The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Engineer To Author - Journey In To Self-Publishing Books And Courses

Noam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 5, 2014
Hi everyone!

My friend recommended I read Millionaire Fastlane and I burned through it. It really got me excited and gave me some really helpful hints of how to progress.

Back Story - WTF ENGINEER TO AUTHOR
Grew up with a lot of limiting beliefs, but was always a really smart and hard working kid. In the past few years, life has DRASTICALLY improved in terms of friends, health, relationships, etc.

I got an undergrad degree in Biomedical And Mechanical Engineering because I had always wanted to make artificial hearts. Then I started my Master's degree and found self-improvement resources which flipped my world upside down.

Self-improvement changed my life, and I felt something inside that said I can use what I learned to help other people.

Mid-way through my Master's I realized it wasn't really what I wanted to do, but it was worth it just to finish it since I had already done so much - it was pretty soul-crushing though.

After finishing I traveled Europe for 3 months, then was deciding what I wanted to do with my life.

I wrote down all the options I had, but decided to be a freelance writer, and work on my own blog on the side (it was a personal project I started two years ago for fun).

I made money as a freelance writer, but I realized - I didn't really care to write other people's stuff. People told me my writing was amazing and one guy even said that what I wrote for him was the single best piece of writing he had received in his 7 years of business.

It felt really good to hear that but this proved to me - people will pay for my writing and I write well!

So I said F*ck it, I want to try and live my dream! - Helping people and writing, while being location independent... NOT sitting in an office 9-5.

I quit everything and decided to focus on my own writing full-time.

What I Write About
My writing is all non-fiction, based on self-improvement.

What's Your Plan
I'm using my blog, Light Way Of Thinking (http://www.lightwayofthinking.com), to bring people to me and show off my products. Completely re-designing it right now.

I plan on writing books and creating online courses while also doing consultations.

The blog is focused on helping people with anxiety and depression live fuller and happier lives using natural tools and with HARD WORK - versus magic pills, both figuratively and literally.

Actions
- Again, I'm re-designing the blog right now.
- I'm writing my first book, the draft of which I want finished by end of November, to be published end of December. It will probably be around 100-120 pages.
- I have LOTS of entrepreneurs as friends along with people who have done marketing before, so I have a really good support system.
- I create community every day by posting on other blogs and posting things on my social media accounts.
- I write a new blog post every week.
- I currently live in Canada but will be moving to Asia at the end of January (after product release) for a lower cost of living, and release 2 more products then.

I'm writing this thread to show people how I progress along my path (doing something TOTALLY unrelated to what I did in school), and to ask for feedback and advice from people who have already published their own stuff.

If I run out of money, I can always get a part-time job to support myself. Or, I can work full-time as an engineer if I'm in trouble.

In other words - no reason not to give it my all!

My strengths are that I work hard, am passionate, love learning, and am willing to admit when I don't know something (hence one of the reasons I'm here - I want help learning about the Amazon eco-system, copywriting, marketing and so on!)

My weaknesses are that I sometimes OVER-work and burn out, I am perfectionist and it keeps me from releasing my items at times, and I can be extremely self-critical. I also again, do not have much of a background in marketing, sales, or copywriting.

But life's all about learning ;)

I hope you join me in my journey! Will try to update this thread at least once a week.

Thanks for reading XD!​

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

seamles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 30, 2014
Look forward to seeing how you progress. Coming from a non entrepreneur background for me has been tougher and just starting to find people who can help. Great that you already have a strong support system!

1milclub

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jan 27, 2014
US
Thanks for sharing. Glad to see you have figured out the purpose and strength. These are the key ingredients of the success, so you are on the right path. Keep us informed. All the best,

P.S. Not sure if you meant that, but the link for "self-improvement" you have in the second paragraph of Back story links to this post only.

Noam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 5, 2014
Look forward to seeing how you progress. Coming from a non entrepreneur background for me has been tougher and just starting to find people who can help. Great that you already have a strong support system!
Thanks seamles! I looked through your thread as well. I hope the medical books turn out well, I might use my engineering knowledge for books in the future... But right now, I use it more for thinking logically and organization :)

Noam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 5, 2014
Thanks for sharing. Glad to see you have figured out the purpose and strength. These are the key ingredients of the success, so you are on the right path. Keep us informed. All the best,

P.S. Not sure if you meant that, but the link for "self-improvement" you have in the second paragraph of Back story links to this post only.
Thanks!

