The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Escaping The Apple BookStore and More!

simplysi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2020
Las Vegas
Hi, my name is Simon, until about 3 weeks ago a successful artist ( explanation in the Intros forums) and creator of this project, I deeply appreciate your time looking at this and sharing your knowledge with me, thanks.

I need help with some e-commerce technical issues, marketing & advertising for a children’s edutainment project.

The road map is to provide empowering content for young malleable minds through adventure storybooks (beautifully illustrated) - then the re-invest the profits to create a line of plush toys with a special diary (in both physical & app forms) to record daily values and accountability, then with these profits launch an app that challenges morally and academically whilst entertaining them - (already UI & UE ready and storyboarded -wireframed) - with in app purchases.

BUT 1st things first - I NEED help with the e-Books and freeing them from the APPLESHERE.

A Short History Of The Project.

A stint of teaching 4-8-year-olds and raising a beautiful young boy named Alex was the catalyst that inspired me to create my multi-media project for kids to empower them with a moral compass, good values and show them that as humans we are so different on the surface but our core values are timeless and universal.

(as I want to respect the rules of the forum and in no way promote it- I will not name it - just looking for answers and help here)

The project (whatever form of media we deliver) encourages children to, be kind to Animals (A), considerate to other Children (C) and to care for the Earth (E) - this is called The _____ (name of the project) ACE Way.

34807 34808 34809 34810

I relocated to Thailand locked myself away in a bungalow and three months later - had formulated the project- created the 8 main characters (to represent the 8 branches of the human race) ,storyboarded the TV series and written 16 adventure stories.

Upon returning to NYC - my friend asked to see them - he had just done some consultation work with Disney- showed it to his friend #3 in Asia and he LOVED them- asked if he could present to the company for feasibility study- urrrrrrrm YES!

One month later #3 says -a month’s deliberation is a good sign, 2 months later #3 says get ready for your life to change! 3 months later they came back and said NO.

That’s entertainment - Disney style! No happy ending there for me- that’s not all folks!

I cried for a NY minute and went back to being surrounded by crowds of people who threw money & adorations at me spray painting in the shadow of the World Trade Centre @ the South Street Seaport- life was good.
Same thing a few years later with the BBC - the head of Children’s TV championed the project but again the board came back and said no -go as Andrew Davenport got the budget -he who created the multi-billion dollar Tellytubbies- pipped me at the post (like entering the US Open golf as an amateur and getting done on the 18th by Tiger!!! - then last year with Netflix similar story- that’s the world of entertainment - when someone else is holding the key to the door!

I always ended up licking my wounds and consoling my self-pity by going back out painting surrounded by crowds who told me how good I am and giving money!

I then went to back to Thailand, put a team together and for 1& 3/4 years - 12-15 hour days created the first series of 8 illustrated ebooks to sell on the iBookstore (where they have been gathering dust ever since!) each one focusing on a value for the child’s to incorporate into their life as useful lifeskill and tool to use when inevitably faced with a dilemma in life.
SO now I can no longer paint as banned from Las Vegas Strip -where I live now - I want to take matters into my own hands and sell the iBooks from my own website and free myself from the Apple-shere and their 30% commission, if possible!

34811. 34812 34813. 34814

I have tried to find definitive answers of how to do this and NEED help- as still at square one.
As you know Apple does not allow Facebook Pixels or Google Tags to track potential customers or customers nor for me to create a database emails, same unless I’m mistaken goes for Amazon.

So I wish to host the ebooks on my website and run Facebook ad campaigns and joint ventures with influencers and keeping track of the data with pixels and tags and reaching out to those that visit my site, abandon a shopping cart, offer a free ebook for email sign up - then 5-8 drip cool content funnel with offers along the way, etc.

The problems I need help solving are:

1:
The books I created on the Apple store (epub files) have an auto page turn and an audio track that automatically highlights in sync with the narration.

Can I keep this capability if I self-host?
And can I have these features with Android devices and desktops if I self-host?
(the auto highlight of words is not a dealbreaker- as long as they are still audio-picture books I’m a happy camper!)

2: To stop the books being copied - so they still have DRM -
I looked at Edition Guard - which looks great but unless I have misunderstood the pricing seems until i have volume cost-prohibitive and not much difference price-wise to hosting on Apple or Amazon.

Do you know any other services that have better pricing for those starting out/

If not are there any DRM alternatives I have missed or ways to protect the ebooks myself?

3: To keep the “cool” book-like feel -iBooks gives - sending the stories as PDFs just looks flat and I wonder if I’m missing something here???

I do not know if I am allowed to share a link with you so you can see the books on the Apple Store without breaking the rules on the forum of self-promotion (which is the last thing I want to do) -

4:
To offer them in this version as both Android & IOS/Mac and desktop (not a deal-breaker at this stage) versions.

5 To either add a shopping cart to my existing (old!) website or to create a new, easier to navigate and fresher looking website or shopping cart (ie Shopify)

And anything else I have missed?

Eventually, I will get the stories printed as traditional hardcover books in India or China - when they have traction in the market - shipped to LA to a fulfillment center to pack & ship (ShipBob great company)

Then on to the dolls & diaries - then app The ___________ (name of the project) Quest - then ultimately the TV series - open to any order BUT starting with the ebooks.

