The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
EDIT: Follow my journey thread here: EXECUTION - [Progress Thread] The Blogger's Lifestyle Journey

What's up, guys. I just introduced myself about an hour ago, and figured I'd start right off by adding a ton of value upfront.

My name's Jon. I've been blogging and running a self-development website since 2016, and here's basically everything I've learned since I first started.

I made the website when I was around 20 years old, because I was fed up working $8/hour jobs, and always knew that I wanted something more than that.

I'd previously tried a bunch of different hustles online, and had some really good success trading the stock market, but wanted to try something new and get my feet wet.

Through a ton of failures and mistakes, I eventually had my first $15k month this year... I did about $10k through Stripe processing, another $3k through PayPal processing, and another $2k or so through coaching and affiliate advertising.

Income-1.png

Income-2.png

I knew absolutely NOTHING about SEO or blogging when I first started in 2016, and yet decided to pull the trigger. The best way to learn is through ACTION and EXECUTION.

So, without further ado... here's everything I learned in the past 3 years of blogging.

Part 1: The Launch
For the first few months of blogging, I didn't even have a website set up.

Well, that's technically not true... I did have one set up. But it wasn't an actual website-website. It was just a URL with an email capture, saying that I was "Launching Soon."

I guest posted on a couple of similar websites and got a small email list going, so that when I finally did make the blog live, with actual content, I'd have some people to show it to.

The biggest lesson I learned from this, was simple...

JUST. TAKE. ACTION.

If there's one thing I've learned from the past three years, it's that just taking action and TESTING things is always better than inaction.

For anyone wondering, here's the "tools" I used to start:
  • Free Wordpress Landing Page Theme
  • MailCheat(Chimp) to gather emails (free below a certain number of subscribers)
  • Bluehost to host my website and buy domain name
That's it. No fancy tools or tricks, the cost was virtually nothing.

Once I launched, I started putting out content DAILY to gain a dedicated reader base. That's when I eventually hit my stride...

Part 2: The First 6 Months
For the first 6 months, I didn't do much except write.

I'd wake up, and write an article. Then I'd write another.

I'd keep writing until my eyes bled.

It didn't matter what I was writing about. I just wrote about things I thought was interesting. Anything in the self-development world, that I thought could help people.

I knew nothing of SEO. I knew nothing of sales funnels. I just wrote and wrote and wrote, hoping that somehow, something would magically happen.

Obviously, it didn't.

It wasn't until I started using Tony Robbins' concept of "Modeling" that I began to figure out the blogging game...

I realized that other companies were doing something called "affiliate advertising" and that it was working pretty well for them.

So, I opened up an affiliate advertising account with Amazon, and began putting little plugs to products I liked in some of my articles.

It was working alright, but not that well. I was getting maybe $30/month or so from the affiliate advertising, which to be fair, was more than I excepted.

BUT, it wasn't what I wanted.

So, I decided to make my very first product...

Part 3: First Product Launch (Months 6-12)
At first, I had no idea what to launch.

I was literally clueless.

Eventually however, I got fed up with my own shit, and just decided to take action.

So, I found a similar guy in my niche, and saw some of the products he was selling. I modeled one of them, used it to create my own unique product, and created the concept.

I decided to create an eBook.

As a funny side note, I was actually driving Uber at the time to support myself, too. So I ended up making most of the product outline while I was waiting between calls.

There used to be this spot you could park near my city, where you'd still get paid to drive Uber hourly, but where nobody would request you to drive.

So I'd sit there, and for a couple of weeks, just brainstorm ideas on how to design and structure my eBook.

Eventually, I drafted everything. This was in addition to still writing almost daily, to keep my audience engaged.

Here's the tools I used, in case anyone wants to know:
  • Fiverr to design the cover (cost maybe $5)
  • Apache Open Office to write/create the eBook PDF
  • PayPal to process sales
  • eJunkie to deliver eBook (costs $5/month)
That was it. I launched the eBook to my email list, slapped an ad for it on my website, and made over $100 my first day.

It was pennies looking back, but at the time, I thought I was rich.

"This is it," I thought. "I've made it..."

Oh my God how I was wrong, lol.

Sales dropped down to about $15/day (on average), which was still a hell of a lot better than when I started, but not nearly enough to sustain myself.

So, I began journeying forward...

But before I go to the next section, let me tell you what I learned here:
  • Have a product. It doesn't matter what. Just have one. Unless your business is SOLELY designed around affiliate advertising, you NEED a product.
  • eBooks are a great first way to start. They cost almost nothing to create, and people will buy them if they trust you. They're also highly automated.
  • Model the competition. Find what they're doing that works, and do that.
Okay. Now that this is out of the way, let's move on to the next part...

Part 4: New Product, and SEO (Year 2)
It's funny how naive I was looking back...

But then again, I'm sure I'll think the same of myself NOW in just a few months.

Either way, I felt lost.

I'd launched my eBook. Shouldn't millions of people buy it, and I can retire young?

Nope. Unfortunately, that's not how the world works...

