The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Adventure of a Lifetime

ceoarob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Aug 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
ADVENTURE OF A LIFETIME

I'm sitting here, I just got up from my last heavy dose of medicine. Today, I got my wisdom teeth out, but it dawned on me that I could be using this time to write, research, and learn as much as I can about opportunities on the Internet as opposed to watching TV, browsing, or YouTubing.

This is going to be my "reintroduction" to the Fastlane. I've been inactive for a while, but the idea of "going Fastlane" in my mind has never stopped growing inside myself.*

This is an extremely long post. 3 reasons: 1) I type 100 WPM, 2) I just got my wisdom teeth taken out, so I can barely move. What better way to spend my time than reflecting on where my life is headed? 3) I'm just putting thing in perspective for myself.*

So here's recap of the past 5 or so years or my life.

-------------

Pt 1 - Upbringing*

(I'm going to speak in Terms used from "The Book", so if you haven't read it, I suggest for you to get it because it'll change your life by changing your paradigm and perspective on money, employment/jobs, and how to get rich.)

-I'm 20, about to turn 21 in less than 2 months.*

-Almost from birth, I've been indoctrinated by Slowlane - my father is a successful commercial pilot with and accomplished track record and some nice college degrees. And my mother used to be successful in her businesses she was involved in until she had me and my sister and decided to devote herself full-time to raising us and being the best mother she could be (and I'm extremely grateful for her decision; I definitely wouldn't be the person that I am without her.)*

-I've been taught: Go to elem/middle/high school, get good grades, go to a nice college, get even more good grades, graduate at the top of your class, be the best academically so that you can get a nice job, work for someone else for however long it takes to get to "the top", then your life will finally become bliss and happiness because you will be working in a safe and secure position where you trade your time for a large amount of salary and eventually (big key word there), you'll become rich.*

-I followed this religiously and firmly believed in it until one day, as a rather precarious youth, I realized that, "there has got to be another way".*

-I could see the beginning struggles of my father (a pilot banking over 150k+ year) as his company went bankrupt and according to him, "the company gave me a 60% paycut and my pension basically dropped 16,000/month to 2,000/month". In addition, he got himself a house that he could afford at the time, but after the housing crisis hit, he just continually complained about how hard it is for him to pay the mortgage because he has to work additional hours now to keep up with the cost of living for our family of four.*

-He explains to me the financial difficulties that he's had to deal with ever since working for other people doing that which makes him happiest as a profession - flying. Amidst him telling me all of this about his struggles, he still HIGHLY encouraged me (and encouraged maybe a litote in that sense) to continue making good grade and going to college.*

-I always wanted to be a lawyer because I believed that I had a great grasp on the English language - both oral and written - so I knew that I'd be successful about it. Plus, the idea of a 150K+ salary seemed appealing even if I did have to work 80+ hours a week to make partner and then more hours as I worked my way to the top.*

-The key slowlane concept that I continued to espouse was that of "work hard, get promoted, get more money". All I knew was the time for money trade; nothing else.*

-------------------

*Pt 2 - School

-With a lifelong indoctrination/brainwashing with Slowlane concepts, I found myself questioning more of "is this REALLY the best route for me?"

-Even though I knew that I would excel at any field I applied myself to - whether it be medicine, engineering, law, etc - there was something that felt intuitively "off" for me whenever I thought about working X many years for someone else just didn't feel right. Maybe 90-95% of me was saying "Yeah, let's go!", but the struggles that I could see at home in regards to my family started planting a seed of doubt that would slowly sprout over the years into something that would cause me to rebel against the system wholeheartedly.*

-I found myself reading books about money and how to get rich. Most of them were just Slowlane stuff (earn, save, invest in stock market, etc), but there were two books I stumbled across that were different than the rest: 1) Think and Grow Rich and 2) 12 Month Millionaire.*

-The first made me realize that our thoughts have certain bearing upon them and that our thoughts follow the pattern of thoughts>>beliefs>>>actions>>>habits>>>character>>>destiny. And the second, introduced me to my very first concept of "The Fastlane". The idea that creating a product/fulfilling a need could make you money.

