The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I stopped reading the FLF.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
Hi guys,
this is not going to be a rant against this forum, or MJ, or anyone. It's just a short update on my progress and why I stopped reading this very forum.

A little bit more than a year ago (8/16/2014), I discovered this forum through the Bold and Determined forum. As many of the participants that come and go, I wrote my Introduction where I even discuss about a so-called Epiphany, and I started a progress thread somewhere.
The main objective was to fulfill a dream of mine, which is writing and publishing a book. I spent hours researching, reading this forum, and trying to write my first book. I did it, I wrote and published a short book, that actually did better than I thought, but very far from allowing me to make a living.

Then I decided to take one step further, and I decided to subscribe to the INSIDERS Section, I think I did the three months subscription, and read all of it. ALL-OF-IT. I became obsessed with the forum.

Yet, I was absolutely clueless on what to do next.

Then one day I realized that writing the book was just a dream, I was not producing any real value. I was looking for a shortcut. Worse, I probably spent more time on the forum rather than writing my stuff.

It took me a while, but I envisioned myself as a guy standing in front of a gold mine, listening to all the miners that come out explaining what you have to do in order to get to the gold, and listening to all the possible ways to get to it. Yet, I never ventured into the cave myself. I just pretended to.

You know, most of it it's here, in the non-INSIDERS Section. But let me tell you, the INSIDERS's is like the missing key. I am not advertising it, as I am saying the opposite. By reading what is in there I realized that I had all the information that I needed, and that I HAD to think outside of the box, and STOP reading about it.

Therefore I thought the following:
- Although I am an immigrant, I know US and State politics VERY well.
- I work in government, which sucks but it allows me to get to a unique perspective and knowledge
- I have interesting things to say, and a pretty decent general knowledge.
- I will not write or read FLF until I implement the first steps and I find a product that could be a vehicle to bring some value to the world. It doesn't matter if the product will make me rich or poor.

I decided to do what the INSIDERS are saying: ACT, and in order to ACT I had to find what was the problem, and after a little bit of research, I understood.

First Problem: I had no credibility.
Solution: Act on it.

Generating the plan of action was easy, implementing it a little bit more difficult. I needed to network, and find people that could push me in the right direction. After some initial stumbles, timing was on my side. Municipal elections were rolling in, and the local politics machine kicked in gear.

I went to a political meeting, and guess what? To my surprise my accent became a vehicle to start conversations. Ladies loved it, men asked me about Europe and stuff. Not even two meetings later, I was talking in a restaurant to one of the leading Texas politicians that work behind the scenes. Want to call governor Abbott? here's the phone #. Want to talk to Chuck Norris? Oh, he was in town tomorrow (I missed him!!!). More importantly, this guy spent an hour telling me many things, explaining the hows and who's. He just wanted to talk, he explained how it was difficult to be a young intern at the Nixon White House, and how many crazy things he saw in the US Congress. But he gave me many pointers that I wrote down as soon as I got home (in his opinion the most important pointer is: "Take notes. wherever you go, whenever you meet someone, take notes. and if necessary take notes on your notes.")

Now, accessibility is fine, but it's far from being important. Without me even realizing he was testing me.

At a different meeting a month later I saw him, next to the (now) mayor, a couple of senators, councilmen, and other politicians. As soon as the guy saw me, he interrupted his conversation and yelled : "Hey [my name!], come here I want you to meet someone!". He made me greet those people, that instantly thought I was someone working behind the scene. He was even able to remember everything I told him. In their eyes I had some (minor) credibility, and more important all the other people around them looked at me as I was someone known for something. I was (and I am) a nobody, yet this guy saw something. Fast forward a few months later, and by showing up (as Woody Allen would say), acting, and preparing, I am well known around the area. Still a nobody, don't get me wrong. I am not bragging. But it's a big step up for someone who spent ten years alone in a lab.
Now, I had to make tactical choices, here they are:

- Stop reading FLF. The amount of information here is incredible, the INSIDERS section is a MUST (at least once), but FLF won't feed me. It's not made to feed me. Stop, and act. Then come back.

