The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Journey to a Million $ Software Business - Progress Thread

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
I've been thinking about ways to bring some value to this forum and I think creating a progress thread about my software startup could provide some insight to members interested in starting a software business/startup and also help myself stay accountable for doing what I need to do. I have read The Millionaire Fastlane twice and it has completely changed the way I think and perceive things.

Current situation:

I am a 21yr old college student (B.Tech in Computer Science), I am running my app startup (Launched about 4 months ago and has 27k+ downloads on the Play Store already), and I am starting my new job next month (Application Developer).

My overall goal is to convert my startup into a multi-million dollar software company within the next 3-4 years, by solving critical problems that users face daily in life and seeing my life change throughout the process because of the Fastlane ability that a software business provides.

What are the next steps?
  • I'm focusing on my software business and scaling it to provide me with the income to pursue my goals
  • Connecting with other like-minded people and establishing connections with them

This thread won't (or may) see a lot of success in the coming 6-12 months, it will be 2-5 years to see substantial gains but I hope some of you can gain a lot from it if you're interested (or already own) in starting your own software business. You can check out my app here.

I will post weekly (or sometimes bi-weekly) updates in this thread describing my current situation, steps taken, and other information.
So, watch this thread and follow along.

Also check out @Jai Mittal, as he is my business partner, and we work together as a team.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
Weekly update - 17/05/23 :peace:

Hey guys, another week has gone by, and it was ok ok.

I created a new landing page website for the app and launched it, you can check it out at BechDe and give me your suggestions/feedback about it. I also launched 2-3 updates of the app improving it with every update by fixing bugs, etc.

The app now has a total of 30k+ downloads on the Play Store and 7k+ active users. The goal is to reach 50k downloads by the end of May, and I think with some efforts it might be possible.

I also joined indiehackers a few days ago, and I am quite impressed with the content it offers. You can check out my profile and follow me there too if you want - Vasudev on Indiehackers.

By the way, what tech stack are you using for your current Saas/Web App/Startup?

See you next week. :praise:

Eric L

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 9, 2015
Nairobi
Weekly update - 17/05/23 :peace:

Hey guys, another week has gone by, and it was ok ok.

I created a new landing page website for the app and launched it, you can check it out at BechDe and give me your suggestions/feedback about it. I also launched 2-3 updates of the app improving it with every update by fixing bugs, etc.

The app now has a total of 30k+ downloads on the Play Store and 7k+ active users. The goal is to reach 50k downloads by the end of May, and I think with some efforts it might be possible.

I also joined indiehackers a few days ago, and I am quite impressed with the content it offers. You can check out my profile and follow me there too if you want - Vasudev on Indiehackers.

By the way, what tech stack are you using for your current Saas/Web App/Startup?

See you next week. :praise:

Current stack is swift, i'm very close to finishing my IPhone app. Following your thread and good luck with your journey!

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
Current stack is swift, i'm very close to finishing my IPhone app
That's great. Best of luck with your app.

Following your thread and good luck with your journey!
Thank you for following, I will be sure to provide you with valuable content.

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
Weekly update - 06/08/23

Didn't post for the past 2-3 weeks. Sorry for that.
My exams are going on and I was in doubt whether to post another update or not.

The app growth seems to be slowing down in the past 2-3 weeks. Also been receiving quite a lot of negative reviews on the app and I'm not sure about how to proceed with this venture and how to make it grow more. Everything seems to be mixed up.

I know that a few people have gained value from the app but I'm not sure how to convert these few to a large number.

We currently stand at 39k downloads on the Play Store and 7.5k active users.

Here are some steps I might take in the coming days -
  • Run ad campaigns on Google Ads or Bing Ads
  • Try improving the app interface and add some features that have been requested by several users

If you want to try out my app, download it here. (Note: Only available in India)

If you have some tips or suggestions for me, that'd be great. :innocent: :halo:

See you next week (most probably).