One step at a time- micros making macros.

Open to all pertinent suggestions and criticism

Thanks in advance Simon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Have you heard of The Tuttle Twins?

They've done a similar venture. I think they were completely independent and have done pretty good.

Looking at what they do might be helpful if you're going the self publishing route

s.wirat13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 6, 2019
Thailand
I don't know if I can help with your problem but if you ever return to Thailand and have any problem, feel free to drop me a PM.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Hi Simon

Wow, didn't know that you're running two businesses at the same time.
I don't have much knowledge about selling books, especially how to get away from apple.
But I would recommend going to amazon where (to my knowledge is legal) promote your book with FB ads. Think that's the best idea, otherwise try to take your book to a publishing company, but that's easier if you know somebody.

Really sad that Netflix and co didn't work out. But I think it's best if you prove that your story works and then go back to them or a competitor. If you have even a little success with your ebook Netflix and co will be much more interested I think.

Hope I could help.

simplysi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2020
Las Vegas
Have you heard of The Tuttle Twins?

They've done a similar venture. I think they were completely independent and have done pretty good.

Looking at what they do might be helpful if you're going the self publishing route
Hello Sam,
EXCELLENT insight mate.
I just looked at what he has put together and really like the clean, simple to navigate feel to his site- he's done an excellent job and a lot I can garner from there.
He has gone (in one product line) with traditional books (which I will do as I create traction) and also sells them as PDFs.
I wish I could post a link to the Ibookstore - so anyone viewing this could see and get the 'feel" of how the quality differs between a PDF ebook and an Apple iBook -
If I did post a link - do you know if I would be breaking the forum rules?
(Hold that thought - I'm going to ask Andy Black!)

Thanks for the illuminating advice, VERY helpful maestro x
Simon

simplysi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2020
Las Vegas
I don't know if I can help with your problem but if you ever return to Thailand and have any problem, feel free to drop me a PM.
Sawadee Krap Pee Wirat
U nai krap? Krungthep?

If I do we have to meet my friend, thanks for the shout out and if you are ever in Las Vegas , murn gun krap.

Chok Dee Krap
(Worlan) Si-Mon x

simplysi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2020
Las Vegas
Hi Simon

Wow, didn't know that you're running two businesses at the same time.
I don't have much knowledge about selling books, especially how to get away from apple.
But I would recommend going to amazon where (to my knowledge is legal) promote your book with FB ads. Think that's the best idea, otherwise try to take your book to a publishing company, but that's easier if you know somebody.

Really sad that Netflix and co didn't work out. But I think it's best if you prove that your story works and then go back to them or a competitor. If you have even a little success with your ebook Netflix and co will be much more interested I think.

Hope I could help.
Hi Kasimir!
FIRSTLY THANKS for your messages and insights - so appreciated my friend- I have been busy this am - and will address them later today-
I did make the "shout out appeal" post as you suggested for TikTok and reposted that and another on FB hence the rotation issue - will fix the next posts.

As for Amazon, I am there already but - the way they control the formatting of picture books - and the lack of interactive features compared to Apple - not so good.

I will look into FB ads to see the ROAS (Return On Ad Spend date)- but unless I am mistaken i do not think ( I'D LOVE to be incorrect here- as this would be my ego ZERO= Simon actually learning and winning ONE- which is ALWAYS a GOOD THING:))

Disney and the BBC were both instances where top execs LOVE the project and championed it- but a mega-company is not one person and feasibility studies need to be done- Netflix I fell short on raising funds :((
Thankfully there is always the next time, we live and learn.
I feel and think was as MJ says about business plans- if one has a record of excellent prior execution and delivery- MUCH easier for others to invest and wet their beaks!

As for a publishing company- JK Rowling was turned down countless times by ALL the major agents and publishers over 7 years - by the majors 3 rounds of no's over 7 years!

Then you have to wait - up to 18 months to get into print - kinds of takes the C out of C.E.N.T.S

Again - really, really thank you for looking at my sites and pages- wishing you all the best

Simon

simplysi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2020
Las Vegas
Hello Sam,
EXCELLENT insight mate.
I just looked at what he has put together and really like the clean, simple to navigate feel to his site- he's done an excellent job and a lot I can garner from there.
He has gone (in one product line) with traditional books (which I will do as I create traction) and also sells them as PDFs.
I wish I could post a link to the Ibookstore - so anyone viewing this could see and get the 'feel" of how the quality differs between a PDF ebook and an Apple iBook -
If I did post a link - do you know if I would be breaking the forum rules?
(Hold that thought - I'm going to ask Andy Black!)

Thanks for the illuminating advice, VERY helpful maestro x
Simon
Sam, quick one- just scanned your site - NICE - and I really LOVE the take on Bach - BRILLIANT - all the best with this mate Simon x

s.wirat13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 6, 2019
Thailand
Sawadee Krap Pee Wirat
U nai krap? Krungthep?

If I do we have to meet my friend, thanks for the shout out and if you are ever in Las Vegas , murn gun krap.

Chok Dee Krap
(Worlan) Si-Mon x
Krung Thep Krap
Haha your Thai is great!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads