The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

For those getting started - Stop learning & overthinking. Just go off and do it

Anything related to matters of the mind

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I did a call to help teens, students, and others get started in business.

This 8 minute extract seems to help people so I've created a separate thread for it.

I'll upload the transcription shortly, and copy/paste other people's takeaways below.

What's your takeaways?

What will you do different going forward?

View: https://youtu.be/Hy1shfNiy1k?si=MzeeAteZREdANTuU

Originally posted here:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...lay-for-teens-students-getting-started.109323

TRANSCRIPTION:

Business is so different from the way you are taught.

Our education system has taught us to approach things in a certain way, and it is not the way that works best for business.

You are taught to Get all the traffic lights green before you start.

Whereas what's best in business is to learn by actually doing stuff. You do something, you get feedback on it, you do something else. You get feedback on it.

You are trained to one, go away and study and do the best studying you can. Get all the material together, then knock it into shape, then write it all out. Make it perfect. Get all the spelling correct, all the punctuation correct.

And you might have four weeks to do it, you hand it in once and then get a mark, you don't have a chance to redo it. that is what you're trained to do and that's what you're good at. in some professions that's perfect and in some jobs that's perfect. I'd say a lot of jobs. That is perfect. You are given a task. You're to go away, figure out how to do it, come back.and your [00:01:00] bosses will look at the end result. Yeah. And you've got one chance to get it right.

When it comes to business. That can be a hindrance. That can be your Achilles heel. And that's why a lot of you guys,

all your emphasis is on learning learning is good, but the whole thing about learning for business is that ideally, you go out and do stuff, it fails, it works. You, you tweak it. That's your learning. You learn from having taken action. So if you liken that to handing an essay in school, you just hand in the, title and they go, oh, that's great, or no, and then you get it back, you change it, hand it in, change it, hand it in.

Do the outline, hand it in, get it back. Imagine that you're doing that with your teacher, they couldn't cope with that from 30 kids in a class, right?

As soon as you come across something you haven't done, folks will often go, what course should I take to be able to do this now? And that makes perfect sense because if you're in school or university or even just come out, that is what you've been trained to do, is trained to take [00:02:00] courses, to get upskill, to be able to go and do something.

And then some people will say, what certifications do I need to do to be able to do, like, for instance, Google Ads. That's what I do for businesses. What certifications do I need to do to do Google ads? You don't need to do any, you don't even need to have opened a book, which seems so weird to people who are in school.

It's like, hold on, I need to do a course, I need to read up on it. I need to go and watch the YouTube videos. Literally all you have to do is decide you're gonna help somebody with it and they go find somebody who needs that help. Right.

If you wanted to do web design, my advice would be just tell people, I'm gonna do web design.

Let everybody you know, know that. Family, friends, social media whatever. Oh, I'm doing this. Just post it in a very conversational way. And at the end of it, you ask, Do you know anybody who needs any help with this?

You're not putting anyone on the spot saying, do you need help with this? Do you know anyone who needs help with this? A lot of people are gonna be, oh yes, actually I do know somebody who needs a website and they're also [00:03:00] thinking, how can they help you get going? Yes. it's good for them to do that little introduction, they get some brownie points and feel great about it.

and boosts their, perceived value in the community, just by introducing people. So people will do that. So if you think how different that is from the way a lot of people are approaching that I suspect it's because of school. You've been trained to do things a certain way.

You need to have got a certification, done some courses, read some books, listened to podcasts, all these things to get yourself to the level where you can go and do that. You've been trained that way. The other thing that's probably related, a lot of it is a confidence thing as well.

A lot of people think they're not good enough to be able to just go and do it without having done a course first. Or I can't create websites for other people until I create one for myself first, figure it out. Or I can't create Google ads for other people until I create campaigns for myself.

Some would call that imposter syndrome. I'll just [00:04:00] say that's you thinking, I'm not good enough. I'm not fast enough, I'm not young enough, I'm not old enough, whatever it is.

You don't think you're enough. And that feeling of not thinking you're enough is what causes people to do lots of great things. It's caused the human race to go out and explore and expand and, and get into all these different places in the world and into space and underwater, etc But that can also cause you to not do things because you don't think you're ready, you don't think you're good enough, you don't think you're tall enough, fast enough, all this sort of stuff. Whenever you think you are not doing something because of that I'm not good enough gene.

Then just say to yourself, I am enough because I say I am. That's it. whenever I find myself going, oh, I better do a course on this, or I need some help with that. And I think it's something I can just go and do. I literally just, I am enough because I say I am and just get on with it.

When you're in school, you're taught to do it certain way. That is how you are [00:05:00] judged and you, don't know any different. Bless you,how could you know different? How you've been taught to approach problems is to hit the books, take courses, ask tons of people, really, you know, get it all written down the best you can.

Tons of research every book under the sun. Then you go, right, this is my solution. Guess what happens when you put that business plan out into the market? First thing that happens is, tumbleweeds market doesn't care. And you're like, whoa.

