• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD Paid Advertising Crash Course

Discussion in 'Advertising, Marketing, Social Media' started by eliquid, Dec 30, 2015.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. The-J

The-J Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $10,596
    I don't do CTW anymore. Conversions from the getgo. I'm convinced that it's the only way to get direct results from FB. (Or whatever your goal is: messenger destination if that's your goal, PPE if that's your goal)

I had to tell a client that, before I came on, they wasted $6000 on garbage CTW traffic by looking at the analytics (avg time in site from FB was less than a second). That hurt. Their CPC was $.25, too.

I've seen PPE outperform WC, but it doesn't happen often.

Rep+

2. AdamMaxum

AdamMaxum a worthy successor indeed Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,679
    I think this is basically what I was getting at with my original question on FB ads. With so many different nuances between the types of ads you can run on Facebook, how is anyone supposed to know which campaign type is going to yield the best results/return without testing each one and then testing various ads within each one. You end up spending money testing all the various campaign types and individual ad campaigns just to see if it's resulting in the actions you want users to take. Hundreds of dollars gone easily.

eliquid and Magneto C like this.
  3. The-J

The-J Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $10,596
    That's how FB makes bank: from noobs who don't have the experience to know what will actually work for them.

By starting with a clear business objective, you will save thousands of dollars right off the bat. Make FB's optimization work in line with your business objective and it will do its best based on the ridiculous amount of data it has.

Other than that... it's all trial and error. But it's not a waste.

eliquid and Magneto C like this.
  4. AdamMaxum

AdamMaxum a worthy successor indeed Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,679
    Yeah, true. I guess that's why there are all those FB courses you can take. I will stick to clear objectives and run traffic direct to my sites. Sounds like best course of action in most cases.

Some things you don't really know though unless you research and read other people's experiences with FB ads. Like, how is someone to supposed to know that if you run like campaigns and increase your likes/exposure by 100 people that those 100 people won't equate to any sales or activity within your business model? What about the effects of someone seeing your FB page and saying okay they have some likes and activity, maybe I do trust them a little more. Maybe I will visit them or buy from them now based on the social activity/comments/likes. Or when you have X likes on a page or FB group and post a link in them are people clicking over to the site/link?

eliquid likes this.
  5. eliquid

eliquid Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $24,638
    The thing about courses that I hate is, a lot of times you have no clue when they were made. Also, 95% of the time they just cover the basics like how to make your ad ( directly in the system, not the psychology behind it ), where to grab your pixel, etc. You know, the stuff FB already shows you for free.

When you combine both of those together, 95% of the time you end up with a course you paid for that you would have learned the same thing for free from FB. On top of that, the course was made 3-5 years ago and most of those basic screenshots no longer even apply.

Finding an up-to-date/new course that teaches you more than FB already does is the trick.

What you speak about here is a very very very common problem in marketing. It's called attribution. Some of the brightest minds in the world have tried to tackle it. Most of their solutions work "somewhat ok". Your direct example above is sorta like the old question that use to be, "how do I know how many of my web viewers saw my ad on Adwords, clicked, researched and didn't buy, but physically came into my store last week and purchased offline?"

See above.

Well, I think I know what you are asking here. For this you would easily add a variable on the end of your URL and track how many times that variable came up in your analytics.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    AdamMaxum and Magneto C like this.
  6. eliquid

eliquid Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $24,638
    Wanna chat a bit 1x1 with me personally about paid advertising?

I'll be speaking at the 2018 FLF event in Scottsdale.

Specifically, I'll be talking about SaaS at the event, but I'll be around to talk to people about other stuff like paid advertising.

If you want to meetup during the event ( or slightly before/after ), this is your notice to attend the event and make contact with me.

Meetup - 2018 Fastlane Summit - Confirmed Speaker List

Magneto C and Kingmaker like this.
  7. MisterBHZ

MisterBHZ Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,662
    Something I want to point out with using video & image ads on FB.

With video ads, when people click the video (not the button), FB sends them to your site but with the video at the top of the page. The user will have to scroll down to see the actual site.

For me, this isnt 45fg2good because it leads to high bounce rates with people clicking off in a couple seconds. I'm assuming this is happening because people are sent back to the video they just clicked with my site below it. And, they aren't scrolling down past the video but yet I still get charged for someone clicking to my site.

With image ads, when people click the image (not the button), FB sends them to the full site with nothing at the top. I have much lower bounce rates & people actually stay on my site for much longer.

This is something that I've noticed for awhile & wanted to share with those that may not have noticed when using FB ads.