So I wound up getting in touch with an old entrepreneur mentor who I'd met in college, and he told me one thing that would forever change my life: "Search Engine Optimization."

I had such a vague idea of what it was at the time, but looking back, I wish I would've heeded his advice WAY earlier.

Year 2 was primarily composed of me focusing on two things: improving SEO, and launching a new eBook, with better copy, and a sales funnel.

I took his advice to heart, and purchased a subscription to Ahrefs. They immediately scanned my website and gave me detailed metrics on everything I was doing right (and wrong).

I implemented their advice. I went back through ALL of my posts, and figured out what keyword I should be trying to target with them.

Over the course of a few months, this blew my traffic up by over 10x. I thought it was a pretty big deal... this was the big realization I had in Year 2.

I also decided to launch a new product; a product that had a full sales funnel, with multiple upsells, that was marketed really, really well.

So, I put in the work. I hustled and grinded, got some pictures taken (it was a fitness eBook), and did everything I could to make that son of a bitch good.

I wanted to "upgrade" some of my systems, so here's what I started doing, that led to such a big change in my business:
  • I started using Clickfunnels to create a PROPER sales funnel. Having upsells, downsells, and order bumps nearly tripled my blog's income overnight. It also allowed me to compare different order forms for conversion ratios, which was extremely useful.
  • I used 99Designs to design my eBook cover this time. While Fiverr was sufficient for the first one, I wanted to really look professional for this launch. It cost about $299 for the eBook cover as well as the upsells to get designed, but it was worth it.
On the opening day, I not only released it to my followers (by email, and by putting a button/announcement on my blog), but I also ran a sponsored post on an old blog I used to guest post on...

I hit nearly $2k the first day I launched it. I was absolutely shocked.

Of course, the revenue didn't sustain itself... but after that moment I was hooked. Never again would I work a regular job. I knew what was possible.

Sales dropped off over the next few months, as I began to focus more and more on SEO. I'd find the right keywords, write articles on them, get backlinks, and do everything I could to maximize my exposure via organic traffic.

Again, it was back to the drawing board. I didn't know how I could create a consistent income, and to be honest, this is still something I struggle with.

But, I did know one thing: I was hungry for more.

Part 5: Massive Growth (Year 3)
The past year, I've seen explosive growth.

I'm talking a 600% increase in my income.

Compared to 2017, 2018 was a completely different world...

And compared to 2018, this next year for me will be even better.

There were a few key things I did this year, that I think REALLY exploded my wealth, though... Here's the big ones:
  • Tripled down on my SEO efforts. I'm talking backlinks, long tail keywords, you name it. Razor-like precision with targeting certain keywords and articles.
  • I also launched two video courses priced at $497, which changed my life
  • I also re-did my previous products, with a professional copywriter, offering him a 15% cut of the sales. In retrospect, it was totally worth it.
My conversion ratios started going up, more and more people were buying my products, and I finally had somewhat of the funds to start really focusing on the big picture.

So, I re-did my very first eBook, added in a great $500 cover, changed the copy, and added some upsells. Now, the EPC is probably about 5x what it was before.

In addition to this, I also got WAY better at the email marketing game. Offering 48-hour flash sales, having an automated email sequence, doing holiday discounts...

Overall, 2018 was an amazing year for me, with many things learned.

BUT, I did F*ck up in a few key areas.

The first was budgeting.

I should have paid WAY more attention to my taxes and revenue, because near the end of 2018, I was actually pretty damn strapped for cash.

Regardless, overall, the year actually went pretty well.

Again, I attribute this to the three main things I mentioned before. The first, was drastically improving SEO...

A big mental shift for me was thinking about the KEYWORD INTENT.

Previously, I'd just been focusing on the numbers. I wanted more traffic, and I wanted it now.

But then I started to realize that getting 100 organic viewers a day, that are intent on buying a certain product, is FAR more powerful than getting 1,000 organic viewers a day, who just want some information, but don't want to pay for anything.

So I started honing in on SEO in that regard. I started getting more backlinks from friends in the blogging sphere, publishing guest posts, and more.

I also re-did my products completely, which was huge. I have my copywriter friend to thank for that... he completely re-wrote the sales pages, and although I think my design skills are lacking, overall it seems like he did a pretty damn good job.

Third, and arguably the most important, was launching VIDEO COURSES and learning how to do a proper pre-launch campaign.

The first course I launched absolutely KILLED IT... the second? Not so much.

Regardless, I learned so much from doing two proper product launches.

Typically, you'll want to follow this routine:
  • Pre-Launch: Hype up the product to your email list for at least a couple of weeks. Send them an email every other day, reminding them how awesome the product is, what it will include, how it will change their lives, etc.
  • Launch: Create scarcity. Launch it on a specific day/time.
  • Post-Launch: Find other email marketers to promote your products, and give them a commission so they stay happy. Rinse, wash, and repeat.
The post-launch might change depending on your goals, but I've found that re-marketing my courses to affiliates is a FAR better option... (especially when it has a 12% conversion ratio).

Either way, 2018 was huge for me... and 2019 will be even bigger.

The Biggest Lessons I Learned (Recap)
Overall, I think it's really important to stay focused.

So if you're just skimming this post, let me summarize for you.

Here's the biggest lessons that led to my success:
  • Focus on starting, and modeling other successful individuals. This is a concept I took from Tony Robbins. It just means you find what another successful person is doing, and you do that. It's working for them, so just shut up and try it yourself.
  • Get your sales funnel right. Learn how to capture cold traffic, build trust and turn them into warm traffic, and then turn that traffic into hot traffic.
  • Email marketing is key. Automate everything. Create an automation sequence, so that you don't have to do any work. Use the automation sequence to build trust and show them your products, so that it's all set on autopilot.
  • Have a variety of products. My cheapest product is $47 right now, which usually gets me a sale or two daily. Then there's the $297 and $497 products, which I can bang out for sales every now and then, to generate some quick revenue (AKA email my list that it's on sale). The cheap products allow you to have somewhat of a consistent income, and the more expensive ones you can pull out during key times to gain a spurt of sales.
  • Focus on SEO in the right way. In other words, ask what you want them to do. Don't just write about everything, razor focus on the things you feel will convert them.

So far, it's been an incredible journey. There's still months where my income is inconsistent, but that's one of my goals for 2019. So, speaking of which...

My Goals For 2019
Today is January 5th, 2019. It's about time I set up some goals.

Obviously I have my personal goals, which I won't go into here...

But for my business, there's just one thing I'd like to see: earning $15k/month CONSISTENTLY, in GROSS revenue.

That would probably be around $10k in NET revenue.

I've had plenty of months where I've earned $10k or even $15k, but it was never consistent. That's the main focus of this year... I want my WORST months to be $10k in gross revenue, and my BEST months to start hitting the $30k in gross revenue mark.

Here's how I plan to do that:
  • Consult with more experts. Period. I have three phone calls with three separate agencies this upcoming week. I also joined this forum to get your feedback and advice.
  • REALLY focus in on SEO. I'm going to become an expert at using Google Analytics, so I can understand exactly which articles are converting, exactly which traffic/demographics are converting, and how I should proceed accordingly.
  • Eventually transition over to Infusionsoft, which will allow me to specifically formulate email sequences for each type of subscriber. It's a huge upgrade from Aweber, that's for sure, but I think it's necessary as I continue to grow.
  • Focus on my YouTube presence. Improve my video editing. Put out videos 2-3x/week.
  • Start coaching more individuals (I use clarity.fm) for $200/hour.
Overall, 2018 was a great year, and I think that 2019 is going to be any better. I would be so grateful if any of the experienced internet marketers could reach out to me and offer me some advice...

Anyways, I hope you guys gained some insights from this post, and enjoyed what I have to write. It's about midnight here, so I think I'm running low (lol).

I wish you all the best, and hope you kill it at 2019!

Talk Soon,
-Jon Anthony

PS - Follow my journey thread here: EXECUTION - [Progress Thread] The Blogger's Lifestyle Journey

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
Looks solid. I'll be following along!

Have you done anything with paid ads?

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
Looks solid. I'll be following along!

Have you done anything with paid ads?
Thanks, man. I haven't done much with them yet, no.

I dabbled briefly with Facebook Ads, but wasn't successful, so I figure I need to link up with a professional if I really want to see some results.

I've thought about marketing one of my courses using a webinar to sales page funnel, but have yet to execute on that plan just yet.

Any thoughts?

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Incredible post. Thanks a lot for this. I just launched a copywriting and digital marketing website. So much is going on in my head about what needs to be done. But, I started at least.

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
Incredible post. Thanks a lot for this. I just launched a copywriting and digital marketing website. So much is going on in my head about what needs to be done. But, I started at least.
Nice! Any specific niche for copywriting? Are you going the route where you have an agency, and get some clients to pay you $1,000/month or something?

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Nice! Any specific niche for copywriting? Are you going the route where you have an agency, and get some clients to pay you $1,000/month or something?
That is exactly it. I am trying for an agency. I am offering SEO and Social Media Management on a subscription basis and the copywriting by single project. Or, it could be a subscription I guess. I am in the Wellness niche. Basically, supplement, health food, mental health/self-improvement brands/businesses. Even professionals like coaches, therapists, gurus, etc.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Welcome Jon,

Thanks for sharing the very valuable lessons you have learned. I can see at least a Notable tag coming. @Vigilante ??

I would say that even with the best SEO you can muster you are possibly leaving a lot of money on the table by not doing paid search. Having digital products with high margins means you have the capacity to pay for advertising and still remain profitable.

I have seen a lot of people in the past very adverse to paid traffic. I am sure that is not the case with yourself but having dabbled in it and not having had success maybe this has created a negative that is stopping you exploring this area again? Don't get me wrong SEO is great if you make it work (I used to do it for a living before the days of paid search engine traffic). However combining it with paid traffic may get you where you want to be much faster and with less effort.

