The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Read Millionaire Fastlane
May 29, 2013
Louisville - Kentucky
www.serpwoo.com
eliquid - Love this post, I have a question regarding pay per view and showing your ads on competitor websites by targeting the thank you pages or other pages, does this still work now?
it can.

depends on platform and what you are doing

Boo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 6, 2018
@eliquid I've been following your posts since early Wickedfire days, as well as Eli, Pasha and a few other OG's. You guys have had a huge influence on my success over the years, which has been primarily through SEO with limited PPC.

My question is regarding ad grouping. At the moment I'm using BMM or Phrase in an ad groups to "farm" or "mine" keywords and then move those best performing keywords quickly into their own ad groups as exact match so that I can customize the landing page or ad for them.

In your podcast (episode 19) you mentioned that you were reluctant to do this because it resets QS and therefore could be detrimental. Am I understanding this correctly and how do you feel about this farming and best performers ad group setup?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 29, 2013
Louisville - Kentucky
www.serpwoo.com
It's something I use to do.

However, depending on setup and size.. you're basically moving a keyword from one adgroup to another ( or campaign ). Even if it wasn't a direct keyword ( farming and mining ), you are still negative matching it out of the original, and putting it into a new group/campaign.

The idea is that it could be problematic for you.

I've had setups where I found a winning keyword after months of farming/mining. The keyword had multiple conversions and was doing well.

I negative match it out and put it in it's own adgroup/campaign with the same ads, bid, and positioning and it does horrible for the next 5 weeks until I pause it.

I go back and remove the negative match and it's doing fine back in the original setup.

To me, it's pretty clear cut that could hurt you based on that.

You might not ever experience that though. You should try and see and find out where you come out at.

I no longer do this method with my higher end accounts that are critical. However, it could be something I try again with a lower end account in the future.

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
www.andyblack.net
It's something I use to do.

However, depending on setup and size.. you're basically moving a keyword from one adgroup to another ( or campaign ). Even if it wasn't a direct keyword ( farming and mining ), you are still negative matching it out of the original, and putting it into a new group/campaign.

The idea is that it could be problematic for you.

I've had setups where I found a winning keyword after months of farming/mining. The keyword had multiple conversions and was doing well.

I negative match it out and put it in it's own adgroup/campaign with the same ads, bid, and positioning and it does horrible for the next 5 weeks until I pause it.

I go back and remove the negative match and it's doing fine back in the original setup.

To me, it's pretty clear cut that could hurt you based on that.

You might not ever experience that though. You should try and see and find out where you come out at.

I no longer do this method with my higher end accounts that are critical. However, it could be something I try again with a lower end account in the future.

Yeah. I’ve seen that too.

I’ve also seen campaigns not working in a brand new account (low QS), but working when we export/import into an aged account.

For newer accounts I’ll usually create brand new campaigns when I restructure, and pause the old ones. That way I have a fallback position if the new ones perform worse.

SamRussell

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2018
Dude this was awesome.

I've taken a few FB ads courses and they don't talk about half the stuff you do here.

I'm getting good price leads on Facebook Ads... but I just went into my audiences and did some editing based on your ideas... I found some countries and age brackets to be 3x the price of the cheapest... so I removed them.

It's going to be interesting to see how my ads perform this week...! Thanks.

SamRussell

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2018
@SamRussell - Wondering how it has been.

Any updates?
Thanks for following up eliquid.

Yeah - overall, my cost per opt in has decreased, which is great. This, combined with reading a copywriting book recommended on another thread, has made my campaign come close to breaking even / possibly making a small profit.

The next edit to make to my targeting is to look at geographical data. I didn't want to edit demographics and geography at the same time. It's been a little while since I edited the demographics, so the geographic data has had some time to build up.

Part of my sales funnel is a survey to people to don't buy, so the survey combined with this stuff... I think another month or two of testing and I'll be in a position to start thinking about scaling my campaign up.

I'm adding a guitar lessons membership to my offer... which, in theory, will make breaking even / profiting on my ad spend a LOT easier (and gives me a nice recurring income product I'll be promoting in addition to the music)

Danny01

Contributor
Jan 20, 2019
Can someone link me to a sample of a good landing page preferably with Just mobile telephone number, a request-for-call-back form and maybe an address

UnrealCreative

It's Only The Beginning.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2016
San Juan
I approached the sites and offered to pay them based on CPM to place my PIXEL on their site.

Yeah, a pixel.

No ads cluttering up their site, no competitor telling me no, and no split testing to find a CTA.

I simply told them I would pay them $2 per 1,000 impressions that my pixel triggered from their site. My pixel was just a piece of Javascript that sat on their page just like any ol Google Analytics pixel would.

Uh?

This wasn't just any pixel, it was a remarketing pixel.
@eliquid curious about adding a tracking pixel to other's sites...
Has GDPR / other privacy laws hindered your ability to use this method?

The plan is to remarket with display ads + build a FB lookalike audience from people who view a page on niche sites -- specifically service directories.

(Pinging @Tom.V this is what I told you about earlier)

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 29, 2013
Louisville - Kentucky
www.serpwoo.com
This is a old method. I haven't used it since all the new privacy laws, so I couldn't really give info on it pertaining to it.

Last time I had to use this method was years ago.

It shouldn't hinder things though. Everyone has a privacy policy and terms of use page now that should cover this. I see no real difference in this and an affiliate pixel that collects retargeting information.

FORUM SPONSOR

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Post thread…

Search the Forum

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.