The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does It Hurt Bad Enough?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
A traveling salesmen was passing thru a small country town and stopped at a mom and pop convenient store to pick up snacks and a drink. The place was an old building with old wooden floors and owned by a man well into his later years.

As the salesman shopped he noticed a bloodhound laying in the corner. Every once in a while the dog would let out a soft howling moan. The salesman came to the register to pay. As the store owner and the man made small talk the bloodhound let out another painful moan. This prompted the salesman to ask, "What is wrong with your dog? Is he okay? He seems to be in some kind of pain."

The old store keeper said, "Oh, there be a nail that sticks up out the floor board over there and he just happens to be layin' on it".

"Well he's surely in some pain. Why don't he just get up and find another place to lay down?"

The store owner thought for a second and said, "Well... I reckon it just don't hurt that bad."

For many, many years I was that bloodhound.

I'd whine, moan, groan and complain about my situation... my lot in life.

One day I realized I had the power to do something about it. I guess I always had some understanding of this but never a revelation of it until February, 2013.

No, I never took NLP classes or studied Tony Robbins material (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that). I just had an epiphany, a 'sudden and striking realization' that I've settled and everything that I've moaned about was a result of past decisions and I had the power to change it.

I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I couldn't take the pain of laying on that nail any longer.

I got up and moved.

I surrounded myself with world class people.

Changed my mindset. Changed my lifestyle. Changed my diet. Changed my friendships. Changed my geographic location.

And me and my family's world has drastically changed forever for the better. Physically, Financially, Relationally and Spiritually.

A few days ago we celebrated our 1 year anniversary of moving to Arizona. Hands down the best decision we have ever made. There is no going back to that 'nail in the floor'.

TL;DR

I'll close with a question...

Is the dissatisfaction of your current 'lot in life' painful enough to do something drastic enough to bring about a change?

Life doesn't get better by chance. It gets better by change.

W88HqrH.jpg

Take care my friends.

Allen

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

rogen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 27, 2013
-
Everytime I wonder about something, I open fastlane forum and.. BAM there's topic about EXACT thing I was thinking of.

I don't know man. I can't afford to waste another year, I know it, but sometimes I just loose all hope, there are days when I'm super motivated, and days when I'm just like "meh, don't bother doing anything today" and I plunge into deep abyss of negative thoughts.

It's so hard to get up and get going, or atleast I make it so by thinking "I'm not good enough"

Last edited:

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
Good job Allen. Happy for you. I know you are a good guy just from hearing you moderate the INSIDERS Calls.

It takes balls to make that jump.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
A traveling salesmen was passing thru a small country town and stopped at a mom and pop convenient store to pick up snacks and a drink. The place was an old building with old wooden floors and owned by a man well into his later years.

As the salesman shopped he noticed a bloodhound laying in the corner. Every once in a while the dog would let out a soft howling moan. The salesman came to the register to pay. As the store owner and the man made small talk the bloodhound let out another painful moan. This prompted the salesman to ask, "What is wrong with your dog? Is he okay? He seems to be in some kind of pain."

The old store keeper said, "Oh, there be a nail that sticks up out the floor board over there and he just happens to be layin' on it".

"Well he's surely in some pain. Why don't he just get up and find another place to lay down?"

The store owner thought for a second and said, "Well... I reckon it just don't hurt that bad."

For many, many years I was that bloodhound.

I'd whine, moan, groan and complain about my situation... my lot in life.

One day I realized I had the power to do something about it. I guess I always had some understanding of this but never a revelation of it until February, 2013.

No, I never took NLP classes or studied Tony Robbins material (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that). I just had an epiphany, a 'sudden and striking realization' that I've settled and everything that I've moaned about was a result of past decisions and I had the power to change it.

I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I couldn't take the pain of laying on that nail any longer.

I got up and moved.

I surrounded myself with world class people.

Changed my mindset. Changed my lifestyle. Changed my diet. Changed my friendships. Changed my geographic location.

And me and my family's world has drastically changed forever for the better. Physically, Financially, Relationally and Spiritually.

A few days ago we celebrated our 1 year anniversary of moving to Arizona. Hands down the best decision we have ever made. There is no going back to that 'nail in the floor'.

TL;DR

I'll close with a question...

Is your dissatisfaction of your current 'lot in life' painful enough to do something drastic enough to bring about a change?

