The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Progress Thread] The Blogger's Lifestyle Journey

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
What's up, guys. I just joined the Fastlane INSIDERS and figured I would make a really in-depth progress thread, not only to keep myself accountable, but to help everyone here as well.

If you don't know my story, take a look at the post I previously made, entitled:

"Everything I Learned Blogging From $0 to $15k/month"

Basically as of now, I run a blog that averages about $5k/month, with occasional spikes if I'm doing a product launch or something of that nature.

I want to accomplish many goals in 2019, however, my main goal is to earn $15k/month in gross income, on a consistent basis.

As I said before, my income is sporadic. I do a product launch and get $15k, but if I don't keep re-launching products, my income tapers off down to the $4-6k range. I want to be earning $15k/month with a high level of predictability, by July 31st this year.

Here are my income metrics:
  • Earn about $3-4k from digital product sales each month PASSIVELY
  • Earn another $1k from affiliate advertising each month PASSIVELY
  • Earn another $500-1k from coaching clients each month PASSIVELY
Here are my current "leverage points":
  • Getting about 2,000 uniques per day via SEO free traffic
  • Have about 3,100 highly responsive people on my email list
  • Have about 1,500 subscribers to my push notifications
  • Have about 850 subscribers on YouTube
Clearly, in order to make $15k/month on a consistent basis, I would have to do one of the following things, and more likely, a combination of them:
  • 3x My Organic SEO Traffic (from 2,000 to 6,000)
  • 3x My EPC (from $.60 to $1.80)
  • 3x My CTR (from 1.5% to 4.5%)
  • 3x My Email List (from 3,100 to 9,300)
  • 3x My Subscribers to Push Notifications (from 1,500 to 4,500)
  • 3x My Subscribers on YouTube (from 850 to 2,550)
I think, as I said, the most likely thing that will happen is I'll do a combination of these things. In addition to this however, there are other things in the works:
  1. An old buddy of mine just reached out, wanting to build a HUGE news website (with 3 million likes on our Facebook page). If I could write for him part-time, this could easily allow me to pour an extra $2k/month into my blog and grow it
  2. The same guy also wants my help building a bodybuilding website, which when it happens, will drastically improve the SEO of my blog, since I'll be giving it backlinks
  3. I have a list of 15 vetted coaching clients, who all are willing to invest $300/month or more in coaching with me. I plan to leverage this as well.
So, with all of this in mind, here is my plan to 3x my income by July 31st, which means I have 137 days left to do so:
  • Triple down on the time I'm spending getting high quality backlinks to critical posts that lead to a high conversion rate. Specifically get backlinks for the posts which are providing me with 80% of the clients, product sales, and affiliate sales.
  • Focus on automation. I'm currently split-testing an email campaign sequence, that takes about 6 months to fully complete. I will compare the metrics to my previous campaign and make alterations to improve open rate and CTR.
  • Release an eBook on Amazon, to finally have a lower end product. So far, the cheapest eBook I have has been $47, with the more expensive video courses ranging up to $497. Having a cheap, $9 eBook will lower the barrier to entry for many of my financially impoverished fans, which will improve sales overall.
  • Triple down on creating YouTube videos. Put a highly engaging, short, sweet YouTube video out 5x/week answering a reader's question. This will boost my exposure, increase user engagement, and ultimately increase sales.
  • Build the bodybuilding and news websites with my friend, so I can earn an extra $5k/6k per month, and then put some of it back into growing my blog. The SEO will also help drastically improve the supplement-related affiliate pages on my blog.
  • Close 5-10 new clients on a monthly retainer. This will earn me an extra $3k/month, and it will feel great helping people get their lives in order.
Overall, 2019 is going to be my year. I've struggled a lot with budgeting in the past, but I believe that with guidance from everyone here, my close friends and family, and with a little bit of hard work and effort, I'll be making that $15k/month in no time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Keep track of that $9 book and make sure it's not making your $47 books less desirable. It takes 5+ people to buy the $9 book to make up for 1 person buying the $47 book. Hopefully you made the $9 book lead in to the $47 book(s). Sounds like you are hustling!

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
Keep track of that $9 book and make sure it's not making your $47 books less desirable. It takes 5+ people to buy the $9 book to make up for 1 person buying the $47 book. Hopefully you made the $9 book lead in to the $47 book(s). Sounds like you are hustling!

That's another part of the plan I didn't mention. I'm also going to be using the $9 book to promote every other product and service I offer. Basically use it as an entry level product to gain peoples' trust, show them I can provide value, and get them to know me more, before they buy my other products.

Divine_Joker

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Feb 5, 2019
Commenting for receiving updates. !!!!!!! Wish you a best of luck and also share Your knowledge regarding Blogging.

Question : You used the WordPress & If so for SEO which plugins you are using ? As I see You have good Traffic Which hosting you suggest ? Just curious to know. What about building back-links? Any tools you suggest ?

Xaridimos

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 24, 2018
Hey @Jon Anthony

I have already read your post:

and I must say that it helped A LOT in my own journey to building a blog. I had already formed a plan with many similarities and your own journey to success, really inspired me. Your post shows me some of the obstacles that I may encounter in the future and this is really helpful. Moreover, there are many great ideas in that post (and also this one) that make it a MUST READ for wannabe bloggers.

It is really great to see that in order to take your blog to the next level you have really SPECIFIC AND MEASURABLE GOALS instead of general ones. This is a great lesson that we must all learn by the way.

Your posts provided me with a ton of information about blogging and I can't thank you enough. I really believe you can grow your blogging business even more and I wish you so.

Best of success Friend.