So that's why I just try to ask one simple little question that maybe just gets people pointing in a different way.

and often my question is how can you make a sale this week? How can you make a sale this week? You'll find a lot of people are building things. They're busy in their bat cave. I need to build a website. It's gonna take three months to do that. Then I need to get the backend done, all the orders and all of this. and then they're asking questions. What happens if I get too many orders? Like, what software do you use to manage customer service? You know, help desk. And they're like, have you had any sales yet?

Have you spoke to anyone? They're like, no, [00:06:00] I haven't, but I need to get all this sorted in case it's like, well, that's you solving problems you haven't got yet.

Overthinking is the art of solving problems you don't have. We're all great at it.

Do the first things first. Just do the thing that needs to be done, thing that's right in front of your face.

and start as close to the end as possible, right? So if you are, trying to get into conversation with people to maybe sell your, video editing service to people, and you wanna do it by getting into conversation.

Then if you're in a Facebook group or on LinkedIn or whatever, just get into conversation with people. Figure out how to do it in a way it's not spammy, but if that's your goal and that's how you make sales by actually messaging, hopping on a zoom and having a call. Then don't create a website with a page where people sign up to get a lead magnet about how video is great for your business.

And they get on your email list and then you put through like an order responder series of like 10 days. You create a page, create a lead [00:07:00] magnet, setting all that up just to get into a conversation with 'em. Just go and get into conversation with people in the first place. Yeah. So I, I dunno why.

Hmm. I do know why partly that is because people are telling you that you should be doing this, should be doing that. This is the way to do it. Okay.

Be careful of you saying, I need to do this, I should do that, I must, cause often that precedes a limiting belief.

I need a website to do X, Y, Z. Well, do you really need a website? is there anyone in the world who's done that thing you're trying to do without a website? That's one thing. And then be careful of the people who say, you need to do this, you need to do that.

Often that's preceding their own limiting belief that they're putting onto you. Or they're pushing their way of, doing things onto you subconsciously or consciously, whatever, maybe trying to sell you something. So a lot of reasons why people will set up, oh, I need a landing page and a lead magnet, and in order to respond to series and et cetera, et cetera.

It's because that marketing expert, that's what they [00:08:00] do. for clients or whatever, and they want you to do the same thing.

You are enough. Just say it yourself. I am enough because I say, uh, you can just go off and do it. Yeah. But all those like self-doubts don't need them. Yeah. Just go off and do it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Other people's takeaways/notes:

Thanks for the call Andy & Lawtiti! I had my mindset shifted a ton.

Here are the notes on the tidbits that I picked up during the call:

The One Thing - Solve the One Thing that’s holding you back right now avoid overthinking and solving all of your future problems

Just go do it - execution is not planning and researching everything beforehand, you’re not working on a school project, you must learn by doing

I’m not good enough - ”Before I make websites for other people I need to make a website for myself” - Just say “I’m good enough because I say I am”

Interact more - Let everyone know what you’re doing then ask: Do you know anyone who needs help with this

Good question to ask yourself starting out: how can you make 1 sale this week?

The skill teens should learn: communication - “People buy from people”, take an interest in other people

Stopping procrastination - Hop on accountability call (good resource: focusmates.com)

These were the main ideas I picked up when I asked my question:

Cold calls go into the void unlike a thread that will show goodwill - help people and be seen helping people and people will come to you

Maybe instead of cold calling: Go into facebook groups help people, and then give value for free

Thanks everyone for the meeting!

My takeaways:
-Help people.
-Learn from action
-Communication is the number one thing to learn when in teen years
-What is the number one thing to do today?

Notes from the AMAZING call:

Problems:
-If you're stuck, ask yourself: "If I only have one question what would I ask? What's the ONE thing I need to do?
->Makes things unnecessary & easy to figure out
-What's the problem right in front of me?
->Overthinking is the art of solving problems you don't have
-Sometimes you have to ask yourself one simple question to get you unstuck
-> e.g. have you made any sales yet?

School:
-You are trained to research, format, hand in once and get it marked
->School is about Go away & study ->format ->write down ->rearrange
- You get no chance to redo it
-> It's more on learning, but you have to APPLY it. Learn from action.
-We've been trained to research and to get certifications
-We've been conditioned to learn/research/find certifications
->Imposter syndrome - no confidence on yourself
-School is not fit for business
-> School conditioned you to plan everything first, plan this and that before you even begin
->just start learning from taking action
-Don't overrate grades. Focus on providing value and helping other people.

Helping People:
-People think they're not confident enough
-just help people
->Just let people know
->Ask the people around you, do you need help? Do you know anyone who needs help?

-Don't learn from books, you haven't learn something yet unless you applied it/ taken action.

-Get out there, try to help people. Even for free

-Put people first. Money is proof of helping people

-Andy Black asks himself everyday:
->Is this what I'm doing will help anyone? Am I helping one by doing this?

-Have diesel & coffee.
->Diesel meaning transport, to get there. Coffee meaning chatting, having something in common to chat about.
->Doesn't have to be in person
->When @Andy Black talks to people:
->he doesn't have an agenda & he leans into a topic that they are interested in.
->Something that can spark them up. Encourage people to chat.
->He's positive and "lives in a sunny little world" lol

-Help/serve people. Figure out how to get paid. figure out how to help/serve more people.
->Don't be naive
->Book called "Give and Take" by Adam Grant. There are three types of people:
->There are 3 types of people: Givers (people who gives), Matchers (people mirrors you) and Takers (people who takes)
->People who give, don't give too much. Don't be a doormat.

-Put people first. Focus on other people

-Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time and always start with the person closest to you.

-Everyone has challenges, see how you can help out.

Opinions on drop shipping :
-Drop shipping leans more on "selling the dream"
-> Usually doesn't fulfill needs
->First thing that people go to but usually doesn't add value
->Good experience to learn business
->Don't go drop shipping because of those "youtube videos"
-It's how you start. Are you helping people? Why are you doing this?
-> To solve a need in your area? In the world? Or just fulfill your dream of making passive income?
-It's another means to deliver value

Limiting Self Beliefs :
-If you don't think you're enough, just say you're enough cuz you say you're enough
-People don't start business because they don't think they're smart enough
- Problem -> Theory -> result -> assess
-You're enough, just do it
->First things first. Do the thing that is right in front of you
-Go have conversations with people
- Don't do something because of people saying that you have to do this or that
->Are you sure you have to do this?
->Limiting beliefs

"Sales" :
-All about I'm here to help and relax you
-Eat what you kill
-Sales is a screening process
->Finding the one who is interested and those who don't
-4 things to get referrals:
->Say what you're gonna do, be on time, be competent and have manners.

Finding needs:
-How can I help or create a product for this problem?
->Go on facebook/ nextdoor/ any social media app & see what people are talking about
->e.g. Dogs missing ~Can you invent a product? Thief breaking homes ~ Can you invent an alarm?
-You can use facebook ads/ ads spend to presell before you even order
-> arbitrage
-You will find your need when you get out of your comfort zone

Teenagers:
What skills should teens learn first?
Communication
-People buy from PEOPLE - not salesman
-> IF you can chat and enjoy, its good
->Have an interest to talk about
->People will match up your expectations. If you thinking people are interesting, they will be.
->Just enjoy life
-You don't NEED to be employed first to start a biz
-There's nothing wrong with a job
->Just help people

Procrastination:
Procrastination and Perfection are like little cousins:
->Procrastination: Put off starting
->Perfection: Put off finishing

Procrastination:
->Listen to your gut. What do you don't want or don't like?
->A little bit of knowing yourself a bit
->You could be scared of something -> Just accept it
- Am I doing people a disservice by not doing that?

Quitting Your Job:
-Keep your job and keep working until your business income matches to what your job gives
->When your business income is more than your expenses
-If you quit now, how can you last?

Awesome books and websites to visit:
Website - Alignable - small business networking
Website - AndyBlack.net - Andy Black's website
Books - Give and take by Adam Grant - About givers and takers

Here are my biggest takeaways:

- "I am enough". You can do it, don't knock yourself down a peg believing you can't
- you don't need to "learn" before you start. Just do & you'll pick it up.
- be aware of people putting limiting beliefs on you, you shouldn't "need" to do anything before you get started. (e.g go get a job to start a business, some some experience first)

My key takeaways

In school you are taught that you only have 1 attempt, therefor you master everything and spend exessive amouts of time learning. You cannot learn from your mistakes and redo it.
In business its completely different. You act, get feedback (assess), you adjust your strategy. (3As system)
You cannot get paid for what you have learned, you are paid for the output.

Overthinking creates problems you dont have yet. I dont know X, what if Y, i never worked with Z.
Stop it and just act.
Just say to yourself I am enough.

Money is proof you helped someone.
Be a giver. Train the help muscle
Is the thing im doing right now going to help someone?

Dont come across as "salesy", be a peer to people.
Be geniunely interested in people.
Make effort to meet them.

Resources mentioned:
The one thing - gary w keller
(do the most important thing, dont get stuck designing logo and a slogan. Do the thing will make the most difference

Give and take - Adam Grant
Be a giver, help people and they will help you. (on bottom and on the top of any company there are givers, to be the giver on top you must also regulate your giving - dont keep giving to someone who never gave u anything back)

Focusmate - Virtual coworking for getting anything done
you will be randomly paired up with someone and have a meeting with them, good accountability system and also to meet people. (you both say what you want to accomplish during the meeting, can be 25, 50 or 75 minutes) and you work together

After the call I joined a couple facebook groups, I got someone interested for a free website.

I'm working on it right now. Even if I'm not getting paid for it, at the very least I'm getting experience, a portfolio website to show to others, I'm helping someone in a fb community, and I could possibly get referrals.

Let's go, get up and take action. Start delivering, you're good enough already.

The call helped me clear my windshield, had a lot of questions and doubts which got explained in the call.

Yesterday I asked my father if I can make a website for him and he said yes! working on it currently.
this would look good on a portfolio and maybe I can get some bucks too... (who knows)

Also, I've joined some FB groups, but I got a restriction of 2 days from joining any group which doesn't makes sense. What I found by looking at the groups is that there are A LOT of people promoting their web design services, It's very competitive in big groups, so I'll have to go deep and find specific groups which are not filled with spam.

my main takeway/what clicked the most for me was your initial thoughts on how we get trained to do all the research up front.

Theoretically I knew it’s trial and error but my subconscious mind has been fighting it still, keeping me at the learning stage looking for courses and trying to know more before I act. When you guys said it it really sunk in that I’m wasting time at this point.

“I’m enough because I said so” I need to apply that too. I’m waaaay too much inside my own head, and looking for problems that haven’t even happened yet, and using that as an excuse to generate anxiety and stay still (again, subconsciously because nobody does it on purpose.)

If you guys do another call I’d love to be there, I’m down to share all I’ve read so far and about the things I’ve done so far, if it helps the younger folks. n_n

Essentially, in the words of Andy himself, focus more on the Who and why, and the what and how will naturally fall into place. It's that straight forward. Although I haven't made that coveted first sale yet, I've since focused more on my social skills (I was more of a shy, timid and reserved kind of guy) improving my communication with others.

And it really does work. As Andy points out in the vid, it creates this nice bubble where you view the world just a bit brighter.
An example from my personal life: Since I changed shifts for the summer (hence why I'm busier), I get to work on the outside kitchen, doing pizza. So now I had the opportunity of meeting tons of new people whom I didn't even know were working with the same company. So I took it upon myself to learn the names of each and every one of them. And it works wonders. People now start calling me by name, and some of them even approach me and we start little conversations here and there (what Andy mentions as well, finding that thing where the person is the most interested in).

I feel like I'm taking the slow and steady approach in this. Sometimes it feels like I'm running around with no clue what I'm doing. But by focusing on being sociable and helping others, I guess the other things just fall into place.

Emperor7

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 15, 2023

This 8 minute extract seems to help people so I've created a separate thread for it.

I'll upload the transcription shortly, and copy/paste other people's takeaways below.

What's your takeaways?

Originally posted here:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...lay-for-teens-students-getting-started.109323

TRANSCRIPTION:

 The main reason people aren't getting started is cuz yourself, you're getting in your own way.

You don't believe you can. So you believe you have to go on courses, learn stuff, um, acquire lots of different skills. You know, I've see some people who have gotten a list. I'm going get this skill and that skill, this skill. And I'm like, whoa, I haven't, I haven't got on any of those. I haven't even read a, don't think I've read a sales book either.

I, but I do sales all the time. You all do sales all the time. You, it's just part of life. You're chatting to people. You're trying to convince 'em. Let's go to that watch, that film versus that film, or you're just chatting to folks. So

A lot of you guys are stuck because

Business is so different from the way you are taught

Our education system has taught us to approach things in a certain way, and it is not the way that works best for business.

You are taught to line everything up before you press go. Get, you know, Get all the traffic lights green before you start.

You've probably heard that phrase. Whereas what's best in business is to learn by actually doing stuff. You do something, you get feedback on it, you do something else. You get feedback on it.

Overthinking is the art of solving problems you don't have. We're all great at it.

And you guys, especially any of you guys are still in school or college, You are trained a certain way and it makes perfect sense, I'm not knocking it at all, but You are trained that Whenever you're presented with a problem, like here's an essay, write a fi, a a thousand word essay on X, Y, Z. You will go away, do all the research, complete it all, format it all perfectly, hand it in once, that's your only chance to hand it in, and you'll get a mark returned to you.

So you are trained to one, go away and study and do the best studying you can. Get all the material together, then knock it into shape, then write it all out. Make it perfect. Get all the spelling correct, all the punctuation correct you rearrange the paragraphs, the sentences, everything, and hand it in once.

And you might have four weeks to do it, or two weeks you hand it in once you and then get a mark, you don't have a chance to redo it. So that is what you're trained to do and that's what you're good at. And in some professions that's perfect and in some jobs that's perfect. I'd say a lot of jobs. That is perfect. You are given a task. You're to go away, figure out how to do it, come back. Create a report. Submit a report, um, and your bosses will look at it and look at the end result. Yeah. And you've got one chance to get it right. Typically, that's what, that's, that's, so that's what you're trained.

That's what school's training you to do.

When it comes to business. That can be a hindrance. That can be your Achilles heel. And that's why a lot of you guys, when you join the forum and you're young, um, you can see it. I can, I can see it When I read your posts, it's like, what do I need to learn to do this?

You know, all your emphasis is on learning and that how good learning is, and learning is good, but the whole thing about learning for business is that you, ideally, you go out and do stuff, it fails, it works. You, you tweak it. That's your learning. You learn from having taken action. So if you liken that to handing an essay in school, you just hand in the, the, the title and they go, oh, that's great, or no, and then you get it back, you change it, hand it in, change it, hand it in, change it, hand it in.

Do the outline, hand it in, get it back. Imagine that you're doing that with your teacher, but they're not gonna go through that process with you all the time. I know like you'll get a bit of feedback sometimes maybe at university when you're doing dissertation or whatever, but if you were to do that with a teacher, they couldn't cope with that from 30 kids or whatever in a class, right?

And that's so different from the way you are. So

Business is so different from the way you are taught. But you,

As soon as you come across something you haven't done, folks will often go, what course should I take to be able to do this now? And that makes perfect sense because if you're in school or just, or university or even just come out, that is what you've been trained to do, is trained to take courses, to get upskill, to be able to go and do something.

And then some people will say, um, what certifications do I need to do to be able to do, like, for instance, Google Ads. That's what I do for businesses. What certifications do I need to do to do Google ads? You don't need to do any, you literally don't, you don't even need to have opened a book, which seems so weird to people who are in school.

It's like, hold on, I need to do a course, I need to read up on it. I need to go and watch the YouTube videos. Literally all you have to do is decide you're gonna help somebody with it and they go find somebody who needs that help. Right. So some of you probably wanting to do web design, um, or social media marketing.

I see that quite a common threads in the forum. Say it's web design. I, I'm bringing that up cuz I don't do Google adsd and a lot of people are, sorry. I do Google adsd. I don't do web design. If you wanted to do web design, my advice would be just tell people, this is what I'm doing now. I'm gonna do web design.

Let everybody you know, know that. So fa friends, Family, friends, social media maybe you just post it on LinkedIn, whatever. Oh, I'm doing this. Just post it in a very conversational way. And what you are asking. And at the end of it, you ask, does anybody know? Do you know anybody who needs any help with this?

You're not putting anyone on the spot saying, do you need help with this? Do you know anyone who needs help with this? A lot of people are gonna be, oh yes, actually I do know somebody who needs help with, needs a website or, and they're also thinking, how can they help you get going? Yes. So it's nice, it's good for them to do that little introduction, you know, they get some brownie points and feel great about it.

Um, and boosts their, you know, uh, their perceived value in the community, whatever, just by introducing people. So people will do that. So if you think how different that is from the way a lot of people are approaching that in the forum, and I suspect it's because of school. You've been trained to do things a certain way.

You need to have passed a cer, got a c certification, um, done some courses, read some books, listened to podcasts, all these things to get yourself to the level where you can go and do that. That's one thing is You've been trained that way. The other thing that, um, that's probably related, a lot of it is a confidence thing as well.

A lot of people think they're not con, they're not good enough to be able to just go and do it without having done a course first. Or I can't create websites for other people until I create one for myself first, figure it out. Or I can't create, like, I can't create Google ads for other people until I create campaigns for myself.

You know? So that, that's like Some would call that imposter syndrome. I'll just say this that's you thinking, you're not good enough, you know, so I don't, I'm not good enough. I'm not fast enough, I'm not young enough, I'm not old enough, whatever it is.

You don't think you're enough. You know? And that feeling of not thinking you're enough is what causes people to create lot and do lots of great things. You know, It's caused the human race to go out and explore and expand and, and like get into all these different places in the world and into space and underwater, etc But that can also cause you to not do things because you don't think you're ready, you don't think you're good enough, you don't think you're tall enough, fast enough, all this sort of stuff. And his, his tip for me, and I'll give it to you cause I thought it was amazing. He just literally said, Whenever you think you are not doing something because of that I'm not good enough gene.

Then just say to yourself, I am enough because I say I am. That's it. Literally. So whenever I find myself going, oh, I better do a course on this, or I better, I need some help with that. And it's, I think it's something I can just go and do. I literally just, I am enough because I say I am and just get on with it.

When you're in school, you're taught to do it certain way. That is how you are judged and you, you don't know any different. Bless you, is what I wanna say. You know, how could you know different? That is, is literally what you've been taught to do. How you've been taught to approach problems is to hit the books, take courses, ask tons of people, really, you know, get it all written down the best you can.

Tons of research every book under the sun. Then you go, right, this is my solution. Guess what happens when you put that business plan out into the market? First thing that happens is, uh, tumbleweeds market isn't, doesn't care. And you're like, whoa.

So that's why if you read a lot of my little, I, I, but in the forum, I just try to pop in, try and ask one simple little question that maybe just gets people pointing in a different way.

And then I, I leave. That's how I bounce around in so many threads, and often my question is like, how can you make a sale this week? How can you make a sale this week? You'll find a lot of people are building things. They're busy in their bat cave. I need to build a website. It's gonna take three months to do that. Then I need to get the backend done, all the orders and all of this. Um, and then they're asking questions. What happens if I get too many orders? Like, what software do you use to manage customer service? You know, help desk. And they're like, have you had any sales yet?

Have you spoke to anyone? They're like, no, I haven't, but I need to get all this sorted in case it's like, well, that's you solving problems you haven't got yet.

And you guys, especially any of you guys are still in school or college, You are trained a certain way and it makes perfect sense,

Do the first things first. Just do the thing that needs to be done, thing that's right in your front of your face.