Not sure what you mean, but I didn't link that text. Maybe it's from the keywords I input in the thread?

Just a bit of an extension on my action plan, I write between 500 (really bad days) - 2000 (really good days) words of my book 5 days a week. I'm usually averaging around the 1000 word mark. It's getting pretty close to being done, it's just going to need a lot of editing, fine tuning, and marketing :)

Noam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 5, 2014
Weekly update:

A bit under the weather so no work done today, but wrote another 4000-5000 words on the book. Looked at my outline and it's actually almost done, so definitely will hit the end of November deadline I'm pretty sure :).

Also did a lot of work on the site. That should also be updated and finished by end of next week.

After that it's working with some friends/looking in to how to market this product successfully for release before 2014 ends!

Noam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 5, 2014
BIG UPDATE

I think this was the most productive week of my life, hit a lot of milestones:

1. Did my first webinar (streamed live and on YouTube)
To get the word out about the blog. Small audience of my friends and small cafe, but it was a goal of mine to do my first public appearance and it only builds momentum :). Check it out here:

2. Finished my book draft
Right now it sits at 100 pages, but I'm guessing with edits it will end up at 110-115.

3. Finished my website copy
A friend is editing it, then it goes up live. I did a whole bunch of tweaks and colour modifications after installing a premium WordPress theme as well.

4. First guest post
Wrote my first guest post for a higher profile blog. Should be up next week.

Today I'm also going to book a flight to Asia to start my location independent traveling at the beginning of February!

Next week I'm talking to a friend about marketing strategy to really grow my blog and get the word out about the product. Editing also starts. Going to send out a newsletter, and most importantly go through my steps to take the book to publishing looking at resources on this forum and elsewhere.

My plan right now is to stick to the Amazon kindle store since it seems like a good way to get started, and a lot of the marketing is done for you. Perhaps I will also market it in the future/sell it directly off my site, but I'm looking for an easy way to get into self-publishing, and Amazon seems like a good way. If I see something on the forum that provides really good justification I'll change, but for now, Amazon.

The big thing this week is that I've been handling stress very well and over thinking less - so I have far more energy and time. Still got a good work-life balance going on too.

Onwards and upwards!

Peakdesire

Burning Desire to Succeed
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Hey man great stuff!

I'm also doing a blog and will be releasing a self-improvement & motivational ebook in the near future. And also starting kindle publishing!

Amazon is definitely the best way to get into self-pub.

I will be following your journey for sure!

What are your daily habits if i may ask?

Noam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 5, 2014
Hey man great stuff!

I'm also doing a blog and will be releasing a self-improvement & motivational ebook in the near future. And also starting kindle publishing!

Amazon is definitely the best way to get into self-pub.

I will be following your journey for sure!

What are your daily habits if i may ask?
Hey man awesome! Shoot me a PM with some of your details. Maybe we can help each other out (e.g. you can review my book, I review yours, we tweet out about them to generate publicity, etc.).

Haha funny story, I actually did a productivity talk for my Mastermind group a while back. I'm known as the most productive of the group :p. I'm definitely going to make a productivity book and possibly a course for my next product.

You'll have to be more specific though, I have like a billion small little things I do each day. Are you talking work schedule, health,...?

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Hey man awesome! Shoot me a PM with some of your details. Maybe we can help each other out (e.g. you can review my book, I review yours, we tweet out about them to generate publicity, etc.).

Haha funny story, I actually did a productivity talk for my Mastermind group a while back. I'm known as the most productive of the group :p. I'm definitely going to make a productivity book and possibly a course for my next product.

You'll have to be more specific though, I have like a billion small little things I do each day. Are you talking work schedule, health,...?

I'll shoot you a pm.

Hah cool.

Give me a your top 3 productivity tips?

Noam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 5, 2014
Oh man only 3? Tough but I'd say:

1. Follow a maximum 6 hours of work a day rule using 90minute splits and Pomodoros
A human can only do 6 hours of productive work a day, and the best only do 4.5 (http://blog.pickcrew.com/waste-time-with-the-ones-you-love/). I usually aim for 4.5-5.