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
Update! This week I:
-Drastically improved SEO (I got around 25 back links to key posts)
-Made progress on my eBook cover (getting it designed currently)
-Closed a client on a monthly retainer (that's +$700/month)
-Made a commitment to upload YT videos Monday - Friday

The SEO will take 1-2 months to kick into gear, but I'm keeping at it, so I expect my traffic will increase heavily over the next six months or so.

Let's see how the eBook launch pans out. Still playing around with some ideas on how to do it, how to promote it, how to price it, etc.

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
Update!

Over the past two weeks, I've focused heavily on SEO. I figure it's a longer term investment, and won't really start to show up for 2-3 months, but it's a good investment to focus on.

I also started applying this concept to my life: double down on what's already working.

I realized much of my income comes from affiliate sales, so why not double down?
-Get more SEO juice to affiliate posts
-Write more reviews
-Optimize email funnel/marketing for this

I also launched a new eBook on Amazon, just to see how well the promotion tactics work for me. Kindle has some great promotion programs, which I'm going to use after I get a few good reviews and some cred.

I'm also focusing on growing my YouTube channel, by:
-Putting out 2-3 QUALITY videos each week
-Good edits, professional cuts, etc.
-Clickbait thumbnails
-Topics everyone wants to hear about

Also focusing more on "user experience" and branding. Nobody wants to be sold, so if you can provide solid value first, then just constantly remind them you also have higher quality, premium products, that will work a lot better than spamming them every day saying: "BUY MY SHIT!"

Last month was pretty good in sales, so I will definitely keep you guys posted.

In a year or two I'll have my dream car... the Corvette ZR1 (yellow and black). Mark my words ;)

Last edited:

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
Update!

Haven't posted in a while, because I've chosen to focus on work. A lot has happened though, and I'm here to share what I've learned over the past 5 months or so.

Currently in San Diego, typing this out as I'm looking at the ocean (through my window). Having a good time, guys. This is possible for all of us, if we're just willing to take the chance and pull the trigger. Take action, and the results will follow.

Key Performance Indicators (KPI) Updates
  • Income: Monthly income is up by 115% since January. It increased by 47% from March to April (the biggest monthly jump), and another 25-30% from April to May (still waiting for the month to end before I calculate it).
  • Traffic: Organic daily traffic is up by 34% since January. Who says SEO is dead? Getting about 3400 new leads per day, turning that into 5,400+ views each day.
  • Email Acquisition: Weekly email acquisition is up by 326%. They're far more targeted, too.

How did I achieve these changes? Here's how.

Rules I Follow
  1. Always 10x Your Effort on What's Already Working
  2. Always LEVERAGE Existing Systems, Rather Than Creating New Ones

My focus over the past several months was to double down on SEO, and to plug products and promotions into pages that were already converting very well.

Again, focus on what's working, and double down your shit, my friends.

Double Down on SEO (What I Did)
One reason I think I made so much progress, was I just doubled down on what was working. Most of the "SEO is dead" crowd doesn't know what the F*ck they're talking about in my experience.

"Oh no, but Google can take your traffic away in an instant!" Really? Have you built a F*cking blog that gets over 3,000 organic uniques each day? With ZERO F*cking paid traffic? I didn't think so.

Unless you're using sketchy blackhat tactics, yes, you might see some dips and increases here and there, but in general, you're building a STRUCTURE that will last long term. It's an asset. You're building an asset (your website).

I also optimized existing pages that were already bringing in a lot of traffic. Faster load times, better images, cleaner sales funnel, more headings, etc. Again, this helped increased my traffic from January up by around 34%.

Biggest Breakthrough
My biggest breakthrough was YouTube. I realized I was focusing so much on article SEO, when I can easily make a quick YouTube video and will get SEO results almost instantly.

In fact, I'm now ranking #1 for the image, YouTube video, AND article, for a few very important, high buyer intent, high trafficked keywords on Google.

In other words, I'm dominating page #1 with THREE F*cking results, all for the same terms that generate cash.

No, I don't mean I have three separate posts/videos on different pages of Google. I'm talking about the SAME PAGE. I take up the entire upper 1/3 of the page, which means I get literally 90% of the traffic from those keyword terms.

Using this method, I literally increased my affiliate income (from just one affiliate) by over 400% since January. The biggest jump was from last month, which sent it up by about 250%. In one month.

I launched a video two weeks ago, and it's going viral. Already got 34,000 views (which dwarfs my others) and is continuing to get more. The key though is that they're highly TARGETED views, of people looking to buy something.

YouTube isn't for everyone, which is good. You need to be highly engaging, have good editing skills, and be very articulate in front of the camera. Thankfully, I've got all of these things. Can't believe I didn't start leveraging this earlier.

Other Breakthroughs
I also started focusing more on email marketing, and outreach to other bloggers in my space. Again, why start from scratch, when I can leverage their entire social and SEO network to help the both of us get more money?

Seems like a very obvious thing to say, but still, most entrepreneurship advice is obvious and yet nobody does it. Or, even worse, we get so much tunnel vision that we can't even see where we're going wrong.

Key Experiments
I think that testing is the key to success. Many people refuse to test things out, for whatever reason, and it's a huge mistake. Testing allows you to gain more DATA which you can then use to guide your ACTIONS.

Here were some of the key tests I did over the past 5 months:
  • Email Lead Magnet Split Testing
  • Email Sequence (Automation Campaigns) Split Testing
  • YouTube Topics/Thumbnails/CTR Testing
  • New Products Testing
For the products, just create a quick $9-20 guide, basic sales page, and see how well it converts with either organic traffic (in my case) or cold traffic. If it does well, build it up, expand upon it, create upsells, and scale the shit out of it.

Here are the major experiments I will be focusing on over the next month or two:
  • YouTube
  • Google Ads
  • New Products & Enhanced Sales Pages

I can't believe I didn't start playing the YouTube game earlier on. In just a day of work, I put out a video that is so far making me over $2-3k per WEEK. Just from that ONE video in affiliate sales. Absolutely incredible.

So, over the next few weeks, and in the upcoming months, I will be RAPIDLY experimenting with YouTube, optimizing my existing videos, and focusing on topics that convert well, while still retaining my integrity and focusing on the topics that I want to talk about, and think could really help others.

As for Google Ads, I can't believe I didn't start this earlier. I'll admit it - I was afraid. It was a little bit daunting. But, I'm starting small, with just a $15/day budget, gaining some actionable data, and going from there.

I will eventually build different sales pages, target them with traffic, test, test, test, and scale up and out from there.

As for new products, I've been testing more and more with small products. I already have a whole cache of upsells and bonuses, so I'm making individual sales pages for some of them and testing to see how well they convert.

I will be putting up a VSL (can't believe I didn't do this earlier) to 2x conversions (the average increase) and will be changing graphic design, SMTP, and more.

I also plan on launching a new, large, and epic high ticket video course, probably on mindset. I realized many of my product names, and my marketing, wasn't completely on point. I plan on changing this.

Basic Recap
Anyways guys, I hope you enjoyed this post. The biggest thing is to focus on what's already WORKING, and double, triple, quadruple, and 100 F*ckING X your effort down onto it.

Run lots of little experiments in addition to this. Focus 80% of your effort on what's already working, and 20% of your effort onto small little tests that can give you actionable data. Then, once you find a small test that works, try scaling it up, seeing if it works on a larger level, and going from there.

Hope you all enjoyed this. I've had a few bloggers message me, saying that they got hope from this thread, so I'm going to keep it going! I hope all of you guys achieve your dreams and goals this year, and I'll talk to you later ;)

To Your Success,
-Jon

Varun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Feb 9, 2018
Update!

Haven't posted in a while, because I've chosen to focus on work. A lot has happened though, and I'm here to share what I've learned over the past 5 months or so.

Currently in San Diego, typing this out as I'm looking at the ocean (through my window). Having a good time, guys. This is possible for all of us, if we're just willing to take the chance and pull the trigger. Take action, and the results will follow.

Key Performance Indicators (KPI) Updates
  • Income: Monthly income is up by 115% since January. It increased by 47% from March to April (the biggest monthly jump), and another 25-30% from April to May (still waiting for the month to end before I calculate it).
  • Traffic: Organic daily traffic is up by 34% since January. Who says SEO is dead? Getting about 3400 new leads per day, turning that into 5,400+ views each day.
  • Email Acquisition: Weekly email acquisition is up by 326%. They're far more targeted, too.

How did I achieve these changes? Here's how.

Rules I Follow
  1. Always 10x Your Effort on What's Already Working
  2. Always LEVERAGE Existing Systems, Rather Than Creating New Ones

My focus over the past several months was to double down on SEO, and to plug products and promotions into pages that were already converting very well.

Again, focus on what's working, and double down your shit, my friends.

Double Down on SEO (What I Did)
One reason I think I made so much progress, was I just doubled down on what was working. Most of the "SEO is dead" crowd doesn't know what the F*ck they're talking about in my experience.

"Oh no, but Google can take your traffic away in an instant!" Really? Have you built a F*cking blog that gets over 3,000 organic uniques each day? With ZERO F*cking paid traffic? I didn't think so.

Unless you're using sketchy blackhat tactics, yes, you might see some dips and increases here and there, but in general, you're building a STRUCTURE that will last long term. It's an asset. You're building an asset (your website).

I also optimized existing pages that were already bringing in a lot of traffic. Faster load times, better images, cleaner sales funnel, more headings, etc. Again, this helped increased my traffic from January up by around 34%.

Biggest Breakthrough
My biggest breakthrough was YouTube. I realized I was focusing so much on article SEO, when I can easily make a quick YouTube video and will get SEO results almost instantly.

In fact, I'm now ranking #1 for the image, YouTube video, AND article, for a few very important, high buyer intent, high trafficked keywords on Google.

In other words, I'm dominating page #1 with THREE F*cking results, all for the same terms that generate cash.

No, I don't mean I have three separate posts/videos on different pages of Google. I'm talking about the SAME PAGE. I take up the entire upper 1/3 of the page, which means I get literally 90% of the traffic from those keyword terms.

Using this method, I literally increased my affiliate income (from just one affiliate) by over 400% since January. The biggest jump was from last month, which sent it up by about 250%. In one month.

I launched a video two weeks ago, and it's going viral. Already got 34,000 views (which dwarfs my others) and is continuing to get more. The key though is that they're highly TARGETED views, of people looking to buy something.

YouTube isn't for everyone, which is good. You need to be highly engaging, have good editing skills, and be very articulate in front of the camera. Thankfully, I've got all of these things. Can't believe I didn't start leveraging this earlier.

Other Breakthroughs
I also started focusing more on email marketing, and outreach to other bloggers in my space. Again, why start from scratch, when I can leverage their entire social and SEO network to help the both of us get more money?

Seems like a very obvious thing to say, but still, most entrepreneurship advice is obvious and yet nobody does it. Or, even worse, we get so much tunnel vision that we can't even see where we're going wrong.

Key Experiments
I think that testing is the key to success. Many people refuse to test things out, for whatever reason, and it's a huge mistake. Testing allows you to gain more DATA which you can then use to guide your ACTIONS.

