The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to create monetary wealth in just 5 years. (Or less!)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Asked on Quora which I answered...

https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-create-massive-monetary-success-in-five-years/answer/MJ-DeMarco-1

Create yourself a mathematical equation that scales, then work that equation to death while acting, assessing, and adjusting along the way.

Few people understand that all of our actions and career decisions implicitly tie us into an equation.

This equation can be relatively simple or extremely complex.

At the end of the day, it will be your self-directed EQUATION that determines how much wealth you can (or cannot) accumulate.
  • Equations that scale make their owners rich.
  • Equations that do not, make their owners slaves to the system of “trading time for money.”
The beauty of this equation is that you can control its basic variable parameters. But most people DO NOT because most people don’t even know this equation exists!

If you decide to get a job at McDonalds and are paid $12/hour — congratulations, you just created yourself an equation to which you are now bound to:

Monetary Wealth = (rate of pay) x (hours worked)

If you work 30 hours, your equation is 12 X 30, which equals $360.

If you go to college and accumulate $140K in debt so you can have the privilege of earning $40K/year, congratulations, that’s your new equation.

Monetary Wealth = (hourly salary) X (years worked)

To complicate the mix, you are then suggested to save your money and give it to Wall Street.

There you get another equation:

Monetary Wealth = Market investments X annual ROI

This mainstream advice is the standard prescription for mediocrity.

And it’s clearly not a method to create monetary success in less than 10 years, much less 5.

As you can see, the problem with “trading your time for money” or “Wall-Street” as a conduit to wealth is that the variables are extremely limited and uncontrollable. You cannot work 3,000 hours at McDonalds in one week. You cannot force McDonalds to pay you $1,000 per hour. You cannot ask Wall Street to give you a 4000% return.

There are only so many hours in a day, and years in a life.

And herein lies the lie behind college: Young people are told to go to college so they can increase their PER HOUR rate from $12 to, say, $25 or $30. Or if they go into more technical fields (STEM stuff) they get away from hourly to annual pay. Now instead of making $50/hour, they make $50,000/year.

The problem remains.

TIME CANNOT BE SCALED.

You cannot work 1000 hours in day.

You cannot live to be 500 years old.

You cannot ask Wall Street to give you a 4000% return in one year.

You cannot ask your employer to give you a raise from 50K/year, to $500K.

Your hands are tied because the equation you’ve given yourself SUCKS.

Instead of trying to scale time (more debt to earn a better education to earn a better paying job under an annual salary regime) start scaling units— units separate from your time.

This means you become a creator of relative value.

Creators produce products, services, books, information, inventions, it doesn’t matter so as long as:
  • A) Your creation can eventually become separate from your time.
  • B) You can scale your creation to a level that can change your life.
The other metric is relative value.

Sure your blog full of fitness tips my be valuable— but it isn’t relatively valuable because the web is filled with ‘em.

Whatever you create, it must be relatively valuable in the global pool of options. This doesn’t mean you have to be the next Steve Jobs — it just means to skew value on one or two attributes; faster shipping, improved operation, better logistics, better service, better UI, better this, better that.

Entrepreneurship is about improving, more so than inventing the next hot thing.

So let’s assume you invent a cool new widget that appeals to women who are mothers.

Your equation now becomes:

Wealth = Widget Profit X Widgets Sold.

This is where things change.

Now you can SCALE a part of your equation. There are billions of mothers on the planet. Additionally, you control your widget operations and can fiddle with pricing, sourcing, and other operations integral to your widget.

So if you sell 100,000 widgets at $5 profit each, you just earned $500,000.

If a IG influencer raves about your product in IG and you get a rush of traffic for 1 week, selling 4,000 units, you make $20K in week.

Your ceiling for wealth can be influenced by your execution, marketing, and decision-making. You cannot do this under a “time trade” regime.

This is how you create wealth beyond the BS preached in the mainstream (get a job, save your money, invest with Wall Street for 50 years blah blah)

Of course I’m not suggesting this is easy.

The key is to change the equation, change the probability, and change your potential outcomes. Nothing is easy, but neither is getting up at 6AM, fighting traffic for 50 years, and retiring with a gold watch on 50% of your income.

