The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Here? Why you should read first and ask questions later..

Anything related to matters of the mind

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I was going to post this in response to a specific thread but thought other new members might get some mileage out of it so I have expanded upon it and put it out in the open.

What promoted this post was a new member asking these questions within a thread:

"Really how can I find a product worth selling?"

"But how will I know if an idea is worth pursuing?"

"Do you have any advice on how to do good product research to validate a product and determine whether it's worth selling?"

"How do I find a product to sell?"

The intention is not to single this person out (or anyone else who has asked these and similar questions) as they are not alone by far. It just seems that some come here after reading one or both of MJ's books with the expectation of being spoon fed the answers to these and similar questions.

On the surface this sounds totally OK and sensible but if we just simply answer your basic questions we are fostering the wrong mental attitude for successful entrepreneurship and getting you off to a bad start.

You can be sure that, unless it is pretty exotic, the answers to every question you have is already within the pages of this forum. Pretty much every early stage question you have has already been debated here multiple times by multiple people from multiple backgrounds in multiple ways, and from multiple angles.

The members patiently responding to a basic question like "How do I find a product to sell?" are helping because you are new, but instead of holding your hand they should be telling you that you have the wrong mindset.

If you are asking a question like this then my friends here (although with all the kindness and best intentions in the world) will be doing you a great disservice in answering if for you. You need some tough love.

You came here presumably to get out of the Slowlane. To carve out your own path. Create your own future. Be your own boss and live life on your own terms. Being an entrepreneur is about standing on your own two feet. Learning. Figuring things out. Growing. Asking for help when you really need it. By its very nature it means you can't be reliant on others to do all the lifting for you. You need to build resilience and self-reliance. This comes with time but you have to start somewhere and here is the perfect opportunity.

You need to learn that success isn't about what you need. It's about DISCOVERING what others need. Then acting upon that discovery. By spoon feeding you we are inhibiting your ability to learn, discover and then act when the time comes.

So you see it is totally unproductive to spoon feed you information when it is already here and all you need do is search for it. You will learn a whole lot more by diving in to thread after thread. Light bulbs will go off, moments of enlightenment, flashes of inspiration, subjects for contemplation. Your mind will expand exponentially.

A whole university of entrepreneurship is right before your eyes so do yourself a favour, don't ask someone to go find the book, open the page, highlight the paragraph and stick it under your nose for you. You will never expanding your knowledge that way. This will just stifle your growth.

Take some time and immerse yourself here. Do it with a totally open mind. Don't start out with a 'what product should I sell?' mentality. That is creating a closed mindset and tunnel vision. Don't commit yourself to any particular road until you have fully explored the map.

You might already have a great idea for a business and are excited to make a start. Wonderful, but don't rush in. Look for people who have already travelled similar paths. Read about their trials and tribulations. Get some insights into how they developed their businesses, their stumbling blocks and dead ends. It is so much easier to follow a path someone has already created than to have to cut a fresh one from scratch.

This forum will not only help you avoid going down the wrong path but will also save you a fortune in both time and money (and believe me time is so much more valuable than money). So don't act in haste in order to repent in leisure. But don't take that as a free ticket for inactivity either. You will learn a wealth of information from these pages but that just readies you for learning a wealth of information that you will only discover once you take action.

At a risk of further spoon feeding, you could do a lot worse than start here:

NOTABLE! - Chasing a Cat vs Attracting a Cat, a Breakthrough Story

Or go here The Fastlane Entrepreneur Forum/ and click on the Must Read threads (they are called that for a reason).

must read.jpg

Have a burning question you would like the answer to?

There are two ways to search this forum for previous answers. This way which you will find at the top right of every page:

search4.jpg

Or directly through Google which often gives more results as the site search tends to be a little 'finicky' shall we say. So to search directly via Google copy and paste the following into the big G replacing the question marks with your query:

site:thefastlaneforum.com ????????????????

Looking forward to following your journeys and learning from your insights.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for the post.

The intention is not to single this person out (or anyone else who has asked these and similar questions) as they are not alone by far. It just seems that some come here after reading one or both of MJ's books with the expectation of being spoon fed the answers to these and similar questions.

I feel like these questions are answered in both my books.

If you're still asking these question(s) after a full digestion of 700 pages, the reader either 1) Doesn't comprehend or 2) Glossed over it.

"What product should I sell" is a money chasing question. Yes, wrong mind, wrong actions, wrong results.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Brilliant! Thanks for the reminder.

Instead of thinking how to make $1,000,000. Think about how you can make 1,000,000 value vouchers (i.e. provide value for millions of people)

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

ForgetSuccess

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Oct 25, 2018
Thank you and welcome to the forum. Look forward to reading of your journey and future successes.
Thanks for that.

What you said resonated quite nicely with me,
"Learning. Figuring things out. Growing. Asking for help when you really need it. By its very nature it means you can't be reliant on others to do all the lifting for you. You need to build resilience and self-reliance."

As I found myself searching and asking a lot (not on this forum, mind you) and realised that I just had to figure out my own way, without asking for specificities; everybody has their unique (good) advice, and at some juncture, I realised that just got pretty confusing, too.

And although I'm trying to forget the attachment to success. I do hope for future successes. So, thanks!

All the best.

Ian O'Bryant

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Sep 4, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
Thank you for taking the time to post that.This post feels like an extension from MTF's post about struggling with business ideas and what IceCreamKid was trying to say.

It seems like when people see what the rewards of this lifestyle are, they want to get started as soon as possible. Unscripted freedom is dangling in front of us and the first lesson is be patient. Having the patience to stop looking for money and wait to hear what the market is saying.

As you say in your post - immerse yourself in this forum. When you immerse yourself, you will find that you don't have to ask "What product to sell" and you begin to hear what the market says.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
This forum will not only help you avoid going down the wrong path but will also save you a fortune in both time and money (and believe me time is so much more valuable than money). So don't act in haste in order to repent in leisure. But don't take that as a free ticket for inactivity either. You will learn a wealth of information from these pages but that just readies you for learning a wealth of information that you will only discover once you take action.

@RazorCut great advice!

I am new and learning as I go.

Already found tremendous value in the forum.

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
I really needed to hear that, you put it in a such a way that I understand. I could not formulate the question but you gave the answer. This was just the direction I needed.
Whilst keeping my eye on the market and reading through this forum, it is definitely something I can practice as well in my daily engineering life.
Also thanks for the comments that follow. There were some key phrase that will be incorporated in my new framework and daily mantra.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.