The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Masterminds and Building My Own

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
Over the last 2 years I have joined three different mastermind groups. I guess I am in 4 now including this group.

I have found them HUGELY beneficial.

Some things I have learned so far:
  • surrounded by successful people I otherwise wouldn't have access too
  • networking
  • learning from people who have already done it or are currently crushing the game
  • availability to high level people
  • the willingness of these people to share is unbelievable
  • when you pay you pay more attention to the message
  • motivation
  • goal setting
  • weekly/monthly group meetings to discuss business ventures
  • bounce ideas off of each other
In one of my mastermind meetings I spoke about the importance of Self-Defense and how the average person needs to learn the skills to be Hard to Kill.

I have been involved in Self-Defense and MMA training for over 20+ years. So when I talk about it I get pretty passionate about the subject.

On the zoom call I had about 10 guys ask questions and afterwards they said they learned so much from just me talking about the basic skills one should do on a day to day basis to not be a victim.

More reached out after to tell me they would love to learn more.

It got me thinking.. Everyone joins mastermind groups to level up their game in business, make more money to drive the lambos and hang out on yachts.

But very few join mastermind groups to level up their fighting and fitness game.

So, I decided to create a mastermind group in the niche.

I am currently waiting on the developer to finalize the website but here are the steps I have taken and the value I will be adding to the mastermind group.

1. Think of a name - Savage Syndicate
2. Secure domain name
3. Register LLC
4. Create Private Facebook Group
5. Start adding content on Social Media - Facebook & Instagram
6. Create Content for website
7. Adding small lessons on how to stay safe in different scenarios
8. Talked to elite tactical personal on partnering up to run seminars

The goal of the group is to instill confidence & strength in the average person and making them Hard to Kill.

I will do that by providing experts, professionals and individuals who can help answer questions, training and adding value anywhere we can. I hope to offer the tools to make the average person a SAVAGE!

The Savage Syndicate Membership Includes:
  • Unlimited access to a community of elite individuals who are constantly sharpening their skills and helping each other become
  • Facilitated monthly ZOOM calls (1-2 per month) with the group to discuss training tactics, strength, and conditioning wins and much more.
  • Early access to seminars
  • Access to experienced Black Belts in Jiu-Jitsu and Krav Maga, former UFC fighters, and more.
  • Monthly webinars with professional Savages.
  • Access to Private Facebook Group
  • Discounts on training from other Savage Syndicate Members
  • Your personal bio in the Members area to promote your services
  • Access to the Savage Watermen Podcast with past guest including Chris Leben, Ian McCall, Black Belts in Jiu-Jitsu and Krav Maga, Gym owners, etc.
  • First Access to Savage Syndicate merchandise

After joining the mastermind groups and gaining so much value from others I hope to do the same with the Savage Syndicate.

I am open for the groups thoughts or ideas to make this mastermind the best of its kind.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Savage Logo Black. png.png
    Savage Logo Black. png.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 0

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I like this idea and I plan to do something similar with my newsletter Discomfort Club though it'll be about various uncomfortable/hard things and not just self-defense.

How do you plan to get your first members and be able to afford inviting the guests (unless you plan to be the only guy running the calls)?

I'm looking forward to reading about your progress.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Have a look at video too. Self-defence lends itself to video.

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
I like this idea and I plan to do something similar with my newsletter Discomfort Club though it'll be about various uncomfortable/hard things and not just self-defense.

How do you plan to get your first members and be able to afford inviting the guests (unless you plan to be the only guy running the calls)?

I'm looking forward to reading about your progress.
Great idea with the Discomfort Club.

I have a first tier of people I want to invite.. My fighting circle I've acquired over the years of training. I will also invite everyone in the mastermind groups. A lot of them have said they will join just on the information I have shared already within the group.

I have a podcast called the Savage Watermen where I started out talking to fighters and surfers then it morphed into anyone I found interesting and could add value.