Absar

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jan 9, 2023
I've been thinking about ways to bring some value to this forum and I think creating a progress thread about my software startup could provide some insight to members interested in starting a software business/startup and also help myself stay accountable for doing what I need to do. I have read The Millionaire Fastlane twice and it has completely changed the way I think and perceive things.

Current situation:

I am a 21yr old college student (B.Tech in Computer Science), I am running my app startup (Launched about 4 months ago and has 27k+ downloads on the Play Store already), and I am starting my new job next month (Application Developer).

My overall goal is to convert my startup into a multi-million dollar software company within the next 3-4 years, by solving critical problems that users face daily in life and seeing my life change throughout the process because of the Fastlane ability that a software business provides.

What are the next steps?
  • I'm focusing on my software business and scaling it to provide me with the income to pursue my goals
  • Connecting with other like-minded people and establishing connections with them

This thread won't (or may) see a lot of success in the coming 6-12 months, it will be 2-5 years to see substantial gains but I hope some of you can gain a lot from it if you're interested (or already own) in starting your own software business. You can check out my app here.

I will post weekly (or sometimes bi-weekly) updates in this thread describing my current situation, steps taken, and other information.
So, watch this thread and follow along.

Also check out @Jai Mittal, as he is my business partner, and we work together as a team.
Hey, how do you differentiate yourself from others in your niche like OLX, quickr? What advantage do you have over them?

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
Hey, how do you differentiate yourself from others in your niche like OLX, quickr? What advantage do you have over them?
We provide the option to post unlimited listings for free, for which other platforms charge money.

GoingToSleep

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 3, 2023
I would recommend making your app available in apple for greater progress as it is used more than google play.

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
I would recommend making your app available in apple for greater progress as it is used more than google play.
Not in India dude. Almost 90% of people in India use Android.

Absar

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jan 9, 2023
We provide the option to post unlimited listings for free, for which other platforms charge money.
Meaning that you don't charge for any listing that a user places on the app? or you don't charge extra for posting more listings?

One Idea that came to mind is the auction thing like on eBay. Just a random thought

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
Meaning that you don't charge for any listing that a user places on the app? or you don't charge extra for posting more listings?

One Idea that came to mind is the auction thing like on eBay. Just a random thought
We don’t charge for any listings.

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
I’m a little confused if I should continue posting in this thread.
This month has been pretty bad for my app business.

Any suggestions/feedback is appreciated.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I’m a little confused if I should continue posting in this thread.
This month has been pretty bad for my app business.

Any suggestions/feedback is appreciated.

bro go read @Ravens_Shadow 's progress threads. He spent years posting about how stressed he was and how little money he was making despite working his a$$ off. Now he has one of the most valuable businesses on this forum.

Starting a business is hard - just keep slogging it out and make adjustments. Don't give up because you had a bad month.

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
bro go read @Ravens_Shadow 's progress threads. He spent years posting about how stressed he was and how little money he was making despite working his a$$ off. Now he has one of the most valuable businesses on this forum.

Starting a business is hard - just keep slogging it out and make adjustments. Don't give up because you had a bad month.
Thank you so much. @Ravens_Shadow ’s posts are very motivating and pure :gold:.
Will try to regularly post in this thread from now.

Last edited:

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
Update - 01/07/23

Got about 11k downloads in June, which was around 5-10% less than the previous month.

Talked to some freelancers about adding features to the app that I think will help improve the engagement and user retention.

Maybe I should start looking for some investments and do things properly. But I think the investors won’t be interested if they don’t see some pretty good numbers.
What do you think I should do? @Ravens_Shadow @fastlane_dad @Antifragile @biophase

I am also starting google and bing campaigns to get more reach but the budget is a little low.

Any resources that might help me with creating highly effective ad campaigns? @Andy Black @MJ DeMarco

Gotta keep going, gotta work my a$$ off, there’s no stopping now. :fire:
Will keep you updated about the progress.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.