- Use social media to my advantage. I created a FB profile, very professional. I (social) networked with all the "big guys", and to my surprise after a while THEY were asking me their friendship. My LinkedIn is as pure and complete as it could be. I use twitter and Instagram once in a while, mostly to show that I am active.

- Stop reading fiction books, begin reading serious stuff. I began reading many non-fiction books, there's another thread on that somewhere.

- Stop listening to music (well, reduce it). Boring stuff to do at work? Podcasts, audiobook, or youtube seminars. Commute? Audiobook.

- Network, network, network. Go to events. Show up.

- Be myself.

Now, a few weeks ago I did not have a product. I had no idea of what product I could offer. By chance, and thanks to an online conversation, I think I got it.

- Am I an expert on the Subject? yes.
- Have I lived through it? yes.
- Have I asked for opinions? yes.
- Am I credible? yes.

I don't know if the product will sell; it starts with a blog that is up and running now but it has just little content. Yet, I am obsessed with it. And I am back on FLF to get to the next step.
The game is on.

Oh and by the way... the other night there was a big reception with governor, senators, 9/11 survivors, and all the usual guys you would expect to find at that kind of reception (millionaires).

The old guy I told you about received a lifetime award. During his speech he thanked his wife,his kids, a couple of friends and... guess who? Me. Why? For being a conservative immigrant that decided to be active in his adoptive country.

Guess what? Two minutes later I was surrounded by people wanting to meet me. Again, this is far from success. I am not successful. I am just saying that by acting - and maybe even stopping reading FLF - opportunities may arise.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

GMJimmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Oct 19, 2015
There needs to be a balance between learning and action.

To me it goes in cycle:
1st: I get to know new things, learn techniques, tips.
2nd: it needs to consolidate and I start implementing those in action.
3rd: master those new skills until those get daily routine

Then repeat when I reach a plateau and starving for further improvement.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
Yup. Learning too much at once can just overwhelm you and also dilute what actually becomes absorbed. I struggled with this when I first started posting here. I learned a BUNCH of things, then realized I was overwhelmed with everything I had rattling around in my mind and it caused me delay on a lot of things. I found the best way to learn & act is pretty much the way MJ did it -- learn what you need to, when you need to.

There was some study I read a year or two ago that showed how Googling everything is, while convenient, actually can have the opposite effect of learning.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Stop reading FLF. The amount of information here is incredible, the INSIDERS section is a MUST (at least once), but FLF won't feed me. It's not made to feed me. Stop, and act. Then come back.
Yep. The people that get the most out of these forums are people that are taking action. On top of that, many of the doers network with other doers. It just works out that way.

G

GuestUser450

I think this is the last place someone could hang out and feel satisfied. Places that post nonstop success stories with big, unverified numbers, yeah that's mental masturbation. But here, it's agitative.

There's not much that makes me more irritable, more annoyed at my current day-to-day than reading these threads and seeing people build something from nothing. The gold threads are anti-success stories, they're constructive walkthroughs. It makes me feel competitive, not voyeuristic.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I think this is the last place someone could hang out and feel satisfied. Places that post nonstop success stories with big, unverified numbers, yeah that's mental masturbation. But here, it's agitative.

There's not much that makes me more irritable, more annoyed at my current day-to-day than reading these threads and seeing people build something from nothing. The gold threads are anti-success stories, they're constructive walkthroughs. It makes me feel competitive, not voyeuristic.
If I understand you correctly, you don't like to read about others and their success stories.

I have been on this forum since the beginning. I already had "made it" in my opinion. Since then, I have had extreme ups and downs and have watched others do the same. I have met people that had nothing to speak of and witnessed as they went through the process. It was fun and exhilarating to say the least.