W88HqrH.jpg

Take care my friends.

Allen

I remember the day you packed as much as you could fit in the trailer and headed south.

I haven't been worried about you since that day.

Even though I know it wasn't easy, and even though we both know that life won't be smooth from the day the trailer doors close forward,

what I do know is

having the guts to swing for the fences means

that some day

the ball will go over the fence.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Sometimes the change can be a relatively simple change...

Cancel the cable subscription.
Sell the xbox.
Sell your TV.
Get up 3 hours earlier.
Go for a walk every day.

Sometimes the change has to be more drastic...

Move out of your parents home.
Quit your job.
End a relationship.
Move to another state.
Drop out of college.

I don't know what it is that will catapult you out of the situation you're in to a whole new life. It's not for me to tell you. It's for you to figure out... and then do it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ha, I remember talking to you at B&P as the seed become entrenched in the soil. Your eyes had a particular glow and yearning to them. At that point, I knew you'd be out here eventually. So cool to hear it has reaped dividends and that you are happy with the decision.

Happiness is success.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Aside from the fact that you left somewhere that is uninhabitable for 6 months out of the year, and moved somewhere that is also uninhabitable 6 months out of the year...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
and moved somewhere that is also uninhabitable 6 months out of the year...

That's a myth. It's only 3 months, and within those 3 months, it's only uninhabitable while the sun is shining. So the real net in-habitation is about 45 days. And this year, we were spared such brutality.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Aside from the fact that you left somewhere that is uninhabitable for 6 months out of the year, and moved somewhere that is also uninhabitable 6 months out of the year...

LOL, I'll take the heat and sunshine over the gray skies, cold, ice and snow... any day.

This does bring up a point or a question.

Where would you thrive?

Some people would thrive being around all their loved ones. Others would thrive being as far away from family as possible.

Some would thrive where there are 4 distinct seasons every year. Others where the sun shines warm 320+ days a year.

I never thought the geographic location I lived would have such a dramatic effect on my attitude and productivity but it certainly does.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Man, posts like these are the like that single ray of sunlight that makes it all the way through the trees to that tiny patch of dirt in the undergrowth.

When you are that little sprout it makes all the difference

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
I still struggle with negative thoughts but I used to swim in them , I live in a third world country and I guess you can figure that my daily routine would be to curse my circumstances with the occasional "If only" thrown in.. If only I lived in the US , if only I had the money , if only the opportunity would present itself.

At one point I even gave up and that fire was coming to a dim hell it probably was barely smoldering anyways ,I was ready to just give in and go the path of least resistance , considered even selling dope.

It wasn't the book TMF (I had already read many of these types of books) but the forum and people here that impacted me the most , over the few months I realized that change is possible but it will only come from within and though a change of identity.

For me it's easier said than done , undoing years of habits and ingrained ways of thinking is proving the hardest part to overcome but now I know it's not some fabled dream and I do have a chance to earn my keep.

Thank you for the awesome post

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
I'm glad you wrote that. It's funny because Autumn and I were just talking about it last week.

We were half-joking that everyone has a breaking point and will eventually take the necessary steps toward what they desire given enough time.

But how much time? How much does one need to suffer before they decide to change? 20 minutes? 8 months? 100 years? Most won't make it long enough to find out...Unless they lengthen our lifespans that is...

And why is the "trigger" so esoteric? So illusive? Why didn't the birth of my son do it? Why didn't a family so severely in need drive me to greatness? Why not all the books? The forum? The videos?

Honest truth. I ran a red light on accident. No one was hurt. I didn't get caught. Everything was fine. But it made me realize my mortality. And that was it.

Have I made it yet? No, but I'm close. Making some money here and there. And I've realized that all this business stuff is pretty easy. It's no more difficult than anything else I've done . It's learning how to start that gets tricky.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I never thought the geographic location I lived would have such a dramatic effect on my attitude and productivity but it certainly does.
I think it's something to do with the people too. Emotions can be transmitted empathically. If a bunch of people around you are depressed, then as an average, wont you be?

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria

Change can only be forced by continuous action. By YOU taking continuous action yourself. Only YOU can make the decision to end your dissatisfaction, to stop doing what doesn't make you happy. Only YOU can bring change to your life. Not your mum, not your dad and not your friends. Many people come to this forum and expect to be changed by the legends on here. But let me tell you something: they cannot change you - they can hint you into the right direction and assist you. But the one that has to change by accepting their wisdom, understanding their lessons and translating all that into continuous action, is - YOU.

Once I realized this, my mindset shifted completely. There is no relying on others anymore, there is no waiting for something to happen, there is no sentence that starts with "someday", there is no thought that contains "may/might" anymore.

If you want something, go out and get it. Do whatever it takes.

@AllenCrawley - thanks for sharing this story and congrats on changing your life to the better!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
This was THE FIRST thing I read while eating breakfast this morning.

What a great start to my day !

THANK YOU @AllenCrawley and everyone who commented ! :rockon:

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Great thread!

I reached my breaking point this spring and made the move towards a risker, but infinitely more rewarding path myself. Scared the bejeezus out of myself and my family, but I wouldn't go back now if you paid me double.

Go get 'em, Allen

Tobore

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 30, 2013
Above and Beyond
Great post Allen. You just charged a nerve in me. After reading TMF for the second time in last week I've realized that our choices makes our lives.

This post just reignited me, I've decided to be on the fastlane and I fully understand what it takes to find a need, execute, create value etc. but I still need that change that will fully set me on the right path for life.

Still staying with my parents and the comfort is killing me. Sometimes in life one needs to go into the unknown. I need that control, I need that self drive that leaves you with just one option: Execute your plans or Die on the slowlane, I think that is one of the factors that makes one "SelfMade".

Thanks again, Allen for this great post

smithsta

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
May 4, 2014
This is a top quality post and I completely agree.

When I went to a business event a few weeks back one key note speakers words stood out to me. He used the following sentence at the end of his speech and repeated it 3 times...

'if the pain of where you're at is not great enough, you will not change'

It led me to think where was the turning point for me that made me realise i wanted change.

Thinking back now, I feel like there were two turning points for me.

The first turning point - I remember back in 2008 when I was 19, turning 20, I didn't have a care in the world. I'm a naturally laid back guy as it is so nothing really phases me. (My girlfriend often tells me I don't show emotion and I'm known as 'the assassin' to some guys in work, haha.)

I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. I worked part time in a retail store and I had just failed a year in university because I didn't put any effort into passing my exams.

I worked the evening shift in the store and I often ran the 'office supplies' department on my own, giving me a lot of thinking time. I remember one evening thinking how I didn't want to be in that store all my life and what could I do to get out.

It wasn't long till I looked into starting an online business. It just so happened that a few weeks later I realised I hadn't taken any of my holidays, but my boss wouldn't allow me to take them. I wasn't pleased.

I found out the only way I could get the holidays or the cash equivalent would be by quitting. It was an easy decision and I left with the idea of using the money to purchase clothing and sell through an eBay store. I sold most of the stock, one Disney tee in particular was a big hit in Russia! Unfortunately I was an idiot, I spent the profits. Lost motivation, ended up going to college. Still had an interest for business on & off, but didn't commit to anything.

Second turning point - Last June I made the trip to the US for the first time for a holiday in Orlando. I loved it! Just a small area of the US (albeit the tourist part) but it was incredible. Really enjoyed the warm weather too.

I remember the feeling of devastation upon returning home and mentally telling myself that one day I will buy a villa in Florida.

The desire for change started me back on the business journey. I got a Kindle and worked my way through business books and eventually stumbled upon the millionaire fastlane , which is how I am here now :)

Haha, that's my story! Bit off topic. Stay motivated!

Ramma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 17, 2014
Queensland, Australia
Excellent post, I know exactly what you mean. In the past 2 weeks I've undergone a massive change myself I never thought possible after spending so long on the nail and honestly, it was by chance. I'd tried to make changes - change job, change location, change relationship etc. - but I didn't really get to the heart of the matter - I was spending my days doing activities that were ok, but not exactly my life long dream.

Problem is (and this is hard to admit and sounds dumb) I didn't really know what my passions really are. I feel like i've lived in a daze for years and felt unable to escape.

I spent 11+ long months getting knocked back by over 150+ IT roles applied for, after working hard in the industry for over 20 years and actually being at the peak of my skill set. You can't imagine what 11+ months of unemployment and constant rejection can do to your self worth coupled with stressing out every hour as to how you are going to pay the next *weeks* rent or even eat. And being bombarded every 30 minutes by arsehole institutions that just don't give a shit and want their money now!!!