-I found these somewhere between my 10th and 11th grade year and that was like the first rays of hitting the soil where my Fastlane Seed was planted. Slowly, it started growing more and more.*

-During the summer before my senior year, I stumbled across the Fastlane Forum. I devoured it and seemed to almost read every single post/thread that was made since this was a completely new way at looking at money that I always intuitively knew about, but could never explain in words until now. The Fastlane forum started adding more and more water to my already growing Fastlane Seed and as Robert Frost said, "and that has made all the difference".*
--------------------

Pt 3 - School Pt 2

-With my introduction to the Fastlane Forums and another series of events that happened in my life, I started growing a strong aversion towards to path that I was taking in life. Up to that point, I was always gung-ho about getting good grades in both college and high school and getting a nice "traditional", high-paying job (doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc), but something internally had changed.*

(NOTE: At the time, I just thought I was confused, depressed, and or going through an adolescent phase in my life, but in retrospect, I was subconsciously examining the world around me and determining which path would be best for me to take. Even without explaining in words, I knew that time was short, so it's up to me to pick a path that would bring me happiness and freedom. This was simply me preemptively *mid-life crisis.)*

-I was the Honors/AP student who took all of these classes that say "I'm smart/I'm good college material, blah blah", but it all started to seem like a big scam to me. I wish I could trace back the point at which I started disliking the entire education system, but I think that it just started as my Fastlane Seed kept growing inside of me.*

-It's hard to explain, but it just felt like more and more, I was wasting my time when I knew that there were opportunities out there in which I could be making money for myself. I was still confused at the time and not sure which path I should take.

-Fortunately, I still finished my senior year with high marks, and began my quest towards college. 3 or 4 years before graduation, I always saw myself going to an Ivy League school for my "traditional" degree, but now, I knew that whichever college or University I'd attend, there would eventually come a time where I'd leave to "start my own business" and I wouldn't be graduating with my peers.*

-Knowing that I wouldn't be finishing my college education completely, I chose to go to a college that was still well respected, but "free" public college. Georgia's HOPE Scholarship covers full tuition and most major expenses (minus room and board). My parents would simply pay the rest, and I would have no college loans or debt.*

-------------------

Pt 4 - College

-The beginning of college was a great experience. Freedom from mom and dad, parties every night, co-ed dorms with beautiful Georgian Southern Belles wearing short shorts and tight t-shirts. It was heaven...or so it seemed.*

-Everything about the college experience was great - I got to meet new people, go to places I'd never been, get a little taste of different cultures here and there, and ultimately have a fun time.*

-Everything seemed great about the college experience EXCEPT for the classes. My friends and I often joked that, "The classroom seems to be getting in the way of our college experience". And looking back, that seems to have some validity to it, ha. (At least based upon my experience).*

-I'd attend class, take notes, do what the teacher asked, turn in my homework, and eventually take the tests, but I'd go, "Okay...where is this getting me?" Long-term I knew that this was training me and helping me to reinforce the habit of completing tasks and projects, but knowing that I was going to be prematurely leaving in respect to my fellow classmates, the doubt and skepticism grew inside me and started growing the Fastlane Seed bit by bit.*

--------------------

Pt 5 - Time to Leave

-Eventually, the stars aligned and I met some people who encouraged me to follow my dream, and although I wanted to deny that I was "not being true to myself", I eventually came to terms with the fact that college was simply "not for me".*

-In that moment that I decided to leave, everything changed. It was if though I had taken a huge boulder and dropped it into the middle of a lake that had been placid and tranquil for all of eternity. It created a ripple effect that changed me internally the most, but started slowly having an effect on everything and everyone in my life.

