The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Solve Your Motivational Woes: ‘Bout That Life Bootcamp

Anything related to matters of the mind

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
685%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
Lack of motivation is one of the biggest gripes I hear from people that are struggling to make entrepreneurship work. For the longest time, I didn’t know what to say to them to help. After all, during a big portion of my career I had motivational issues myself! Everywhere you look there is some public speaker or social media influencer that is ready to talk you up to give you motivation. But we all know that doesn’t work longer than 2 minutes. We read their little motivational blurb and feel ready to succeed until the phone rings and we are onto the next thing. Am I right, or am I right?

I’ve analyzed this motivation problem from every direction and nothing has seemed to click. One point of view is that your lack of motivation just shows that you don’t want it bad enough. Simple as that. It’s really just a Values issue masquerading as a motivation issue. I think this can definitionally be true, but it is kind of neither here nor there. OK, now that I know it’s not important enough, now what? There is no intuitive prescriptions as talking about changing values only opens up Pandora's Box

Are you just not smart or lucky enough? I mean, if you just knew how to do X, Y, Z you wouldn’t need to have the commitment needed to make your business successful. Honey doesn’t have to sell itself to bears. No one would have trouble selling the cure to cancer. Sure, this is all true. So what do you do now with this? Either dedicate years of your life into becoming a world class expert or be born with more intelligence than you have now, duh! Hey, atleast there is a prescription in there. Are you ready to invest 12 years of your life just to become a mediocre doctor and then another 15 to become an expert in the field? Then when you finally reach this pinnacle, you finally may not need the motivation to start your business. People will pay you for your expertise. But you didn’t come here to ask how to become a doctor. You want to build a business or make money and you want to do it today.

What about just cold hard discipline? Fair enough. If you just had the discipline to stick to your game plan then you would finally reach the promise land. I'll pick discipline over motivation any day! But now what are you going to do with this information? Do you have the discipline to force yourself to work on your business every day? Do you even have the discipline to do a few of the hard tasks you know need to be done? If you had the extraordinary discipline or will already built up, you wouldn’t be asking about motivation!

The problem is all these lenses of analysis may be true, but they all describe a failure in something inherent to the individual or a commitment that is so long and deep that the requirements needed to do it are harder than the motivational problem you are trying to solve. You may be able to improve your discipline through time, but you are now embarking on a completely separate and difficult path than your initial goal.

This is where being ‘Bout That Life™ comes in. It's @fastlane_dad and I's slang for having your mindset, goals, thoughts, Identity and lifestyle aligned with the goals you are espousing. The closer you are to being ’bout that life, the less being motivation matters. A bee doesn't need to have motivation to make honey. It just does what it naturally wants to do and the end result is honey.

Have you tried the slow and steady route? Have you tried the top 10 tips from your favorite book on motivation, ADHD, focus, and business? Tried all the mind hacks and accessories recommended by your favorite gurus? Still nothing?

Maybe what you need to do is a few week ‘Bout That Life bootcamp. Motivation and action has a certain momentum to it that is hard to describe. The first step is the hardest. The next step is hard, but a little easier. Then you notice that your passing other runners and start liking it. Next thing you know and your not walking. You're running.

During your bootcamp period, you will try to get as close to 100% ’bout that life as you can. This is an attempt to hard reset your habits, thoughts, and environment to get them going in the right direction to achieve your goals.

Being 100% ’bout that life means being 100% immersed in your goal of starting a business or making money (or whatever your definition of success is.) Every single facet of your life will now temporarily revolve around your goal. The beautiful part is unlike the other lenses and commitments, this one can be done with a small commitment and becomes self reinforcing. Being 'bout that life isn’t asking you to drop all your interests for 12 years. A few week commitment doesn’t sound too bad right?

Unlike the other lenses, there is a clear answer and prescription here. The good olé fake it to you make it. For this time period you commit to not do anything on the pleasure/interest/work side of your life, unless it relates to money or your business. Don’t talk to your friends that aren’t interested in business. Make an active effort to talk to your go getter friends or that one friend that is always working on something. Don’t have any? Make them virtually on forums or in other places. Speaking of forums. Like sitting on forums for your hobbies like cars/watches/video games/etc? No more. The only forums you know now are forums that pertain to business. Like watching movies and youtubing? You can keep watching things, but they better be about making money. Like reading? It better be a book on business. If you have to watch something on Friday night with your significant other, it should be something like the Wolf of Wallstreet versus Lord of The Rings.

Thinking about money/success may sound miserable to many people, but those people aren’t you. That is why you are here after all. You should hopefully have some kind of predisposition to enjoying the topic of money/business/success. It may still sound like it will be difficult to set aside your current hobbies and interests just for one, but that is the great part about fake it till you make it. It may feel silly at first and you may yearn for your other hobbies. Then gradually, within a week or two, you will find that focusing all your interest on success makes you more interested in success. Your drive to do old habits and hobbies begin to melt away for the same reason that habits are hardest to break for the first two weeks. This is where it becomes self reinforcing.

It is hard to portray the exact feelings you have once you successfully become 'bout that life. However the first thing you will notice is that you don’t need any more motivation to work on your business than you would need to take an extra bite of cheesecake. Working on your business is the easy thing to do. Your brain is now successfully on one track and not working on your success becomes painful. Everyone you talk to on the phone and in person is getting theirs. Everyone you encounter online (forums/youtube/etc) is talking about making money. Every door you open primes your brain into applying itself towards becoming successful. You don’t need to try to have or change your discipline/smarts/motivation/values. They just naturally change.

Something to keep in mind is that you should always keep one very important word in your head the entire time. ACTION. Ideally you should always be producing/doing as you have likely consumed enough. So try to always tie your consumption with a required action. Thats the deal. It's likely what you will start wanting to do anyways, as alll you are thinking about is business. There is only so long you can watch someone else play a video game before you want to get your hands on the remote. But sometimes you need to kickstart it a bit. Watched a youtube on google ads? Open an account. Read a few threads on TMF forums? Implement one of the recommendations Today.

The point of this drastic change is to kick you out of your motivational rut that you have been in. You can’t necessarily keep up with this level of focus and you shouldn’t have to. The best solutions are ones that make long term changes and not short term binges. But just like Rehab or the Military’s Bootcamp, sometimes you need to have only one option to get your focus set correctly. Then you take what you learned and the progress you made in the weeks and apply it to the rest of your life. You take the new relationship you fostered with your friend that loves to talk business, and you add him to the weekly call schedule. You are now more plugged into the money making forums and maybe you replace 20 minutes of your ESPN watch time with perusing the forums. You aren't just leeching from these forums anymore. You are a part of them and they are your community! These are your people! The goal is to ultimately foster habits that make becoming successful something you do naturally versus something that you have to will yourself into doing.

That's it guys. Let me know your thoughts on whether you'd consider doing something like this. Would you be willing to give it your all for a few days, weeks, months? I know that during the most productive times of my life, business was given nearly 100% of my attention. I didn't need motivation as it's almost all I did and thought about during these periods of focus, so there as nothing left for me to do but business. That's where you want to be to make some serious strides.

I am also curious to hear about your guys motivational issues and roadblocks. What have you tried to do to overcome them? Did it work out? If not, why do you think it didn't work out?

Now go out and get it!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Lack of motivation is one of the biggest gripes I hear from people that are struggling to make entrepreneurship work. For the longest time, I didn’t know what to say to them to help. After all, during a big portion of my career I had motivational issues myself! Everywhere you look there is some public speaker or social media influencer that is ready to talk you up to give you motivation. But we all know that doesn’t work longer than 2 minutes. We read their little motivational blurb and feel ready to succeed until the phone rings and we are onto the next thing. Am I right, or am I right?

