The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A New Guy

River McTasney

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 13, 2019
Hello All,

My name is River and I have about 3 hours remaining on The Millionaire Fastlane . I have a sales job that provides me a good amount of window time behind the wheel to listen to audiobooks so I'll be done by tomorrow. I have read many of the "self-help" books on business and overall lifestyle change (Robert Kiyosaki, Tim Ferris, Grant Cardone, Napoleon Hill, Donald Trump, and more) and this is the first one that has influenced me enough to take action in some kind of forum. It says introduce yourself and the more the better so I'll try to give you a good idea of who I am.

I have been on the wanna be entrepreneur train since about my Junior year of college (about 3 years) and I don't really know if I have as much to show for it as I should. I graduated from a 4 year university in central Texas in May of 2018. Upon graduation I started a sales job for a local but prominent A/C and Heating company in the same college town. I wanted to get experience in sales and this company gave me the opportunity to start selling within a couple of months. Although, I am already on schedule to do much better than most of my college buddies who graduated at the same time, it's still a slow lane job.
I have kind of tried a few business ventures but they burned out faster than I took action on them. Bottom line I was a broke a$$ college student and knew my parents were going to kill me if I didn't graduate again. They weren't fans of me stretching out the college life another semester than originally anticipated. Now that I have a job and started making my own money I am now working on a personal brand with the vision of it being an apparel line (shirts, hats, socks, multicolored sunglasses, shorts) that focuses on clothing with unique design that is to be eye-catching and fun (aztec pattern, hawaiian, tropical, floral, paisley, abstract, Etc). This originally started out as me slapping my brand on some multicolored wood sunglasses but this has proven to be a bust, or I just haven't taken enough of the right action. Either way the vision is to provide something people wear that makes them stand out. I've always been known for wearing the most wildly designed shirts, jackets, hats, etc. at parties and social events and people always ask me, "Dude, sweet shirt where did you get it or where can I get one?" So I thought to myself why not it be me? Right now the website is still the sunglasses because I am currently getting sample shirts and hats made for market testing, which maybe I should have done first?? This could be a failure/learning experience in the making but I don't think I have taken enough action on it to conclude it as that yet.
I also have a blog I have just started. To be clear from the beginning I'm not trying to be some kind of guru or anything like that. My goal is just to motivate people, starting with my friends, to do something different than what they are currently doing, which is the norm. I figured hell anything different is better than what most of the people I know are doing. We will see how it goes. It goes hand in hand with how I live. If you want to see my first blog post, which is the only one up right now, go to www.rivslife.com. Like I said, I'm not trying to be a guru, I'm just experimenting. If you take the time to check out the blog, yes I do live in the 1979 Winnebago Brave with a 90 pound Great Dane named Poncho. Also, I am terrible at writing so try to look past the stunted grammar and wording issues. I am way better at talking and sometimes even then words are hard.
I am originally a small town kid, grew up on a ranch in west Texas, and graduated high school with 9 kids in my class. My dad made pretty good money but I was definitely raised on the slow lane. I went to college to graduate and get a job. By the time I was half-way through my first internship I absolutely knew 40-50 years of that was absolutely not going to cut it. 2 weeks before I graduated college I got my sales job off a craigslist post because at that time I believed getting experience in sales was my next step. It has almost been a year and I am very close to hitting my goal so I am planning my departure from this job as we speak, but I am still trying to figure out where I need to put myself next. The goal is to build a fastlane business that makes a difference in people's self-confidence and self-perception. I really want to be screaming down the highway in my old vintage winnebago motorhome, old generator blaring (to run the a/c unit because the one in the dash doesn't work), with my dogs head poking out the passenger side window. That would be my version of a the Lamborghini.

Between the blog and what I listed here you should be able to get a pretty good idea of who I am. I like to be different, unique, inspiring, and whimsical. Unfortunately, I'm still not different than most everyone else because I still have not freed myself from the slow lane... Yet.

I may get blasted here but that's okay. I have never participated in anything like this but I figured I'd at least go all in to begin with and see where it leads. I am always open to feedback and discussion.

Online Store: www.rivstyles.com
Blog: www.rivslife.com

Like I said, these two websites are a working progress.

I know everybody's time is very valuable so I appreciate anybody who puts their time towards me in anyway form or fashion.

Thanks,
River

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
No blasting, appreciate the intro and the action taking. Love that you're cool living in an RV ... definitely a form of Unscription.

Welcome aboard my friend.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Great intro! And welcome to the forum.

I do have to differ with one statement you made. Dude, you're an excellent writer. I don't know what you're talking about to say you're not.

I mean, just check out this gem from the blog:
"For those of you who have not yet had the privilege of cruising down the highway at 75 MPH in a 40 year old, 23 foot long, aluminum lunchbox house, well its definitely not boring. Actually I'm kidding, I don't go 75 MPH. It's more like 65. 75 is like passing through the asteroid belt at light-speed in the equivalent of a 1st generation Star Trek ship, 5 generations later."

I earn my living through my writing, and I'm pretty sure any writer worth their salt would recognize that this is some seriously legit copy. There's humor, flair, a very distinctive voice... I'd say embrace it.

If you want one piece of critical feedback, the one thing I'd change is - just insert more line breaks. Make your paragraphs one to two sentences long. Voila!

I checked out the website. Cool sunglasses.

You know one thing I think is missing?

The story.

Right now it's just products.

But what if you could tell the story that you just told us?
Either way the vision is to provide something people wear that makes them stand out. I've always been known for wearing the most wildly designed shirts, jackets, hats, etc. at parties and social events and people always ask me, "Dude, sweet shirt where did you get it or where can I get one?"

Spin it so that it's about them.

"Riv's is the place where you can be the person who shows up at a party and everyone says to you, "Dude, sweet shirt! Where did you get it or where can I get one?" It's the place where you can always count on finding something that makes you stand out. I've always been known for wearing the most wildly designed shirts, jackets, and hats at parties and social events, and people were constantly asking me where to find something similar. So I founded Riv's Styles. Now you can embrace your distinctive style. Shop now."

I think it would also help if you could get some really high-quality photography for the hero image of your site (the ordinary-looking neighborhood in the background of the first slider image is distracting). If you can enhance the feel of "quality / luxury / eliteness," then I think you'd maybe even be able to raise your prices.

I'm also thinking - can you get more images like this one? upload_2019-3-13_20-26-2.png
That's perfect. "When you wear these glasses, you get to be someone cool like her, chillin' by a frozen waterfall in the most vivid parka that winter has ever seen."

Oh, one last note, the sale price that you're advertising on this page has expired.

Anyway, welcome again, and hope you enjoy your time in the forum!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

River McTasney

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 13, 2019
Great intro! And welcome to the forum.

I do have to differ with one statement you made. Dude, you're an excellent writer. I don't know what you're talking about to say you're not.

I mean, just check out this gem from the blog:

I earn my living through my writing, and I'm pretty sure any writer worth their salt would recognize that this is some seriously legit copy. There's humor, flair, a very distinctive voice... I'd say embrace it.

If you want one piece of critical feedback, the one thing I'd change is - just insert more line breaks. Make your paragraphs one to two sentences long. Voila!

I checked out the website. Cool sunglasses.

You know one thing I think is missing?

The story.

Right now it's just products.

But what if you could tell the story that you just told us?

Spin it so that it's about them.

"Riv's is the place where you can be the person who shows up at a party and everyone says to you, "Dude, sweet shirt! Where did you get it or where can I get one?" It's the place where you can always count on finding something that makes you stand out. I've always been known for wearing the most wildly designed shirts, jackets, and hats at parties and social events, and people were constantly asking me where to find something similar. So I founded Riv's Styles. Now you can embrace your distinctive style. Shop now."

I think it would also help if you could get some really high-quality photography for the hero image of your site (the ordinary-looking neighborhood in the background of the first slider image is distracting). If you can enhance the feel of "quality / luxury / eliteness," then I think you'd maybe even be able to raise your prices.

I'm also thinking - can you get more images like this one? View attachment 24009
That's perfect. "When you wear these glasses, you get to be someone cool like her, chillin' by a frozen waterfall in the most vivid parka that winter has ever seen."

Oh, one last note, the sale price that you're advertising on this page has expired.

Anyway, welcome again, and hope you enjoy your time in the forum!

Hey this is pretty sweet. Thanks for the pointers. That really does help a ton. It’s crazy what somebody from the outside can bring to the table. But really thanks for the feedback. Gave me a little inspiration too.

If you don’t mind me asking, where would I include the copy you suggest? On my my website or in ads? Also if it is my website where is the best place to put it or what are some good ways to integrate it? I’m no website builder, it took me hours on wix just to get what I have now but I’m learning. If this is something i need to figure out on my own I understand that too. Either way thanks for your time.

Also, now i think I’m going to have to read Unscripted before my next blog post. Sounds like my kind of read. Thanks for the replies.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Hey this is pretty sweet. Thanks for the pointers. That really does help a ton. It’s crazy what somebody from the outside can bring to the table. But really thanks for the feedback. Gave me a little inspiration too.

If you don’t mind me asking, where would I include the copy you suggest? On my my website or in ads? Also if it is my website where is the best place to put it or what are some good ways to integrate it? I’m no website builder, it took me hours on wix just to get what I have now but I’m learning. If this is something i need to figure out on my own I understand that too. Either way thanks for your time.

Also, now i think I’m going to have to read Unscripted before my next blog post. Sounds like my kind of read. Thanks for the replies.
Probably the easiest way to get it onto your website is to create an "About" page and tell the story there. Let them get to know you, sort of the way you introduced yourself here.

People buy from people they know, like, and trust. We're wired to respond to stories. Just putting up a simple "About" page can go a long way.

The other thing I'd recommend is a blurb on the home page - like the 2-line, super-condensed version of the "story" behind the site. Something that you can put in a banner or a text overlay on the slider images or something, or a color block just below the slider, or I don't know - check out a few of the websites for designer apparel (such as louis vuitton) and see how they balance text and images. Find ones you like and then see how you can recreate that.

I'm not familiar enough with Wix to know the nuts and bolts of how to actually pull it off. All I know is, I spent time in the Wix interface one time and I hated it so much I never went back LOL - if you built that with Wix, you're amazing!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...