I am not willing to pay anyone to come on at this point. Most high level guys who can add value love talking about the subjects and are open to be on for free.

I already have about 10 people I have in mind for the first couple zoom calls. All add huge value in being prepared for life events.

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
Have a look at video too. Self-defence lends itself to video.
Agreed.

I want to hire a professional video guy to come to events or trainings with me so I can put tons of content together from what I am already doing.

But also have more personalized videos like "how to get out of a choke hold" or "how to improve situational awareness" type of videos.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
What pricing model will you go for?

- If it's a small group, you need to charge a high amount for each member
- If it's a large group, you can charge less, but then you struggle a bit with the "mastermind" format at size
- If the focus is on the speakers, then that opens up some options, but then it also can be tough to keep the mastermind vibe as the group grows

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
But very few join mastermind groups to level up their fighting and fitness game.

So, I decided to create a mastermind group in the niche.
Go for it dude! Love it!

I think many will take you up on it.

Would've be the first to join if I was local. My only feedback would be that this needs to sometimes (or often?) be live. I've been in MMA and many other sports, but had to stop due to injuries, and still looking to get back into it, even if only 1-on-1 with coach.

As you surely know better than me, practice beats theory in these things. I'd rather even jog or lift weights than just "chat" fight, which adds more sitting to my already sedentary work.

On the other hand, a guy like @Bigguns50 taught me so much about street smarts over calls we had, that it very literally saved my life a few times. And @Bigguns50 I know I told you about some of those events but there were more. Thank you brother!

So I think a mix of calls and meetups would be best. And actually I'm suggesting @Bigguns50 would be an awesome first guest if you guys are up for it.

@Antifragile @BizyDad did you at any point on this forum mention that you were boxers, and if you didn't, why do I think you were/are?:) Anyway, thought it's cool to tag in this thread. @Kak also.

@MTF would love if your club also had some live events. Cold showers and solo workouts are theory as far as I'm concerned:) Doesn't have to be all discomfort too, right? Could be some challenges mixed up with enjoying life and meeting new friends.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
@FastNAwesome thanks for the tag! And bro you got awesome memory. Decades ago I was a boxer. But I haven’t been to a boxing gym since.
After reading Rickson Gracie’s book “Breathe”, I’m keen to find my way to BJJ/Gracie JJ. It sounds like something I would deeply enjoy physically and emotionally as a challenge.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
And @Bigguns50 I know I told you about some of those events but there were more. Thank you brother!
Anytime Brother!
I'm suggesting @Bigguns50 would be an awesome first guest if you guys are up for it.
Funny....I've been contemplating doing a local post here to get some people together once a week to practice all kinds of cool and practical self-defense techniques here in Sedona at a local park. I'm all in! I love this stuff!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Agreed.

I want to hire a professional video guy to come to events or trainings with me so I can put tons of content together from what I am already doing.

But also have more personalized videos like "how to get out of a choke hold" or "how to improve situational awareness" type of videos.
What’s stopping you using your mobile and just recording yourself teaching something?

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
What pricing model will you go for?

- If it's a small group, you need to charge a high amount for each member
- If it's a large group, you can charge less, but then you struggle a bit with the "mastermind" format at size
- If the focus is on the speakers, then that opens up some options, but then it also can be tough to keep the mastermind vibe as the group grows
I was going to change $50 per month
-I want to build a community. The goal is to have about 20 professionals in different martial arts, tactical training, etc. and the rest average citizens who can ask questions and learn from the more experienced people. I find the information I have (that I think is basic) the average person gravitates towards. So like business masterminds where people can connect to make deals, in Savage Syndicate people can be pointed in the right direction for training, watch tutorials on how to do certain moves and watch scenario based tactics that they can utilize in everyday life.
-eventually I will run seminars in different towns where people can take a 2 day course where we provide in person training.

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
Would've be the first to join if I was local. My only feedback would be that this needs to sometimes (or often?) be live. I've been in MMA and many other sports, but had to stop due to injuries, and still looking to get back into it, even if only 1-on-1 with coach.
It won't be a geographical group. Anyone, anywhere can join. Obviously we want to get the average person into a gym or studio to learn the tactics we will be discussing. But so many people I find are intimidated or have a lot of questions about how to get involved. I want to provide the value to them so they know what to expect.
And we all have injuries at some level... but what I tell people is... "you can't tell your attacker, please don't attack me today, I have an old injury nagging me. Next month would be a better time to make me a victim." Hell no!!! We have to prepare everyday in some shape or form.
So I think a mix of calls and meetups would be best. And actually I'm suggesting @Bigguns50 would be an awesome first guest if you guys are up for it.
would love to connect @Bigguns50
@Antifragile @BizyDad did you at any point on this forum mention that you were boxers, and if you didn't, why do I think you were/are?:) Anyway, thought it's cool to tag in this thread. @Kak also.
Would also love to connect with you guys! @Antifragile @BizyDad & @Kak

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
What’s stopping you using your mobile and just recording yourself teaching something?
Absolutely nothing. I am planning on this as well. But I don't want to be fiddling with my phone when doing training techniques. But I get the point.
Content building is going to be a huge part of this.
I've been posting more on FB and Instagram about daily tactics to help people be Hard to Kill.
I have been getting great feedback. And of course the random knucklehead who says how hard is it to stay alive in my plush city by the beach. But I use it all for more talking points!!!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I was going to change $50 per month
-I want to build a community. The goal is to have about 20 professionals in different martial arts, tactical training, etc. and the rest average citizens who can ask questions and learn from the more experienced people. I find the information I have (that I think is basic) the average person gravitates towards. So like business masterminds where people can connect to make deals, in Savage Syndicate people can be pointed in the right direction for training, watch tutorials on how to do certain moves and watch scenario based tactics that they can utilize in everyday life.
-eventually I will run seminars in different towns where people can take a 2 day course where we provide in person training.

Some things to consider:
  • People are lazier than you think and more resistant to paying for stuff that will better their lives than you think. $50/month may be way too much unless you can have some really exceptional experts.
  • Online communities are a tough sell outside of business/investing/careers/other endeavors where you get a clear financial return on your investment.
  • Who's your core target audience? Regular guys who train self-defense may be content with their weekly classes alone. People new to self-defense may not be interested in paying $50/month for a topic new to them. Pro fighters probably don't learn online but rather seek in-person classes. Law enforcement probably trains with their own guys. So who is it for?
  • Self-defense rarely works in an online format due to so many intricacies of each move, the need for a resisting partner, etc. How do you plan to address this?
Maybe you can learn something from Pat McNamara as he runs a similar group:

Note that his most expensive tier is $47/month.

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
People are lazier than you think and more resistant to paying for stuff that will better their lives than you think. $50/month may be way too much unless you can have some really exceptional experts.
I agree. I figure they are paying for the people that aren't in the group rather then the people that are. When I tend to pay for things I pay attention more. I was a personal trainer 20+ years ago and realize people are generally lazy. Savage Syndicate will hopefully be a place to motivate, encourage and add value to those that are on the fence or need an extra push.
Online communities are a tough sell outside of business/investing/careers/other endeavors where you get a clear financial return on your investment.
Understood. I am going to push the dangers of daily life and drill in that people need to be prepared to protect themselves and their families at any given time. A few scare tactics never hurt to motivate people!!
Who's your core target audience? Regular guys who train self-defense may be content with their weekly classes alone. People new to self-defense may not be interested in paying $50/month for a topic new to them. Pro fighters probably don't learn online but rather seek in-person classes. Law enforcement probably trains with their own guys. So who is it for?
Target Audience: 30-55 male/female who need to learn self defense or are interested in leveling up their already proven skills. Most regular guys do not have access to UFC fighters (past/present) and High Level trainers. People will listen to their message more than mine. I will be more of the facilitator. Member asks a question - myself, group and professionals will answer. And maybe we can make a video content to show how it should properly be done. It won't generally be an online class but an online resource to learn and show where they can best learn in their area.
Again, it isn't for the person who is a black belt to learn more technique or the professional protector to come and learn. It is a resource for the average person to be educated and or sharpen their skills on becoming Hard to Kill.
Self-defense rarely works in an online format due to so many intricacies of each move, the need for a resisting partner, etc. How do you plan to address this?
Show them the moves. Have a high-level person show proper technique and suggest where they can go in there area to learn more. Most people need to change their mindset before they even step into a studio. Savage Syndicate will motivate, push and guide you on the core values of becoming a protector. It is up to the individual to apply the knowledge and information I will provide.

The masterminds I am a part of have done everything I have spoken about. I have changed my habits, the way I was thinking about certain topics. I have't met most of the people in person. But I now talk to them on social media almost daily. We keep each other motivated. I have surround my virtual world with like minded driven people who are all in the same frame of mind of improving ourselves - Mentally, Physically, Financially and building our Relationship Capital!
Maybe you can learn something from Pat McNamara as he runs a similar group:
Thank you for the reference... I will check him out!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I just can’t get my brain to accept learning MMA online over a video or otherwise. Same with boxing or any sport for that matter. You can watch 100s of videos on how to swim, but without getting in the water…

Sorry if I’m being negative on the idea here. Speaking from the heart. I can see reading a newsletter that pushes my mindset to better levels. I can see specific techniques for a very specific move … which is likely on YT already. But what you are describing and at a $50/mo does not excite me.

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
I just can’t get my brain to accept learning MMA online over a video or otherwise. Same with boxing or any sport for that matter. You can watch 100s of videos on how to swim, but without getting in the water…

Sorry if I’m being negative on the idea here. Speaking from the heart. I can see reading a newsletter that pushes my mindset to better levels. I can see specific techniques for a very specific move … which is likely on YT already. But what you are describing and at a $50/mo does not excite me.
Thank you for your insight.

I don't want to make this a tutorial group. I want to make it a hub for people to come and learn Self-Defense knowledge (where to train, how to get started, proper technique, ask questions to experts in the field, etc.).

I agree that you can't learn to fight or protect yourself from watching a video. Believe me I tell everyone they need to go to a controlled environment and get hit in the face. Better to find out how it feels in a room with good people than on the streets with a predator.

But my goal with this mastermind group is to inspire people to learn to protect themselves and their family. Not just by joining the group, but with any mastermind group you have to have accountability for your progress.

I want to change peoples mindset on their capabilities.

I am tired of watching good people become victims for stupid reasons. Walking around with their heads down on their phones, not having situational awareness, taking notice of suspicious characters, etc.

The group will be a safe haven for the average person to learn from Savages!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

This is exactly the point I wanted to make but couldn't explain it as elegantly.

If someone is new to a real-world skill, they have to do it in person.

If they're already doing it, then maybe an online solution can help. But only a small percentage will actually look for extra content online in addition to what they're learning in person. An even smaller percentage will pay for it. An even smaller will pay for it monthly.

For example, I could be your target market. I train MMA and am interested in self-defense/survival/being a badass. But I simply don't see getting much from an online mastermind on that. I don't need accountability because I don't have problems with discipline and I have a coach.

Similar with swimming which @Antifragile gave as an example. I learned how to swim in person. I LOVE open water swimming and in the summer drive 40 minutes a few times a week to swim in my favorite lake. But I don't consume any content on swimming and wouldn't pay for it. I do pay for swimming GEAR but not for online advice or accountability. I don't need it. I'd rather go and swim.

But my goal with this mastermind group is to inspire people to learn to protect themselves and their family. Not just by joining the group, but with any mastermind group you have to have accountability for your progress.

