• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD Paid Advertising Crash Course

Discussion in 'Advertising, Marketing, Social Media' started by eliquid, Dec 30, 2015.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. eliquid

eliquid Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $20,051
    So Adwords is making some changes!

One example of a recent coming change is they are taking away 2 ad rotation options. Now instead of 4, you will only have 2.

Most of you won't care or even notice. However, for someone like me it shows that you should never rely on 1 advertising platform.

While this is common sense in other areas ( don't depend on just Google, don't depend on just Amazon, etc ), you need to make sure that you are pushing into other areas like Facebook Ads, Bing, etc.

While this is a very small change, things like this happen every 6 months or so with Adwords. Who knows, you might be doing something today that in 6 months from now is taken away on Adwords causing a dramatic shift in your process, flow, and revenue.

If I were you and I only had Adwords, I'd be pushing new testing within Bing, Facebook, Adroll, and a few other platforms to see if I could get them working.

2. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $39,702
    Which 2?

Andy Black likes this.
  3. johnp

johnp Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,128
    They are also are changing the entire UI.

It actually looks nice... I tried it but quickly reverted back.

Andy Black likes this.
  4. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $125,106
    The dumb one where it rotates evenly for 90 days then optimises.

5. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $125,106
    I think the new one looks awful. I couldn't switch back fast enough.

Give me a pseudo spreadsheet with columns I can scan down any day.

johnp likes this.
  6. eliquid

eliquid Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $20,051
    The only ones staying are
    “Optimize” and “Rotate Indefinitely”

Funny enough, they actually took away the “Rotate Indefinitely” option a few years ago and it was not available for a long time. They brought it back and now are taking these away.

See how that could disrupt your business if you relied on that setting before ( if you didn't manually watch them ) or if you relied on the ones being taken away now?

Magneto C and Andy Black like this.
  7. eliquid

Rep Bank:
    $20,051
    More importantly, this also IMPACTs people who use these options:

• OR use smart bidding strategies, such as Enhanced CPC, target CPA, or target ROAS bidding strategies.
    2. Campaigns using smart bidding strategies, such as Enhanced CPC, target CPA, or target ROAS bidding strategies, will always be set to “Optimize” their ad rotation, regardless of how they set their ad rotation settings.

I predict a lot of people will be impacted since using either the ad rotation or the bidding strategy above will have you impacted in some way.

8. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $125,106
    Yeah, they tried to take away the rotate indefinitely but I think too many people complained. Not like them to roll back a change if people complain though.

The 90 days one was super dumb. So your campaigns run with them rotating evenly. 90 days after you created the campaign they suddenly start showing only one of the ads, unbeknownst to you because you didn't put it in your calendar. Your metrics change and you can't figure out why. No thanks... I'd rather be in control.

eliquid likes this.
  9. stefan

stefan Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $320
    This is one of the most profound takeaways that I've ever seen on here. Thanks so much for the value you're sharing on here. I've copied this quote into OneNote, so that I can reference it regularly.

As someone who leverages SEO, I completely agree with you. Paid traffic is only going to become more and more important in the future. I'm about to start leveraging PPC as much as possible.

Here's another cool trick for anyone else who does SEO: Canonical content (secret paid traffic campaigns).

Basically, you can have a public, SEO-friendly version of a blog post on your website, and you can also have a canonical version of that same exact post that's optimized for paid traffic (with affiliate links / lead gen opportunities).

You can then use the WordPress plugin "WP Hide Post" to hide all of your paid traffic campaigns on your blog.

I know that some people do this to leverage SEO *and* paid traffic at the same time. This gives you a really clean (non-spammy) public appearance, while also enabling you to take advantage of running ads, and heavily monetizing your content.

Magneto C, Andy Black and eliquid like this.
  10. eliquid

Rep Bank:
    $20,051
    Glad you like it.

It really rings true. You can find some survivorship bias where someone is teaching that is a do'er but for 90% of the time what I said stands true.

There are some people that don't mind to share while being a do'er.

Good tip on the canonical content

11. SM Switi

SM Switi Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $439
    Thank you so much for sharing this

eliquid likes this.
  12. eliquid

Rep Bank:
    $20,051
    Google has decided to now quietly spend 2x more your budget, even though you set a limit, on high traffic days.

How you gonna budget now monthly? If you have high traffic early in month, you could have $0 at the end to spend

Charges and your daily budget - Previous - AdWords Help

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  13. Azure

Azure Perpetual Motion Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,761
    I have a feeling that this is the beginning of the end for accelerated ad delivery and Google is essentially forcing us to get rid of its use.

There are also rules you can use to limit your spend. Check spend every hour and pause if spend is to high. A bit of a patchy work around, as you could still overdeliver in the hour.

eliquid likes this.
  14. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $125,106
    Yeah, thanks Google.

eliquid likes this.
  15. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $125,106
    I share, but only so much. (It's enough for other doers to get a lot of value from tbh.)

In the case as AdWords skills, I'd rather use my shovel than sell shovels.

eliquid and Magneto C like this.
  16. GabrielDC

GabrielDC New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $23
    Thanks for this post, I learned a lot!

eliquid likes this.
  17. Jamshed33

Jamshed33 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $31
    Thanks for sharing. lol

18. AdamMaxum

AdamMaxum a worthy successor indeed Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,654
    I agree with all of this, but we know that even if you laid this entire plan out in front of a client, they still wouldn't budge enough to run an unlimited budget campaign for a month, especially in legal. They would need to spend 5-10k a month at least depending on practice areas.

So the real question is, what do you do with clients who have lower set budgets and you know they can't afford a real campaign? Unless you're willing to turn down a new client/sale, you set them up, make them aware of their situation and hope they come to their senses at some point or they cancel because they aren't getting the results they expected even though you told them so.

Magneto C likes this.
  19. eliquid

Rep Bank:
    $20,051
    I turn them down.
    • I don't like being on a losing team. If I know it won't work, I don't touch it. Losing teams mean at some point down the road the relationship will end. I like having happy and long-term clients, not clients that ask why something isn't working and end up unhappy and possibly leave a bad review of me or my agency somewhere online because they "don't get it"

• No one likes to admit their wrong. Because of this, most people don't come to their senses. Waiting for others to do so.. even when I know they won't.. is just a waste of ( my ) time.

• If they don't have the money to properly set up stuff, they prob. have money problems elsewhere that will cause delays, setbacks, problems with resources, etc in other areas like their fulfillment, call center, landing page, etc which ultimately create issues for you managing their PPC.

• I'm not going to step over dollars, trying to pick up nickels if I can help it

• If they don't have the proper setup, they just aren't ready for me to manage their campaign. They might be ready for a junior and the results a junior can provide. "When the student is ready, the master appears".

Seebs10, GabrielDC, AdamMaxum and 3 others like this.