The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

YOUR SYSTEM is more important than your EFFORT.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I tweeted this and posted it in the Telegram Group, and felt it needed to be here, as well as the newsletter.

Whatever you think, I think this is the most understated, important concept for obtaining financial freedom.

I realize that might be controversial, but it isn't when you consider the fastest man on earth is NOTHING when hindered by a poor system.

The most powerful factor in wealth creation has nothing to do with motivation. It has nothing to do with effort, persistence, discipline, or the usual suspects commonly pushed. While these help, the most important thing is likely something you never considered.

It's this...

The most powerful tool for wealth creation is within the SYSTEM you put yourself in. Your choices dictate the system. For example, if you elect to get a job as an electrician, that's a system. A doctor? A system. A cashier? It's a system. Nurse? You've given yourself a system.

Likewise, electing to be an entrepreneur also endows you with a system.

Starting a sandwich shop on the corner? System.
Starting a software company? System.
Joining an MLM to sell overpriced goods and far-fetched fantasies? System.
Starting a YouTube channel? System.

Self-endowed systems go beyond jobs and business. An aspiring actor is part of a system. Artists. If you become a politician and are elected, congratulations; you're now part of a system. Enter office with a net worth of $1M, leave 15 years later with $250M.

Ultimately, the SYSTEM determines how your EFFORT, motivation, and discipline compounds into momentum, or lack of it. The SYSTEM determines if you have access to asymmetrical leverage--which creates wealth- or no leverage at all.

What leverage does your system offer? Or does it?

The best analogy of the SYSTEM/EFFORT Concept is equate your system to a vehicle.

Many jobs are like a tricycle.

If you throw Usain Bolt on a tricycle, you'd beat him in a race. Did he suddenly get slow? No, the problem is a poor system suddenly marginalizes his EFFORT.

So many people work harder and longer than myself. And they're more talented. Their work ethic isn't the issue; it's that the system they've adopted hinders their effort.

systemEffort.png

Want to get paid what you're worth? Change your damn system and get off the tricycle.

This is why Fastlane Entrepreneurship is the most potent SYSTEM; it's a system swap where your effort compounds and gives asymmetrical leverage a chance. A great effort in the JOB SYSTEM gives you a 4% raise. A great effort in a BIZ SYSTEM gives you a 4000% raise.

SYSTEM > EFFORT > MOMENTUM (via Compounding)

Choose wisely.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

anamosa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 7, 2023
I tweeted this and posted it in the Telegram Group, and felt it needed to be here, as well as the newsletter.

Whatever you think, I think this is the most understated, important concept for obtaining financial freedom.

I realize that might be controversial, but it isn't when you consider the fastest man on earth is NOTHING when hindered by a poor system.

The most powerful factor in wealth creation has nothing to do with motivation. It has nothing to do with effort, persistence, discipline, or the usual suspects commonly pushed. While these help, the most important thing is likely something you never considered.

It's this...

The most powerful tool for wealth creation is within the SYSTEM you put yourself in. Your choices dictate the system. For example, if you elect to get a job as an electrician, that's a system. A doctor? A system. A cashier? It's a system. Nurse? You've given yourself a system.

Self-endowed systems go beyond jobs and business. An aspiring actor is part of a system. Artists. If you become a politician and are elected, congratulations; you're now part of a system. Enter office with a net worth of $1M, leave 15 years later with $250M.

Ultimately, the SYSTEM determines how your EFFORT, motivation, and discipline compounds into momentum, or lack of it. The SYSTEM determines if you have access to asymmetrical leverage--which creates wealth- or no leverage at all.

The best analogy of the SYSTEM/EFFORT Concept is equate your system to a vehicle.

If you throw Usain Bolt on a tricycle, you'd beat him in a race. Did he suddenly get slow? No, the problem is a poor system suddenly marginalizes his EFFORT.

So many people work harder and longer than myself. And they're more talented. Their work ethic isn't the issue; it's that the system they've adopted hinders their effort.

View attachment 51181

Want to get paid what you're worth? Change your damn system and get off the tricycle.

This is why Fastlane Entrepreneurship is the most potent SYSTEM; it's a system swap where your effort compounds and gives asymmetrical leverage a chance. A great effort in the JOB SYSTEM gives you a 4% raise. A great effort in a BIZ SYSTEM gives you a 4000% raise.