I’ve analyzed this motivation problem from every direction and nothing has seemed to click. One point of view is that your lack of motivation just shows that you don’t want it bad enough. Simple as that. It’s really just a Values issue masquerading as a motivation issue. I think this can definitionally be true, but it is kind of neither here nor there. OK, now that I know it’s not important enough, now what? There is no intuitive prescriptions as talking about changing values only opens up Pandora's Box

Are you just not smart or lucky enough? I mean, if you just knew how to do X, Y, Z you wouldn’t need to have the commitment needed to make your business successful. Honey doesn’t have to sell itself to bears. No one would have trouble selling the cure to cancer. Sure, this is all true. So what do you do now with this? Either dedicate years of your life into becoming a world class expert or be born with more intelligence than you have now, duh! Hey, atleast there is a prescription in there. Are you ready to invest 12 years of your life just to become a mediocre doctor and then another 15 to become an expert in the field? Then when you finally reach this pinnacle, you finally may not need the motivation to start your business. People will pay you for your expertise. But you didn’t come here to ask how to become a doctor. You want to build a business or make money and you want to do it today.

What about just cold hard discipline? Fair enough. If you just had the discipline to stick to your game plan then you would finally reach the promise land. I'll pick discipline over motivation any day! But now what are you going to do with this information? Do you have the discipline to force yourself to work on your business every day? Do you even have the discipline to do a few of the hard tasks you know need to be done? If you had the extraordinary discipline or will already built up, you wouldn’t be asking about motivation!

The problem is all these lenses of analysis may be true, but they all describe a failure in something inherent to the individual or a commitment that is so long and deep that the requirements needed to do it are harder than the motivational problem you are trying to solve. You may be able to improve your discipline through time, but you are now embarking on a completely separate and difficult path than your initial goal.

This is where being ‘Bout That Life™ comes in. It's @fastlane_dad and I's slang for having your mindset, goals, thoughts, Identity and lifestyle aligned with the goals you are espousing. The closer you are to being ’bout that life, the less being motivation matters. A bee doesn't need to have motivation to make honey. It just does what it naturally wants to do and the end result is honey.

Have you tried the slow and steady route? Have you tried the top 10 tips from your favorite book on motivation, ADHD, focus, and business? Tried all the mind hacks and accessories recommended by your favorite gurus? Still nothing?

Maybe what you need to do is a few week ‘Bout That Life bootcamp. Motivation and action has a certain momentum to it that is hard to describe. The first step is the hardest. The next step is hard, but a little easier. Then you notice that your passing other runners and start liking it. Next thing you know and your not walking. You're running.

During your bootcamp period, you will try to get as close to 100% ’bout that life as you can. This is an attempt to hard reset your habits, thoughts, and environment to get them going in the right direction to achieve your goals.

Being 100% ’bout that life means being 100% immersed in your goal of starting a business or making money (or whatever your definition of success is.) Every single facet of your life will now temporarily revolve around your goal. The beautiful part is unlike the other lenses and commitments, this one can be done with a small commitment and becomes self reinforcing. Being 'bout that life isn’t asking you to drop all your interests for 12 years. A few week commitment doesn’t sound too bad right?

Unlike the other lenses, there is a clear answer and prescription here. The good olé fake it to you make it. For this time period you commit to not do anything on the pleasure/interest/work side of your life, unless it relates to money or your business. Don’t talk to your friends that aren’t interested in business. Make an active effort to talk to your go getter friends or that one friend that is always working on something. Don’t have any? Make them virtually on forums or in other places. Speaking of forums. Like sitting on forums for your hobbies like cars/watches/video games/etc? No more. The only forums you know now are forums that pertain to business. Like watching movies and youtubing? You can keep watching things, but they better be about making money. If you have to watch something on Friday night with your significant other, it should be something like the Wolf of Wallstreet versus Lord of The Rings.

Thinking about money/success may sound miserable to many people, but those people aren’t you. That is why you are here after all. You should hopefully have some kind of predisposition to enjoying the topic of money/business/success. It may still sound like it will be difficult to set aside your current hobbies and interests just for one, but that is the great part about fake it till you make it. It may feel silly at first and you may yearn for your other hobbies. Then gradually, within a week or two, you will find that focusing all your interest on success makes you more interested in success. Your drive to do old habits and hobbies begin to melt away for the same reason that habits are hardest to break for the first two weeks. This is where it becomes self reinforcing.

It is hard to portray the exact feelings you have once you successfully become 'bout that life. However the first thing you will notice is that you don’t need any more motivation to work on your business than you would need to take an extra bite of cheesecake. Working on your business is the easy thing to do. Your brain is now successfully on one track and not working on your success becomes painful. Everyone you talk to on the phone and in person is getting theirs. Everyone you encounter online (forums/youtube/etc) is talking about making money. Every door you open primes your brain into applying itself towards becoming successful. You don’t need to try to have or change your discipline/smarts/motivation/values. They just naturally change.

Something to keep in mind is that you should always keep one very important word in your head the entire time. ACTION. Ideally you should always be producing/doing as you have likely consumed enough. So try to always tie your consumption with a required action. Thats the deal. It's likely what you will start wanting to do anyways, as alll you are thinking about is business. There is only so long you can watch someone else play a video game before you want to get your hands on the remote. But sometimes you need to kickstart it a bit. Watched a youtube on google ads? Open an account. Read a few threads on TMF forums? Implement one of the recommendations Today.

The point of this drastic change is to kick you out of your motivational rut that you have been in. You can’t necessarily keep up with this level of focus and you shouldn’t have to. The best solutions are ones that make long term changes and not short term binges. But just like Rehab or the Military’s Bootcamp, sometimes you need to have only one option to get your focus set correctly. Then you take what you learned and the progress you made in the weeks and apply it to the rest of your life. You take the new relationship you fostered with your friend that loves to talk business, and you add him to the weekly call schedule. You are now more plugged into the money making forums and maybe you replace 20 minutes of your ESPN watch time with perusing the forums. You aren't just leeching from these forums anymore. You are a part of them and they are your community! These are your people! The goal is to ultimately foster habits that make becoming successful something you do naturally versus something that you have to will yourself into doing.

That's it guys. Let me know your thoughts on whether you'd consider doing something like this. Would you be willing to give it your all for a few days, weeks, months? I know that during the most productive times of my life, business was given nearly 100% of my attention. I didn't need motivation as it's almost all I did and thought about during these periods of focus, so there as nothing left for me to do but business. That's where you want to be to make some serious strides.

I am also curious to hear about your guys motivational issues and roadblocks. What have you tried to do to overcome them? Did it work out? If not, why do you think it didn't work out?

Now go out and get it!
For me I will set a goal to complete a task in the next one hour (a small time duration).

If I fail to complete it I need to do some push ups. So be it head or tail I will win in both situations.

The way I think about it is that in an organization you have other people keeping you accountable, check on your progress and hitting the kpi. When you are on your own you got to play both roles.

If there is no consequences of ignoring our own instructions given to ourselves then nothing much will get done.

Last edited:

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Great post!

For myself, I realized that working a job that I hate was more difficult for me to mentally grapple with than deticating time to starting a business.

I started about 6 months ago, working towards getting this business set up properly. At first, I would notice that a whole week would go by with no real progress. That guilt ate away at me.

I decided working 30 hours per week at my slow lane job which would allow me enough time to get the work done that was needed for my startup.

I know I'm limited in time during the week, so I made it a habit to pre-write all emails and figure out who to call each week so I don't waste that valuable time.

At first, making calls to people like lawyers, banks, warehouses, etc. made me feel like a fraud, but 6 months later I feel less of a fraud and I am much closer to making sales and making this business a reality.

Getting the ball moving is dufficult. Now it is about making incremental steps towards your goal.

My biggest roadblock is the constant process of ensuring I correctly identfy the most important tasks to do each week. Multiple occasions I have focused on time-suck tasks.

Iso

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 1, 2021
"Everyone you talk to on the phone and in person is getting theirs. Everyone you encounter online (forums/youtube/etc) is talking about making money. Every door you open primes your brain into applying itself towards becoming successful. You don’t need to try to have or change your discipline/smarts/motivation/values. They just naturally change."