What I do is work in 60-90 minute intervals, or 2-3 Pomodoros. After that, I take 30-60minutes off to eat, go outside, etc.

However during these 60-90 minutes I DO NOTHING ELSE BUT WORK. Nobody talks to me, nobody interrupts. These are very serious because I get "in my zone" :p.

2. Set up a schedule
I'm pretty anal about a scheduled plan in Google calendar (complete with when I write blog posts articles, check e-mail, etc.)... I don't stick to it 100%, but it just helps me know when I'm on track/off track. It also shows me where I have free time to do things like gym, hang out with friends... all of which are ESSENTIAL to being able to keep cranking out awesomeness.

3. Do weekly goals/3 things to do each day
I write a weekly goal sheet which I discuss with my Mastermind group. I also write for myself, at the end of each work day, the top 3 things I want to get done the next day. I write the goal sheet on the computer, but the top 3 things in a notebook I scribble stuff in. That way no time wasted thinking about what to do, you hit the ground running.

Bonus tip - get the hell outside and again, see your friends and stuff. All work makes you incredibly unproductive. I am not a fan of the "you need to work 14 hours a day" thing a lot of entrepreneurs say. Honestly I'd rather maintain more health and sanity compared to putting in ungodly hours. If that means it takes longer for my business to succeed or I need a small side job to keep going, so be it. But balance is key.

Draven Grey

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Oct 21, 2014
Denver, CO
Brilliant advice. It took me years to learn how to be the most effective and efficient in my work towards my goals. You just perfectly described what I've found to be the best way to do just that.

Jam Wheel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 14, 2014
UK/US/SE
I tried the Pomodoro method to increase my writing speed and found it actually held me back. Maybe its the type of fiction I am writing at the moment (erotica/e-rom) where you can get on a roll and bang out the better part of a book in two hours and not even notice where the time went. Actually, I can get easily distracted, so its headphones + drone music + setting external of my current place of residence = most productivity.

The 4.5 hours of human productivity is really interesting though. About 4 hours into a daily writing session I am pooped. By then I am ready to pack up and get the grocery shopping done, walk home, do anything BUT think. I am still searching for a career-related job, and let me tell you, actually applying for jobs in the afternoon some days is easier than writing.

Scheduling is huge, I agree. I don't block off down to the hour, but I like to get writing by 9:15 ( I get up at 6:30 though, so I may spend an hour before outlining at home before heading out), until around 1 or 1.30, futz around at home after that for a few hours, and then either get some admin stuff done in the evenings or get out and get some more exercise. I find that it gives some "guideposts" to the day so that I don't feel guilty about not writing OR guilty about doing something else that is equally important to a balanced life OR taking care of random things that pop up.

Totally agree with lists. I may not always get everything done on my list in a day if something or other comes up, but if its critical it WILL get done. Also, it helps get stuff out of my head, otherwise it just swirls around like a blocked up toilet all day long. Put it on paper and free your mind for other, more important, things.

Noam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 5, 2014
Thanks, Draven!

Jam Wheel - Yeah right now all I write is non-fiction, and I find after 25 minutes of focused writing on one thing, I don't want to look at it anymore. For my next book I may do 2 Pomodoros at a time, but that's it. Otherwise, I get bored and annoyed.

I agree with the guideposts thing. Again, I used to be REALLY hard on myself if I didn't stick to my schedule hardcore or my goals. Now again, I know if I couldn't stick to it/need to do something else, it's OK and won't matter in 2 years when I'm thinking back on my life (OMG I missed 20 minutes on my schedule). But, because of all the things I have to do during the day, I know it IS best for me to stick to start and end times. E.g. if I start work at 10:30 and put a 7 hour block to 5:30 with 4.5-5 hours of work + breaks, at 5:30 I stop. I have other things to do and need my sleep.

Definitely all about writing things down. I'm a huge journaler and just pour any thought down into it. Better there than crowding up necessary space in my brain.