Just to give you an example, how this works in real life, I’ve been “off the clock” for over 20 years. That means I earn money 24 hours a day, 7 days a week because my income and net worth is tied to UNITS, not HOURS or TIME. This is how can effectively call myself “semi-retired”.

I’m a best selling author [The Millionaire Fastlane] and [Unscripted] (published in over 15+ countries/languages) so part of my “equation” is how many books that sell worldwide.

And when you move to a “unit” metric, your markets expand beyond your local city — so what not appeal locally, might appeal globally. For instance, my second book Unscripted is a the #1 best-selling business book in South Korea (at least that’s why my publisher is telling me) but barely known in the states.

I also run a global community on entrepreneurship [The Fastlane Entrepreneur Forum] which operates 24 hours a day. A 24 hour operation means I earn 24 hours a day. I could go on and on with the other ventures but hopefully you get the point…

So are you ready?

Here’s my SIMPLIFIED equation for wealth currently. (Actually it’s much larger but I think you get the picture.)

(bup)(bs1)(bc1) + (bup)(bs1)(bc2) + (bup)(bs1)(bc3) + (bup)(bs1)(bc1) +(bup)(bs1)(bc4) + (bup)(bs1)(bc5) + (bup)(bs1)(bc6) + (bup)(bs1)(bc7) +(bup)(bs1)(bc8) + (bup)(bs1)(bc9) + (bup)(bs1)(bc10) + (bup)(bs1)(bc11) +(roy1)(bs1) + (roy2)(bs1) + (roy3)(bs1) + (roy5)(bs1) + (roy6)(bs1) + (roy7)(bs1) + (roy8)(bs1) + (roy9)(bs1) + (roy10)(bs1) + (roy11)(bs1) + (roy12)(bs1) + (roy2)(bs2) + (roy2)(bs2) + (roy2)(bs2) + (bup)(bs2)(bc1) + (bup)(bs2)(bc3) + (bup)(bs4)(bc2) + (bup)(bs5)(bc2) + (bup)(bs2)(bc6) + (bup)(bs2)(bc2) + (bup)(bs2)(bc2) + (bup)(bs2)(bc10) + (bup)(bs2)(bc2) + (wt)(webconv)(ad1) + (wt)(webconv)(ad2) + (wt)(webconv)(ad3) + (webtraffic)(insconv)(insfee) + (inv1)(roi1) + (inv2)(roi2) + (inv3)(roi3)+(inv4)(roi4) +(inv4)(roi5) + (inv5)(roi4) + (inv5)(roi5) + (inv5)(roi5) + (inv6)(roi6) + (res)(avg-app) + val(biz1)(pe) + val(biz2)(pe) + val(biz3)(pe) + altcoins(value) + altcoins(value) + altcoins(value) + altcoins(value) + btc(value) + eth(value) + …​

Most of those variables listed above I can CONTROL and SCALE.

1) Create relative value.

2) Recognize your equation.

3) Work the equation.

4) Act — Assess — Adjust

5) Repeat​

That my friend is how you create monetary wealth within 5 years.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
Man...
This is such an incredible post.
It's crazy to think so many people in this world will never read it and never understand that they are stuck in the script, by the time most realize, it will be too late.

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
Thanks for a nice summary of your summit presentation :clap::

Ocelot

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
386%
Apr 13, 2018
UK
That's a crazy amount of value for a Quora post.

Hopefully they are ready to actually let that advice filter in and start to provide the right mindset. Too many people bounce around from one scheme to another until they ultimately realise that this is only true way.

You've probably just saved them years.

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany

https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-create-massive-monetary-success-in-five-years/answer/MJ-DeMarco-1

Create yourself a mathematical equation that scales, then work that equation to death while acting, assessing, and adjusting along the way.

Few people understand that all of our actions and career decisions implicitly tie us into an equation.

At the end of the day, it will be your self-directed EQUATION that determines how much wealth you can (or cannot) accumulate.
  • Equations that do not, make their owners slaves to the system of “trading time for money.”
The beauty of this equation is that you can control its basic variable parameters. But most people DO NOT because most people don’t even know this equation exists!

If you decide to get a job at McDonalds and are paid $12/hour — congratulations, you just created yourself an equation to which you are now bound to:

If you go to college and accumulate $140K in debt so you can have the privilege of earning $40K/year, congratulations, that’s your new equation.

To complicate the mix, you are then suggested to save your money and give it to Wall Street.

And it’s clearly not a method to create monetary success in less than 10 years, much less 5.

As you can see, the problem with “trading your time for money” or “Wall-Street” as a conduit to wealth is that the variables are extremely limited and uncontrollable. You cannot work 3,000 hours at McDonalds in one week. You cannot force McDonalds to pay you $1,000 per hour. You cannot ask Wall Street to give you a 4000% return.

And herein lies the lie behind college: Young people are told to go to college so they can increase their PER HOUR rate from $12 to, say, $25 or $30. Or if they go into more technical fields (STEM stuff) they get away from hourly to annual pay. Now instead of making $50/hour, they make $50,000/year.

The problem remains.

TIME CANNOT BE SCALED.

Instead of trying to scale time (more debt to earn a better education to earn a better paying job under an annual salary regime) start scaling units— units separate from your time.

Creators produce products, services, books, information, inventions, it doesn’t matter so as long as:

Sure your blog full of fitness tips my be valuable— but it isn’t relatively valuable because the web is filled with ‘em.

Whatever you create, it must be relatively valuable in the global pool of options. This doesn’t mean you have to be the next Steve Jobs — it just means to skew value on one or two attributes; faster shipping, improved operation, better logistics, better service, better UI, better this, better that.

So let’s assume you invent a cool new widget that appeals to women who are mothers.

Now you can SCALE a part of your equation. There are billions of mothers on the planet. Additionally, you control your widget operations and can fiddle with pricing, sourcing, and other operations integral to your widget.

If a IG influencer raves about your product in IG and you get a rush of traffic for 1 week, selling 4,000 units, you make $20K in week.

Your ceiling for wealth can be influenced by your execution, marketing, and decision-making. You cannot do this under a “time trade” regime.

This is how you create wealth beyond the BS preached in the mainstream (get a job, save your money, invest with Wall Street for 50 years blah blah)

The key is to change the equation, change the probability, and change your potential outcomes. Nothing is easy, but neither is getting up at 6AM, fighting traffic for 50 years, and retiring with a gold watch on 50% of your income.

Just to give you an example, how this works in real life, I’ve been “off the clock” for over 20 years. That means I earn money 24 hours a day, 7 days a week because my income and net worth is tied to UNITS, not HOURS or TIME. This is how can effectively call myself “semi-retired”.

I’m a best selling author [The Millionaire Fastlane] and [Unscripted] (published in over 15+ countries/languages) so part of my “equation” is how many books that sell worldwide.

And when you move to a “unit” metric, your markets expand beyond your local city — so what not appeal locally, might appeal globally. For instance, my second book Unscripted is a the #1 best-selling business book in South Korea (at least that’s why my publisher is telling me) but barely known in the states.

I also run a global community on entrepreneurship [The Fastlane Entrepreneur Forum] which operates 24 hours a day. A 24 hour operation means I earn 24 hours a day. I could go on and on with the other ventures but hopefully you get the point…

So are you ready?

Here’s my SIMPLIFIED equation for wealth currently. (Actually it’s much larger but I think you get the picture.)

(bup)(bs1)(bc1) + (bup)(bs1)(bc2) + (bup)(bs1)(bc3) + (bup)(bs1)(bc1) +(bup)(bs1)(bc4) + (bup)(bs1)(bc5) + (bup)(bs1)(bc6) + (bup)(bs1)(bc7) +(bup)(bs1)(bc8) + (bup)(bs1)(bc9) + (bup)(bs1)(bc10) + (bup)(bs1)(bc11) +(roy1)(bs1) + (roy2)(bs1) + (roy3)(bs1) + (roy5)(bs1) + (roy6)(bs1) + (roy7)(bs1) + (roy8)(bs1) + (roy9)(bs1) + (roy10)(bs1) + (roy11)(bs1) + (roy12)(bs1) + (roy2)(bs2) + (roy2)(bs2) + (roy2)(bs2) + (bup)(bs2)(bc1) + (bup)(bs2)(bc3) + (bup)(bs4)(bc2) + (bup)(bs5)(bc2) + (bup)(bs2)(bc6) + (bup)(bs2)(bc2) + (bup)(bs2)(bc2) + (bup)(bs2)(bc10) + (bup)(bs2)(bc2) + (wt)(webconv)(ad1) + (wt)(webconv)(ad2) + (wt)(webconv)(ad3) + (webtraffic)(insconv)(insfee) + (inv1)(roi1) + (inv2)(roi2) + (inv3)(roi3)+(inv4)(roi4) +(inv4)(roi5) + (inv5)(roi4) + (inv5)(roi5) + (inv5)(roi5) + (inv6)(roi6) + (res)(avg-app) + val(biz1)(pe) + val(biz2)(pe) + val(biz3)(pe) + altcoins(value) + altcoins(value) + altcoins(value) + altcoins(value) + btc(value) + eth(value) + …​

3) Work the equation.

4) Act — Assess — Adjust

5) Repeat​

What is "bup"?

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Smuggo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 13, 2018
I don't understand this equation. I mean the shortcuts. Could someone explain it for me please ?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
The word shortcut is not mentioned once in the article. Not sure what you're referring to.
Must be the abbreviations of your wealth equation.

I think I made out some of them as crypto, forum traffic ads, paper assets and books sales. You've got a lot of thumbs in many pies, I see.:)

ay47

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 29, 2018
But I can't do any of that, I don't have ideas! /S

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here's a video I did that adds to this concept, somewhat reflects my topic at the Fastlane Summit.

Fris

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 18, 2018
Oh Great, This is such an excellent post, thanks for sharing it!, You can also view <link removed by mod> which would be useful for many who plan on starting business!.

Last edited by a moderator:

Owner2Millions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
@MJ DeMarco Im very surprise you start getting active on your Youtube again lol. Anyway great content as usual. I aspire to provide as much value to many others like you have.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
Every person starting out or trying to figure things out, should print this out, it's literally the key. When you break everything down to the skeletal structure - that's it.

Now you have to plug in the pieces to the puzzle and figure out how to make it work

What products would fill X persons need?
How can you create X product?
How do you afford X product?
Where do you sell X product?
How do you market X product?
How do you scale X product?

The biggest mistake I see my peers do that prevent them from executing on this equation (early 20's) is they lock themselves into their job. They use their income from their 50k/yr jobs to get new cars, houses, pay their loans, and go downtown to the bars. They don't save, invest, or plan for the future. If you consciously allocate funds from your job to creating more income, whether thats investing it into real estate, starting a business, or investing in your skills you are leveraging that time you're forced to spend at your job due to your life circumstances to build your puzzle pieces out.

Been thinking about this a lot lately. Thanks for posting this MJ!

Rickh

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 30, 2018

The problem remains.

TIME CANNOT BE SCALED.

So are you ready?

3) Work the equation.

4) Act — Assess — Adjust

5) Repeat​

I need to hang around with you a lot more @MJ DeMarco lol

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Create yourself a mathematical equation

For those who were not at the summit, MJ gave an in-depth presentation on his equation. And what I realized - which should have been obvious - is that your whole life is an equation. All your goals can break down in a similar way.

When I decided to lose weight, I looked at my equation. It was something like:

Wake-up late + skip breakfast + Dunkin Donuts + Working Lunch....

You get the idea. My equation now is:

Wake-up early + work-out first + healthy breakfast + pack a lunch...

You can do the same thing for your business goals. Are you waking-up late and trying to hustle at night when you're tired, or are you making it a priority and grinding first thing when you're free? I've already been up for 2 hours (EST) and gotten my "ONE THING" done for today. If I didn't do anything for the rest of today, it would be a success. It's an amazing feeling.

This is obviously a complete hijack of the concept, but MJ's presentation changed how I viewed all of my goals. YMMV.

-PM

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015
The biggest mistake I see my peers do that prevent them from executing on this equation (early 20's) is they lock themselves into their job. They use their income from their 50k/yr jobs to get new cars, houses, pay their loans, and go downtown to the bars. They don't save, invest, or plan for the future.

Very much so. And of course, to make the cubicle jail cell complete, they put everything on credit. Even though I'm still a cubicle slave (for now), I try to think of every purchase in terms of how many hours of my life will be required to pay for the next gadget.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.