Um, and then actually, and another one that I really, really like, a line that somebody told me was start as close to the end as possible, right? So if you are, are, if you are trying to get into conversation with people to maybe sell your, I dunno, video editing service to people, and you wanna do it by getting into conversation.

Then if you're in a Facebook group or on LinkedIn or whatever, just get into conversation with people. Figure out how to do it in a in a, in a way it's not spammy, but if that's your goal and that's how you start, how you make sales by actually messaging, hopping on a zoom and having a call. Then don't create a website with a page where people sign up to get a lead magnet about how video is great for your business.

And they get on your email list and then you put through like an order responder series of like 10 days. Set up. So you'll You create a page, create a lead magnet, setting all that up just to get into a conversation with 'em. Just go and get into conversation with people in the first place. Yeah. So I, I dunno why.

Hmm. I do know why partly that is because people are telling you that you should be doing this, should be doing that. This is the way to do it. Okay. Um, and I do, I have mentioned it a few times in the forum.

Be careful, careful of you saying, I need to do this, I should do that, I must, cause often that precedes a limiting belief.

You know, I need a website to do X, Y, Z. Well, do you really need a website? Can you do, uh, is there anyone in the world who's done that thing you're trying to do without a website? Like, I, I barely have a website. That's one thing. And then be careful of the people who say, you need to do this, you need to do that.

So Often it, that's preceding their own limiting belief that they're putting onto you. Or they're pushing their way of, of doing things onto you subconsciously or consciously, whatever, maybe trying to sell you something. So a lot of reasons why people will set up, oh, I need a landing page and a lead magnet, and in order to respond to series and et cetera, et cetera.

It's because that marketing expert, that's what they do. That's how they work. Uh, that's what they do for clients or whatever, and they want you to do the same thing.

You are enough. Just say it yourself. I am enough because I say, uh, you can just go off and do it. Yeah. But all those like self-doubts don't need them. Yeah. Just go off and do it.
Thanks Andy!!
This was informative

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Etti

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Sep 26, 2022

What's your takeaways?

Originally posted here:

TRANSCRIPTION:

 The main reason people aren't getting started is cuz yourself, you're getting in your own way.

You don't believe you can. So you believe you have to go on courses, learn stuff, um, acquire lots of different skills. You know, I've see some people who have gotten a list. I'm going get this skill and that skill, this skill. And I'm like, whoa, I haven't, I haven't got on any of those. I haven't even read a, don't think I've read a sales book either.

I, but I do sales all the time. You all do sales all the time. You, it's just part of life. You're chatting to people. You're trying to convince 'em. Let's go to that watch, that film versus that film, or you're just chatting to folks. So

A lot of you guys are stuck because

Business is so different from the way you are taught

You are taught to line everything up before you press go. Get, you know, Get all the traffic lights green before you start.

You've probably heard that phrase. Whereas what's best in business is to learn by actually doing stuff. You do something, you get feedback on it, you do something else. You get feedback on it.

And you guys, especially any of you guys are still in school or college, You are trained a certain way and it makes perfect sense, I'm not knocking it at all, but You are trained that Whenever you're presented with a problem, like here's an essay, write a fi, a a thousand word essay on X, Y, Z. You will go away, do all the research, complete it all, format it all perfectly, hand it in once, that's your only chance to hand it in, and you'll get a mark returned to you.

So you are trained to one, go away and study and do the best studying you can. Get all the material together, then knock it into shape, then write it all out. Make it perfect. Get all the spelling correct, all the punctuation correct you rearrange the paragraphs, the sentences, everything, and hand it in once.

And you might have four weeks to do it, or two weeks you hand it in once you and then get a mark, you don't have a chance to redo it. So that is what you're trained to do and that's what you're good at. And in some professions that's perfect and in some jobs that's perfect. I'd say a lot of jobs. That is perfect. You are given a task. You're to go away, figure out how to do it, come back. Create a report. Submit a report, um, and your bosses will look at it and look at the end result. Yeah. And you've got one chance to get it right. Typically, that's what, that's, that's, so that's what you're trained.

When it comes to business. That can be a hindrance. That can be your Achilles heel. And that's why a lot of you guys, when you join the forum and you're young, um, you can see it. I can, I can see it When I read your posts, it's like, what do I need to learn to do this?

You know, all your emphasis is on learning and that how good learning is, and learning is good, but the whole thing about learning for business is that you, ideally, you go out and do stuff, it fails, it works. You, you tweak it. That's your learning. You learn from having taken action. So if you liken that to handing an essay in school, you just hand in the, the, the title and they go, oh, that's great, or no, and then you get it back, you change it, hand it in, change it, hand it in, change it, hand it in.

Do the outline, hand it in, get it back. Imagine that you're doing that with your teacher, but they're not gonna go through that process with you all the time. I know like you'll get a bit of feedback sometimes maybe at university when you're doing dissertation or whatever, but if you were to do that with a teacher, they couldn't cope with that from 30 kids or whatever in a class, right?