Here were some of the key tests I did over the past 5 months:
  • Email Lead Magnet Split Testing
  • Email Sequence (Automation Campaigns) Split Testing
  • YouTube Topics/Thumbnails/CTR Testing
  • New Products Testing
For the products, just create a quick $9-20 guide, basic sales page, and see how well it converts with either organic traffic (in my case) or cold traffic. If it does well, build it up, expand upon it, create upsells, and scale the shit out of it.

Here are the major experiments I will be focusing on over the next month or two:
  • YouTube
  • Google Ads
  • New Products & Enhanced Sales Pages

I can't believe I didn't start playing the YouTube game earlier on. In just a day of work, I put out a video that is so far making me over $2-3k per WEEK. Just from that ONE video in affiliate sales. Absolutely incredible.

So, over the next few weeks, and in the upcoming months, I will be RAPIDLY experimenting with YouTube, optimizing my existing videos, and focusing on topics that convert well, while still retaining my integrity and focusing on the topics that I want to talk about, and think could really help others.

As for Google Ads, I can't believe I didn't start this earlier. I'll admit it - I was afraid. It was a little bit daunting. But, I'm starting small, with just a $15/day budget, gaining some actionable data, and going from there.

I will eventually build different sales pages, target them with traffic, test, test, test, and scale up and out from there.

As for new products, I've been testing more and more with small products. I already have a whole cache of upsells and bonuses, so I'm making individual sales pages for some of them and testing to see how well they convert.

I will be putting up a VSL (can't believe I didn't do this earlier) to 2x conversions (the average increase) and will be changing graphic design, SMTP, and more.

I also plan on launching a new, large, and epic high ticket video course, probably on mindset. I realized many of my product names, and my marketing, wasn't completely on point. I plan on changing this.

Basic Recap
Anyways guys, I hope you enjoyed this post. The biggest thing is to focus on what's already WORKING, and double, triple, quadruple, and 100 F*ckING X your effort down onto it.

Run lots of little experiments in addition to this. Focus 80% of your effort on what's already working, and 20% of your effort onto small little tests that can give you actionable data. Then, once you find a small test that works, try scaling it up, seeing if it works on a larger level, and going from there.

Hope you all enjoyed this. I've had a few bloggers message me, saying that they got hope from this thread, so I'm going to keep it going! I hope all of you guys achieve your dreams and goals this year, and I'll talk to you later ;)

To Your Success,
-Jon

Amazing F*cking thread. Now you're really starting to see gains compound!

I'm basically where you were 4-5 months in your journey. Currently sitting at 38 articles, will put out a mailing list at 40, then an ebook soon(within the month).

Taking inspiration from you, really great stuff in this thread.

Abrodos

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 25, 2019
Barcelona, Spain
Hi Jon! As a newcomer I've been reading your thread and I'm amazed of what you have achieved.
I checked your blog for myself, and I'm intrigued about something:

There's another guy running a similar business as yours (although in a much sloppier way), in roughly the same niche, with almost the exact same name as you, same products, etc.
- Did you know about him before launching?
- Do you know if it has it been some kind of marketing strategy from his part?
- Has this name coincidence (and the fact that he's earned himself quite a bad reputation) had any negative impact on your business?

I have another question, in regards to the article-writing aspect, as I'm already producing some content.
During your first six months, were you just creating content non-stop and storing it, or were you releasing/posting it? Did you have a strategy (like posting in the blog twice a week or so)? Or you started to share the content later, when you already had a nice pile of articles sitting on your computer?

Thanks for sharing such an inspiring journey! And congrats on the quality content of your blog, You have gained a new reader!

David

Last edited:

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
Amazing F*cking thread. Now you're really starting to see gains compound!

I'm basically where you were 4-5 months in your journey. Currently sitting at 38 articles, will put out a mailing list at 40, then an ebook soon(within the month).

Taking inspiration from you, really great stuff in this thread.
Thanks, my dude. Can't wait to hear your progress!

Hi Jon! As a newcomer I've been reading your thread and I'm amazed of what you have achieved.
I checked your blog for myself, and I'm intrigued about something:

There's another guy running a similar business as yours (although in a much sloppier way), in roughly the same niche, with almost the exact same name as you, same products, etc.
- Did you know about him before launching?
- Do you know if it has it been some kind of marketing strategy from his part?
- Has this name coincidence (and the fact that he's earned himself quite a bad reputation) had any negative impact on your business?

I have another question, in regards to the article-writing aspect, as I'm already producing some content.
During your first six months, were you just creating content non-stop and storing it, or were you releasing/posting it? Did you have a strategy (like posting in the blog twice a week or so)? Or you started to share the content later, when you already had a nice pile of articles sitting on your computer?

Thanks for sharing such an inspiring journey! And congrats on the quality content of your blog, You have gained a new reader!

David
Funny you say that. His name used to be JMULV, but he changed it to "John Anthony Lifestyle" for some reason. So, as far as I'm concerned, he took my name ;)

I was just creating nonstop for the first year. I had no idea about content strategy, that came later once I started to learn more about SEO.

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
Update!
It's been a while since I've last posted, so I wanted to keep you guys clued in on what's going on. Expect a picture of an exotic car within the next couple of years (at the latest!).

The past few months has been about STABILIZING income, and I believe I've done it. I'm not experiencing the rapid gains I was, but I'm at a stable $10-15k/month so far.

I've been focusing a ton on upgrading my existing infrastructure. Improving existing posts, their SEO, email collection, marketing, and so on, and so forth.

Negative SEO Attack
Funny enough, I actually saw a HUGE drop in some of my traffic. Like, it went down by F*cking 60% overnight. It's recovered a bit, but it's still not what it was.