We have a resident Google Ads specialist here who will be able to give you some excellent pointers I'm sure. @Andy Black

Also have you thought about expanding your affiliate partnerships?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What's up, guys. I just introduced myself about an hour ago, and figured I'd start right off by adding a ton of value upfront.

My name's Jon. I've been blogging and running a self-development website since 2016, and here's basically everything I've learned since I first started.

I made the website when I was around 20 years old, because I was fed up working $8/hour jobs, and always knew that I wanted something more than that.

I'd previously tried a bunch of different hustles online, and had some really good success trading the stock market, but wanted to try something new and get my feet wet.

Through a ton of failures and mistakes, I eventually had my first $15k month this year... I did about $10k through Stripe processing, another $3k through PayPal processing, and another $2k or so through coaching and affiliate advertising.

Income-1.png

Income-2.png

I knew absolutely NOTHING about SEO or blogging when I first started in 2016, and yet decided to pull the trigger. The best way to learn is through ACTION and EXECUTION.

So, without further ado... here's everything I learned in the past 3 years of blogging.

Well, that's technically not true... I did have one set up. But it wasn't an actual website-website. It was just a URL with an email capture, saying that I was "Launching Soon."

I guest posted on a couple of similar websites and got a small email list going, so that when I finally did make the blog live, with actual content, I'd have some people to show it to.

JUST. TAKE. ACTION.

If there's one thing I've learned from the past three years, it's that just taking action and TESTING things is always better than inaction.

• MailCheat(Chimp) to gather emails (free below a certain number of subscribers)

Once I launched, I started putting out content DAILY to gain a dedicated reader base. That's when I eventually hit my stride...

It didn't matter what I was writing about. I just wrote about things I thought was interesting. Anything in the self-development world, that I thought could help people.

I knew nothing of SEO. I knew nothing of sales funnels. I just wrote and wrote and wrote, hoping that somehow, something would magically happen.

Obviously, it didn't.

It wasn't until I started using Tony Robbins' concept of "Modeling" that I began to figure out the blogging game...

I realized that other companies were doing something called "affiliate advertising" and that it was working pretty well for them.

So, I opened up an affiliate advertising account with Amazon, and began putting little plugs to products I liked in some of my articles.

It was working alright, but not that well. I was getting maybe $30/month or so from the affiliate advertising, which to be fair, was more than I excepted.

Eventually however, I got fed up with my own sh*t, and just decided to take action.

So, I found a similar guy in my niche, and saw some of the products he was selling. I modeled one of them, used it to create my own unique product, and created the concept.

As a funny side note, I was actually driving Uber at the time to support myself, too. So I ended up making most of the product outline while I was waiting between calls.

There used to be this spot you could park near my city, where you'd still get paid to drive Uber hourly, but where nobody would request you to drive.

So I'd sit there, and for a couple of weeks, just brainstorm ideas on how to design and structure my eBook.

Eventually, I drafted everything. This was in addition to still writing almost daily, to keep my audience engaged.

That was it. I launched the eBook to my email list, slapped an ad for it on my website, and made over $100 my first day.

Sales dropped down to about $15/day (on average), which was still a hell of a lot better than when I started, but not nearly enough to sustain myself.

• Have a product. It doesn't matter what. Just have one. Unless your business is SOLELY designed around affiliate advertising, you NEED a product.
  • eBooks are a great first way to start. They cost almost nothing to create, and people will buy them if they trust you. They're also highly automated.

Part 3: New Product, and SEO (Year 2)

But then again, I'm sure I'll think the same of myself NOW in just a few months.

Either way, I felt lost.

I'd launched my eBook. Shouldn't millions of people buy it, and I can retire young?

So I wound up getting in touch with an old entrepreneur mentor who I'd met in college, and he told me one thing that would forever change my life: "Search Engine Optimization."

I had such a vague idea of what it was at the time, but looking back, I wish I would've heeded his advice WAY earlier.

Year 2 was primarily composed of me focusing on two things: improving SEO, and launching a new eBook, with better copy, and a sales funnel.

I took his advice to heart, and purchased a subscription to Ahrefs. They immediately scanned my website and gave me detailed metrics on everything I was doing right (and wrong).

I implemented their advice. I went back through ALL of my posts, and figured out what keyword I should be trying to target with them.

Over the course of a few months, this blew my traffic up by over 10x. I thought it was a pretty big deal... this was the big realization I had in Year 2.

I also decided to launch a new product; a product that had a full sales funnel, with multiple upsells, that was marketed really, really well.

So, I put in the work. I hustled and grinded, got some pictures taken (it was a fitness eBook), and did everything I could to make that son of a bitch good.

I wanted to "upgrade" some of my systems, so here's what I started doing, that led to such a big change in my business:
  • I started using Clickfunnels to create a PROPER sales funnel. Having upsells, downsells, and order bumps nearly tripled my blog's income overnight. It also allowed me to compare different order forms for conversion ratios, which was extremely useful.
  • I used 99Designs to design my eBook cover this time. While Fiverr was sufficient for the first one, I wanted to really look professional for this launch. It cost about $299 for the eBook cover as well as the upsells to get designed, but it was worth it.
On the opening day, I not only released it to my followers (by email, and by putting a button/announcement on my blog), but I also ran a sponsored post on an old blog I used to guest post on...