So like the "you are the average of the 5 people you surround yourself with" sort of thing

NeoDialectic

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
685%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
"Everyone you talk to on the phone and in person is getting theirs. Everyone you encounter online (forums/youtube/etc) is talking about making money. Every door you open primes your brain into applying itself towards becoming successful. You don’t need to try to have or change your discipline/smarts/motivation/values. They just naturally change."

So like the "you are the average of the 5 people you surround yourself with" sort of thing
That is definitely part of it.

At the end of the day, it seems like some people want to be entrepreneurs, without actually willing to make their life match an entrepreneurs. If you want different results than the person down the street, your life has to be different. You can't have it all at all times. Of course it is hard to find the motivation to work when everyone you know and your entire environment tries to fill up your time with other hobbies and demands.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
Wow this is a great thread.

Myself I often run into motivational issues but that's because my wants are different than my current identity. For example I've been trying to get back into the gym but eating badly or at restaurants every other night just doesn't align well with that. It feels like a mental sin having certain beliefs but not following them.

Nor does wanting to have a active social life and playing video games every other night align. Same with improving your business.

Your surroundings and influences truly have a huge weight on every decision we make without even really noticing it. If someone nearby is moaning and groaning at the gym because they hate it, that can be contagious subconsciously.

This thread is a good reminder to reevaluate my surroundings, friends, and most importantly my own actions that are shaping my life. I'll need to try this just for a few weeks.. ;)

Last edited:

NeoDialectic

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
685%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
my wants are different than my current identity.
That's a really good way of putting it.

I think conflicting wants and values are responsible for alot of frustration. You can do anything, just not everything.

The thing with entrepreneurship is that at least for a set amount of time, it really does have to be a very high value in your life and your identity needs to be consistent with that.

Last edited:

Goodfella999

My biggest regret is not starting sooner
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Apr 29, 2022
South FL

Unlike the other lenses, there is a clear answer and prescription here. The good olé fake it to you make it. For this time period you commit to not do anything on the pleasure/interest/work side of your life, unless it relates to money or your business. Don’t talk to your friends that aren’t interested in business. Make an active effort to talk to your go getter friends or that one friend that is always working on something. Don’t have any? Make them virtually on forums or in other places. Speaking of forums. Like sitting on forums for your hobbies like cars/watches/video games/etc? No more. The only forums you know now are forums that pertain to business. Like watching movies and youtubing? You can keep watching things, but they better be about making money. If you have to watch something on Friday night with your significant other, it should be something like the Wolf of Wallstreet versus Lord of The Rings.

Now go out and get it!
I think we all needed to hear this. Reminds me of when Connor Mcgregor was on his rise to the top and talked about how every single aspect of his life was dedicated to fighting. "I am not talented I am obsessed"
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxwOqKe4AdM

NeoDialectic

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
685%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
I think we all needed to hear this. Reminds me of when Connor Mcgregor was on his rise to the top and talked about how every single aspect of his life was dedicated to fighting. "I am not talented I am obsessed"
Yep. To be the best, you have to be obsessed. Like @fastlane_dad 's post on Mr. Beast. I don't think you have to be obsessed to make millions in business. BUT, you do have to make it a priority and the closer to obsessed you are the better, faster, stronger you will likely succeed.

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Sep 12, 2022

Unlike the other lenses, there is a clear answer and prescription here. The good olé fake it to you make it. For this time period you commit to not do anything on the pleasure/interest/work side of your life, unless it relates to money or your business. Don’t talk to your friends that aren’t interested in business. Make an active effort to talk to your go getter friends or that one friend that is always working on something. Don’t have any? Make them virtually on forums or in other places. Speaking of forums. Like sitting on forums for your hobbies like cars/watches/video games/etc? No more. The only forums you know now are forums that pertain to business. Like watching movies and youtubing? You can keep watching things, but they better be about making money. Like reading? It better be a book on business. If you have to watch something on Friday night with your significant other, it should be something like the Wolf of Wallstreet versus Lord of The Rings.

Now go out and get it!
Thank you for the post @NeoDialectic. I struggle to find motivation everyday to work on my web design business. I will implement this and give all my attention to all things related to business/making money for the upcoming weeks. Hopefully this works.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.