I believe this was caused by two things:
  1. Google Core Update in July
  2. Negative SEO Attack from Competitor
The Google core update that happened in July hit a lot of health/fitness sites hard, opting to place sites like Healthline and WebMD in the top 10 results.

I'm not sure how much of my traffic drop was caused by this, but I suspect a lot of it was caused by a negative SEO attack done on me by my competitors.

Essentially what happened is I exposed them for selling BUNK supplements, and they threatened to sue me over it. I told them to f*ck off, and they didn't take it too kindly.

I started noticing a ton of spammy backlinks pointing to my domain, saying to go there for more "xxx videos," and whatnot. I've since disavowed these links, and expect rankings to go up.

This is what happens when you ruffle some feathers, but I view it as an opportunity to build my blog from the ground up 10x stronger. The fact that I've still been pulling home the same amount of income despite this traffic drop is also impressive, in my opinion.

Highest ROI Moves
The biggest power moves I made were reaching out to other bloggers and content publishers within my niche. In fact, I've got a post publishing tomorrow to a HUGE website.

I expect this to drastically increase my rankings, and help me get a shit ton more traffic. It's amazing how much you can accomplish when you actually just TRY.

Here were the highest ROI moves I made:
  • Reached out to 50+ blogs asking to collaborate
  • Re-adjusted all of my SEO, keywords, content, etc.
  • Mobile Optimizing My Website
  • Increasing Speed for SEO (and user experience)
Using just a few simple tricks, I cut my site loading speed down from 10 seconds to 2 seconds. That had a HUGE impact on user engagement, in a very good way.

I also reached out to a ton of websites, as I mentioned before, and got a few of them hitting me back. This is sometimes demoralizing to people, but it's a necessary part of doing business.

Overall, I didn't make any major "breakthroughs" this last month. I view it more as a "recovery" period, where I'm taking the time to stabilize my business and adjust the current infrastructure.

I expect to make several big breakthroughs over the next few months, as I learn more, put more theory into practice, and just gain more experience overall.

What I Expect
The biggest thing I'm looking forward to right now is my content being published on a HUGE website, which I mentioned before. These guys are Ahrefs rank 30,000 and are VERY niche specific for the keywords I'm trying to rank for.

I can't wait for this to happen, and hey, even if it doesn't impact my bottom line as much as I want, it's still a HUGE bragging right.

I've also got a few potential big name websites that I'm working on, some of which are under Ahrefs rank 5,000. I expect that if I can post on these sites, my traffic will quadruple in a month or two.

Overall, the past few months have been slightly tedious, but that's what owning a business is like. The reality is that it's not all "cash money" and results. A lot of it is just slow, continual grinding.

All in all, I'm excited for the future. I hope this gives you guys motivation if you need it, as well. Feel free to reach out to me if you want to talk, and I'll see you guys next time! :)

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
Hope there is some type of reward for excellent follow up besides the benefit we readers get.

If you could go back to that scenario with your competitor would you handle it the same way?

Thanks in advance and keep rockin!

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
Hope there is some type of reward for excellent follow up besides the benefit we readers get.

If you could go back to that scenario with your competitor would you handle it the same way?

Thanks in advance and keep rockin!
The reward is I get to help others, make connections here, and help clarify my thoughts ;)

I would handle it EXACTLY the same way. These assholes were using black hat tactics to beat me out in the SERP's, and using FAKE results to promote their bunk products.

I definitely took a hit, but I'd rather keep my integrity than have all the money in the world.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
The reward is I get to help others, make connections here, and help clarify my thoughts ;)

I would handle it EXACTLY the same way. These assholes were using black hat tactics to beat me out in the SERP's, and using FAKE results to promote their bunk products.

I definitely took a hit, but I'd rather keep my integrity than have all the money in the world.

Thanks! Yea if they were already making moves that left you with little choice. It's a bummer an online business sometimes comes with a dark side.

I remember when Pat Flynn of SmartPassiveIncome one of the first people to boldly share very detailed income statements everyone could immensely learn from and leverage had his entire site hacked and was down for days.

He turned it into a learning experience for everyone and shared every step he did to recover and upgrade his servers and security.

Those awesome income statements of his create fans and haters alike. But he still shares with so much transparency to this day.

Thanks again.

PeterKN

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 1, 2019
Wow Jon, what an inspiring journey.
I have one question. You sometimes mentioned that you use ahrefs.
How do you use it? Are there one or two functions that have the most value for you?
I started with ahrefs a few month ago but it is still a little bit overwhelming.
Thanks!

Itzemp3

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Sep 18, 2019
Hey Jon! Great post thanks :)

Curious to understand what were the tricks you used to speed up your site?

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
Wow Jon, what an inspiring journey.
I have one question. You sometimes mentioned that you use ahrefs.
How do you use it? Are there one or two functions that have the most value for you?
I started with ahrefs a few month ago but it is still a little bit overwhelming.
Thanks!
Use Google.

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
UPDATE: I've spent the past 12 months crushing it.

Biggest lesson I learned is DOUBLE DOWN ON WHAT'S WORKING.

3X DOWN ON WHAT'S WORKING.

10X DOWN ON WHAT'S WORKING.

500,000,000X DOWN ON WHAT'S F*CKING WORKING!

Made $32,000 last month and counting. Aiming to hit $50k/month by the end of the year.

If you want me to keep updating this thread with lessons I learned, just reply so I know there's people actually getting value from it.

To Your Success,
-Jon Anthony

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
UPDATE: I've spent the past 12 months crushing it.