Of course, the revenue didn't sustain itself... but after that moment I was hooked. Never again would I work a regular job. I knew what was possible.

Sales dropped off over the next few months, as I began to focus more and more on SEO. I'd find the right keywords, write articles on them, get backlinks, and do everything I could to maximize my exposure via organic traffic.

Again, it was back to the drawing board. I didn't know how I could create a consistent income, and to be honest, this is still something I struggle with.

Part 4: Massive Growth (Year 3)

There were a few key things I did this year, that I think REALLY exploded my wealth, though... Here's the big ones:
  • Tripled down on my SEO efforts. I'm talking backlinks, long tail keywords, you name it. Razor-like precision with targeting certain keywords and articles.
  • I also re-did my previous products, with a professional copywriter, offering him a 15% cut of the sales. In retrospect, it was totally worth it.
My conversion ratios started going up, more and more people were buying my products, and I finally had somewhat of the funds to start really focusing on the big picture.

So, I re-did my very first eBook, added in a great $500 cover, changed the copy, and added some upsells. Now, the EPC is probably about 5x what it was before.

In addition to this, I also got WAY better at the email marketing game. Offering 48-hour flash sales, having an automated email sequence, doing holiday discounts...

BUT, I did f*ck up in a few key areas.

The first was budgeting.

I should have paid WAY more attention to my taxes and revenue, because near the end of 2018, I was actually pretty damn strapped for cash.

Again, I attribute this to the three main things I mentioned before. The first, was drastically improving SEO...

Previously, I'd just been focusing on the numbers. I wanted more traffic, and I wanted it now.

But then I started to realize that getting 100 organic viewers a day, that are intent on buying a certain product, is FAR more powerful than getting 1,000 organic viewers a day, who just want some information, but don't want to pay for anything.

So I started honing in on SEO in that regard. I started getting more backlinks from friends in the blogging sphere, publishing guest posts, and more.

I also re-did my products completely, which was huge. I have my copywriter friend to thank for that... he completely re-wrote the sales pages, and although I think my design skills are lacking, overall it seems like he did a pretty damn good job.

Third, and arguably the most important, was launching VIDEO COURSES and learning how to do a proper pre-launch campaign.

• Pre-Launch: Hype up the product to your email list for at least a couple of weeks. Send them an email every other day, reminding them how awesome the product is, what it will include, how it will change their lives, etc.
  • Post-Launch: Find other email marketers to promote your products, and give them a commission so they stay happy. Rinse, wash, and repeat.
The post-launch might change depending on your goals, but I've found that re-marketing my courses to affiliates is a FAR better option... (especially when it has a 12% conversion ratio).

• Focus on starting, and modeling other successful individuals. This is a concept I took from Tony Robbins. It just means you find what another successful person is doing, and you do that. It's working for them, so just shut up and try it yourself.
  • Get your sales funnel right. Learn how to capture cold traffic, build trust and turn them into warm traffic, and then turn that traffic into hot traffic.
  • Email marketing is key. Automate everything. Create an automation sequence, so that you don't have to do any work. Use the automation sequence to build trust and show them your products, so that it's all set on autopilot.
  • Have a variety of products. My cheapest product is $47 right now, which usually gets me a sale or two daily. Then there's the $297 and $497 products, which I can bang out for sales every now and then, to generate some quick revenue (AKA email my list that it's on sale). The cheap products allow you to have somewhat of a consistent income, and the more expensive ones you can pull out during key times to gain a spurt of sales.
  • Focus on SEO in the right way. In other words, ask what you want them to do. Don't just write about everything, razor focus on the things you feel will convert them.

So far, it's been an incredible journey. There's still months where my income is inconsistent, but that's one of my goals for 2019. So, speaking of which...

My Goals For 2019

But for my business, there's just one thing I'd like to see: earning $15k/month CONSISTENTLY, in GROSS revenue.

I've had plenty of months where I've earned $10k or even $15k, but it was never consistent. That's the main focus of this year... I want my WORST months to be $10k in gross revenue, and my BEST months to start hitting the $30k in gross revenue mark.

• Consult with more experts. Period. I have three phone calls with three separate agencies this upcoming week. I also joined this forum to get your feedback and advice.
  • REALLY focus in on SEO. I'm going to become an expert at using Google Analytics, so I can understand exactly which articles are converting, exactly which traffic/demographics are converting, and how I should proceed accordingly.
  • Eventually transition over to Infusionsoft, which will allow me to specifically formulate email sequences for each type of subscriber. It's a huge upgrade from Aweber, that's for sure, but I think it's necessary as I continue to grow.
  • Focus on my YouTube presence. Improve my video editing. Put out videos 2-3x/week.
Overall, 2018 was a great year, and I think that 2019 is going to be any better. I would be so grateful if any of the experienced internet marketers could reach out to me and offer me some advice...