As soon as you come across something you haven't done, folks will often go, what course should I take to be able to do this now? And that makes perfect sense because if you're in school or just, or university or even just come out, that is what you've been trained to do, is trained to take courses, to get upskill, to be able to go and do something.

And then some people will say, um, what certifications do I need to do to be able to do, like, for instance, Google Ads. That's what I do for businesses. What certifications do I need to do to do Google ads? You don't need to do any, you literally don't, you don't even need to have opened a book, which seems so weird to people who are in school.

It's like, hold on, I need to do a course, I need to read up on it. I need to go and watch the YouTube videos. Literally all you have to do is decide you're gonna help somebody with it and they go find somebody who needs that help. Right. So some of you probably wanting to do web design, um, or social media marketing.

I see that quite a common threads in the forum. Say it's web design. I, I'm bringing that up cuz I don't do Google adsd and a lot of people are, sorry. I do Google adsd. I don't do web design. If you wanted to do web design, my advice would be just tell people, this is what I'm doing now. I'm gonna do web design.

Let everybody you know, know that. So fa friends, Family, friends, social media maybe you just post it on LinkedIn, whatever. Oh, I'm doing this. Just post it in a very conversational way. And what you are asking. And at the end of it, you ask, does anybody know? Do you know anybody who needs any help with this?

You're not putting anyone on the spot saying, do you need help with this? Do you know anyone who needs help with this? A lot of people are gonna be, oh yes, actually I do know somebody who needs help with, needs a website or, and they're also thinking, how can they help you get going? Yes. So it's nice, it's good for them to do that little introduction, you know, they get some brownie points and feel great about it.

Um, and boosts their, you know, uh, their perceived value in the community, whatever, just by introducing people. So people will do that. So if you think how different that is from the way a lot of people are approaching that in the forum, and I suspect it's because of school. You've been trained to do things a certain way.

You need to have passed a cer, got a c certification, um, done some courses, read some books, listened to podcasts, all these things to get yourself to the level where you can go and do that. That's one thing is You've been trained that way. The other thing that, um, that's probably related, a lot of it is a confidence thing as well.

A lot of people think they're not con, they're not good enough to be able to just go and do it without having done a course first. Or I can't create websites for other people until I create one for myself first, figure it out. Or I can't create, like, I can't create Google ads for other people until I create campaigns for myself.

You know? So that, that's like Some would call that imposter syndrome. I'll just say this that's you thinking, you're not good enough, you know, so I don't, I'm not good enough. I'm not fast enough, I'm not young enough, I'm not old enough, whatever it is.

You don't think you're enough. You know? And that feeling of not thinking you're enough is what causes people to create lot and do lots of great things. You know, It's caused the human race to go out and explore and expand and, and like get into all these different places in the world and into space and underwater, etc But that can also cause you to not do things because you don't think you're ready, you don't think you're good enough, you don't think you're tall enough, fast enough, all this sort of stuff. And his, his tip for me, and I'll give it to you cause I thought it was amazing. He just literally said, Whenever you think you are not doing something because of that I'm not good enough gene.

Then just say to yourself, I am enough because I say I am. That's it. Literally. So whenever I find myself going, oh, I better do a course on this, or I better, I need some help with that. And it's, I think it's something I can just go and do. I literally just, I am enough because I say I am and just get on with it.

When you're in school, you're taught to do it certain way. That is how you are judged and you, you don't know any different. Bless you, is what I wanna say. You know, how could you know different? That is, is literally what you've been taught to do. How you've been taught to approach problems is to hit the books, take courses, ask tons of people, really, you know, get it all written down the best you can.

Tons of research every book under the sun. Then you go, right, this is my solution. Guess what happens when you put that business plan out into the market? First thing that happens is, uh, tumbleweeds market isn't, doesn't care. And you're like, whoa.

So that's why if you read a lot of my little, I, I, but in the forum, I just try to pop in, try and ask one simple little question that maybe just gets people pointing in a different way.

And then I, I leave. That's how I bounce around in so many threads, and often my question is like, how can you make a sale this week? How can you make a sale this week? You'll find a lot of people are building things. They're busy in their bat cave. I need to build a website. It's gonna take three months to do that. Then I need to get the backend done, all the orders and all of this. Um, and then they're asking questions. What happens if I get too many orders? Like, what software do you use to manage customer service? You know, help desk. And they're like, have you had any sales yet?

Have you spoke to anyone? They're like, no, I haven't, but I need to get all this sorted in case it's like, well, that's you solving problems you haven't got yet.

And you guys, especially any of you guys are still in school or college, You are trained a certain way and it makes perfect sense,

Do the first things first. Just do the thing that needs to be done, thing that's right in your front of your face.

Um, and then actually, and another one that I really, really like, a line that somebody told me was start as close to the end as possible, right? So if you are, are, if you are trying to get into conversation with people to maybe sell your, I dunno, video editing service to people, and you wanna do it by getting into conversation.