Biggest lesson I learned is DOUBLE DOWN ON WHAT'S WORKING.

3X DOWN ON WHAT'S WORKING.

10X DOWN ON WHAT'S WORKING.

500,000,000X DOWN ON WHAT'S F*CKING WORKING!

Made $32,000 last month and counting. Aiming to hit $50k/month by the end of the year.

If you want me to keep updating this thread with lessons I learned, just reply so I know there's people actually getting value from it.

To Your Success,
-Jon Anthony
I know it's been a while. But yes, please, I'd love to hear more. This thread is very promising, and looks like you are crushing it. Thank you for sharing!

I've researched the hell out of blogging for 2 weeks. I've mainly watched Adam Enfroy's (looks legit, I hope it's not a master guru) videos, taken notes, and drafted a plan. What he recommends sounds a lot like what you've done: affiliate marketing, backlings and building relationships to increase your domain rating. That, plus nailing SEO (things such as Surfer SEO can help optimising on-page SEO).

I'm still a bit hesitant (I'm not 100% clear on the niche, I worry it might be a but too mixed up), but I think I'm going to finish drafting the plan, start keyword research for a month wih ahrefs, and make a content calendar for 6 months. If I manage to get this done for keywords with low competition, I think I stand a chance. I'm not planning to blog about nonsense, but make the blog a decision-making tool for people looking for a particular product. I know it's not sexy, and I'd rather spend my personal time doing something else, but if this is helpful for people, this is the way to go as it'll be helpful for me second. Now see if I can execute, which is where I'm failing over and over.

Looking forward to seeing your progress in the last 2 years.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I know it's been a while. But yes, please, I'd love to hear more. This thread is very promising, and looks like you are crushing it. Thank you for sharing!

I've researched the hell out of blogging for 2 weeks. I've mainly watched Adam Enfroy's (looks legit, I hope it's not a master guru) videos, taken notes, and drafted a plan. What he recommends sounds a lot like what you've done: affiliate marketing, backlings and building relationships to increase your domain rating. That, plus nailing SEO (things such as Surfer SEO can help optimising on-page SEO).

I'm still a bit hesitant (I'm not 100% clear on the niche, I worry it might be a but too mixed up), but I think I'm going to finish drafting the plan, start keyword research for a month wih ahrefs, and make a content calendar for 6 months. If I manage to get this done for keywords with low competition, I think I stand a chance. I'm not planning to blog about nonsense, but make the blog a decision-making tool for people looking for a particular product. I know it's not sexy, and I'd rather spend my personal time doing something else, but if this is helpful for people, this is the way to go as it'll be helpful for me second. Now see if I can execute, which is where I'm failing over and over.

Looking forward to seeing your progress in the last 2 years.
Not OP, who hasn't been on the site since 2020, but I've been doing the content website thing for a long time.

As far as the info from Enfroy, apply what you've learned. Don't buy anything. You already know enough.

Stop this planning shit. You don't need to spend a month researching on Ahrefs or make a content calendar six months out. HOW ARE YOU GOING TO DO RESEARCH WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT WORKS? Research, planning, plotting, and watching videos is all the enjoyable part of starting a content site. The hard part is actually putting it into action. You don't get stronger planning a workout program; you get stronger working out.

Don't get hung up on finding a niche to write about. Your first site/first articles are going to suck. Find ten questions you can answer about a topic, then write ten long-form articles.

How did that feel? Could you do it another dozen dozen dozen times, or was it a drag? Outsourcing may be up your alley if the latter. Then you get to wear the editor hat.

a decision-making tool for people looking for a particular product.
So you're planning on doing product reviews? Do you have a means of handling the product, or are you just rewriting bullet points from the manufacturer and/or curating reviews? If not, you're just going to be another me-too blog doing product reviews for products they've never touched. You'd be better off getting a job at McDonald's for the money you'd make with the effort required.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Not OP, who hasn't been on the site since 2020, but I've been doing the content website thing for a long time.

As far as the info from Enfroy, apply what you've learned. Don't buy anything. You already know enough.

Stop this planning shit. You don't need to spend a month researching on Ahrefs or make a content calendar six months out. HOW ARE YOU GOING TO DO RESEARCH WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT WORKS? Research, planning, plotting, and watching videos is all the enjoyable part of starting a content site. The hard part is actually putting it into action. You don't get stronger planning a workout program; you get stronger working out.

Don't get hung up on finding a niche to write about. Your first site/first articles are going to suck. Find ten questions you can answer about a topic, then write ten long-form articles.

How did that feel? Could you do it another dozen dozen dozen times, or was it a drag? Outsourcing may be up your alley if the latter. Then you get to wear the editor hat.
Thanks, makes sense. The only reason to get 1 month of ahrefs and plan content for a while was to not spend too much on ahrefs. But I was struggling to figure out how the feedback loop would work. As you say, you don't know how it's ranking unless you check on ahrefs. I'll just pay for it and do things correctly.

I'm actually tired of watching his videos as it's the same 3 videos repeated many times.

So you're planning on doing product reviews? Do you have a means of handling the product, or are you just rewriting bullet points from the manufacturer and/or curating reviews? If not, you're just going to be another me-too blog doing product reviews for products they've never touched. You'd be better off getting a job at McDonald's for the money you'd make with the effort required.
I'm planning to start with products that I've used. But yeah, one cringe about my plan is would I get to try enough products by myself, or will I become just a product descriptions summariser. I need to be careful with this.

Thanks for the insights, really appreciated.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018

How did that feel? Could you do it another dozen dozen dozen times, or was it a drag?
I've been thinking about this bit more.