By pure chance I saw a posting for a Film & Television course. For years I'd seen this and thought, wow that would be so cool but couldn't affort it in time or money due to work and family commitments. I clicked on it and requested more information. A fantastic Seek Learning consultant rang me instantly and spent considerable time going through it with me answering all my questions. It could be paid for with Hex (deferred salary payments until you earn over 50k in Australia) and to my amazement the materials were covered also. I was unemployed - what did I have to lose. I signed up immediately.

To maintain living expenses I was happy to work crappy evening/weekend jobs to bring in enough and spend my days looking forward to what I really want to do. WOW! what a change this was. My entire mindset changed instantly. As it turned out this courses unpredictable schedule wasn't going to work. While still in the rush I did some research and found a university in Toowoomba does the same course, had better facilities, allowed me to work remotely and was located exactly where my partner and I wanted to move to!

I feel fantastic now. I am enrolled, have applied to dozens of night and weekend rolls of all types and I know something is just around the corner. I am so pumped. I'm drinking better (stopped guzling fizz), eating better, I've completely lost interest in playing games, my partner is ecstatic and we are moving closer to her kids cutting out an obnoxiously long weekly weekend journey. I am a morning person and fizzle out by evening. My energy can now be devoted to what I really want to do and switch to auto-pilot during the mundane working evenings. Finally I can start hating the weekends and loving the weekdays instead 5of7 rather than 2of7. My long term aim 7/7 and frankly I couldn't give a shit about a ferrari, or it's colour (seperate post I noticed he he. Ps - go white!).

What have I learnt? Sometimes it can be hard to work out what the nail is or how many of them there are. When you move location or simply repair/replace the right broken one(s) you'll know you've done the right thing - you can feel the rush, the change instantly.

Great post, thanks again :)

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
We were half-joking that everyone has a breaking point and will eventually take the necessary steps toward what they desire given enough time.

But how much time? How much does one need to suffer before they decide to change? 20 minutes? 8 months? 100 years? Most won't make it long enough to find out...Unless they lengthen our lifespans that is...

And why is the "trigger" so esoteric? So illusive? Why didn't the birth of my son do it? Why didn't a family so severely in need drive me to greatness? Why not all the books? The forum? The videos?

Yes, the trigger could be a seemingly small thing for one and must be a dramatic situation for another. I was 42 years old when I had that moment of clarity. My trigger was B&P and meeting a bunch of people that were not settling and going out there in big ways and making things happen. That one weekend I was surrounded by more greatness than at any other given time in my life. It was an eye opener and the catalyst that set my life, our lives, on a whole new trajectory.

Seeds were planted throughout my life. Most of which laid dormant. I thoroughly enjoyed watching and reading the greats like Zig Ziglar, Les Brown and Jim Rohn. My first exposure was to Zig Ziglar in the 9th grade in 1985. We were assigned to read "See You At The Top" in a business introduction class I took. Over the years I read countless books and watched countless videos. All seeds that finally started taking root about 3 years (about the time I read TMF ). Attending B&P was like fertilizing those seeds with MiracleGro.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Marked GOLD. :)

H Z

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Oct 10, 2014
Long Island, NY
Great post Allen! In order to create your success you have to make time for it as things aren't handed out for free in this world.

Cutting down on unnecessary things such as watching TV, playing video games, or hanging out with certain people is necessary in order to move forward with your goals.

G

GuestUser140

Allen, great stuff.

This is not the first time I see how a change in location opens the door for all the other habit changes (work, diet, exercise, relationships,...), ultimately getting to a point where you literally built a new life from the ground up.

Perhaps more of us should move to sunny Arizona. ;)

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Perhaps more of us should move to sunny Arizona. ;)

More and more fastlaners have moved here but if you haven't visited here before I certainly would suggest visiting first. It's not for everyone. I thought I was going to struggle thru the heat of the summer but it was no where near as bad as I was expecting. Others will experience it and question their sanity for living here. We just happen to enjoy the heat. This time of year, however, is absolutely amazing. We're back out hiking and enjoying our surrounding. Below is a pic from a recent hike to Superstition Mountain. One of the most enjoyable hikes we've gone on to date.

2WeruPj.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.