Then if you're in a Facebook group or on LinkedIn or whatever, just get into conversation with people. Figure out how to do it in a in a, in a way it's not spammy, but if that's your goal and that's how you start, how you make sales by actually messaging, hopping on a zoom and having a call. Then don't create a website with a page where people sign up to get a lead magnet about how video is great for your business.

And they get on your email list and then you put through like an order responder series of like 10 days. Set up. So you'll You create a page, create a lead magnet, setting all that up just to get into a conversation with 'em. Just go and get into conversation with people in the first place. Yeah. So I, I dunno why.

Hmm. I do know why partly that is because people are telling you that you should be doing this, should be doing that. This is the way to do it. Okay. Um, and I do, I have mentioned it a few times in the forum.

Be careful, careful of you saying, I need to do this, I should do that, I must, cause often that precedes a limiting belief.

You know, I need a website to do X, Y, Z. Well, do you really need a website? Can you do, uh, is there anyone in the world who's done that thing you're trying to do without a website? Like, I, I barely have a website. That's one thing. And then be careful of the people who say, you need to do this, you need to do that.

So Often it, that's preceding their own limiting belief that they're putting onto you. Or they're pushing their way of, of doing things onto you subconsciously or consciously, whatever, maybe trying to sell you something. So a lot of reasons why people will set up, oh, I need a landing page and a lead magnet, and in order to respond to series and et cetera, et cetera.

It's because that marketing expert, that's what they do. That's how they work. Uh, that's what they do for clients or whatever, and they want you to do the same thing.

boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyye did i need this! thanks so much man! greatly appreciated!

Emperor7

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 15, 2023
Stop waiting for the best time.
My personal takeaway is, of course don't wait for the best time and most importantly in my words...do what's in your way first, execute with what you have.
You're welcome. Glad it helped.

What were your main takeaways? What will you do different going forward?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyye did i need this! thanks so much man! greatly appreciated!
That's great. Can you expand on what it's helped you with?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Michael Ankrah

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 23, 2023

What's your takeaways?

Originally posted here:

TRANSCRIPTION: (I'll update this so it's fully in synch with the video later)

 Business is so different from the way you are taught.

That's great. Can you expand on what it's helped you with?
So l watched the video and read the transcript too, so l got a question, what if you’re learning because while trying to solve someone problem and there’s no way to overcome it except getting good enough to cross that hurdle, so is that way okay or not?

Secondly what if l wanna practice real World applications cause I’m learning web design so l can offer it as a service, so what if l tell myself I’m good enough and take on someone work and don’t finish it in the timeframe l gave them, isn’t that like reducing my chances of getting referrals from that person later on down the line even if l get better in the service I’m offering, since l didn’t do their work good enough so they won’t wanna refer me to their friends and family,
so what l think one should do is, one should learn but not try to learn everything cause nobody can learn everything, but learn enough so that you can start offering your service and then learn the balance on the job

That’s just my take though
Would love your feedback on it thought sir?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
what if you’re learning because while trying to solve someone problem and there’s no way to overcome it except getting good enough to cross that hurdle, so is that way okay or not?
Absolutely. I contend that's the best way of learning. Learn to solve the problem right in front of you.

what if l tell myself I’m good enough and take on someone work and don’t finish it in the timeframe l gave them, isn’t that like reducing my chances of getting referrals from that person later on down the line even if l get better in the service I’m offering, since l didn’t do their work good enough so they won’t wanna refer me to their friends and family,
Be honest upfront and set expectations correctly?

"I'm getting into web design and would love to create a 5-page site for someone for free/a low price in exchange for a testimonial. Do you know anyone who might be interested?"

what l think one should do is, one should learn but not try to learn everything cause nobody can learn everything, but learn enough so that you can start offering your service and then learn the balance on the job
You could do. Or you could decide to help someone with XYZ, look or ask around for someone who needs help with XYZ, and then do XYZ while helping them.

These might help:

EDIT: Look what I just found too:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Recent feedback:

Here's some takeaways

You basically taught about how the critical thinking is important which I didn’t use much of my life, I just followed the advice and resources.

First thing I get is I don’t need to take permission or validation from any kind of authority or credible source to do something. Just do it.

From what I understand is I have to be thinking more like a monkey, you jump around and explore & simply be nasty, then you poke and back, poke and back, much like the mosquitoes in the night. Even though a human can clap the mf in a second.

Another thing I learned is Nothing is hard & fast. My opinions about things should not be binary. Much like I’m missing the untapped gray area and orange area in between.

My mistake is that I was chasing after the perfect circumstances to occur before I start taking some action and using it as an excuse.

What I'll be doing differently
I'll try every possible way to use tools & technologies to my advantage in order to acquire clients & deliver the quality work that they need. Rather than going about it only organically or finding that "perfect strategy" for client acquisition.

I don't need to waste my time over some "green light" and I'll start working on it immediately.

After getting the outcome of work, I'll use all the advice in the world I've got to assess my work, and then do it better the next time.

A Realization
I didn't realize my mind was in such a limiting belief even though a literal book pointed it out to me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.