Are you suggesting to just start writing anything and not think about writing something that could be later monetised? I've got no problem with writing dozens of articles on a certain topic that people are interested on. I already have a blog on a programming, and I could write forever. Yet I got very few visits, so this doesn't seem enough. Admittedly, there are many flaws on that blog, but the programming niche is filled with folks who love programming and write about it, then clutter their articles with ads and make 500 bucks with thousands of visitors. I don't think they are different form my aunt writing about her cooking, they don't treat it as a business, just as a hobby. The big names (apart from simpleprogrammer, but that's a different business model, more fluff than value) do not monetise with affiliate marketing, just ads (which suck for both readers and writers) and courses (which are okay down the road).

I agree with your point about starting already and not doing any more planning. But I don't want to end up with a second blog that goes no where, so I think having an idea of how it'll turn into a business is important. If you could provide a bit more detail on what you meant, to make sure I didn't misunderstand, that'd be great :)

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
BTW I didn't know where to post this, so I'll drop it on this thread :)

I've seen two main approaches to creating a profitable blog:

The first one is the affiliate marketing approach. This is what Adam Enfroy does. He also has his high ticket course and makes a few more million, but the former makes him a healthy ton of money, apparently. Ads are complementary and definitely not to be overlooked, but they are one of the smallest chunks of revenue. Keyword research and focusing on writing content that can primarily be monetised later is key here. A few affiliate-free articles here and there, with ads, but pretty much is all about affiliate links. He actively does backlinking to increase his domain rating, and this is paramount to his strategy (no amount of SEO would make him rank without this, he says).

The second approach is what Scott Delong does. He built and sold a few websites, and pretty much ignores SEO, keyword research, and doesn't focus on affiliate links. He says he never built backlinks actively, all of them came because of his good content. His primary source of revenue is Ads (unless I have missed something from what I've read about his previous businesses), and uses Facebook and email to retain users. He sounds more of a creative writer rather than informational. He even talks about creating markets that didn't exist. He focuses in creating great content and trusting it will blow up for good eventually.

Delong is currently on a challenge to build a $500k website in one year. I'm following. He's using the approache above.
View: https://twitter.com/scottintheworld/status/1568739140103196673

I haven't gone through all the progress reports, as I've done way too much reading already. But this one looks quite interesting. He says:

You will, in turn, create content people didn’t even know they wanted.​

And that’s how you make a lot of money.

My last company, a travel site that averaged 500,000 visits a day, is the perfect example.

When I first launched it, the content consisted of things like: The 17 Most Beautiful Spots in _________.

To be honest, I was certain that new ideas would run dry after a couple of months.

How much can you really write about one location?

But I had already built some relatively large Facebook Pages around these locations, so I figured I’d just milk it as long as I could.

Fast forward one year, and I had dozens of writers, millions of followers, hundreds of thousands of email subscribers, and thousands of articles. Fast forward to now, and it has hundreds of thousands of articles, millions of subscribers, and several full time employees.

That’s a business that started with, “how am I going to come up with new ideas for more than two months?”

Through constant adaptation, what we ended up doing was creating a market.

If I had used keyword research to dictate what to write next, this would have been a colossal failure.

I’d be chasing other people’s wins rather than making my own.

We had a huge spreadsheet where we’d share ideas: literally just stuff that sounded fun to write, stuff our audience would probably enjoy, and, perhaps most notably, stuff our audience didn’t even know existed.

It’s not always about answering what someone is already searching for. Sometimes it’s about showing people something they didn’t even realize they wanted.

These two approaches look completely opposite to me. Yet, two folks who have made them work. I really wonder whether Delong's approach works in 2023, as he started blogging seriously ages ago and still relies on ads as in the old days. Looking forward to seeing the outcome of his challenge.

EDIT: I didn't notice before, but this excerpt from the Delong's Week 13 link I shared above looks to me like a description of (and lash at) Enfroy's strategy, almost point by point (including FAQ at the end, lol). Probably unintentional. Probably.

With the digital marketing cobwebs dusted off, you’re no longer bound to:

• How much search volume an idea has.
  • What the competition looks like.
  • Whether your AI writing tool is accurate.
  • If your Yoast readability is a green dot.
  • Whether you’ve included exactly 4 photos.
  • Or 3 internal links.
  • Or 4 external links.
  • Or have the perfect h2s.
    Or an FAQ section based on “People also ask.”

Your site is your domain (literally and figuratively). Create the content you want to see.

Last edited:

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Are you suggesting to just start writing anything and not think about writing something that could be later monetised?
Since you're comfortable writing a lot, that changes things a bit. It seemed like you were starting at zero from your original post in this thread.

Niche/topic selection -> how you can monetize -> keyword/content to create to make money -> creation & promotion

You can stress about the first three forever, but you're not going to learn what works until you hit step four. That's what I mean by just starting. Everything before getting started is theory.

Under any given niche are multiple ways to monetize: your product(s) > affiliate > display ads.

Depending on how you plan on monetizing will influence the kind of content you'll create. You don't have to settle for one.

In your follow-ups, you mention two different methods of eyeball acquisition. One is primarily an SEO play, and the other is an active promotion plan. There are pros and cons to both, and no rules saying you need to do one or the other. Both require skill to pull off, and if you can master be even a little good at both, you will be hitting consistent W's.

I suggest installing the free version of Grammarly to clean up your writing.

MaxT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Oct 22, 2020
France
That's really cool to read you, I've started two blogs for promote my iOS and Android apps. So I write French and English articles for my blogs, what's your advices for promote articles ? What's your best growth hack for improve your SEO ?