Magneto C and eliquid like this.
  8. NH 2 Chicity

NH 2 Chicity New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $27
    Google doesn't mess around.

This is an awesome thread. Thank you for all the info and value provided. I took detailed notes so I could validate an e-comm idea.

Built the site, listed the product, built two rudimentary ads for Adwords and two for Facebook.

Both were driving minimal traffic in the first 24 hours. I expected this and just wanted to play around with things.

Well, 24 hours into Adwords, my account is suspended. "Your account is suspended, we've detected suspicious payments in your account" I fill out an appeal and they reply back within an hour saying I'm in violation of their terms. No further info is provided.

The only violation I can think off is my copy was a bit off so maybe that caused the flag. Technically it could fall under a "misrepresentation" which they appear to take very serious.

I'm writing to share so others that rip through here don't repeat my hasty mistake. Go fast, but double check and read the TOS so you dont make rookie mistakes.

Spanked but not down and out!

Andy Black likes this.
  9. eliquid

Rep Bank:
    $24,638
    Yeah, I've noticed Facebook doing this a lot recently too.

A client that I was helping recently got their new FB account banned. So I set up a second one for him, also banned.

We set up a third and got it running and just bill him under my card now.

He wasn't doing anything wrong or shady. All of his ads were good. His card for payments was good.

Facebook wouldnt give us any clue why. We filled out the form to provide ID too for him.

Sometimes it these platforms get nervous and tripped up on some filter.

10. eliquid

Rep Bank:
    $24,638
    Wanted to drop this nugget for anyone looking to get a bit more out of their campaigns. I touched on this a little before, but I wanted to bring it back up.

People tend to buy from companies they know, trust, and have heard about.

Purchasing ads on Google, having customers hit your landing page, and then running ads on Facebook to them later can be a wonderful way to help build your brand and influence purchasing decisions.

Here's how it would work:
    • Set up Adwords remarketing pixel/conversion pixel and FB pixel on your landing page.
    • Ran Adwords ads to your site
    • Those people that do not buy/convert and bounce get pixeled by FB ( as well as Adwords )
    • You run FB ads to those people who didn't convert ( it's a custom audience )

These people have already heard of you and some interaction with you.

Will this cause them to directly buy? No, but it will help influence them if you do your FB ads right, like addresses their fears/concerns/reasons for not buying from you to begin with.

The same is true the other way around too:
    • Purchase ads on FB running to your demo
    • They hit your landing page and get pixeled by Adwords. Some purchase, several others do not
    • You run campaigns on Adwords remarketing to those that didn't purchase ( display or RLSA )
    You're always hitting these people up and addressing the issues why they didn't sign up.

Back this up with email on other networks like AdRoll.

Will you always know their reason from not buying from you? Not directly most of the times.

Maybe you have a list of people that hit the page, added their item to cart, and then never purchased. Maybe price was a concern for them. Maybe it was the shipping times ( long wait ). Maybe it was because you didn't offer free shipping.

Your remarketing ads should address those to that audience.

For other people, you won't really know. But you can start writing down what COULD BE the reason and act smart about it.

How?

Ok, some people will just be tire kickers, time wasters, bots, and bad traffic. You can weed those people out by simply not having your pixels ( from Adwords and Facebook ) not fire when the page loads, but 10 seconds after the page loads.

You'll need some Javascript mastery to pull that off, but by not firing until 10 seconds you prevent all these bots and bad traffic from ever getting into your lists.

Everyone else that has stayed on more then 10 seconds, you know you have someone that is interested and reading, or engaging.

From that point you need to determine if most of the people are scrolling down, clicking other pages, looking at other items, etc. This can be determined with Analytics tools and heatmaps. This info can help you come up with what COULD BE the reasons other people are not buying and you can start working those into your campaigns at FB and Adwords ( and maybe email too ).

Seebs10, Magneto C, Azure and 2 others like this.
  11. eliquid

Rep Bank:
    $24,638
    Anyone got any questions out there yet?

I'm wanting to prep for my presentation at the event in Feb. Your questions here could help me prep out there

Andy Black and Magneto C like this.
  12. MisterBHZ

MisterBHZ Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,662
    Could low budgets on FB (ex. $10/day) be the reason holding people back from generating sales?

13. eliquid

Rep Bank:
    $24,638
    It depends honestly.

If it's a new campaign with no history/metrics, yes. Especially if you are using Google or FB to optimize to a conversion. They have nothing to work with, and thus, need to spend money and get data before they can work their magic on your pixel.

They are going to have to spend money and get a history first. At $10 a day, that might take a long time until statistical relevance.

Magneto C likes this.