- Joined
- Nov 5, 2014
- Messages
- 33
Rep Bank
$220
$220
User Power: 127%
Hi everyone!
My friend recommended I read Millionaire Fastlane and I burned through it. It really got me excited and gave me some really helpful hints of how to progress.
Back Story - WTF ENGINEER TO AUTHOR
Grew up with a lot of limiting beliefs, but was always a really smart and hard working kid. In the past few years, life has DRASTICALLY improved in terms of friends, health, relationships, etc.
I got an undergrad degree in Biomedical And Mechanical Engineering because I had always wanted to make artificial hearts. Then I started my Master's degree and found self-improvement resources which flipped my world upside down.
Self-improvement changed my life, and I felt something inside that said I can use what I learned to help other people.
Mid-way through my Master's I realized it wasn't really what I wanted to do, but it was worth it just to finish it since I had already done so much - it was pretty soul-crushing though.
After finishing I traveled Europe for 3 months, then was deciding what I wanted to do with my life.
I wrote down all the options I had, but decided to be a freelance writer, and work on my own blog on the side (it was a personal project I started two years ago for fun).
I made money as a freelance writer, but I realized - I didn't really care to write other people's stuff. People told me my writing was amazing and one guy even said that what I wrote for him was the single best piece of writing he had received in his 7 years of business.
It felt really good to hear that but this proved to me - people will pay for my writing and I write well!
So I said F*ck it, I want to try and live my dream! - Helping people and writing, while being location independent... NOT sitting in an office 9-5.
I quit everything and decided to focus on my own writing full-time.
What I Write About
My writing is all non-fiction, based on self-improvement.
What's Your Plan
I'm using my blog, Light Way Of Thinking (http://www.lightwayofthinking.com), to bring people to me and show off my products. Completely re-designing it right now.
I plan on writing books and creating online courses while also doing consultations.
The blog is focused on helping people with anxiety and depression live fuller and happier lives using natural tools and with HARD WORK - versus magic pills, both figuratively and literally.
Actions
- Again, I'm re-designing the blog right now.
- I'm writing my first book, the draft of which I want finished by end of November, to be published end of December. It will probably be around 100-120 pages.
- I have LOTS of entrepreneurs as friends along with people who have done marketing before, so I have a really good support system.
- I create community every day by posting on other blogs and posting things on my social media accounts.
- I write a new blog post every week.
- I currently live in Canada but will be moving to Asia at the end of January (after product release) for a lower cost of living, and release 2 more products then.
I'm writing this thread to show people how I progress along my path (doing something TOTALLY unrelated to what I did in school), and to ask for feedback and advice from people who have already published their own stuff.
If I run out of money, I can always get a part-time job to support myself. Or, I can work full-time as an engineer if I'm in trouble.
In other words - no reason not to give it my all!
My strengths are that I work hard, am passionate, love learning, and am willing to admit when I don't know something (hence one of the reasons I'm here - I want help learning about the Amazon eco-system, copywriting, marketing and so on!)
My weaknesses are that I sometimes OVER-work and burn out, I am perfectionist and it keeps me from releasing my items at times, and I can be extremely self-critical. I also again, do not have much of a background in marketing, sales, or copywriting.
But life's all about learning
I hope you join me in my journey! Will try to update this thread at least once a week.
My friend recommended I read Millionaire Fastlane and I burned through it. It really got me excited and gave me some really helpful hints of how to progress.
Back Story - WTF ENGINEER TO AUTHOR
Grew up with a lot of limiting beliefs, but was always a really smart and hard working kid. In the past few years, life has DRASTICALLY improved in terms of friends, health, relationships, etc.
I got an undergrad degree in Biomedical And Mechanical Engineering because I had always wanted to make artificial hearts. Then I started my Master's degree and found self-improvement resources which flipped my world upside down.
Self-improvement changed my life, and I felt something inside that said I can use what I learned to help other people.
Mid-way through my Master's I realized it wasn't really what I wanted to do, but it was worth it just to finish it since I had already done so much - it was pretty soul-crushing though.
After finishing I traveled Europe for 3 months, then was deciding what I wanted to do with my life.
I wrote down all the options I had, but decided to be a freelance writer, and work on my own blog on the side (it was a personal project I started two years ago for fun).
I made money as a freelance writer, but I realized - I didn't really care to write other people's stuff. People told me my writing was amazing and one guy even said that what I wrote for him was the single best piece of writing he had received in his 7 years of business.
It felt really good to hear that but this proved to me - people will pay for my writing and I write well!
So I said F*ck it, I want to try and live my dream! - Helping people and writing, while being location independent... NOT sitting in an office 9-5.
I quit everything and decided to focus on my own writing full-time.
What I Write About
My writing is all non-fiction, based on self-improvement.
What's Your Plan
I'm using my blog, Light Way Of Thinking (http://www.lightwayofthinking.com), to bring people to me and show off my products. Completely re-designing it right now.
I plan on writing books and creating online courses while also doing consultations.
The blog is focused on helping people with anxiety and depression live fuller and happier lives using natural tools and with HARD WORK - versus magic pills, both figuratively and literally.
Actions
- Again, I'm re-designing the blog right now.
- I'm writing my first book, the draft of which I want finished by end of November, to be published end of December. It will probably be around 100-120 pages.
- I have LOTS of entrepreneurs as friends along with people who have done marketing before, so I have a really good support system.
- I create community every day by posting on other blogs and posting things on my social media accounts.
- I write a new blog post every week.
- I currently live in Canada but will be moving to Asia at the end of January (after product release) for a lower cost of living, and release 2 more products then.
I'm writing this thread to show people how I progress along my path (doing something TOTALLY unrelated to what I did in school), and to ask for feedback and advice from people who have already published their own stuff.
If I run out of money, I can always get a part-time job to support myself. Or, I can work full-time as an engineer if I'm in trouble.
In other words - no reason not to give it my all!
My strengths are that I work hard, am passionate, love learning, and am willing to admit when I don't know something (hence one of the reasons I'm here - I want help learning about the Amazon eco-system, copywriting, marketing and so on!)
My weaknesses are that I sometimes OVER-work and burn out, I am perfectionist and it keeps me from releasing my items at times, and I can be extremely self-critical. I also again, do not have much of a background in marketing, sales, or copywriting.
But life's all about learning
I hope you join me in my journey! Will try to update this thread at least once a week.
Thanks for reading XD!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