Choose wisely.
I am so dumb
What does ecommerce include

Amazon fba?
Shopify stores
Like physical merch? Or can this include digital products such as online education , courses etc

Great insight thanks for sharing with us

harlansjobs

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 31, 2018

It's this...

View attachment 51181

Choose wisely.
Absolutely systems are essential or you are just stumbling around in the dark. Someone I worked with got tired of working crappy jobs. She joined a network marketing company, not an MLM.They sell Jewlery and cosmetics. She has built a team with at least 10 people under her. She has built up a network where those 10 people do parties and sell things. Some are building their own downline and some are not. Even when everything was closed due to the pandemic, she worked it through privately visiting her people and zoom meetings to keep them going.

She has gotten to the point where she has won cars, vacations and more. How much money has she made? Enough to buy a house for her, her partner and their 6 kids. She credits the SYSTEM for doing it. So yes, systems are imperative to success.

NathanN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jul 27, 2022
Vancouver, B.C.
The system is so essential. There is many hard working people around all of us in our lives, and some can't ever get ahead just due to the fact the math is wrong in their life, and the system they use won't ever provide more than what they put in.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
I am so dumb

Amazon fba?
Shopify stores
Like physical merch? Or can this include digital products such as online education , courses etc

Ecom im pretty sure is just a online store.

Amazon, EBay, and more are e-commerce stores.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
I would like add that for each system there are also sub-system.

If you want to become actor and your goal is being a a-lister live in Los Angeles and not in Dallas...

If you want to build a SAAS business you better solve a solution that solves a big problem vs. a small problem.

Yet if you solve a small problem with a SAAS business that's likely better than opening a hot dog stand.

@MJ DeMarco do you agree?

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
I am so dumb

Amazon fba?
Shopify stores

for me ecommerce has been the tricycle and the marketing service business is like a truck.
if i make enough distance with the truck, the ecom tricycle becomes a ferrari.

I guess each one is a different vehicle for everyone depending where you are.

(it's like you don't have enough money to buy gas for the car, but on a bike you don't need to)

a better angle might be... you need more than one vehicle

Costa

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
618%
Dec 8, 2022
Zero to Hero
Playing to Win, instead of Playing to Not Lose/ Playing Safe.

Should it be considered as a system? Or we talking about more practical things?

John TenBrink

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jan 26, 2018
Raleigh
Damn, that is some tough medicine to swallow, but so true.

I've owned a "corner cafe" that sucked my time and life and left me losing everything but the clothes on my back. Then, I switched to a SAAS model which has unlimited income potential and more time freedom. I cringe when people excitedly tell me they're opening a food-service business.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I would like add that for each system there are also sub-system.

If you want to become actor and your goal is being a a-lister live in Los Angeles and not in Dallas...

If you want to build a SAAS business you better solve a solution that solves a big problem vs. a small problem.

Yet if you solve a small problem with a SAAS business that's likely better than opening a hot dog stand.

@MJ DeMarco do you agree?

Absolutely.

An actor trying to make it in Dallas is not the same system as an actor in LA.

A SAAS business with a narrow target is a different system than one with a larger audience.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
An extreme example of system vs effort:

A content writer might get paid a penny per word to write an article, including the headline. One word = $0.01

A business owner could change one word in an ad headline they've already written and double their return on ad spend. One word = 2x current return on ad spend, which could mean 4, 6, 8x profit depending on their margins, which could mean 6 figures, 7 figures, 8 figures plus.

1 cent vs. potentially millions. Same input (one word), vastly different result

luminis_

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Aug 27, 2022
A business owner could change one word in an ad headline they've already written and double their return on ad spend. One word = 2x current return on ad spend, which could mean 4, 6, 8x profit depending on their margins, which could mean 6 figures, 7 figures, 8 figures plus.
Reminds me of that David Oglivy quote:

"On the average, five times as many people read the headline as read the body copy. When you have written your headline, you have spent eighty cents out of your dollar"

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I am so dumb

Amazon fba?
Shopify stores

E=internet
Commerce=commerce

If there’s a buy now and a checkout page on a website that pays you per sale you are doing internet commerce

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
I am just wondering whether my system works exponentially.

I guess I am still getting along the runway, let alone getting off the ground.

Got me thinking.

Got to have a serious meeting with my partner.

Chrisrod2597

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Feb 3, 2022

It's this...

