The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Nicholas Cato - Growing a Web Design business: progress thread

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

NicholasCato

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Oct 31, 2018
Hey everyone, and welcome to my web design progress thread!

So I’ve been on these forums for several months after reading MDFL. The countless success stories of others finding their unique paths to financial freedom has changed me forever.
To keep it simple, first half of my 20’s were spent being a freelance illustrator. Over time I found it was not exactly the right use of my skills. I’d rather create my own projects instead of being an art machine for other people's projects.

Honestly the ultimate goal for me is to create a business system, the money printing machine, that allows me to follow my passion without having to worry about money.

So at the moment I’m going through a transitional period. Im 26, working a horrible dead end factory job, living with family, looking for a value offering fastlane business system.
This has led me to my first step on the journey.. Web design.

As @Fox and many others have mentioned, running a web design business is a great way to learn first hand the ins an outs of many different business. Learning what makes a business successful while also getting paid, and learning to offer even more value to them is a win-win situation for me.
I’ve been quietly participating in Fox’s web design challenge for a couple of months and have made a ton of progress. Any spare time I’ve had away from my hell of a day job has been spent learning HTML and CSS.

In that time I went from knowing little to nothing about programming to making my first website using the udemy course Fox suggested in his challenge.

With all of that out the way, My goals are as follows:
  • Start a successful web design business
  • Quit my day job
  • Transition from web design to my fastlane
So based on Fox’s 30 exact steps to selling web design he outlined here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9BHO5RSNAc
I’ve completed the ‘getting started’ section.

My closest goals at the moment:
  • Land a free web design gig with an actual business
  • Complete 3 successful paying projects
  • Sell my first website over $1000 and complete the challenge
  • Use this money to buy a spot in Fox’s legend program
Also, I feel like I have to say I am in no way affiliated with Fox. This is not some promotional thread. I found his challenge and to me it seemed very practical, and Fox comes off as an honest guy. You learn to how to send traffic to a local business and you charge them for it. No scammy bs as far as I can tell lol

Super excited to share my journey here along with following others who have been successful like Dan and chuck!

Anyone else who has experience in this field, feel free to share your thoughts to my approach as I log my progress.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Honestly the ultimate goal for me is to create a business system, the money printing machine, that allows me to follow my passion without having to worry about money.
I couldn't relate more...

So at the moment I’m going through a transitional period. Im 26, working a horrible dead end factory job, living with family, looking for a value offering fastlane business system.
...and be glad that you are doing it now instead of by your mid thirties.

Best of luck, man :) I'll be following this thread.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
I don't have any experience with web design, but congrats on getting going with something! :)

NicholasCato

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Oct 31, 2018
I couldn't relate more...

...and be glad that you are doing it now instead of by your mid thirties.

Best of luck, man :) I'll be following this thread.

Thanks for the encouragement! Best of luck to you also!

Sov.Li

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Oct 28, 2019
Hey everyone, and welcome to my web design progress thread!

So I’ve been on these forums for several months after reading MDFL. The countless success stories of others finding their unique paths to financial freedom has changed me forever.
To keep it simple, first half of my 20’s were spent being a freelance illustrator. Over time I found it was not exactly the right use of my skills. I’d rather create my own projects instead of being an art machine for other people's projects.

This has led me to my first step on the journey.. Web design.

As @Fox and many others have mentioned, running a web design business is a great way to learn first hand the ins an outs of many different business. Learning what makes a business successful while also getting paid, and learning to offer even more value to them is a win-win situation for me.
I’ve been quietly participating in Fox’s web design challenge for a couple of months and have made a ton of progress. Any spare time I’ve had away from my hell of a day job has been spent learning HTML and CSS.

In that time I went from knowing little to nothing about programming to making my first website using the udemy course Fox suggested in his challenge.

With all of that out the way, My goals are as follows:
  • Start a successful web design business
  • Quit my day job
  • Transition from web design to my fastlane
So based on Fox’s 30 exact steps to selling web design he outlined here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9BHO5RSNAc
I’ve completed the ‘getting started’ section.

My closest goals at the moment:
  • Land a free web design gig with an actual business
  • Complete 3 successful paying projects
  • Sell my first website over $1000 and complete the challenge
  • Use this money to buy a spot in Fox’s legend program
Also, I feel like I have to say I am in no way affiliated with Fox. This is not some promotional thread. I found his challenge and to me it seemed very practical, and Fox comes off as an honest guy. You learn to how to send traffic to a local business and you charge them for it. No scammy bs as far as I can tell lol

Super excited to share my journey here along with following others who have been successful like Dan and chuck!

Anyone else who has experience in this field, feel free to share your thoughts to my approach as I log my progress.

Thanks!
Awesome. I’m thinking of doing the same thing. I’m really at the beginning stages, with no experience at all with WD.

Can you post the link of the Udemy course you’re taking?

NicholasCato

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Oct 31, 2018
Update:

Spent the past week finishing out the "getting started" section of Fox's 30 steps.

Also contacted a couple of friends and family members who might need some web dev. One family member in particular mentioned recently they lack an internet presence for their business. Hopefully I'll get a response soon!

NicholasCato

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Oct 31, 2018
Awesome. I’m thinking of doing the same thing. I’m really at the beginning stages, with no experience at all with WD.

Can you post the link of the Udemy course you’re taking?

Build responsive websites in HTML and CSS This is the course I used. I recommend it 100% very informative and teaches you exactly what you need to know to create a modern looking simple website.
I found that free code camp while informative, will go over a bunch of things you probably wont need right now to get started. Hell learning HTML isnt even really the goal here but this course familiarizes you with it quickly.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
Hi Nicholas, With almost no skill i sold a paid website to a friend. That's a start. I went straight to wordpress, no code at all. You guys think it can be done without ever learning code or will it be a must eventually ?

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Build responsive websites in HTML and CSS This is the course I used. I recommend it 100% very informative and teaches you exactly what you need to know to create a modern looking simple website.
I found that free code camp while informative, will go over a bunch of things you probably wont need right now to get started. Hell learning HTML isnt even really the goal here but this course familiarizes you with it quickly.
I got his Advanced CSS and Sass: Flexbox, Grid, Animations and More! and it was really good.

NicholasCato

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Oct 31, 2018
Hi Nicholas, With almost no skill i sold a paid website to a friend. That's a start. I went straight to wordpress, no code at all. You guys think it can be done without ever learning code or will it be a must eventually ?

That’s great to hear man! I’m sure it can be done without code but having absolutely no knowledge of HTML, CSS, PHP will limit you.
it’s not like you’ll be coding a website from scratch, but knowing how to alter it in any way needed is why you’re learning to code

NicholasCato

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Oct 31, 2018

NicholasCato

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Oct 31, 2018
UPDATE:

so I finally got a reply from a family friend on my offer and they agreed!

they’re very excited about the whole thing as they just started their business and was looking to build an online presence. It seems like a perfect fit.

we’re all set the get started stoked to finally get going on this

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.