-I kept going to class and giving the best that I could, but I just could NOT internally find the motivation to really get things going for me. I would do my work, I would put in the hours, but it felt like I was hurting my soul in a way. It was just...not a good feeling for me. I condemned myself for being lazy, unmotivated, and this bad quality and that bad quality, but in retrospect, the Fastlane Seed was simply coming to the surface and I was confused as what to do to with my life knowing that I'd be leaving college before my peers.*

-Then, the Universe spoke. I set my cell phone alarm the next day for 11:00 AM as I had a computer programming test at 11:30. Funnily enough, I actually set the alarm for 11:00 PM and ended up waking up at 12:30 PM.*

-I checked my phone and wondered, "why hasn't my phone rang already? HOLY SHIT, I'm late".*

-I hurried out of bed, frantically and walked quickly to the bus stop to get to my destination, but for some reason, even though I knew I was going to fail that test (due to time's sake), there was a crazy internal peace that was in my soul.*

-That day, I got to the classroom, and the entire class looked up almost to give me a "Dude...this test is hard. You're F*cked" look all in unison. The teacher shook her head as if though in pity as she gave me my test. I took the test from her hand grinning from ear to ear. This would be the first test that I would ever Christmas tree.*

-Even though I was the last person to start my test, I actually became the first person to finish. As I stood up, everyone (including the teacher), gave me a look of bewilderment almost saying, "WHAT??? How did you finish so quickly???"*

-I just lol'd because this was my way of saying, "Peace out college".*

-I left and never attended that class again.*

-And in that moment, I realized that I was free.*

----------------------

Pt 6 - Freedom

-I realized that I didn't actually have to go to any of my classes and I didn't have to really do anything.*

-If I wanted to go to class, I could. If I wanted to party everyday and sleep till noon or 1 PM, then I could. There was nothing holding back.*

-I didn't want to leave my friends yet, so I simply stayed enrolled in my classes, but I told my teachers to "fail me". Some of them were confused as to why a bright student like me just wanted to be failed straight-up, and once I told them about my decision to leave, they understood and (with reticence) did as I requested.*

(NOTE: I've had people ask me over the years why I didn't keep continuing to go to class and finish on a "strong note". I could've done so, but the best analogy I can put it to is this. When you realize that you're no longer going to be in a place and that the world is going to continue without you, you no longer care about the BS, you have an urge to spend time doing the things that you love and those which make you happy. You want to spend time with the people who make you happiest, you want to do the things that make you happiest, and "everything else" just kinda falls away naturally.)

-Little by little, my class load dropped from 6 to 2. (Spanish and Chorus). I was attending the two classes that made me happiest and I kept doing all the work that needed to be done because I ENJOYED these classes and they didn't feel like work.*

-Most of the "free time" I had, I spent either networking, meeting new people, playing piano, or doing this and that.*

-During that time period, the most valuable thing that I did was learn to type using a DVORAK keyboard format. Before, I used to type 60-70 WPM. Now, I easily type 70-120 WPM depending on type of content I'm writing about. 100 WPM is the average. This is a skill that would come to my rescue in the future.*

------------------------

Pt 7 - Snap back to reality, op, there goes gravity.*

-I got back home. Told my parents that I wasn't going to be going back to college. I told my dad first, and the facial expression he had seemed like all his dreams and aspirations that he held for me as his son just got taken a pissed on and flushed down the toilet.*

-He was pretty mad that I kept staying in college at his expense for room and board (and rightfully so), but we agreed that as long as I would do something with my life, then I'd be okay. In retrospect, my father could've disowned me at just told me to fend for my own, but he didn't and rather, encouraged me to get some type of certification or licenses to generate some type of income for myself.*

-I ended up getting my licenses to sell Life and Health insurance as well as my Property and Casualty (home and auto) insurance license. I got my Adjuster's License (which I thought was a waste at the time) because the test was easy.*

-This time period is a little bit of a blur to me. All I know is that I studied extremely hard (more than any test that I've ever studied for in my life) because I was actually MOTIVATED for this. I was going to be making money and to me, at the time, money = freedom from parents.*

-I planned on getting signed up with different carriers, learning the products inside and out, and really selling and performing my best. It's something that I knew I could do. All the time that I spent in college getting my social skills honed and polished would come to pay off as the field I was going to be entering would be one where it was face-to-face sales.*

-I was able to sign up with one of the Southeast's most prestigious insurance agencies that had one of the best track records and portfolio to offer its clients.*

-From this point on, it seemed like the road was all clear for me to go and that I would start my selling in a matter of days, but someway/somehow, the entire registration process with me and these companies took months instead of days to get registered with. I don't know whether or not there was a hold up on the side of my agency or on the side of the insurance carriers, but for some reason (still unknown to me today), it just didn't work out.*

------------------------

Pt 8 - Realizations

-Up to this point, I'd still been living with my parents and I was still unhappy with my living and financial situation. I thought and believed that I'd be able to "hit it big" as an insurance salesman and really get to shine in that field. I knew that I'd be able to build a stable income and probably make anywhere between 100k-1 mil+ in a year.*

-This was extremely enticing and I was about to be willing to do whatever it took to make it happen.*

-Then, MJ DeMarco's book "The Fastlane Millionaire" came out and made me re-evaluate my entire life up to that point.*

-----------------------

Pt 9 - Paradigm Shift

-I believe that I read TFM in 3 straight sittings. It really made me see that even though I had dropped out of college and was about to start a life of "making a lot of money", there were still some problems with it.*

1) I wasn't in control of my income. Yes, even though I was a 1099, I was still 3rd of 4th down the chain of being paid. It made me realize that even though I might have been getting paid a lot of money, the guy who ran my agency was actually getting paid a lot more (because he had dozens-hundreds of agents working for him), and the insurance company definitely made the most amount of money (because it had all the agencies working for them, and ALSO had clients paying over and over again for a service; they fulfilled the greatest amount of need in the chain).*

2) I was still in a time for trade money. Albeit, it seemed rather an APPEALING time for trade money and was certainly higher than any body that I knew at the time. But nevertheless, it was still a time for money/effort trade. If I didn't work, I didn't get paid. The only thing that was increased as an insurance salesman vs. Me working as a regular minimum wage employee was that my intrinsic value was higher, that's it. Someone else simply dictated that the job I did was worth XXX specific rate for YYY specific action, that's it.*

-Knowing this, I knew that I wouldn't be in the insurance industry "for the long haul", but I still wanted to make money so I could live independently and be on my own.

-------------------------

Pt 10 - Opportunity*

-During this time, I did some amazing things with my life (joined a wonderful chorus, learned a couple of new skills, and set a couple of life goals for myself), and I did some "not so amazing" things (treacherous choices as MJ would call them), but I found myself getting the opportunity for me to "escape" being presented to me.*

-I got a call in regards to my Adjuster's company. I thought that Adjusting would be one of the most boring things to do (even though I was extremely good at it), so I didn't put much stock into it. However, I wanted money so that I could accomplish certain things in my life.

-My Adjusting dispatcher called me up out of the blue and asked, "Would you like to go to South Carolina and work some of the wind/hail claims?" I was still on the fence and started to almost make an excuse of how I'd rather not go, then she cut me off midsentence and said,*"You'll be paid 1200/day for each day that you work".*Needless to say, my jaw dropped, and I jumped at the offer.*

-This was my opportunity to get things started and actually break free from my parents. There was finally a light at the end of the tunnel, my enthusiasm was renewed and I was willing to do whatever it took to make sure I succeeded.*

--------------

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ceoarob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Aug 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Pt 11 - Opportunity Pt 2

-I bought all my gear and had my dad sign up as my assistant for me. Actually, I was broke at the time and my dad paid with it on his credit card. We had to buy a couple of thousands dollars worth of gear in order to successfully do our job, but we knew that we'd make all of it up in a matter of days (as opposed to weeks/months/etc), so this was our chance.

-We headed to SC and got started with our work.*

-I can't really disclose the details of the job (client confidentiality), but it was a rather fun job, but challenging and rewarding. I probably wouldn't have done it for less, but when I have a carrot in dangling in front of me that has $1200/day, it's rather hard to resist it, so I kept going for it.*

-There were a couple of conflicts between me and my father which hindered our productivity, so my managers were trying to let me go. But, out of whatever love, compassion, and/or sympathy they had for me, they gave me another chance to succeed and just decided that we should let my father go instead.*

-He was alright with this and he headed back home while I stayed on a different assignment that would keep earning me money.

----------------

Pt 12 - Money, Money, Money

-I walked around with a certain swagger and quiet confidence knowing that I earned in 1 day what most people earned in an entire month. The assignment that I had was rather special and it was *almost* passive income. It could rain or shine and I'd still earn money. I could inspect 1 house a day or 5 houses a day and I'd still earn money (the same amount, too). As long as I could show that I was doing SOMETHING, then I'd still earn my 1200/day.*

-Even whenever I switched my assignment to a "freelance" assignment, I didn't make a steady 1200/day, but I did earn anywhere between 600-2400/day, so it ultimately balanced out. I think that I made slightly less than I would've doing a straight 1200/day, but I was still EXTREMELY grateful for whatever amount of money that I did make because just a couple of months ago, I was waking up in my parents house probably secretly hoping that I'd die, wishing for a chance that I could break free. This was my chance, and I was making it happen.*

--------------------

Pt 13 - Truth

-For a short time period, I had almost forgot entirely about The Fastlane princples. Even though I was still trading my time for money, I was happy with what I was doing, I enjoyed it, and because 1200/day was more than an ample amount for me and my lifestyle, I kept working knowing that I would *eventually* leave and start my own business and do what I enjoyed doing.

-**Then, "disaster" struck and it the smokescreen started to fade away** I'll never forget this day for as long as I live. It was probably *the* defining moment where I decided that this would be the last job I'd ever take.*

-I kept looking into my bank account and realized that the amount of money in there wasn't adding up to the same amount that my contract stated me showing. For the first 2 or 3 weeks, I turned a blind eye to this, then I realized the truth: There's actually a 60/40 split with my managing company and there are about 2 more people I have to pay before money gets to me.

-For example, If I earn 10 dollars, then, the managing company takes 4 of those dollars. In addition, out of those 10 dollars, I have to pay those who I work directly with (my groundsman) a certain amount (1 or 2 dollars), THEN, I'm Uncle Sam takes his hand and places certain taxes and fees on the remaining 4 dollars that I DO have coming to me, so even though "on paper", I'm getting paid 10 dollars, I'm only really getting 3 dollars.

-On top of that, I still have my personal and business expenses to take care of (and I was working as a W-2, not a 1099, so I couldn't write them off). And this particular profession had some very high expenses (hotel, transportation, ungodly amounts of food to eat [[I'm spending all my time in 100+ degree weather on roofs, so I need to stay hydrated]])), so really the 3 dollars that I had really translated to 2 dollars, or sometimes, 1.5 dollars.*

-At the very moment that I realized what was happening, I felt sick. Literally, I felt as if though I was kicked in the stomach and I wanted to blame someone for not telling me this, but I just simply had not read the "fine print" and I was the ONLY person who could be held responsible for me not realizing this.*

(NOTE: I ALWAYS read the fine print these days. ALWAYS.)*

-MJ's words about Control flashed in front of my eyes and I realized that even though I was earning a great amount of money, I still didn't have "full control" of my occupation. I was being paid DEAD LAST, and there were just so many factors out of my control that I would never be able to leverage or change in my favor.*

-In other words, I realized that jobs (or anytime/place where you're working FOR another person) - no matter how much you get paid - in essence, suck. Even though things might be glorious and handy-dandy on paper, unless you're the boss and at the top, then you don't have the full control.*

I didn't own my insurance company that I worked for. Technically, it owned me.*

And in both mine and Felix Dennis' personal experience,*

"Ownership isn't the important thing, it's the ONLY thing."*

(In retrospect, this was like the time where the Fastlane Seed I planted broke soil and was being exposed to sunlight and natural conditions for the first time.)*

---------------------

Pt 14 - The Scramble

-I went on a scramble to cut my expenses. Fortunately, they were medium-low, but I cut them as lowly as I could*(typical way that Slowlaner tries to remedy the situation).

-Instead of focusing on a way to EXPLODE my income, I kept working more hours and inspecting more houses.*

-I kept telling myself that after I hit a "certain number", I'd stop working and just go live the life that I wanted to.*

-As my work in South Carolina slowly came to a close, I was offered a similar position working on the inside for a rate of $700/day.*

-I took it as it was a call center job and would be my specialty (lots of computer work and talking on the phone with customers/policyholders)

-I packed up my things, headed to Maryland, and began my new job for 700/day

-----------------------

Pt 15 - Maryland

-Whenever I got to Maryland, I had a little bit of trouble excelling with my new job, but I was determined and the entire skillset was in my favor (it was 80% computer based). Because I could type 100 WPM on average, I had great customer service and social skills around the office, and my female manager had special affinity towards me, I was set.*

-I made lots of mistakes, but everyone was extremely kind to me and wanted to see me succeed. I'm pretty sure that I'm the youngest ACTIVELY WORKING adjuster in the United States of A since everyone around me I had ever come across was either 40, 50, 60, or 70+ with kids or grandkids.*

-Everywhere I went, I turned heads and made people question, "Why isn't he in college?" - I'd simply tell them "college wasn't a good fit for me", and they'd just nod and agree. No one really knew that this was all part of a Fastlane plan of mine that was in the works for years.*

-I worked dilligently at this job 12 hrs a day for 7 days a week. Everything in my life (besides a friend from high school, a couple of college friends, and family) had slowly faded away over the past 2 years. I essentially had zero social life outside of my co-workers at the call center, and I didn't really "do" much after work because I was too tired.*

-In the mornings, I'd wake up, take a shower, eat, and head to work. I'd work, take my lunch breaks, and go straight home with the occasional trip to the supermarket. Once I'd get home, I'd try and learn about Internet marketing, SEO, PPC, and other stuff that I know would help me in the future, but I was just too exhausted (mentally) and a computer screen would be the last thing I'd want to look at.*

-I greatly excelled in my job and got to the point where the "hard part" was over (construction knowledge, etc). My entire job got to a point where it was simply a matter of keystrokes (that I could do with my eyes closed), making calls, and listening to whatever the policyholder needed from me.*

-------------------------

Pt 16 - Time to leave, again.*

-I was content where I was, but I knew that my 700/day was more like 300/day in my pocket (after taxes and commission and fees), so I managed my expenses accordingly.*

-My dream was to move to a new city and start a new life for myself.*

-I chose Austin, TX for me and calculated how much I'd need to live there for a couple of months and how much I'd need to start whatever businesses I chose.*

-Still, I was rather confused about what my plan of action would be, but I knew that at least I'd get one step closer if I could just be on my own and get away from the "crack-cocaine of a paycheck" I was getting.*

-Even though I started to slowly hate what I was doing (office politics began to creep in, my manager wanted to fire me pretty much everyday - amidst my quality work, and different factors), I decided that it would eventually be best for me to leave.*

-So, one day, I came to work, told my manager what was up and this is how the conversation went:

Me: "Hey Steve, I think that it's that time..."
Manager: "Oh, you need a vacation? (we got 1 day vacation for 90 days of work; talk about a "killer" ratio)
Me: "Ummm....maybe an 'extended' vacation..."
Manager: "Oh...I see...well, I think we can have you out of here in about two weeks"
Me: "Yeah, I was hoping we could do that a little bit sooner"
Manager: "How soon were you thinking?"*
Me: "Tomorrow"
Manager: "Well....*thinks about it*....you've worked hard, let's see what we can do."*

-I'm pretty sure that we set a company record for someone getting "checked out". Even though I was supposed to give them 2 weeks notice, I had been working 12 hr days for the past 112 days with no breaks, no social life, and no vacations, I had reached my "breaking point" and I think that it was time for me to go on "vacation".*

-According to my managers, I had made such a great impact on those around me with my energy and the vibe that I brought to others, that if I ever needed a job back again, then I'd just have to make a couple of calls and I'd be put on a priority list for positions.*

--I left my office on 1 day's notice. My colleagues were curious as to why I was leaving, and I just told them, "It's time for me to start a new life". Them, seeing how young I was, wished me all the best. Fortunately, we left on good karma, and this was more like an "honorable discharge" from my position.*

-As I left the office for the last time, I sang Handel's Hallelujah Chorus in Fortissimo because I felt like a liberated man.*

-I had about somewhere between 20 thousand dollars or so (give or take a few thousand) of my own money, and I was really to live a life of freedom in Austin, TX.*

-I packed up my stuff, drove through the night, and arrived in my new city.

