The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Escaping the Gravity of Slowlane Success

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
With MJ’s new book Unscripted coming out soon I wanted to share with the Fastlane Forum members my challenges of breaking free of a successful “Slowlane” journey. My intent is to help myself through advice and insights as much as I help others avoid the same journey.

About me: I am 50yrs old living in the fun city of Las Vegas. I grew up in a small town in Ohio with the typical do good in school, go to college, get a good job at a factory or large company and save your money for retirement attitude. From the beginning I knew the “Scripted” life wasn’t for me. I always asked a lot of questions “why do I need to learn calculus, why do I need to know how to speak Spanish, etc.?” Being in a small town there wasn’t much opportunity so I joined the Air Force. My first real “scripted” choice. After 4yrs I knew the very controlled and limited life wasn’t for me so I got out (In Vegas). I immediately got a job at a Defense Contractor and here I am 27yrs later working for the same company. I completed my Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science and have moved up within the company to a mid level management. I make decent money (six figures) at least from a “slowlane” job. I have a family with three kids, one who is on her own now and two boys in college and working part time. I have a beautiful home I acquired during the housing downturn for a third of it original value. I drive Lexus cars but always buy them used and hold on to them for 10yrs. I get 6 weeks vacation a year although I am so busy I currently have 10 weeks on the books and can take no more than 2 weeks off at a time. I have money in a 401k and a limited pension that will allow me to buy food and pay my basic needs but certainly not live a freedom free life in my old age.

On the surface it seems like it is a great life to many. But deep down I know I cheated myself for the last 25yrs, I cheated my family, I cheated my soul. I sold out for a sure thing vs investing in myself for an eventual lifestyle of freedom and real wealth. I am one of those “cattle walking with the heard to slaughter” as MJ spoke of in his new book. Everyday I get up and go to work not knowing what changes the corporate world will throw my way. I work five days a week looking forward to the two days I can enjoy with my family and relax. Although I have a lot of vacation time on the books I can’t take them without my responsibilities piling up and more stress when I come back. I often get emails and calls for urgent needs that I need to drop everything and put it as a priority. Every year I might get a 3% raise IF I did an outstanding job of managing my department. Every year the corporation raises the cost of health care and takes benefits away from me. Every year I get older and wonder what the hell am I doing!

It’s time! It is time for me to take action to break the gravity of the slowlane herd mentality! It is time for me to use the skills and knowledge I have to help others and in turn build a successful business. I know deep down that once I take action I will succeed. The kick in the a$$ that The Fastlane Millionaire, Unscripted and this forum with like minded souls has provided me is greatly appreciated. It has taken me back to my earlier attitude before I followed the “script.” This post is just the first step but an important one. Feel free to kick me in the a$$ and being bold and honest! Cheers and respectfully!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
With MJ’s new book Unscripted coming out soon I wanted to share with the Fastlane Forum members my challenges of breaking free of a successful “Slowlane” journey. My intent is to help myself through advice and insights as much as I help others avoid the same journey.

About me: I am 50yrs old living in the fun city of Las Vegas. I grew up in a small town in Ohio with the typical do good in school, go to college, get a good job at a factory or large company and save your money for retirement attitude. From the beginning I knew the “Scripted” life wasn’t for me. I always asked a lot of questions “why do I need to learn calculus, why do I need to know how to speak Spanish, etc.?” Being in a small town there wasn’t much opportunity so I joined the Air Force. My first real “scripted” choice. After 4yrs I knew the very controlled and limited life wasn’t for me so I got out (In Vegas). I immediately got a job at a Defense Contractor and here I am 27yrs later working for the same company. I completed my Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science and have moved up within the company to a mid level management. I make decent money (six figures) at least from a “slowlane” job. I have a family with three kids, one who is on her own now and two boys in college and working part time. I have a beautiful home I acquired during the housing downturn for a third of it original value. I drive Lexus cars but always buy them used and hold on to them for 10yrs. I get 6 weeks vacation a year although I am so busy I currently have 10 weeks on the books and can take no more than 2 weeks off at a time. I have money in a 401k and a limited pension that will allow me to buy food and pay my basic needs but certainly not live a freedom free life in my old age.