Noam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 5, 2014
Didn't do nearly as much as I wanted to this week, but pretty close to it. Was trying to start my days at 7AM instead of 8AM, but just started desperately needing more sleep with so much to do. Got started on editing, got a blog post up, sent out my first newsletter started doing some title brainstorming, and laid out all the steps to go from editing to publishing in ASANA. Listened to a Podcast as well. Couldn't arrange for the marketing meeting, friend was busy.

Realized this week I shove WAY too much in one day. I get super productive, but then burn myself out and can't do work for an entire day or most of a day because I am rushing. I'd rather move deadlines back a bit and be able to breathe and relax more.

Good week overall though!

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Oh man only 3? Tough but I'd say:

1. Follow a maximum 6 hours of work a day rule using 90minute splits and Pomodoros
A human can only do 6 hours of productive work a day, and the best only do 4.5 (http://blog.pickcrew.com/waste-time-with-the-ones-you-love/). I usually aim for 4.5-5.

What I do is work in 60-90 minute intervals, or 2-3 Pomodoros. After that, I take 30-60minutes off to eat, go outside, etc.

However during these 60-90 minutes I DO NOTHING ELSE BUT WORK. Nobody talks to me, nobody interrupts. These are very serious because I get "in my zone" :p.

2. Set up a schedule
I'm pretty anal about a scheduled plan in Google calendar (complete with when I write blog posts articles, check e-mail, etc.)... I don't stick to it 100%, but it just helps me know when I'm on track/off track. It also shows me where I have free time to do things like gym, hang out with friends... all of which are ESSENTIAL to being able to keep cranking out awesomeness.

3. Do weekly goals/3 things to do each day
I write a weekly goal sheet which I discuss with my Mastermind group. I also write for myself, at the end of each work day, the top 3 things I want to get done the next day. I write the goal sheet on the computer, but the top 3 things in a notebook I scribble stuff in. That way no time wasted thinking about what to do, you hit the ground running.

Bonus tip - get the hell outside and again, see your friends and stuff. All work makes you incredibly unproductive. I am not a fan of the "you need to work 14 hours a day" thing a lot of entrepreneurs say. Honestly I'd rather maintain more health and sanity compared to putting in ungodly hours. If that means it takes longer for my business to succeed or I need a small side job to keep going, so be it. But balance is key.

That's awesome!

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Looking at your website, I think you should change the subscription offer. Doesn't catch the eye, the free gift is not highlighted enough.

Also, I didn't like some of the content.
The post about pick-up artists is full of bs. There is no "MDA movement", it's a word you invented. As for the five "lies", all of them are things that the community does not "perpetuate" at all - they actually say the opposite. You should check your facts if you want to write correct information.

In general, I think the contrast between text and background is not enough. Tires the eyes.

Noam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 5, 2014
Hey Noam

sounds like you've got it sussed on the productivity front.

If you've got any books up on kindle, and they are getting good reviews, have good covers etc, drop me a PM

I am an author too, but I also run the promotions for Buck Books at

Always looking for good books to feature, and the promos are FREE to authors

Good luck

Steve
Hey Steve.

Thanks for the offer! I'll get in touch once things start going up on the Kindle store.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 5, 2014
Looking at your website, I think you should change the subscription offer. Doesn't catch the eye, the free gift is not highlighted enough.

Also, I didn't like some of the content.
The post about pick-up artists is full of bs. There is no "MDA movement", it's a word you invented. As for the five "lies", all of them are things that the community does not "perpetuate" at all - they actually say the opposite. You should check your facts if you want to write correct information.

In general, I think the contrast between text and background is not enough. Tires the eyes.
Hey Digamma, thanks for the feedback. Always looking for ways to improve.

I agree with the sub offer. Honestly because it's not created yet I didn't know how exactly to phrase/copywrite it best. I'm creating my book titles/pitches this week, and afterwards the sub offer will change as well.

Totally cool, I don't expect everyone to like it :).

- Not sure what you mean by it being BS. MDA is men's dating advice, and there's TONS of that out there, especially with the PUA scene still being prominent. Then you have things like Mark Manson, No More Mr Nice Guy, even stuff from random guys sites like askmen.com

- I disagree. Again, I write what I believe in. A lot of advice in the PUA realm can be helpful, a lot is hurtful. You might feel a different side of it, and that's fine. The point of the post is not that this is ONLY what the communities perpetuate, but that if you get into certain schools of thought and beliefs, you can end up in pretty dark places.