View attachment 51181

Choose wisely.
Excellent post! The first time I read TMF I did not completely understand exactly what you meant by creating the right system, now I understand what you mean. Most people hinder their success because they try to make it from NYC to LA with a tricycle instead of a air plane. The right business system will get people to success much faster then a job that will take 50 years to just reach $1 million if lucky.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Excellent post! The first time I read TMF I did not completely understand exactly what you meant by creating the right system, now I understand what you mean. Most people hinder their success because they try to make it from NYC to LA with a tricycle instead of a air plane. The right business system will get people to success much faster then a job that will take 50 years to just reach $1 million if lucky.

I'm quite shocked this post didn't get more traction -- I've been at this forum for 15 years and I've made tens of thousands of posts, over 37,000!!!

If there was ONLY ONE post I could force someone to read to help them on their journey, this post would be it. And yet, it barely has 20 replies, but the guy who wants to do nothing and blame luck, has 80 replies.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Having a system sounds so much better than taking on contracts or a full-time job about now.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
I'm quite shocked this post didn't get more traction -- I've been at this forum for 15 years and I've made tens of thousands of posts, over 37,000!!!

If there was ONLY ONE post I could force someone to read to help them on their journey, this post would be it. And yet, it barely has 20 replies, but the guy who wants to do nothing and blame luck, has 80 replies.
CFBR

:rofl::hilarious:

The post is super detailed and on to the point. This post hit hard for all the slowlaners and those who have been stuck in shitty businesses.

A MUST READ

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK

It was so clear and concise I thought adding to it would be a waste of space :happy:

Now I've gone from scraping by to having something of a business, the tasks are piling up and creating some systems are something I need to take seriously.

Vox

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Oct 1, 2023

Well, yeah. Me too.

Look I'm a n00b to thefastlaneforum, and I've only read The Fastlane Millionaire (working on the other 2 next) but I can see why this post doesn't engender a flood of responses. But it should. This post really resonated with me.

I worked 20+ years as in Tech an employee after a 4 year stint in the military. I went to school. Got 2 advanced degrees. One of them is a Masters in Business.
System. System. System. System. I purposefully put myself in a system that would systematically take advantage of my skills and labor, while concurrently limiting my potential. For 20+ years! On purpose! To myself. I did this.

I was an okay airman. I was a great employee. Wherever I went I quickly grew bored and was promoted. Or recruited. Either to more responsibility or more responsibility AND leadership. But guess where that system got me? (hint, I'm no longer an employee)

I was a stellar student. GPA aside, guess where the Masters in Business got me...
6+ failed businesses!

Why did they fail? Sure I take full responsibility. But at least some small part of it was the Systems that I was in.

So I worked hard for 20 years and what do I have to show for it besides bitterness and some good friendships? Firsthand knowledge of what MJ was purposefully avoiding after graduating college when he took that pizza delivery job and that limo driver job. No matter what I did, how much value I brought, no matter how much revenue I generated I never made more than $65k in a month. The system made sure of that.
If I had controlled the system (CENTS) I would have been making AT LEAST 3 to 4x that amount.

If you are reading this and considering anything other than fully controlling your own framework, please reconsider.
Thanks MJ for putting into words what I had been feeling in the back of my head for close to a decade.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

I hear you MJ. I feel that way sometimes. A lot of folks seem more focused on navel gazing where they are and why, instead of taking action.

J Mutua

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Apr 21, 2023
Kenya
So TRUE!!!

Its SYSTEMS THAT BUILD WEATLH.

For example, a farmer could have all the right tools, the most motived farm workers, the best seeds in the world and the greatest farming methods known to mankind...but if he selects a highly infertile piece of land, not matter how great his farming efforts are, he will never achieve the success he desires simply due to the fact that the "natural system" he selected is inefficient.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
This thread has been on my mind ever since you referred me to it. I particularly like the graphic showing efficient and inefficient vehicles.

Since you mentioned a YouTube channel in your post, how does this fit into the efficient/inefficient framework? You could say it can scale and your rewards can be explosive. But with the level of competition and YouTube's ridiculous policies that can ban your channel for no reason at any moment, isn't your effort restrained and hampered?

I imagine it could be a category on its own. It's sort of like being on a motorboat towed by a huge tanker in the middle of the ocean (along with thousands of other boats). Efficient but only as long as you're being towed. When the rope gets cut, you're F*cked.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
This thread has been on my mind ever since you referred me to it. I particularly like the graphic showing efficient and inefficient vehicles.