I love your avatar btw... Being "set free" is a state of mind! That happened to me during a period where I had lost millions of dollars and had nothing left. The state of mind was realized that my enjoyment of life is not tied to money.

G

GuestUser450

you don't like to read about others and their success stories
Stories with grit and process, absolutely, even more if they're massive in scale.

What I failed at saying was that the fluff pieces on podcasts and personal finance sections of major sites, they can give the fake feeling of learning, absorbing or being a part of it, whereas FLF is definitely not that.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi guys,
this is not going to be a rant against this forum, or MJ, or anyone. It's just a short update on my progress and why I stopped reading this very forum.

A little bit more than a year ago (8/16/2014), I discovered this forum through the Bold and Determined forum. As many of the participants that come and go, I wrote my Introduction where I even discuss about a so-called Epiphany, and I started a progress thread somewhere.
The main objective was to fulfill a dream of mine, which is writing and publishing a book. I spent hours researching, reading this forum, and trying to write my first book. I did it, I wrote and published a short book, that actually did better than I thought, but very far from allowing me to make a living.

Then I decided to take one step further, and I decided to subscribe to the INSIDERS Section, I think I did the three months subscription, and read all of it. ALL-OF-IT. I became obsessed with the forum.

Then one day I realized that writing the book was just a dream, I was not producing any real value. I was looking for a shortcut. Worse, I probably spent more time on the forum rather than writing my stuff.

It took me a while, but I envisioned myself as a guy standing in front of a gold mine, listening to all the miners that come out explaining what you have to do in order to get to the gold, and listening to all the possible ways to get to it. Yet, I never ventured into the cave myself. I just pretended to.

You know, most of it it's here, in the non-INSIDERS Section. But let me tell you, the INSIDERS's is like the missing key. I am not advertising it, as I am saying the opposite. By reading what is in there I realized that I had all the information that I needed, and that I HAD to think outside of the box, and STOP reading about it.

- I work in government, which sucks but it allows me to get to a unique perspective and knowledge
- I will not write or read FLF until I implement the first steps and I find a product that could be a vehicle to bring some value to the world. It doesn't matter if the product will make me rich or poor.

I decided to do what the INSIDERS are saying: ACT, and in order to ACT I had to find what was the problem, and after a little bit of research, I understood.

Generating the plan of action was easy, implementing it a little bit more difficult. I needed to network, and find people that could push me in the right direction. After some initial stumbles, timing was on my side. Municipal elections were rolling in, and the local politics machine kicked in gear.

I went to a political meeting, and guess what? To my surprise my accent became a vehicle to start conversations. Ladies loved it, men asked me about Europe and stuff. Not even two meetings later, I was talking in a restaurant to one of the leading Texas politicians that work behind the scenes. Want to call governor Abbott? here's the phone #. Want to talk to Chuck Norris? Oh, he was in town tomorrow (I missed him!!!). More importantly, this guy spent an hour telling me many things, explaining the hows and who's. He just wanted to talk, he explained how it was difficult to be a young intern at the Nixon White House, and how many crazy things he saw in the US Congress. But he gave me many pointers that I wrote down as soon as I got home (in his opinion the most important pointer is: "Take notes. wherever you go, whenever you meet someone, take notes. and if necessary take notes on your notes.")

Now, accessibility is fine, but it's far from being important. Without me even realizing he was testing me.

At a different meeting a month later I saw him, next to the (now) mayor, a couple of senators, councilmen, and other politicians. As soon as the guy saw me, he interrupted his conversation and yelled : "Hey [my name!], come here I want you to meet someone!". He made me greet those people, that instantly thought I was someone working behind the scene. He was even able to remember everything I told him. In their eyes I had some (minor) credibility, and more important all the other people around them looked at me as I was someone known for something. I was (and I am) a nobody, yet this guy saw something. Fast forward a few months later, and by showing up (as Woody Allen would say), acting, and preparing, I am well known around the area. Still a nobody, don't get me wrong. I am not bragging. But it's a big step up for someone who spent ten years alone in a lab.

- Stop reading FLF. The amount of information here is incredible, the INSIDERS section is a MUST (at least once), but FLF won't feed me. It's not made to feed me. Stop, and act. Then come back.

- Use social media to my advantage. I created a FB profile, very professional. I (social) networked with all the "big guys", and to my surprise after a while THEY were asking me their friendship. My LinkedIn is as pure and complete as it could be. I use twitter and Instagram once in a while, mostly to show that I am active.

- Stop reading fiction books, begin reading serious stuff. I began reading many non-fiction books, there's another thread on that somewhere.

- Stop listening to music (well, reduce it). Boring stuff to do at work? Podcasts, audiobook, or youtube seminars. Commute? Audiobook.

- Be myself.

Now, a few weeks ago I did not have a product. I had no idea of what product I could offer. By chance, and thanks to an online conversation, I think I got it.

- Am I credible? yes.

I don't know if the product will sell; it starts with a blog that is up and running now but it has just little content. Yet, I am obsessed with it. And I am back on FLF to get to the next step.
The game is on.

Oh and by the way... the other night there was a big reception with governor, senators, 9/11 survivors, and all the usual guys you would expect to find at that kind of reception (millionaires).

The old guy I told you about received a lifetime award. During his speech he thanked his wife,his kids, a couple of friends and... guess who? Me. Why? For being a conservative immigrant that decided to be active in his adoptive country.

Guess what? Two minutes later I was surrounded by people wanting to meet me. Again, this is far from success. I am not successful. I am just saying that by acting - and maybe even stopping reading FLF - opportunities may arise.
I LOVE this story. Go out. Meet people. Be yourself. Help them. Have no expectation of a return on your "giving". Results follow.

I suspect you will alternate between consuming and producing here. As someone mentioned, it goes in cycles. Sometimes I don't read or listen to podcasts for weeks/months (other than the forum) then suddenly find a new book or podcast, and it helps me through the new place I am in.

Personally, I find writing in here clarifies my thoughts and helps me a lot. I try to help my past self, the me a day, week, month, or year ago. By helping them, I create my new level from which I can move ever upwards and forwards.

And yeah, the doers stand out and do start networking automatically. That's just natural.

Very inspiring story. Thanks for sharing. Love the miner analogy.

Nicko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Oct 14, 2015
Australia
I understand what you're saying as I used to do the same thing with real estate investment (read / listen /repeat - read / listen / repeat) with very little actual action taken.

So I set myself a simple rule back then that also applies to the MFL forum. I don't visit the forum until I have taken some action towards my goals that day (or week) depending on the size of the goal and the action needed.

No action. No forum.

It's simple but effective (for me anyway) :)

ExCubeCommando

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Oct 10, 2015
Evans, Colorado
I'm glad someone brought this subject up. I'm new here, but I've been spending all my time reading, working my business, and reading more, back to business again. No TV, no distractions...same routine for a while now.

Sometimes I get to the point where after staying up late reading and trying to absorb as much as I can, I'll have all this clutter in my head trying to figure out what move I want to make. So many ideas!

Where some people spend all their waking hours between their 9 - 5 consumed by sports, video games and other entertainment, I'm trying to do the same with absorbing ideas. I'm spending most of my time reading this, and a forum related to customers I deal with about equipment failures of what the typical customer of mine would deal with, while gathering ideas on what I could do to come up with a 'better mousetrap' so to speak.

I'll read about someone complaining about some piece of equipment, roll ideas in my head how I might figure out how someone could design something better, how to get it patented, if needed, or modified to improve it, how to get a prototype, market, etc. In the meantime, someone else is complaining about something else, and I'm thinking "That might be something to latch onto and run with it". Too easy to get distracted with a 'better' idea.