- I keep trying to change the text to BLACK but for some reason it's not going through, I agree the grey isn't the best. Will either keep plugging away or get support from my theme developers.

G

GuestUser113

Hey Noam

sounds like you've got it sussed on the productivity front.

If you've got any books up on kindle, and they are getting good reviews, have good covers etc, drop me a PM

I am an author too, but I also run the promotions for Buck Books at http://buckbooks.net

Always looking for good books to feature, and the promos are FREE to authors

Good luck

Steve

Hey Steve.

Thanks for the offer! I'll get in touch once things start going up on the Kindle store.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/i-am-not-responsible-required-reading.20271/

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I agree with the sub offer. Honestly because it's not created yet I didn't know how exactly to phrase/copywrite it best. I'm creating my book titles/pitches this week, and afterwards the sub offer will change as well.
I really think the button color is a putoff. A dark red, maybe?

- I disagree. Again, I write what I believe in. A lot of advice in the PUA realm can be helpful, a lot is hurtful. You might feel a different side of it, and that's fine. The point of the post is not that this is ONLY what the communities perpetuate, but that if you get into certain schools of thought and beliefs, you can end up in pretty dark places.
Of course you write what you believe in. I'm not arguing your opinions. I'm arguing your facts. Let me explain point by point.
1 - Exactly the opposite of what puas say. You cannot get any girl you want. The common idea is that you will date a match. The idea is to better yourself so that you are worth more. You can have whatever opinion you want, but here you are putting words in other people's mouth.
Of course you will find some snake oil seller who promises you Emma Watson or something. But that's not the "community standard".
2 - Results matter in order to judge your progress when learning something. How else would you? But I can understand your point.
3 - Quite the opposite, the whole idea is for men to stop identify their worth with the women they sleep with.
4 - Again quite the opposite, it's about realizing that you should strive to be better for yourself, not for women.
The whole community is full of morons, but these things? Nope.

- I keep trying to change the text to BLACK but for some reason it's not going through, I agree the grey isn't the best. Will either keep plugging away or get support from my theme developers.
Why don't you try a darker gray? [HASHTAG]#333[/HASHTAG] looks pretty good in that theme.

Noam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 5, 2014
I really think the button color is a putoff. A dark red, maybe?

Of course you write what you believe in. I'm not arguing your opinions. I'm arguing your facts. Let me explain point by point.
1 - Exactly the opposite of what puas say. You cannot get any girl you want. The common idea is that you will date a match. The idea is to better yourself so that you are worth more. You can have whatever opinion you want, but here you are putting words in other people's mouth.
Of course you will find some snake oil seller who promises you Emma Watson or something. But that's not the "community standard".
2 - Results matter in order to judge your progress when learning something. How else would you? But I can understand your point.
3 - Quite the opposite, the whole idea is for men to stop identify their worth with the women they sleep with.
4 - Again quite the opposite, it's about realizing that you should strive to be better for yourself, not for women.
The whole community is full of morons, but these things? Nope.

Hey.

I don't want to get into a huge debate or discuss this more here, this isn't the forum for it. But the concept of the article was that a lot of ADVERTISEMENT for MDA/PUA play on the insecurities of guys who can't/don't get women. If you don't think that's true, OK. I'm also not referring to the journey a guy might have as he travels along in the community and what he discovers about himself and what he wants.

That's a WHOLE different story.

Noam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 5, 2014
UPDATE
----------

I finished editing my book on screen and decided to pay for an editor. I got a reference from a guy who was interviewed by Smart Passive Income (podcast here: http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/author-empire-steve-scott/). If anybody wants the guy's contact info, PM me. I'll post on how the editing went after I get my manuscript back. Turn around time of a week.

Today I'm going to re-look at my schedule. With other priorities, planning for Vietnam, New Year's etc... I'm hoping I can still get the book out on Jan.16 and perhaps even a bit earlier. As I'm learning to focus on the CORE needs (and disregarding things that just overcomplicate my life and business for no reason), I'm moving faster.