Anyways, I hope you guys gained some insights from this post, and enjoyed what I have to write. It's about midnight here, so I think I'm running low (lol).

Talk Soon,
-Jon Anthony
Welcome.

You write well, not surprisingly.

You’re right about search intent. I like to think of people searching with either a cup of coffee in hand, or their credit card. Check out the AdWords posts thread linked to in my signature. This one in particular:

You could try Dynamic Search Ads (a way of creating Google Ads to show on the Google search engine) with a very low bid price and daily budget and see what search terms your content starts appearing for. It may surprise you. If you’ve got funnels that convert then maybe even let Google try to maximize conversions, and then look at the search terms.

You could also try sending info-seekers to a squeeze page and onto your warm up sequence, maybe with an offer on the thank you page to create a self-liquidating offer.

Well done on having video courses, and your cheaper eBook(s).

Do you have any recurring revenue? What do your audience/market sign up to and pay for monthly? Can you sell that?

Are you leveraging YouTube for visitors and for SEO? It makes sense to get video watchers to your channel and site if your main product is a video course.

Here’s a good podcast. The book was good too.

@Yoda has some success blogging, and there's a big blogging thread in here somewhere.

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015
Thanks Jon,

I just made a website of my own live the end of 2018. My long term goal is actually identical to yours, I'd like 10k / month after expenses and taxes.

I have a few questions maybe your answers can help other forum readers too.

I realized that to provide the quality of content I'd like to have, I will have to publish at a slower rate than I originally hoped, anywhere from once per week to once per month. I will find a faster more efficient research and writing method, just not there yet. (I also need to continue honing my time management).

How much content did you have before your traffic really took off?

Was content or marketing (social media, networking, guest writing) more important?

You said you wrote about whatever was on your mind, everyday. Did you have a clear website objective that each article revolved around, or did the daily writing create an unfocused blog at the beginning? (I'd like to stick to a very targeted mission statement, which I am still trying to articulate in a more clear concise way).

Are you still publishing daily? How many words on average?

Can you recommend any books that would be helpful to improve content quality and traffic?

I was planning to have 10-15 high quality pages published before working on a free ebook and before trying to network with social media and other blogs. Do you think that is a mistake, I thought having something of quality would be more trustworthy than just 2 or 3 posts? But you were able to get followers with zero content published?

Last edited:

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
Welcome Jon,

Thanks for sharing the very valuable lessons you have learned. I can see at least a Notable tag coming. @Vigilante ??

I would say that even with the best SEO you can muster you are possibly leaving a lot of money on the table by not doing paid search. Having digital products with high margins means you have the capacity to pay for advertising and still remain profitable.

I have seen a lot of people in the past very adverse to paid traffic. I am sure that is not the case with yourself but having dabbled in it and not having had success maybe this has created a negative that is stopping you exploring this area again? Don't get me wrong SEO is great if you make it work (I used to do it for a living before the days of paid search engine traffic). However combining it with paid traffic may get you where you want to be much faster and with less effort.

We have a resident Google Ads specialist here who will be able to give you some excellent pointers I'm sure. @Andy Black

Also have you thought about expanding your affiliate partnerships?
Thank you! I will be looking through Andy's posts and seeing what he says about paid traffic.

I have, yes. I do offer people a 50% cut if they want to promote my products. I calculate it all on my back end though, because Click Funnels doesn't have a way to do an affiliate program.

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
Welcome.

You write well, not surprisingly.

You’re right about search intent. I like to think of people searching with either a cup of coffee in hand, or their credit card. Check out the AdWords posts thread linked to in my signature. This one in particular:

You could try Dynamic Search Ads (a way of creating Google Ads to show on the Google search engine) with a very low bid price and daily budget and see what search terms your content starts appearing for. It may surprise you. If you’ve got funnels that convert then maybe even let Google try to maximize conversions, and then look at the search terms.

You could also try sending info-seekers to a squeeze page and onto your warm up sequence, maybe with an offer on the thank you page to create a self-liquidating offer.

Well done on having video courses, and your cheaper eBook(s).

Do you have any recurring revenue? What do your audience/market sign up to and pay for monthly? Can you sell that?

Are you leveraging YouTube for visitors and for SEO? It makes sense to get video watchers to your channel and site if your main product is a video course.

Here’s a good podcast. The book was good too.

@Yoda has some success blogging, and there's a big blogging thread in here somewhere.
Interesting, okay. I'll look into Dynamic Search Ads...

I've thought about having a squeeze page, but right now I simply have a blog, where they see content, and a screen filler lightbox email optin form comes up, with the lead magnet.

I tried to do some recurring revenue ($97/month) with my most recent product launch, for an INSIDERS's circle where I'd give advice in a chat room, but it undersold unfortunately.

I am not! That's one of my big goals for this year, is to leverage YouTube SEO and engagement...