I want to change peoples mindset on their capabilities.

I am tired of watching good people become victims for stupid reasons. Walking around with their heads down on their phones, not having situational awareness, taking notice of suspicious characters, etc.

As I examined my own newsletter and thought about it more after posting my initial response to your idea, I changed my perspective.

In the part of your post I quoted, it's all about your goals, what you want to do, and what you're tired of. And I can relate to that. It makes sense. It's a noble goal.

But most people don't think like that. Most people aren't tired of doing stupid things. They aren't even aware. And even if they are, they have "better" (as in: worse) things to do like literally walking around with their heads down on their phones.

Your market is much smaller than you think. I'm NOT saying don't do it. I'm saying it'll be a much tougher sell than you think. Hell, I can't even sell 85% of my newsletter list to click on a link, let alone pay $50/monthly.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Just wanted to chime in and say that Savage Syndicate doesn't sound as cool as (The) Hard to Kill Podcast/Mastermind/whatever.

If I saw the latter it would intrigue me while the former sounds like a name for a fighting tips channel on YouTube.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Our 10 year old started playing in goals for a soccer team so I’ve been watching lots of videos on YouTube recently showing drills and techniques to practice. Then I’m getting him to practice them.

It’s great, and I had no idea there was so much involved.

Same as for soccer dribbling drills. I even bought cones so we can set stuff up in the garden.

Our 11 year old plays hurling (look it up, it’s mad!). I’ve never played but look up drills I can get him to practice.

I’m the sprint coach for the U13s in the local athletics club, and sometimes do the warmups for my son’s hurling team. Again, the cones come in handy.

I watched some great videos on YouTube about coaching youngsters with sprints, and making games out of it. Enough for me to spend a few dollars on an eBook from one of the channel owners.

I’ve done kickboxing classes with the kids, and then watched videos on YouTube showing drills we then practice in the garden. We’ve jump-ropes, gloves, and pads in the shed.

Our 13 year old is getting into light weight training. I already know enough exercises so haven’t watched videos (yet), but have bought some weights. I can see us needing heavier weights at some point, and a weight rack to keep things tidy.

I say all this as a parent who’s also a coach. I love YouTube for finding little videos to show techniques I can then practice with my kids.

I buy equipment, and little eBooks with training plans etc.

I’m not interested in an online community where I’ll be chatting with folks, but might be interested in a membership with something more than I can get from YouTube. Although YouTube is amazing.

I doubt I’d pay $50/mth for something, but maybe there’s a price point that would appeal.

Oh, and as a dad I’d want me, my wife, and my kids to be able to avoid trouble and defend themselves. I wouldn’t want us to be “savages” though.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Just wanted to chime in and say that Savage Syndicate doesn't sound as cool as (The) Hard to Kill Podcast/Mastermind/whatever.

If I saw the latter it would intrigue me while the former sounds like a name for a fighting tips channel on YouTube.
I’ve been meaning to say this too.

Hard To Kill sounds good.

I’m repelled by anything labelled “Savages”.

I may or may not be your target market.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Another thought: kids get bored quick. I need a steady stream of new games and drills (as well as core ones of course). That could lend itself to a monthly membership or even a subscription box.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Hard To Kill sounds good.

I’m not interested in anything labelled “Savages”.

That's a very good point and I agree with that.

I assume the word "Savage" probably appeals to @Surf16 and people he's working with but regular everyday folks will have negative connotations.

Come to think of it, the name of my newsletter (Discomfort Club) is probably also a bad idea. It's selling the wrong thing and probably repels men otherwise interested in personal development. Though there is also some value in anti-marketing like that to only appeal to the select few.

This thread is proving educational to me as well so thank you for starting it.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany

As someone doing some martial arts, I can only agree with this.