Next week it's finalizing the titles, getting a cover designed, and writing sales copy and stuff for the Kindle store. Also I have two pictures I'm going to get a graphic designer friend to draw. This way once I have the book edited, I can go through it again one more time, make the changes, and push that baby out!

So looking forward to the celebration once it's done! It's going to be up for free for the first few days as promotion, and I'll post the link.

I've collected strategies for promotion and getting sales from different blog articles, mentors, and podcasts. They all seem to point generally to the same thing, but I've synthesized it into my own way. If it works, I'll report back here for everyone's benefit (or maybe turn it into a nice blog post).

So yeah! A bit nervous, but really excited. I'm not expecting to make much money off the book, though that would be nice considering I've been writing it for so long XD. But either way, it'll be a learning experience for the next one, and social proof on my website.

GratefulScorpio

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Dec 12, 2014
Great stuff Noam, I can realte with the personal development!

I wish you much success, you're going good!

My life also changed when I started learning about myself and my mind, how I have the power to change anything!

It really works! - After seeing results in my own life, I feel that it would be great to extend the knowledge I gained to other people who feel "stuck and lost" and that excites me! (what's better than seeing someone happier or hopefull- and you are a big part of it)

So I started a blog (not as far as you though).

I am currently doing some research and trying to find my unique angle on the subject to provide value to people who need it.
(There are a lot of P.development blogs out there,)

You have your angle: help people with depression and anxiety.

I am thinking on providing motivation, but it is still to broad, i want to narrow it down.
(maybe for people who want to start their own business and don''t know how or where to start - or feeling stuck / give up)

I was also looking for ways to monetize my blog - came up with writing my own e-books and online courses or membership programs!

Coaching online is not for me, because that's like another job (time spent consulting)

Let's connect, since we are in the same field - there is no competition only creation and support!

peace!

Noam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 5, 2014
Great stuff Noam, I can realte with the personal development!

I wish you much success, you're going good!

My life also changed when I started learning about myself and my mind, how I have the power to change anything!

It really works! - After seeing results in my own life, I feel that it would be great to extend the knowledge I gained to other people who feel "stuck and lost" and that excites me! (what's better than seeing someone happier or hopefull- and you are a big part of it)

So I started a blog (not as far as you though).

I am currently doing some research and trying to find my unique angle on the subject to provide value to people who need it.
(There are a lot of P.development blogs out there,)

You have your angle: help people with depression and anxiety.

I am thinking on providing motivation, but it is still to broad, i want to narrow it down.
(maybe for people who want to start their own business and don''t know how or where to start - or feeling stuck / give up)

I was also looking for ways to monetize my blog - came up with writing my own e-books and online courses or membership programs!

Coaching online is not for me, because that's like another job (time spent consulting)

Let's connect, since we are in the same field - there is no competition only creation and support!

peace!
Hey man thanks for the words of encouragement!

Yeah personal development is pretty saturated, but I didn't see anyone covering the angle of anxiety and depression from the point of using self-improvement tools, or showing someone that suffers/suffered from them can still kick major a$$.

I agree with coaching. It's not something I want to do forever. But, I love helping people and also I think it will be very useful for learning. Of course, the money is nice too :p.

Shoot me a PM with your blog URL!

Noam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 5, 2014
UPDATE
----------

Working/Slacking
So this week I slacked a bit. I attribute this to not heading to an office/staying home. I know I do less work I was just being lazy. Also, I don't celebrate Christmas (but I did go to a friend's family dinner), but being around people on holidays does NOT make you want to work. First rule of productivity - control your environment.

Lesson - go to office everyday, and I have one thanks to a friend that's a subway away. Don't like spending money right now or prepping tons of food, but it's worth it for the peace and quiet, and less distraction.

I got a blog post up about travelhacking, very well received :).

Kindle Account And Canadians/Taxes - !IMPORTANT!
I'm also glad I set up my KDP account this week - there was some stuff about taxes I had to figure out as a Canadian. For those reading, you will be taxed by the US government (30% withheld on Amazon) and AGAIN by the Canadian government if you don't set up your tax information properly.

In your Kindle account, go to tax information and put your SIN number as your international tax number. The Canadian and US governments have an agreement about taxation, but it's up to you to set the stuff up.

