steeped in consciousness, in other words, you can’t be grateful if you don’t make the effort to be in the moment to enjoy whatever experience you’re having.

Step one in gratitude in consciousness, to have an FTE you must be conscious of how badly you want to change your life.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You mentioned a while back in a thread. That listened to 2000+ hours while sleeping. Have you found a earbud that works best?

I found a few earbuds that mention "sleep" in the title. Soundcore by Anker Sleep A10 Earbuds.

I have some JBL earbuds, they are several years old but they work great for my sleep. Not sure if they even sell 'em any longer.

IMG_3009.JPG

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
Thank you for the reminder. Some times, we are never content because we want the Fastline life and yada yada. First world problems. Funny thing is some of the these people make more money they even need already. No need to give up on big dreams by any means, but good to remember that we aren't miserable either.

Keep working on your dreams and enjoy the ride even if you fail. And be grateful that you don't live in a shit hole where tomorrow is uncertain.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
From the Life in the Fastlane Newsletter.

Think about that.

View attachment 52010

Best wishes,

I just need to read the news headline these days to feel immense gratitude.

Not being drafted into war. My roof not collapsing due to a random rocket hitting on it.

The massive humanitarian crisis in the Globe for the past 2-3 years almost make me feel like seeking early retirement kind of financial goal is a first world vanity/luxury.

You can easily find videos of children in parts of the world picking rubbish whole day with no food and shelter making less than 2 dollar usd per day.

Regarding crime stories, when I was a teenager I enjoyed watching it because I like to see what the victims/bad guys did wrong that end up causing them to get hurt/caught.

1) The murderer always makes the mistake thinking they need to destroy the body which end up creating more dna evidence against them.

2) A file deleted into the recycle bin isn’t gone until you overide it many times with strings of random codes or physically destroy the hardware.

3) For scam prevention. Choose iOS over Android, good old methods of transfer limit and accounts segregation help. When 2FA fails your bank might push the blame to you instead. If in doubt, assume scams until proven otherwise.

4) It is illegal to deploy “data analystics” against a physical casino. If you are caught with using digital device to gain an edge in a physical casino you can be charged with fraud.

5) Most importantly crimes never pay.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!