Like @Antifragile said, I watched a lot of videos when I started, but without getting to try out what I had watched quickly afterwards in real life training, they would probably not have taught me much. Most sports are learned by doing them. Yes, you can get ideas and instructions online, but ultimately the real work starts in real life.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Come to think of it, the name of my newsletter (Discomfort Club) is probably also a bad idea. It's selling the wrong thing and probably repels men otherwise interested in personal development. Though there is also some value in anti-marketing like that to only appeal to the select few.

I’m not interested in “discomfort”. It sounds like an odd goal to me. I’m interested in my kids growing up resilient, self-confident, and independent though.

And do they need to be in a club to become self-sufficient?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Look up Rachel Miller on YouTube. She labels her Facebook pages as something people aspire to be or identify with.

Think: What would they wear on a t-shirt?

Crazy Cat Lady

BJJ Addict

Fortnight Sweat

Etc.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
“Yes, but” vs “Yes, and”

“You can learn from video, but it’s not as good as training in person.”

vs

“You can learn from video, and it’s not as good as training in person.”

The first version discounts the idea. The second keeps you thinking “how can I get round that or make it an advantage?”

Maybe the videos show how to do drills (solo or with a partner)? Maybe the videos start by saying theory is no substitute for actual practice?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Come to think of it, the name of my newsletter (Discomfort Club) is probably also a bad idea. It's selling the wrong thing and probably repels men otherwise interested in personal development.

I disagree. The first question that pops into one mind reading this name is WTf is a “Discomfort Club”?

It’s unique in that it’s not your typical “7 steps to make you feel happy inside your warm and cozy bed by doing nothing except dreaming about winning a lotto” or “I’ll teach you how to make money once you pay me, as soon as I get payment I’ll tell you to do what I just did!”

Most of self help is nauseating. Kids taking a few Tommy Robbins quotes and thinking they are gurus online. All soft and dreamy.

With your name, you have an opportunity to define the club any way you like it. And it won’t come off soft. There is a market for it.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Maybe the videos show how to do drills (solo or with a partner)? Maybe the videos start by saying theory is no substitute for actual practice?
Yes, maybe focus on fitness aspect. Drills and fitness are first step. And that can be a business of its own.

I like the old p90x videos for it. Before YT was providing crazy good workouts to follow, it was an amazing deal to just watch Tony Horton and repeat. It’s not self defence, but builds strength from home!

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
Wow, thank you guys for all the input.

While I agree with some I disagree with others.

I think the confusion comes from this being a membership to get you to become a "Savage" which suggest being a "brute" or "nasty" person.

In my training we are taught to respond to violence with violence. So I want to relay the message that the average person can be a "Savage" when need be to protect themselves and their families.

Yes, there will be tutorial videos but this is not for the experienced fighter to sharpen his skills.

This is to bring awareness of everyday dangers we face when we leave the house to the average citizen.

The goal is to educate and to add value to people who have their heads in the clouds most of the time.

It is going to be a resource where they can come in and learn basic self awareness tactics that will help them and their families stay safe. Where they can ask the experts on everyday worries they may have about safety or precautions to take while traveling with their families.

And YES, they will have to do the work on their own to excel. They are not going to learn the Karate Kid way of opening a book and practicing "high ahhh's" a thousand times!

I am currently in mastermind groups that I can either stay un-active and sit on the side lines and watch people change their lives or I can choose to do what I do and be interactive with the group. Reach out and make connections with others that are in different chapters of their life that I wish to attain. We call it building Relationship Capital. I now talk with people who are hugely successful on the daily. I ask advice and talk about solving problems I have with my companies. The value I have gained is invaluable (too me anyways).

I pay quite a bit of money for these groups monthly. Way more than the $50 I plan to charge.

They motivate me to be better at business, sales, copywriting, etc.

My thought is the person who is griping about paying $50 a month to be a part of something that may or may not help save their life one day is not the target market.

P.S. I also like the Discomfort Club! But I am also surrounded by people who train and typically do crazy shit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.