The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Journey to top 20% as a solopreneur

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Awaken Study

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2020
Jumping from a Slowlane to Fastlane mentality has been hard for me. Why? Because I haven't had an FTE and probably never will.

I live a very comfortable life. I live rent free with my parents and I spend about $200/MTh contributing to utilities, food, and supplies. Not bad considering I live 90 minutes from the beach in California. Even with my low income of $2000 a month, I still manage to save $900. I'm not hurting.

I've thought about manufacturing an FTE by doing vanlife or living in a canvas tent on my land but instead I think mentally ill do better if I shift my focus from Fastlane to being a top 20% earner in America.

In 2018 to be a top 20% earner you had to make $125,322+ household income. This differs based on city too.

San Francisco, CA: $250,000+
Seattle, WA: $172,235

Detroit, MI: $65,603
Tuscan AZ : $84,058

More information/cities on this website

So basically making $10,443.50 a month would allow me to live a comfortable lifestyle. It's not FU money but it is 5x what I'm making now.

Every time I think about a 7 figure exit I self sabotage. I subconsciously don't have the belief that I deserve $100,000/MTh (I know I can make it).

To combat this, I'm making $10,000 my new goal. It's actually what my parents make so it doesn't feel impossible.

Once I hit the $10,000 goal I'll probably go after Fastlane. I do want to own a ton of land and a private airplane, etc. But I'll face those limiting beliefs when the time comes.

In March 2020 I made a finance how-to-guide, added some affiliate links, and shared it in some of the groups I was in. Without doing anything else since then, I have made $7,384. I tell myself it shouldn't be this easy. Making money is supposed to be hard.

As a result of not feeling like I'm worth it and not doing anything to update/market the guide the income is beginning to fizzle out. Last month I made $178.46 from it.

My goal is to get my affiliate income to $10,000 a month in the next year. My best month was May 2021 when I made $1,242.71 so I've already proven to myself I can make enough to cover my bills.

I intend to do this by creating a solopreneur content creation business and add affiliate links to my content.

1) Answering Quora posts: This is an experiment. I've answered 85 questions since July 26th and have gotten 7,500 views. Lots of clicks on my website/links but no sales yet.
2) Blogging: Many of my Quora responses can be turned into blog posts. Using Jarvis I was able to write 11,479 words on Sunday and it took me 4 hours and 39 minutes.
3) Guides/Mini-eBooks: Similar to my 1st guide, I want to create step-by-step guides and add affiliate links to them. I'll probably do a mixture between free, $0.99 Kindle books, and maybe $10-20 guides on Twitter. If I do the Twitter guides it'll be because I want to have affiliates selling for me. I'll experiment with the price if/when the time comes.

The most I've made from one lead is $1,153.77 so getting them into the funnel is the important part.

Eventually once I gain traction I'll do the following:
4) Niche Websites: I want to create multiple websites in multiple niches to decrease my chances of depending on one company for too much income.
5) Video Content: Create explainer/animation videos and upload on YouTube and Instagram
6) Grow an audience on Pinterest, Medium, any other social media platform-diversity is key
7) Paid Ads: once I have money coming in consistently and have maxed out my organic traffic/SEO

I believe once I nail down my processes and procedures, It'll make scaling easier. Website templates can be duplicated so I'm not starting from scratch each time.

My biggest hurdle will be mindset/mental. I have the plan and know what I need to do but actually doing it is the hard part. I lack discipline, confidence, and self-esteem. I'm making this thread so I have accountability and stick with it.

I'll update this once a month.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Awaken Study

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2020
To be clear, I have never used clickbanks. I believe there are reputable companies worth building a niche around without having to sell products I wouldn't use myself.

I don't feel comfortable sharing my niche but here are some for anyone interested. The important part is creating content that offers value and not just posting links in random places. Build a brand around your niche so you can be an affiliate for multiple companies.

Food/Eating

Buffalo Wild Wings: 5%
Grubhub: 5% 1st order
Doordash: $3 1st order
Instacart: $10
Freshly: $15
Gary's Wine & Marketplace: 6%
Hickory Farms: 15%

Apparel, Shoes & Accessories

Adidas: 7%
Abercrombie & Fitch: 5%
Banana Republic: 1-2%
Cabela's: 1-3%
Calvin Klein: 7%
Crocs: 6%
DSW: 10%
Footlocker: 2%
Gap: 1-2%
Hollister: 1-2%
Kohl's: 3%
Levi's 4%
NBA Store: 8%

Home & Garden

Ace Hardware: 2%
BBQGuys: 4%
Bear Mattress: 5%
Best Buy: 1%
Home Depot Services: $10-$15 per appointment

I personally pick companies with a 20-25% commission but I listed these to show with the right audience size you can make money in any niche.

There are thousands of brands. Too many to list here. Pick a niche/ subniche and create videos, images, podcast, blogs, tweets, websites around it. Technology has made it easy to make blog posts in 15 minutes.

Top Niche's:

Apps & Downlods
Art & Entertainment
Auto & Recreational
B2B, Services & Office Supplies
Baby, kids & toys
Charitable organizations
Computers and electronics
Dating and romance
Education
Financial, Insurance, legal
Flowers, Gifts, Food & Drink
Internet Services
Organic & Eco-Friendly
Pets
Pharmacy, Health & Beauty
Sports & Fitness
Subscriptions & Services
Travel

My goal is to create a marketing machine and have 3 niches and at least 15 companies/affiliate relationships in each niche. With the right systems I believe this can take me Fastlane.

Awaken Study

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2020
Update Day #1

I woke up this morning and had absolutely no desire to work. So I started listening to a motivational video on YouTube as I played a computer game. 75 minutes later I was ready to work and the game actually got boring.

Favorite quote from the video: "Dreams require a willingness to start and a single step forward...the rest we figure out along the way."
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pyYJCsCka0

Another benefit from that is I now have 9 tweets for Twitter. I've also thought of ways how I can repurpose it for Instagram stories too.

My One Thing for today (and the foreseeable future) is to respond to 27 questions on Quora. I met my goal! It took me 3 hours and 15 minutes to write 11,136 words total.

I told myself I couldn't post on social media until I had my one thing finished and it worked.

I downloaded MJ's productivity worksheet and look forward to using that to stay focused. (Free for INSIDERS or for sale on his website). I find I still have a lot of free time so I want to max out my productivity.

I finished my 1/5/10 Planasy

10 years:

Debt free 1,000+ acre homestead 100% off grid
Dream home: 15,000sqft, gun range
Airplane License & private airplane landing strip + hanger

5 years:
Manufactured house 1800+sqft paid off
Garage/workshop 2800sqft
Earning $50k/month

1 year:
Making $10k/month
Living in a camper full-time on 4.11 acres land
Van/Truck with 4wd 2010 or newer

1 month
810 Quora Answers
Blog/ Website complete
1800 Twitter comments across 2 accounts

Val Okafor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 14, 2015
San Diego, CA
Big Hi 5 for all the action you have taken. Your actions will definitely lead to results. Focused actions tend to lead to results more predictably, and it does not appear to me that your actions are concentrated. Regardless of what path you take, from my experience, it takes a lot of focused hard work to go from zero to the first result, and even more hard work to attain momentum.

You may want to consider learning, mastering a high-paying skill, and increase your earning power, $2K a month in CA is borderline poverty, and how you do one thing is how you do everything. So if you are comfortable with $2K in slow lane, pay attention that you don't become comfortable with below-average results in fast lane.

Goodluck.
To be clear, I have never used clickbanks. I believe there are reputable companies worth building a niche around without having to sell products I wouldn't use myself.

I don't feel comfortable sharing my niche but here are some for anyone interested. The important part is creating content that offers value and not just posting links in random places. Build a brand around your niche so you can be an affiliate for multiple companies.

Food/Eating

Buffalo Wild Wings: 5%
Grubhub: 5% 1st order
Doordash: $3 1st order
Instacart: $10
Freshly: $15
Gary's Wine & Marketplace: 6%
Hickory Farms: 15%

Apparel, Shoes & Accessories

Adidas: 7%
Abercrombie & Fitch: 5%
Banana Republic: 1-2%
Cabela's: 1-3%
Calvin Klein: 7%
Crocs: 6%
DSW: 10%
Footlocker: 2%
Gap: 1-2%
Hollister: 1-2%
Kohl's: 3%
Levi's 4%
NBA Store: 8%

Home & Garden

Ace Hardware: 2%
BBQGuys: 4%
Bear Mattress: 5%
Best Buy: 1%
Home Depot Services: $10-$15 per appointment

I personally pick companies with a 20-25% commission but I listed these to show with the right audience size you can make money in any niche.

There are thousands of brands. Too many to list here. Pick a niche/ subniche and create videos, images, podcast, blogs, tweets, websites around it. Technology has made it easy to make blog posts in 15 minutes.

Top Niche's:

Apps & Downlods
Art & Entertainment
Auto & Recreational
B2B, Services & Office Supplies
Baby, kids & toys
Charitable organizations
Computers and electronics
Dating and romance
Education
Financial, Insurance, legal
Flowers, Gifts, Food & Drink
Internet Services
Organic & Eco-Friendly
Pets
Pharmacy, Health & Beauty
Sports & Fitness
Subscriptions & Services
Travel

My goal is to create a marketing machine and have 3 niches and at least 15 companies/affiliate relationships in each niche. With the right systems I believe this can take me Fastlane.Big

Awaken Study

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2020
You may want to consider learning, mastering a high-paying skill, and increase your earning power
Thank you for your response. It helps me to see where I'm not communicating clearly. I do have a high paying skill from a business I began in 2016. I found the skill wasn't my problem but having the self-confidence to market myself is.

I'm learning marketing now so if what I'm doing now fails I can always fall back on that skill.
$2K a month in CA is borderline poverty
I live with my parents rent free in a $500k house. I'm not living in poverty. I'm making enough where my bills are paid and I save half of what I earn. I choose to focus on my business rather than working more hours.

I don't intend to stay in CA forever. I moved back here after selling my house in 2018. I have land in New Mexico that is one of my motivations for getting my current business going.

Feel free to ask more questions if something isn't clear.

Awaken Study

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2020
How's Quora and Twitter working out for you? Seeing any results from these actions?
I haven't been as active as I should. The first three days went well but then I started having doubts about everything and started asking myself what do I really want. I haven't really done anything since 8/16/21.

I've answered 166 questions on Quora and have 14,500 views. At my height on Twitter I got 60,000 impressions in a 28 day time frame.

I'm getting between 40-60 website visits a day. No new sales. I got discouraged because my main focus was on monetizing my efforts immediately.

I've been hitting a ton of resistance so I'm doing inner work to figure out what I really want in life. For some reason I can't get myself to do any work and I think it's because I don't believe my dreams are possible.

I'll start fresh in September with a new game plan. Right now my goal is to get clear on my why and revise my 1/5/10 Planasy. I keep trying to rush things and that puts me in survival mode. I know building a firm foundation for a year without expectation of making money would benefit me more than trying to profit right away.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Following. You are starting your new commitment while me and my team are starting ours.

It'll be interesting to see who gets to $1k/month faster. Let's worry about 10k later. We gotta get to $1k first.

They say the first $1k is the hardest bro. Exactly because of the mental game. So eat breathe and sleep $1k/mo in affiliate revenue. If you can get to that, $10k will feel easy (as long as you don't start getting comfortable around 6 or 7k. Haha)

Honestly, I think you will get there before me.

I do have a team of 4, including myself, working on our project, but we're doing it super part time because we're prioritizing our client work first.

Plus, I'm playing more of a long game of trying to rank a site. I'm not even going to try to monetize until we get to like 5k visitors per month. Maybe I should start monetizing sooner...

You'll be doing things differently and you (I think) have the ability to just focus on this one project.

So if I see you start killing it, it might show me what's possible and I might spur my team to action.

And maybe by following my thread you'll see that your dreams are possible.

Because they are. I know they are. You know they are. We all know they are.

You just are full of doubt right now. It's ok.

For now, I can be certain enough for both of us. How am I so certain?

Well other people have done this. I know some. So you and I can figure this stuff out.

Here, read this thread about the best lesson MJ taught me. I think it'll help you.

You want to be a soloprenuer? That's cool.

But it doesn't mean you are alone.

You can do this @Awaken Study !!!

Let's agree to post our monthly traffic and revenue on our threads and see what happens. Maybe we can inspire some more Fastlane Fam and future fastlaners to making their dreams become reality.

All we have to do fam is keep taking the next step.

Here's my thread. 0 traffic. 0 revenue. I also just set back my kick off till Sept 1, but you are already winning.

Last edited:

Awaken Study

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2020
Following. You are starting your new commitment while me and my team are starting ours.

It'll be interesting to see who gets to $1k/month faster. Let's worry about 10k later. We gotta get to $1k first.

They say the first $1k is the hardest bro. Exactly because of the mental game. So eat breathe and sleep $1k/mo in affiliate revenue. If you can get to that, $10k will feel easy (as long as you don't start getting comfortable around 6 or 7k. Haha)

Honestly, I think you will get there before me.

I do have a team of 4, including myself, working on our project, but we're doing it super part time because we're prioritizing our client work first.

Plus, I'm playing more of a long game of trying to rank a site. I'm not even going to try to monetize until we get to like 5k visitors per month. Maybe I should start monetizing sooner...

You'll be doing things differently and you (I think) have the ability to just focus on this one project.

So if I see you start killing it, it might show me what's possible and I might spur my team to action.

And maybe by following my thread you'll see that your dreams are possible.

Because they are. I know they are. You know they are. We all know they are.

You just are full of doubt right now. It's ok.

For now, I can be certain enough for both of us. How am I so certain?

Well other people have done this. I know some. So you and I can figure this stuff out.

Here, read this thread about the best lesson MJ taught me. I think it'll help you.

You want to be a soloprenuer? That's cool.

But it doesn't mean you are alone.

You can do this @Awaken Study !!!

Let's agree to post our monthly traffic and revenue on our threads and see what happens. Maybe we can inspire some more Fastlane Fam and future fastlaners to making their dreams become reality.

All we have to do fam is keep taking the next step.

Here's my thread. 0 traffic. 0 revenue. I also just set back my kick off till Sept 1, but you are already winning.
Thank you for the kind, encouraging words. I thought my idea was stupid until I saw you and I have similar goals. Thank you for reminding me I'm not alone.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Hey man, if you really want to get excited, check out what kind of multiples well done affiliate sites get on Empire Flippers. It doesn't take $10k/mo to hit a $100k valuation. But let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Awaken Study

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2020
August Update:

I made a sale yesterday! My commission for it is $499.75. Payout will be September or October as long as they don't request a refund. (Hasn't happened to me yet, knock on wood.)

August Summary:

Quora Answers: 145 (166 lifetime)
Quora Word Count: 61,030
Time worked: 18 hours 52 minutes

Twitter:
30.2k impressions, 168 tweets/comments, 2,527 profile visits, 23 followers.
Time worked: 7 hours 38 minutes

Revenue Payouts: $103

I'm honestly shocked I made a sale. 8/14/21 was really the last day I worked and to make a sale 2 weeks later had me in tears. I believe the sale came from Quora but there's no way to be 100% certain. I'm happy the 19 hour experiment paid off.

My One Thing for September is to answer 27 Quora posts a day. Takes 2-4 hours a day.

I'm undecided on if I'll continue with Twitter. Right now it's 50/50. I have the time but I'm struggling to get myself to work consistently.

I struggle between just sticking with the One Thing and wanting everything to be perfect so it has a strong foundation. But I'm lowering my expectations because what I'm doing so far is bringing results. Maybe later I'll have more organized systems and a presence on multiple platforms.

Knowing that Empire Flippers values affiliate websites at 36-48x Monthly Net Profit has been comforting. Reading @lludwig blog post about buying a blog for 40x monthly gross profit confirmed that it's real and possible. That's a good exit plan if I ever get tired of the business.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You can make money passively, but this is not the way to do it.

It might have been in 2007, but not anymore.

Trendy businesses come and go. Blogging was cool. Affiliate marketing was cool. Amazon FBA was cool. You're not inventing something or solving real problems. It's just hopping onto the next cool 'business' and calling yourself an 'entrepreneur'.

Trust me, I'm guilty of it too. But I graduated from it and realized I was pretending.

If you need startup capital, go get some real work done. Go hustle and not by writing quora answers. Go make 10k a month by cleaning some roofs. You could do it next month.

I make 150k a year with a few hours of work a week now as a 24 year old. Should be 1.5-2x the profit next year. And I sure didn't do it with affiliate marketing. Every single young person I know doing hip trendy digital type of businesses like yours is BROKE as F*ck. Every other business owner I know who is solving a real problem is making good money. 100k, 150k, 250k a year.

Makko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 13, 2021
South Korea

Trendy businesses come and go. Blogging was cool. Affiliate marketing was cool. Amazon FBA was cool. You're not inventing something or solving real problems. It's just hopping onto the next cool 'business' and calling yourself an 'entrepreneur'.

Trust me, I'm guilty of it too. But I graduated from it and realized I was pretending.

If you need startup capital, go get some real work done. Go hustle and not by writing quora answers. Go make 10k a month by cleaning some roofs. You could do it next month.

I make 150k a year with a few hours of work a week now as a 24 year old. Should be 1.5-2x the profit next year. And I sure didn't do it with affiliate marketing. Every single young person I know doing hip trendy digital type of businesses like yours is BROKE as f*ck. Every other business owner I know who is solving a real problem is making good money. 100k, 150k, 250k a year.
If you don't mind sharing , what did you used to before?

That's inspiring seeing a 24 year old making over 6 fig a year with few hours of work a week. I wish I did start sooner!

Awaken Study

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2020

I make 150k a year with a few hours of work a week now as a 24 year old. Should be 1.5-2x the profit next year. And I sure didn't do it with affiliate marketing. Every single young person I know doing hip trendy digital type of businesses like yours is BROKE as f*ck. Every other business owner I know who is solving a real problem is making good money. 100k, 150k, 250k a year.
Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate the honesty. There is a huge need for physical businesses.

I think if I don't try this for 6-12 months then I'll always look back and wonder what could have been. I do believe if 12 months from now things aren't working out then it would be wise to move on.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Johnny boy is very correct.

Also, there’s people making big bucks that never had a FTE.

I’m slowly starting to shift my mentality from offering products to offering services. Especially something that you can build once and offer forever.

I’d say you need to start with your mentality. If you don’t think you can make 100k/ year, you’ll never make it.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
I made a sale yesterday! My commission for it is $499.75. Payout will be September or October as long as they don't request a refund. (Hasn't happened to me yet, knock on wood.)
That 40x multiple comes with history. I wouldn’t pay 40x for a one year old blog.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York

Trendy businesses come and go. Blogging was cool. Affiliate marketing was cool. Amazon FBA was cool. You're not inventing something or solving real problems. It's just hopping onto the next cool 'business' and calling yourself an 'entrepreneur'..
Well with affiliate marketing can be purely an arbitrage game if you aren’t adding value.

With my new blog purchase I plan more than just affiliate marketing to generate revenue.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Thanks, good to know. How many years would you consider ideal?
A blog should, in my opinion, exist for at least 3 years and have been through a few cycles of Google updates.

The blog I purchased existed for 10 years and 5 years actively in the niche I bought it for. It has a long history of backlinks and SEO rankings. Though it has lost a lot of traffic in the past 3 years. Not because of negative SEO or bad content, but IMHO mostly because of bad user experience. It looks unprofessional.

That's something that is fixable. A site that paid for most of its backlinks or used a PBN is a landmine waiting to go off. I see many blogs for sale that are just this. You couldn't pay me to buy them.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
If you don't mind sharing , what did you used to before?

That's inspiring seeing a 24 year old making over 6 fig a year with few hours of work a week. I wish I did start sooner!
The same old story of thinking 'making money online is cool what should I do?' and just trend hopping and starting bullshit businesses without thinking of solving real problems. The same thing every 18 year old dude does.

Now I own a home services company with 4 employees and we should be at 300k profit hopefully next year.

Makko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 13, 2021
South Korea
The same old story of thinking 'making money online is cool what should I do?' and just trend hopping and starting bullshit businesses without thinking of solving real problems. The same thing every 18 year old dude does.

Now I own a home services company with 4 employees and we should be at 300k profit hopefully next year.
Awesome, man. Glad you found your way out and getting on that Fastlane!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.