-------------

Lessons learned up to this point (with my personal experience; not just book knowledge or anything else):

-Time for money trade is just a time for money trade. No matter what rate, it's still trading time for money. If you don't work, you don't get paid.*

-I can work 112 days for 12 hours straight with no vacations and with minimal social contact and still maintain decent mental sanity.*

-Unless you are the boss, then you don't make the rules.*

-When you work for someone else, you give up control. The end.*

-When you work for a company, you typically get paid last (commission splits/company fees, taxes, medicare, SS, etc). The end.*

-Read the fine print.*

----------------

Pt 17 - Freedom, albeit short-lived....but still freedom.*

-I won't write about the details about what happened here in Austin, TX because they've been written in great details in my journals, other forums, and different places.*

-Here's the basic gist: I moved to Austin, learned how to become extremely good with women, went out partying (no drinking; just meeting chicks a lot) 6 nights a week, had a fun time, spent a lot of money, and eventually stopped my habits before I ended up COMPLETELY broke and spending all my money.

-During this time period, I'd spend anywhere between 100-500 dollars a day. I remember during the first week, I spent ~5000 dollars and that was the most amount of money I had ever spent in my life in 7 days.*

-Although I spent most of my money, it was my chance to hone down on a lifesytle that "truly" makes me happy and figure out what exactly I value in life and focus on the things which make me a better person.

-------------------

Pt 18 - Back to my Mother's Basement

-Eventually, I had to head back to Atlanta as I had less than 3 thousand dollars left. However, I always told myself that "I only need $1,000 dollars" to make a million. As long as I had at least 1,000 dollars, I'd be all set. After I realized I still owed some money to my father, I ended up with somewhere around $1,3000 dollars.*

-Mentally, I kept track of my expenses and I made sure that no matter what, I always kept that $1,000 in my bank account.*

-Once I got back to Atlanta, I started making some treacherous choices and fell back into some old habits of mine, but I knew that if I had one opportunity to make things different, then I would've focused on doing something "Fastlane" for myself instead of trading my time for money and working for others.

---------------------

Pt 19 - Rock Bottom*

-I kept hitting low points in my life because I didn't want to go back to my old job, I was back living with my parents (an environment where it wasn't conducive towards me growing with my entrepreneurial dreams), and I felt as if though I didn't have the right situation around me to make things happens (money, living, physical, food, etc)

-I finally hit rock bottom in my life where I wanted to give it up all up. In my mind, I had experienced "all the good things" that I wanted to experience. I had done all the major thing that I wanted to do up to that point. Yeah, I hadn't accomplished my life goals, but for a 20 year old college dropout, I lived a pretty amazing life, so I was like, "You know...maybe this world would be better off without me".*

-Fortunately, my girlfriend spoke some sense into me at a time when I was just extremely down and emotional, and I got to a point where the internal locus of control shifted and I became determined to do whatever it took to make things happen.

-I knew that first, I'd have to get to a place where I could clear my mind, get away from everything, and clearly re-evaluate what changes and decisions need to be made in my life so that I could actually get where I want to be. Fortunately, I had scheduled a Vipassana 10-day meditation retreat and I'd be going to that in the next 3 days. That would give me enough time for me to actually make some clear, sane, and rational decisions.*

----------------------

Pt 20 - 2nd chance

-I went to my Vipassana retreat and got myself handled. 10 days of meditating 10+ hours a day definitely gives clarity to one who needs it - especially when they are determined and willing to do whatever it is to find the "inner truth" for themselves.