I'll send you a PM, I'm looking forward to reading over your previous posts, man!

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
Thanks Jon,

I just made a website of my own live the end of 2018. My long term goal is actually identical to yours, I'd like 10k / month after expenses and taxes.

I have a few questions maybe your answers can help other forum readers too.

I realized that to provide the quality of content I'd like to have, I will have to publish at a slower rate than I originally hoped, anywhere from once per week to once per month. I will find a faster more efficient research and writing method, just not there yet. (I also need to continue honing my time management).

How much content did you have before your traffic really took off?

Was content or marketing (social media, networking, guest writing) more important?

You said you wrote about whatever was on your mind, everyday. Did you have a clear website objective that each article revolved around, or did the daily writing create an unfocused blog at the beginning? (I'd like to stick to a very targeted mission statement, which I am still trying to articulate in a more clear concise way).

Are you still publishing daily? How many words on average?

Can you recommend any books that would be helpful to improve content quality and traffic?

I was planning to have 10-15 high quality pages published before working on a free ebook and before trying to network with social media and other blogs. Do you think that is a mistake, I thought having something of quality would be more trustworthy than just 2 or 3 posts? But you were able to get followers with zero content published?
Content is the most important. Find some keywords in your niche and create "Ultimate Guides" around them, for the SEO value.

Then, try to get as many guest posts as you can linking back to them. That's what I would recommend you do.

Word count will change depending on the post, but at least 800-1200 is a good place to start. For longer SEO guides, up to 10,000 can sometimes be appropriate.

It was relatively unfocused at the beginning, although it's become far more focused over time.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Nice post. Seems like you've cracked the blogging code! Your trajectory and marketing skills are inspiring.

I was curious about a few things. One is "modeling." Would you say you're more inclined to look at someone who made a successful book about dog training, and make a new book about dog training? Or would you look at the book about dog training and model its best attributes for a book about, I dunno, cattle management or something? In other words, not the subject of the book you're modeling.

Personally, my preference would be the latter, especially if the market for the new subject is under-served (they don't have the great resources they probably wish they had). But curious in your case.

For courses, any thoughts toward developing something with the idea that people can pass on referrals or send groups of people over time? Something a business can sign its employees up for, for example, or that a non-profit can send people to for therapy or training? Or perhaps a course that is triggered by a known life event -- graduated highschool, signed up for the MCAT, having a baby, started coaching little league, just turned 40, etc. That way a fresh group populates your course each year.

That is, if you can fit that into a niche you're talking to. The reason I mention it is because the potential for recurring revenue goes up. As a result, maybe the same marketing efforts will result in sales that keep repeating themselves over time which is a powerful thing in business. Maybe you could capitalize more on your (frankly awesome) marketing efforts that way?

Watching with interest.

Silver Silk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
May 10, 2017
Birmingham

Income-1.png

Income-2.png

JUST. TAKE. ACTION.

Obviously, it didn't.

Eventually however, I got fed up with my own sh*t, and just decided to take action.

Either way, I felt lost.

The first was budgeting.

My Goals For 2019

Talk Soon,
-Jon Anthony

Fantastic, great to hear your story, I hope you have a overall brilliant 2019

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
Nice post. Seems like you've cracked the blogging code! Your trajectory and marketing skills are inspiring.

I was curious about a few things. One is "modeling." Would you say you're more inclined to look at someone who made a successful book about dog training, and make a new book about dog training? Or would you look at the book about dog training and model its best attributes for a book about, I dunno, cattle management or something? In other words, not the subject of the book you're modeling.

Personally, my preference would be the latter, especially if the market for the new subject is under-served (they don't have the great resources they probably wish they had). But curious in your case.

For courses, any thoughts toward developing something with the idea that people can pass on referrals or send groups of people over time? Something a business can sign its employees up for, for example, or that a non-profit can send people to for therapy or training? Or perhaps a course that is triggered by a known life event -- graduated highschool, signed up for the MCAT, having a baby, started coaching little league, just turned 40, etc. That way a fresh group populates your course each year.

That is, if you can fit that into a niche you're talking to. The reason I mention it is because the potential for recurring revenue goes up. As a result, maybe the same marketing efforts will result in sales that keep repeating themselves over time which is a powerful thing in business. Maybe you could capitalize more on your (frankly awesome) marketing efforts that way?

Watching with interest.
That's a really good question. I more model the aspects of it, rather than the specific content.

I never thought of that, but it's a really good idea. If I could make a course, and then get deals with certain businesses to train them on it, that would be a great B2B source of income...

Right now I can't think of a skill (at least in my courses) that I could teach to businesses. Maybe SEO? I wouldn't even know how to start contacting them or what price points to aim for, I'd have to do more research on that one.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Right now I can't think of a skill (at least in my courses) that I could teach to businesses. Maybe SEO? I wouldn't even know how to start contacting them or what price points to aim for, I'd have to do more research on that one.
  • Content marketing
  • Blogging
  • Email marketing
  • Video course creation
  • EBook creation
  • Marketing for publishing / info businesses
  • SEO
  • Etc.
Basically everything you’ve done and do that’s grown your audience and revenue is taught to people or businesses, and is provided as a DFY service.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I tried to do some recurring revenue ($97/month) with my most recent product launch, for an INSIDERS's circle where I'd give advice in a chat room, but it undersold unfortunately.
Keep testing.

I’ve a $5/mth paid email newsletter. It’s one of the simplest subscriptions I could think of.

What about products? Are there supplements you use / recommend?

What books do you read? What gym bag do you rave about? What meditation course did you take?

Do you have an article talking about yoga mats? Can you sell a yoga mat?

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
That's a really good question. I more model the aspects of it, rather than the specific content.

I never thought of that, but it's a really good idea. If I could make a course, and then get deals with certain businesses to train them on it, that would be a great B2B source of income...

A friend of mine sends every new manager he hires to a course on MS Excel. Flies them out of state for the course, plus pays $500+ tuition. Mind you, it goes into how to actually analyze data with Excel, deeper than using it to add up columns obviously.

HR departments have to show that they've trained people to not harass coworkers, show empathy, deal with stress from working in small boxes, etc. They also might want to show that they've offered employees personal development opportunities. There might be organizations or government departments that issue credits to the organizations or the individuals for this. Could be worth a look if you have personal development classes.

There are "continuing education" courses that professionals or people with certain credentials need (CPAs, etc). Markets can be competitive, but if you can keep the content high quality and costs fairly low, there's potential for scale. Sometimes you can adapt a class that's just "related" to the profession and get it approved for CE... state divisions of real estate licensing might approve anything from chosing paint colors to using empathic facial expressions.

Sales managers need their people to have certain skills. Cold email, persuasive writing, confidence, closing techniques, etc.

To contact businesses, network with some people and ask them who their managers, HR managers, or training directors are at the company. Call those people. Also do some inbound marketing if you've identified and validated a need, because those people are looking for courses to put their employees into. You can also catch people at conferences where they all gather.

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015
Content is the most important. Find some keywords in your niche and create "Ultimate Guides" around them, for the SEO value.

Then, try to get as many guest posts as you can linking back to them. That's what I would recommend you do.

Word count will change depending on the post, but at least 800-1200 is a good place to start. For longer SEO guides, up to 10,000 can sometimes be appropriate.

It was relatively unfocused at the beginning, although it's become far more focused over time.

Thanks. Your recommendation is similar to what I already was planning but offers a little more clarity. I'll keep to my plan then, which is to write high quality posts around specific evergreen topics.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Income-1.png

Income-2.png

JUST. TAKE. ACTION.

Obviously, it didn't.

Either way, I felt lost.

The first was budgeting.

My Goals For 2019

Talk Soon,
-Jon Anthony

Welcome to the forum, some really nice stuff here Jon! Just a couple of quick questions and a bit of advice for you as well.

I started using Clickfunnels to create a PROPER sales funnel.

Can you elaborate on this? It sounds like this was a major piece in the puzzle.

I should have paid WAY more attention to my taxes and revenue, because near the end of 2018, I was actually pretty damn strapped for cash

Been there... Open up an account whereby you make it much easier to pay in than out, cut up any cards they give you and only do telephone banking. Set up a dd, or just pay half your revenue into the account and hopefully you'll have more than you need for tax at the end of the year.

Focus on my YouTube presence. Improve my video editing. Put out videos 2-3x/week.

You should try using Lightworks, it is completely free video editing software, as long as you register your 7 day trial stays open indefinitely.

If you're more experienced then go for Blender, which is open source free software, however it is very powerful and very complicated so only use this if you've used NLE software before.

I've done a couple of tutorials on Lightworks if you're interested, and their site is ltwks.com

justacar

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
408%
Oct 27, 2018
I'd advise against infusionsoft. go with activecampaign instead. infusionsoft changed their business model and pricing structure. the one they have now is quite pricey.

HelpAndProsper

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 1, 2018
Boston
Congrats! A few years ago I had a site in the music industry that made me consistent cash through SEO and affiliate sales.

A Google algorithm change crushed that and my site never recovered.....

My advice would be to focus on treating your email list like a baby. Treat those people on the email list very well because if your site ever disappears or gets hammered by Google for some reason, you still have that list of people who trust you and your products.

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015
Congrats! A few years ago I had a site in the music industry that made me consistent cash through SEO and affiliate sales.

A Google algorithm change crushed that and my site never recovered.....

My advice would be to focus on treating your email list like a baby. Treat those people on the email list very well because if your site ever disappears or gets hammered by Google for some reason, you still have that list of people who trust you and your products.

Grant Cardone makes the case for being "omnipresent".... i.e. Be everywhere.

So building followers on all of the social media platforms, and having a YouTube page, and having a podcast, could float you if you had no google traffic.

NeatStranger

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Dec 28, 2018
Phoenix Arizona
Great post! You definitely provided a ton of value her and I will be reading over it several times to try and find something that I can directly apply to my situation.

Thank you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.