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Since you're comfortable writing a lot, that changes things a bit. It seemed like you were starting at zero from your original post in this thread.
Thanks for the tips!

I'm a decent technical writer and got some attention on a few articles I wrote long ago. But never figured out how to monetise them, it was more of a techy hobby.

Niche/topic selection -> how you can monetize -> keyword/content to create to make money -> creation & promotion

You can stress about the first three forever, but you're not going to learn what works until you hit step four. That's what I mean by just starting. Everything before getting started is theory.

Under any given niche are multiple ways to monetize: your product(s) > affiliate > display ads.

Depending on how you plan on monetizing will influence the kind of content you'll create. You don't have to settle for one.

I've been niche-agonising again for a few days, lol. But I'll let it go and just start with the original niche in which I have more expertise. I followed your advice and came up with 10+ article ideas that answer a question (in a few niches actually, which was a good exercise, and helped me decide on the niche above). I'm writing now. I did research monetisation but, as you say, I'll discover the path as I go. So I'll just get started.

In your follow-ups, you mention two different methods of eyeball acquisition. One is primarily an SEO play, and the other is an active promotion plan. There are pros and cons to both, and no rules saying you need to do one or the other. Both require skill to pull off, and if you can master be even a little good at both, you will be hitting consistent W's.
That's what I was thinking as well. Two different approaches that can surely be combined, no need to choose one over the other, specially at the beginning when who knows where I'll land.

I suggest installing the free version of Grammarly to clean up your writing.
I'll definitely use Grammarly, specially given I'm not a native speaker. I'll get some SEO tool as well and see how I can mangle everything without sounding like a 3am TV ad. It must be tricky to get a good balance between genuine good content written for human beings and content that Google likes... But I'll figure out as I go.

I really appreciate your help :) Thanks again for your input.

Midnight Sun

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 17, 2024
What's up, guys. I just joined the Fastlane INSIDERS and figured I would make a really in-depth progress thread, not only to keep myself accountable, but to help everyone here as well.

If you don't know my story, take a look at the post I previously made, entitled:

Basically as of now, I run a blog that averages about $5k/month, with occasional spikes if I'm doing a product launch or something of that nature.

I want to accomplish many goals in 2019, however, my main goal is to earn $15k/month in gross income, on a consistent basis.

As I said before, my income is sporadic. I do a product launch and get $15k, but if I don't keep re-launching products, my income tapers off down to the $4-6k range. I want to be earning $15k/month with a high level of predictability, by July 31st this year.

Here are my income metrics:
  • Earn about $3-4k from digital product sales each month PASSIVELY
  • Earn another $1k from affiliate advertising each month PASSIVELY
  • Earn another $500-1k from coaching clients each month PASSIVELY
Here are my current "leverage points":
  • Getting about 2,000 uniques per day via SEO free traffic
  • Have about 3,100 highly responsive people on my email list
  • Have about 1,500 subscribers to my push notifications
  • Have about 850 subscribers on YouTube
Clearly, in order to make $15k/month on a consistent basis, I would have to do one of the following things, and more likely, a combination of them:
  • 3x My Organic SEO Traffic (from 2,000 to 6,000)
  • 3x My EPC (from $.60 to $1.80)
  • 3x My CTR (from 1.5% to 4.5%)
  • 3x My Email List (from 3,100 to 9,300)
  • 3x My Subscribers to Push Notifications (from 1,500 to 4,500)
  • 3x My Subscribers on YouTube (from 850 to 2,550)
I think, as I said, the most likely thing that will happen is I'll do a combination of these things. In addition to this however, there are other things in the works:
  1. An old buddy of mine just reached out, wanting to build a HUGE news website (with 3 million likes on our Facebook page). If I could write for him part-time, this could easily allow me to pour an extra $2k/month into my blog and grow it
  2. The same guy also wants my help building a bodybuilding website, which when it happens, will drastically improve the SEO of my blog, since I'll be giving it backlinks
  3. I have a list of 15 vetted coaching clients, who all are willing to invest $300/month or more in coaching with me. I plan to leverage this as well.
So, with all of this in mind, here is my plan to 3x my income by July 31st, which means I have 137 days left to do so:
  • Triple down on the time I'm spending getting high quality backlinks to critical posts that lead to a high conversion rate. Specifically get backlinks for the posts which are providing me with 80% of the clients, product sales, and affiliate sales.
  • Focus on automation. I'm currently split-testing an email campaign sequence, that takes about 6 months to fully complete. I will compare the metrics to my previous campaign and make alterations to improve open rate and CTR.
  • Release an eBook on Amazon, to finally have a lower end product. So far, the cheapest eBook I have has been $47, with the more expensive video courses ranging up to $497. Having a cheap, $9 eBook will lower the barrier to entry for many of my financially impoverished fans, which will improve sales overall.
  • Triple down on creating YouTube videos. Put a highly engaging, short, sweet YouTube video out 5x/week answering a reader's question. This will boost my exposure, increase user engagement, and ultimately increase sales.
  • Build the bodybuilding and news websites with my friend, so I can earn an extra $5k/6k per month, and then put some of it back into growing my blog. The SEO will also help drastically improve the supplement-related affiliate pages on my blog.
  • Close 5-10 new clients on a monthly retainer. This will earn me an extra $3k/month, and it will feel great helping people get their lives in order.
Overall, 2019 is going to be my year. I've struggled a lot with budgeting in the past, but I believe that with guidance from everyone here, my close friends and family, and with a little bit of hard work and effort, I'll be making that $15k/month in no time.
Hi Jon, I wonder whether we can do SEO using blogspot? i mean is this realistic to start monetizing something, probably selling product on blogspot instead of actual website?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.