Trying to cram too much information into a short time can generate a lot of ideas, but seems to have the same effect as tires spinning on ice. I know I just need to focus on one good thing, run with it, take the chance, and if it doesn't work, chalk it up as a learning experience and go for the next project.

Everything in life is a gamble, it's just a matter of evaluating the odds, and not making some knee jerk reaction that will foolishly waste money. Meanwhile, needing to avoid analysis paralysis looking frozen like a deer in the headlights.

So much information, so little time!

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jan 1, 2015
What I found these days, how to be more actionable:
1. do what you already know
2. outsource what you dont know
3. learn what you need to learn(just enough to be able to outsource!)

4. Getting profit and outsource more.

This way you will stay in the action cycle way more! And only need to learn if it is something you absolutely must know to be able to outsource!

Last edited:

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014

To me it goes in cycle:
1st: I get to know new things, learn techniques, tips.
2nd: it needs to consolidate and I start implementing those in action.
3rd: master those new skills until those get daily routine

Then repeat when I reach a plateau and starving for further improvement.

yes and always remember someone who is providing something of value is also looking too build their brand, their site, their product/service, their revenue, their marketing. If you focus too much on their thing, you are not focusing on yours. But that is the goal of most businesses today and why they use so much marketing, social media, and social interaction to "fish" you in.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I might have said this elsewhere w/regards to the forum, but for me (and hopefully other solopreneuers) this place gives me a feeling of having co-workers and associates, and yet, we don't work in the same building or industry. It's nice to turn that on/off.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Great post on learning one of the basic foundations of succeeding.

All the know-how in the world isn't going to change you economically until you begin to ACT.

That is one of the reasons I limit my time here weekly and post rarely is because I am too busy building my dream, not dreaming it.

This is a great forum, but at least for me, it can be a drug, and keep me from the real actions that bring me lasting success.

++Rep

JustinBoshans

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 14, 2013
You should look into Steven Spielberg's story. (I think it was Spielberg, one of the big directors anyways)

He walked past the guards to get into Universal's film lots everyday just by pretending he was supposed to be there. He camped out in an abandoned trailer on one of the lots and met big names in the industry. He eventually met a big shot who was interested in some of Spielberg's movie ideas and gave him a deal. This is faking it until you make it at its finest.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
You should look into Steven Spielberg's story. (I think it was Spielberg, one of the big directors anyways)

He walked past the guards to get into Universal's film lots everyday just by pretending he was supposed to be there. He camped out in an abandoned trailer on one of the lots and met big names in the industry. He eventually met a big shot who was interested in some of Spielberg's movie ideas and gave him a deal. This is faking it until you make it at its finest.
Yup, it's also doing what most others won't. Everyone else was likely getting off from their waiting jobs and hanging at home waiting for that phone call rather than going out and making it happen.

Ben Doyle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 11, 2015
Hi guys,

- Be myself.

- Am I credible? yes.

The game is on.

You keep saying you 'aren't important', you're 'not successful' and you're still a 'nobody'.

I would absolutely disagree!

You are having lots of success - you might think these are small successes but THEY ARE successes.

People see you as valuable so you ARE valuable.

I would like to congratulate you and I'd just like to tell you to give yourself a bit more credit!

A great post, we'll done!

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
Just a quick update. I am still working on my project, although I had to slow down a little bit due to some expected circumstances. Since this was expected I was able to work around it as much as possible.
I keep saying that I have been working on my reputation... guess what, two local millionaires approached me and asked that I run for office (lowest possible level!), and promised that somehow they would help me. They also introduced me to a few more interesting people.

As a plus, my wife got her Bachelor degree (Summa Cum Laude)... and with just about $500 in student debt TOTAL. Ok, it's not fastlane per se, but I am proud that we managed to avoid being seriously screwed by student debts. Thanks to some connections that I got she already got some... pointers (let's leave it at that lol).

Quick tip: I just discovered the One Day app (both iOS and Mac)... it's quite amazing. (I am not affiliated).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.