Since you mentioned a YouTube channel in your post, how does this fit into the efficient/inefficient framework? You could say it can scale and your rewards can be explosive. But with the level of competition and YouTube's ridiculous policies that can ban your channel for no reason at any moment, isn't your effort restrained and hampered?

I imagine it could be a category on its own. It's sort of like being on a motorboat towed by a huge tanker in the middle of the ocean (along with thousands of other boats). Efficient but only as long as you're being towed. When the rope gets cut, you're F*cked.

Yeh it doesn't help when the system you use can pull the rug from you in an instant.

It seems this applies the most to internet related businesses.

Nothing more than squaters in an empty house that google or YouTube can kick us out of at a moments notice.

Rug pulls everywhere and no control.

Last edited:

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Powerful and severely underappreciated post. Systems have been on my mind a lot this year especially now that I'm getting older and no longer have the same level of energy that I had when I was in my 20's.

I'm convinced there are 3 core systems that biz owners need to focus on:

1. Lead generation(how to get a ton of traffic to your biz)
2. Sales(how to convert the traffic into $)
3. Service/product delivery(how to create a streamlined delivery machine so that the customers stay with you for many years to come)

I am prepared to be tarred and feathered for this, but I tell everyone to go work for a large corporation for a few years in order to learn those 3 systems listed. Imagine getting paid to learn how a billion dollar company's systems work...that's a deal haha! You could either take 10 years to learn it on your own or just get in the trenches and learn it in 1 year from a proven company.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I am prepared to be tarred and feathered for this, but I tell everyone to go work for a large corporation for a few years in order to learn those 3 systems listed. Imagine getting paid to learn how a billion dollar company's systems work...that's a deal haha! You could either take 10 years to learn it on your own or just get in the trenches and learn it in 1 year from a proven company.
Well... at least your prediction is on point :rofl:

The problem is that those systems will be different for a billion dollar company vs a startup – not only are they different, they MUST be different for each to be successful. As such, your experience will only be useful if you're actually going to manage a billion dollar company at the end of it.

I've worked with hundreads of agency owners – usually those with the most corporate experience prior to starting their agency struggle mightly with running an independent business. They can't handle rejection, don't understand the priorities of a small business and so on.

A business looks very different at different stages of its lifecycle. Just like you can't learn how to be successful as a child by watching and imitating your grandfather, you can't learn how to build a startup by looking at how a billion-dollar company is run.

So... if you want to build a startup, the shortcut is to go work for one.

Personally I've always prefered the long road of learning it by myself though :innocent: :halo:

Pain Brain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 19, 2023
Powerful and severely underappreciated post. Systems have been on my mind a lot this year especially now that I'm getting older and no longer have the same level of energy that I had when I was in my 20's.

I'm convinced there are 3 core systems that biz owners need to focus on:

1. Lead generation(how to get a ton of traffic to your biz)
2. Sales(how to convert the traffic into $)
3. Service/product delivery(how to create a streamlined delivery machine so that the customers stay with you for many years to come)

What large corporation would you suggest to get a handle on the 3 systems? Or more specifically what large corporation would be ideal to exercise these 3 systems in a position offered by the company?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

That's simply part of the system.

You're in a system where if your content is questionable to the YT censors, you get removed.

Part of the system.

It is also part of the system that if you post 100 videos in 200 days, one of them might go viral and you end up with 1M subscribers and now can leverage influence.

System.

I disagree but no need to be tarred or feathered. I understand your point and it makes sense, I just see the means not getting to the end.

I would think one would be better served getting a job in a small business that makes millions. For example, there's a local HVAC company here with 100s of trucks -- I'm sure the owners are making bank. Likewise, there's a commercial RE agent here who is EVERYWHERE (the guy owns Skinwalker Ranch) -- if you get a job with these small, but big organizations, you'd learn a lot.

Then you can observe these practices.

I find it hard to believe that if I got a job up the street for Adobe at its huge corporate campus, that I'm gonna get an inside peak at these systems you mention. No, you'd be merely a cog in a wheel with no insights to gain.

It's kinda like saying that if you can become a food vendor selling hotdogs at the ballpark, you're gonna glean insights into owning a major league baseball team. Unless you're in the C-Suite (or near it) you unlikely won't find the secrets you're looking for.

These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.