On the surface it seems like it is a great life to many. But deep down I know I cheated myself for the last 25yrs, I cheated my family, I cheated my soul. I sold out for a sure thing vs investing in myself for an eventual lifestyle of freedom and real wealth. I am one of those “cattle walking with the heard to slaughter” as MJ spoke of in his new book. Everyday I get up and go to work not knowing what changes the corporate world will throw my way. I work five days a week looking forward to the two days I can enjoy with my family and relax. Although I have a lot of vacation time on the books I can’t take them without my responsibilities piling up and more stress when I come back. I often get emails and calls for urgent needs that I need to drop everything and put it as a priority. Every year I might get a 3% raise IF I did an outstanding job of managing my department. Every year the corporation raises the cost of health care and takes benefits away from me. Every year I get older and wonder what the hell am I doing!

It’s time! It is time for me to take action to break the gravity of the slowlane herd mentality! It is time for me to use the skills and knowledge I have to help others and in turn build a successful business. I know deep down that once I take action I will succeed. The kick in the a$$ that The Fastlane Millionaire, Unscripted and this forum with like minded souls has provided me is greatly appreciated. It has taken me back to my earlier attitude before I followed the “script.” This post is just the first step but an important one. Feel free to kick me in the a$$ and being bold and honest! Cheers and respectfully!
I should add the real motivator for me is my kids. I want to show them that you don't have to go the scripted route to survive. You can go the unscripted route and thrive! Right now they live in a nice house and see dad has nice cars and we get to do things others can't. Their comfort level is high and motivation is low. Not having a bigger picture of what things could be like and not understanding that dad is living a self induced slavery they would naturally see my route as their future route. I owe them more than that. I owe the customers I can server better more than that.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I hear you there man.

I feel the pull to stay in the slowlane every day. By all accounts, in pretty successful for my age. 28, have a career paying 6 figures and being groomed by upper management for a management position. Just bought a new house that even my parent are jealous of. Successful by slowlane standards.

But it's not enough.

I can't just stay home. Or go to the airfield and fly for the day. Because I don't control my life.

My mortgage (which is no joke), my job, my boss, my wife's massive student loan.. they all OWN me.

When people ask why I want to start a business, I tell them it's because I want to build something of my own.

But what I really want is just to own my own destiny.

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
I hear you there man.

I feel the pull to stay in the slowlane every day. By all accounts, in pretty successful for my age. 28, have a career paying 6 figures and being groomed by upper management for a management position. Just bought a new house that even my parent are jealous of. Successful by slowlane standards.

But it's not enough.

I can't just stay home. Or go to the airfield and fly for the day. Because I don't control my life.

My mortgage (which is no joke), my job, my boss, my wife's massive student loan.. they all OWN me.

When people ask why I want to start a business, I tell them it's because I want to build something of my own.

But what I really want is just to own my own destiny.
Totally understand the control part. The company can be sold or a major change implemented and you have no say. Now matter how much you think you are valued at the end of the day you are just a number to a corporation. Nobody will know you existed when you are gone. Building your own business isn't for everybody. I watch many in the corporate world doing the bare minimum (or less) and getting the same benefits as those working hard (and smarter). It seems like if you can do well in the corporate world you will do well in your own endeavor. If you are a slacker in the corporate world you probably should stay in that environment and not try to build your own business. Cheers and best of luck to you Scot

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Especially in defense contracting. I have a lot of friends who work in some of the bigger players in the industry and I hear it all the time.

In my industry, companies are bought and sold like baseball cards, so you're in a constant state of looking over your shoulder.

Any particular reason this thread is on the inside?

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
Especially in defense contracting. I have a lot of friends who work in some of the bigger players in the industry and I hear it all the time.

In my industry, companies are bought and sold like baseball cards, so you're in a constant state of looking over your shoulder.

Any particular reason this thread is on the inside?
Nope - my bad in how I posted it. thought I put it in general discussion.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

When the new book UNSCRIPTED by MJ DeMarco comes out, post in this thread an update and tag me. I will buy you the book as a gift as long as you have an update that has traction, and will have you message MJ at that time with your mailing address.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
my challenges of breaking free of a successful “Slowlane” journey.

Give yourself some props -- success in the "slowlane" isn't no easy cake walk either. You're playing by SCRIPTED rules and and winning within the construct of that existence. But your soul knows it's been sold.

Will watch your thread and tune in for updates.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Give yourself some props -- success in the "slowlane" isn't no easy cake walk either. You're playing by SCRIPTED rules and and winning within the construct of that existence. But your soul knows it's been sold.

Very true. It does rub me the wrong way a little when a bunch of youngins that haven't ever held down a job act like it's a given that they would succeed in the slowlane world. People that get very successful in the slowlane aren't dummies or lazy, it's just a trap... one that I've fallen into myself,... until you wake up one day and realize the juice isn't worth the squeeze so to speak.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.