-For me, I found my truth, and first thing that I did once I got back into "the real world" was go to the closest library, read The Millionaire Fastlane , and write down a list of things that I needed to do in order to get this part of my life "handled". Some of the things on this list were simple like, "Get an oil change" or "Get wisdom teeth pulled" to things like, "Get independent from parents" or "Move back to Texas" or "Call this person and have this conversation" etc.*

-The difference between me now and me a year ago is that I'm RUTHLESSLY cutting out whatever people, habits, or thought patterns do not serve me. If it doesn't help me towards my goal, then it's gone.*

-Not everything in that list is simple and can be done on a day, but it's my "roadmap" to freedom. It's a list of things that I need to do. But with every step I take, I'm eliminating the things in my life that are preventing me from actually following my deepest heart's desires and turning my dreams into reality.

-I came back into "the real world" knowing that the amount of cash that I had was somewhere in the 600-700 dollar range. I was extremely worried about whether I'd have enough money to actually execute an idea if something came to me. Then, my girlfriend (a CPA), kept reminding me, "get your taxes done, get your taxes done". I was just gonna let my taxes slide away because I had already had them withdrawn (via the company that I worked for), so I believed that I didn't have to do anything else for the government.*

-Turns out, that I've actually got somewhere between a 5 thousands and a 6 thousand dollar+ tax return headed my way. Once I found out about this, I was elated because I knew I had some money coming to me, but I just didn't know how much. This is more than enough to give me a "2nd chance" and I've learned from my mistakes. I know that a time for money trade is ALWAYS going to be a time for money trade no matter what. I know that it's important to read the fine print. And I know that it's important to maintain control, leverage, and ownership.*

-***Before, this used to all be "book knowledge". I'd read about it, but I'd say, "If only I had a job that made XXX amount of money, then I'd be okay". Well, no matter if I had a job that made 12 dollars a day, 1,200, or even 12,000, I know that there are certain rules and principles that if I'm not following, I'm not actually moving towards freedom. I might be moving towards the illusion of it, but freedom is really where it's at.***

-I know that money in itself isn't going to "make me happy", but I know that it is a tool and I have seen firsthand how it buys me freedom, in a way. Having enough money makes me (as Felix Dennis stated), "rich enough to buy the only two things apart from health and love worth fussing about in life. Time. And the option of not having to be in any particular place on any particular day doing any particular thing in order to pay the rent or the mortgage." - even though I've had just a little taste of this freedom, a little taste is all one needs to be hooked for life.*

**I'm at a point where I know what I want, and it's up to me to make it happen. No one else can carry me to my goal. They can support, guide, and mentor, but it's ultimately me who has to take the journey Freedom is of the essence.**

Cheers.

-AR

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Probably a keyword in your post that sets off a spam filter; I've had that happen to me on a few occasions. I knew it was a specific keyword because once I took that keyword out, it allowed me to post. Sometimes nothing works and I just say eff it. =)

ceoarob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Aug 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Probably a keyword in your post that sets off a spam filter; I've had that happen to me on a few occasions. I knew it was a specific keyword because once I took that keyword out, it allowed me to post. Sometimes nothing works and I just say eff it. =)

DOH!!!!

I just got my wisdom teeth taken out and used V+Icodin sinec I've been taking it all day. I took that keyword out and boom.

Thanks much.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
-During that time period, the most valuable thing that I did was learn to type using a DVORAK keyboard format. Before, I used to type 60-70 WPM. Now, I easily type 70-120 WPM depending on type of content I'm writing about. 100 WPM is the average. This is a skill that would come to my rescue in the future.*

I have never heard of the Dvorak keyboard, but I'm checking it out right now. Can you still type well on a QWERTY keyboard?

Interesting story, by the way. Good luck on your ventures!

ceoarob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Aug 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I have never heard of the Dvorak keyboard, but I'm checking it out right now. Can you still type well on a QWERTY keyboard?

Interesting story, by the way. Good luck on your ventures!

Hey there,

Surprisingly, yes.

It's like I'm bi-lingual in both. However, when I'm typing using DVORAK, I don't have to look down at the keyboard, ever. But whenever I switch back to QWERTY, it takes about 5-10 minutes of typing to get "readjusted", so during that time period, I'll have to look down at what I'm typing, but after that, it's like I'm back to same-old.

And I still type somewhere between 50-60 words per minute whenever it comes to QWERTY. Hell, I just typed this entire sentence in QWERTY just to really check, so yeah, it's still there :p

-AR

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.