Freebies
I also wrote a freebie give away for my book to capture e-mails/leads. This took more time than I thought, but I think is far more worthwhile then some of the other stuff I wanted to do this week (e.g. writing the book's conclusion and a sales description).

Edits
My edits from the freelancer came back. Seems like he did a really thorough job. Going to go through it next week.

Cover
Sent my cover design off/hired someone off Fiverr. Looking forward to seeing what they can do!

Next week with New Year's I'm taking one day off (won't be in much state to work XD), but otherwise it's pushing until Jan 10. Jan 10 I want the book all ready to be published (edited etc.). I'll take a week off, then Jan.19 I publish it and start the promotion process of reviews. I'll have ask for reviews before to bump up my book (and send out free copies on the 10th), but here I'll be monitoring full time. I want my week off to be scott free of responsibility, I'm F*cking tired! I definitely feel myself needing a break! Thankfully, that week and then my mini-retirement travelling to Vietnam should be good :).

So yeah, some missteps but all in all not too bad. Mainly I definitely feel fatigue setting in. This is the final steps and push to get this done, and I'll work as much as I need to to hit my deadline - it's time to get this published.

thriveful

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Not sure if that 'heads up' on the previous page was aimed at me, but I will say that the promotions you do on a book when publishing it to kindle are critical, and giving a book the best start in the first 30 days, to get more exposure in the New and Noteworthy sections, and to get Amazon actually marketing your book for you are all too important to the success of a book.

[edited out] makes a small affiliate income from the books we promote, the promos cost the author nothing. All you need to do is drop your book to 99 cents for 24 hours, and give us some love by sending some of your rabid fans to the site to get your book. Nothing shady, look around and you'll see that Buck Books is growing exponentially. It will be bigger than [edited out] in a year, and still free to authors.

I'm just offering a helping hand to get you, and anyone else with a great book, some Amazon love and sales right at the start, when the book needs it.

Steve

[edited by Mod: AllenCrawley]

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Not sure if that 'heads up' on the previous page was aimed at me, but I will say that the promotions you do on a book when publishing it to kindle are critical, and giving a book the best start in the first 30 days, to get more exposure in the New and Noteworthy sections, and to get Amazon actually marketing your book for you are all too important to the success of a book.

[edited out] makes a small affiliate income from the books we promote, the promos cost the author nothing. All you need to do is drop your book to 99 cents for 24 hours, and give us some love by sending some of your rabid fans to the site to get your book. Nothing shady, look around and you'll see that Buck Books is growing exponentially. It will be bigger than [edited out] in a year, and still free to authors.

I'm just offering a helping hand to get you, and anyone else with a great book, some Amazon love and sales right at the start, when the book needs it.

Steve

[edited by Mod: AllenCrawley]
@thriveful I had to delete your first post as it was clearly spam. This post may not have had a live link but clearly it was a promotional post. Please refer to the forum rules regarding what is considered spam and promotion. If you would like to promote your website and services please purchase a marketplace ad.

thriveful

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Mar 23, 2013
UK
@thriveful I had to delete your first post as it was clearly spam. This post may not have had a live link but clearly it was a promotional post. Please refer to the forum rules regarding what is considered spam and promotion. If you would like to promote your website and services please purchase a marketplace ad.
Hi

How the hell was it spam. I joined this forum in 2013, got involved in other things, and am now on my own entrepreneurial journey, so came back over. It wasn't promotional, I couldn't care less if the guy wants a free promo on his book, I'm just offering to help him.

It just so happens that I also became the gatekeeper for an incredible business that helps self published authors to give their books an incredible boost in Amazon's kindle store. It is free for the author, no upsells, nothing to sell.

I find a guy on here who is writing a book, and I try to help him out as best I can. He'll either pay out for book promos with no certainty of success, or he'll try and do it on his own, and likely fail, as most self published authors do when starting out.

OR, someone who is in the self publishing business spots his post, and offers him a helping hand, providing his book is good enough.

If he was struggling with cover design, and I ran a cover making business and offered to help him for free, would that be spam? I t hink not. It would be one human being trying to help another out, as I am doing here.

If you don't want forum members to offer mutual assistance when they can, for no monetary exchange, let me know.

Regards

Steve

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads