The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
Solve problems. Get freedom.

That's it.

:)
That's a good fundamental attitude and focus to have bro. Never lose that! Again though, while you're getting your freelance/consulting skills together I highly recommend you work on strategies to scale your time and efforts. You have to create a playbook for moving from slow lane to fast lane.

MJ explains the math of all this in the book if you need more background on this.

Good luck!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
That's a good fundamental attitude and focus to have bro. Never lose that! Again though, while you're getting your freelance/consulting skills together I highly recommend you work on strategies to scale your time and efforts. You have to create a playbook for moving from slow lane to fast lane.

MJ explains the math of all this in the book if you need more background on this.

Good luck!

Thanks man,

I'll never stop trying, learning, and getting better.

I hope everyone reading this makes the same decision. Right here. Right now.

Just keep going. Keep trying.

You do get better. Everything gets better.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Thank you for sharing this Lex, very inspiring and helpful.

I'm having some trouble filling out my BIO. For education and experience. If you're literally just starting working as a writer. No college degree for it, no experience. What do you recommend to put in the bio? Do you have an example of what a good bio looks like or a reference for one, again with no experience or degree for what you're offering.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thank you for sharing this Lex, very inspiring and helpful.

I'm having some trouble filling out my BIO. For education and experience. If you're literally just starting working as a writer. No college degree for it, no experience. What do you recommend to put in the bio? Do you have an example of what a good bio looks like or a reference for one, again with no experience or degree for what you're offering.

Hey there,

I'm in the middle of nowhere typing from my phone, so I'll try to give the best answer I can under the circumstances haha.

If you want gigs with no degree or experience, you have to figure out what skills and experience you do have. Then figure out how you can use them to meet the client's needs.

If you've never written anything, then you'd better have something else to offer. There's tons of skills that apply to writing that may not seem to relate at all.

Like, if you type fast then that keeps costs low and helps ensure fast delivery. If you're good with MS Word then clients won't need to spend time teaching you how to format.

You can also offer things most others won't. I offer free adjustments, free reports and a personal money-back guarantee that extends beyond odesk.

Add the skills you have and show how they help.

But, your profile isn't the main focus if you really want to pursue this. Probably 80% of getting gigs is your actual application. It has to be custom tailored to the individual client's needs every single time.

You have to grab their attention in the first line of your cover letter by showing what problem of theirs you solve. Then focus on building a connection by just being yourself.

If they're not paying much then writing quality isn't such a big deal, just be willing to work hard and learn.

By the way, be sure to ask yourself, can I honestly help this client? Or am I applying because it's what I want?

It sounds like writing is what you want. Client's don't care what you want. Not until you prove you can give them what they want.

If you can't legitimately deliver what they need, then you should apply to gigs you can deliver on while learning to write on the side.

If you try to go for big fish and learn at their expense, it's not gonna end well!

Also, I didn't add any examples because I'm on my phone but also because any example won't have your personality. It will have theirs and that won't help you until you learn to connect with people using your personality.

Last edited:

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
@SinisterLex , Hey man great post. I was actually considering learning copywriting in the near future, but reading this post inspired me to start now. I want to learn copywriting, so I might as well make some money too. I would love to hear some advice for beginners with no experience in copywriting looking for work as a copywriter on ODesk.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@SinisterLex , Hey man great post. I was actually considering learning copywriting in the near future, but reading this post inspired me to start now. I want to learn copywriting, so I might as well make some money too. I would love to hear some advice for beginners with no experience in copywriting looking for work as a copywriter on ODesk.

Copywriting isn't what you need to learn...

You need to learn how to solve other people's problems.

There's tons of advice above, but until you stop focusing on yourself, it won't do you any good.

Any time you catch yourself saying "I want" - backtrack and ask yourself what you will give first.

This isn't a copywriting thread. That's why I put it under general entrepreneurship. It's a thread about making money. Copywriting by itself won't do jack for you.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I want to learn copywriting, so I might as well make some money too. I would love to hear some advice for beginners with no experience in copywriting looking for work as a copywriter on ODesk.

Here's a copywriting tip...

When you write the About page for a website, there should be more mentions of "you" than "I", "we", or "my".

It's not about you, it's what you can do for them.

Anyone reading your About page does not want to learn about you, but find out how you can help them.

Last edited:

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Copywriting isn't what you need to learn...

If you wanna learn to be a copywriter then you need to learn copywriting right?

What I would do if your new at Odesk is to only bill the client for a fraction of the time you took, this is because your learning to write copy and you dont want to be paid to learn now do you?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
^^^ Lol... the first step to getting that copywriting gig on Odesk is to learn enough copywriting to write your own bio, and to apply for the gigs.

It's funny that so many of the copywriters that @SinisterLex sees on Odesk have bios all about themselves, and not what they can do for the prospective clients. If you can't write copy selling your own services, then how're you going to do it for your clients?

This is a great thread.

Also read @IceCreamKid 's thread about ice cream.

And go find MJ's story about money being like a cat.

At the end of the day, it's not about YOU, but what you can do for others.

EDIT: I'm bookmarking this thread and will point people to it the whenever they post a thread asking how to make money online, or saying they don't know where to start.

This thread IS about copywriting, and IS about selling, and IS about being successful in business.

You've got to get your mindset right first.

Eradicate "I want" from your vocabulary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
^^^ Lol... the first step to getting that copywriting gig on Odesk is to learn enough copywriting to write your own bio, and to apply for the gigs.

It's funny that so many of the bios of the copywriters that @SinisterLex sees on Odesk are all about themselves, and not what they can do for the prospective clients. If you can't write copy selling your own services, then how're you going to do it for your clients?

This is a great thread.

Also read @IceCreamKid 's thread about ice cream.

At the end of the day, it's not about YOU, but what you can do for others.

If you wanna learn to be a copywriter then you need to learn copywriting right?

What I would do if your new at Odesk is to only bill the client for a fraction of the time you took, this is because your learning to write copy and you dont want to be paid to learn now do you?

When I get back from the field I'll try to share more about getting started on Odesk. I don't want to give the impression that learning copywriting isn't one of the most useful things to learn.

It's just a challenge articulating it from my phone on a cot!

Copywriting is a great skill because the entire foundation is built on the idea of figuring out what people want and showing how you'll to give it to them.

I promise my responses above aren't resistance. I just want to wait til' I'm back from the field so I can give the questions proper thought, and answers worth reading.

But I want people to know that my first odesk gigs had nothing to do with copywriting because I hadn't learned it yet.

A better place to start might be the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People". This book cuts straight to the heart of understanding people fast.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
When I get back from the field I'll try to share more about getting started on Odesk. I don't want to give the impression that learning copywriting isn't one of the most useful things to learn.

It's just a challenge articulating it from my phone on a cot!

Copywriting is a great skill because the entire foundation is built on the idea of figuring out what people want and showing how you'll to give it to them.

I promise my responses above aren't resistance. I just want to wait til' I'm back from the field so I can give the questions proper thought, and answers worth reading.

But I want people to know that my first odesk gigs had nothing to do with copywriting because I hadn't learned it yet.

A better place to start might be the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People". This book cuts straight to the heart of understanding people fast.
I don't think you're being resistant at all.

You've given the blueprint, and written it very well.

It's a big mindset shift for people to go from "I want" to "How can I help you?".

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 2, 2013
I have a couple questions.

Did you have freelancing experience before a couple of weeks ago?

You said your first freelance jobs weren't copywriting. Are they primarily copywriting now? I ask because I have studied a fair amount of copywriting and would be trying to get copywriting jobs.

Did you have copywriting experience (professional or personal) before this past month?

How did you determine your price-per-job? Was it based on a personal hourly number, or did you try to price yourself competitively?

Thanks for the post. You have a stellar mindset.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Yes excellent thread glad I found this. The parts I'm having trouble with are the experience, education, portfolio's, really most of the fields in your bio, I have to leave blank because I don't have any formal education or experience yet in copy.

I can apply for jobs and say what I can do for them all day long, but when they click on my profile to look at my profile, it's going to look terrible except for the about me.

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
@SinisterLex, @tafy , I didn't mean for my post to sound so much about me. What I meant was I wanted to know how I can lay the foundation in terms of my copywriting skills to use it to fund my other projects. Tomorrow will be my first day starting the Gary Halbert 30 day challenge, I wanted to know if it would be wise to wait until after the 30 days, or learn enough to write my bio and profile, then learn as I do gigs. I have a lot of time to invest in learning copy and Im actually really good at customer service, so I wouldn't even care about the money until my clients are 100% satisfied. I know very well what I want doesn't matter to them, I just want some advice on starting so I can help.

G

GuestUser113

@SinisterLex, @tafy , I didn't mean for my post to sound so much about me. What I meant was I wanted to know how I can lay the foundation in terms of my copywriting skills to use it to fund my other projects. Tomorrow will be my first day starting the Gary Halbert 30 day challenge, I wanted to know if it would be wise to wait until after the 30 days, or learn enough to write my bio and profile, then learn as I do gigs. I have a lot of time to invest in learning copy and Im actually really good at customer service, so I wouldn't even care about the money until my clients are 100% satisfied. I know very well what I want doesn't matter to them, I just want some advice on starting so I can help.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...s-learning-and-resources-master-thread.58379/

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
The thing is, all the skills and experience in the world don't matter if the client reads me me me me me me.

My guess is 99% of freelancers send me focused applications. So, for those who send a you focused application the opportunities are limitless.

Hit the nail in the head.
I've applied the same mindset on Fiverr for some time and that was the most profitable time.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Yes excellent thread glad I found this. The parts I'm having trouble with are the experience, education, portfolio's, really most of the fields in your bio, I have to leave blank because I don't have any formal education or experience yet in copy.

I can apply for jobs and say what I can do for them all day long, but when they click on my profile to look at my profile, it's going to look terrible except for the about me.

Judge Judy calls statements like this predicting the future. The assumption Y will happen if X action is taken. Since we can't predict the future, this isn't useful thinking in regards to business. This holds most people back from taking any action, ever.

Entrepreneurs can't predict the future, but we can make educated guesses. If you assume not having your profile filled out will hold you back, then it will.

I didn't assume that. I assumed the opposite - that someone would hire me if I could get their attention and build connections through private messages.

We Don't Need No Education...

My profile had/has no school listed. No degree. No certifications. The only experience listed was my publishing site, and the copy isn't even that good. Other than that, I spent time figuring out how my past experience in other fields, relates to copy. This is what's in my bio.

Add other experience. If you type fast, list it. If you're good with Word, list it. If you took debate class in high school, list it. Just show how it relates. Show how you'll use it to accomplish the task. If you can't do that, then you probably need to apply to smaller/less important gigs until you can do it.

Also take Odesk's tests. The tests cover a wide range of subjects and serve as a quick glance at your skills.

There's tons of free online courses with human relations training. Google "FEMA online courses". They teach interpersonal communication, and you get a certificate.

If you don't have any portfolio pieces, build some. Write some articles or find someone to let you write their about page for free. Go to any local business with a shitty website and see if the owner will let you do it for free.

Profiles Only Add Oomph to Your Cover Letter.

Your profile isn't what's important. Everything in your profile supports your main message, which is in your cover letter. When you start learning copy, you'll quickly understand this.

Your cover letter has to get attention from the very first line. Then build interest by showing how you'll solve their problems. Create relationships with clients by reading between the lines.

Look at what they write to you. Are they formal? Casual? Do they use punctuation, or do they use all lowercase letters and smiley faces.

All this stuff gives you clues to how that client thinks and acts. Learning how to read them takes time. If you learn their thought process, then you can reply using their own language, writing style etc.

If you want copy gigs, you have to show you can write copy. Use your cover letter to prove it. Even if you're just learning, you can still put copy best practices to use.

AIDA

- Attention
- Interest
- Desire
- Action

This process is proven in copywriting. Look it up.

At some point you have to prove your skills. High dollar clients know what they're looking for in cover letters. They're entrepreneurs just like you. You have to prove yourself, whether it's in your cover letter or profile. I use both to sell them.

Every cover letter is personalized. Every cover letter is a sales letter. However, none uses the same format. I change them every time, try new things, and see what works.

They don't take 5 minutes. Sometimes they take like 2 or 3 hours between researching the client, and writing copy.

This isn't a get middle-class income fast idea. If you want the money you gotta work for it, and you gotta connect with clients. You gotta build rapport. You gotta make em' like you.

Puzzles have lots of pieces. They mean nothing until you connect them.

Quit holding yourself back. Quit predicting the future. Just take action. Focusing on others. Listen to my advice. Experience the change.

BrenndenK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
Jul 11, 2013
I put in my two weeks at my line cook job yesterday.

I reached the point where I'm 100% bored of cooking burgers and fried fish.

I am taking on freelancing full time and am going to start in transcription, writing, video and audio editing. I haven't landed any clients yet. It may be premature to put in my two weeks, but that job has me up till 2am at work all weekend and it's messing with my health and peace of mind. I want to be able to get up early and handle my freelancing career like a true professional.

Whatever it takes. If it takes 2-3hrs just to get the perfect cover letter, so be it, thats how the customer is going to see my value.
If I spend all my spare time reading and perfecting my craft.. that's fine because I'm going to be finding ways to offer more value.

I see this as the next step in the process of getting to the fastlane.

I'm up to the challenge, and I'm going to take it head on.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I have a couple questions.

Did you have freelancing experience before a couple of weeks ago?

You said your first freelance jobs weren't copywriting. Are they primarily copywriting now? I ask because I have studied a fair amount of copywriting and would be trying to get copywriting jobs.

Did you have copywriting experience (professional or personal) before this past month?

How did you determine your price-per-job? Was it based on a personal hourly number, or did you try to price yourself competitively?

Thanks for the post. You have a stellar mindset.

Before I started the only freelance experience I had was from the hiring side. I've hired a couple of people on odesk for writing gigs, and a few others for web development. I didn't have any experience as a freelancer.

I have about 10 years of self-study in influence & persuasion, and even persuasive writing, but definitely not copywriting. What's funny is I never truly understood how to implement a lot of that stuff until switching the focus to other people.

Price Per Job

At first I picked a few jobs that were low pay. I started with transcription because I type fast, and it would be easy to over-deliver. Then Tafy hired me for a small copy job. I did it for $5.00, though it took several hours. Both clients left 5 star feedback.

After that I applied to content writing gigs - writing blog articles for small amounts daily. There's tons of people looking for content writers, so these are easy to find.

With a few jobs on my belt, I raised my price from $5 to $13/hr. Once I got hired at $13, I moved to $14, then to $15. By now I'd finished taking notes on Cashvertising, and had a couple of small copywriting gigs showing in my profile.

Next I bumped it to $29/hr. It was a big leap, but now I had 5 stars, good test scores, and a strong bio. I'm a native English speaker, which is super important for most copy gigs. Plus I offered what other copywriters won't - a money-back guarantee.

At $29/hr I booked a semi-full-time gig with an online Canadian sex toy company. I had to try out against a bunch of other people. Luckily, writing erotica and romance short stories for the last year paid off.

So, now I'm their lead copywriter. They hire others to write simple product descriptions, but I write all the stuff that engages customers.

As my hours filled up, I increased my rates. Now It's sitting at $49/hr, but I can't even accept that because I don't have time for any more clients.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

Hey bro,

I don't know much about the Gary Halbert challenge. I've seen the thread, and seen people mention it, but it feels like another excuse for not getting real results. Not saying it won't work, just saying I'm the kind of person that likes to jump in and make shit happen with real-world feedback.

Every cover letter you send, no matter what kind of gig you're applying for, is a chance to test your copy.

If it sucks, you'll get denied, or won't get a response at all. Then you'll know you need to change something.

You can apply to writing gigs to get practice. This way you can at least make some money, while learning.

To be honest, there's still a lot I don't know about copywriting, but if I sat around worrying that I'm not good enough, or don't know enough, then I wouldn't make any money.

Take the Gary Halbert challenge. It'll probably be good for you. But apply to gigs at the same time. The more experience you get, the better. There's no reason you can't do both.

Apply - Study - Test - Repeat

P.S. I modify my bio all the time. Add, subtract ect. Just keep tweeking it until it gets results.

Baku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 20, 2014
Poland
I didn't know oDesk and it's very interesting! What you think about such a describe of me on my Profile?

"Student of architecture, graphic designer. You propably need a good graphic project, layout or logo to increase your income and strengthen the power of your brand. I can do it. And it will be nice."

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I didn't know oDesk and it's very interesting! What you think about such a describe of me on my Profile?

"Student of architecture, graphic designer. You propably need a good graphic project, layout or logo to increase your income and strengthen the power of your brand. I can do it. And it will be nice."

Honestly...

I'd hire one of the forum members who's learning copy. Let them write it for you. Especially if you're marketing to English speaking countries.

Doesn't need to be expensive. Maybe PM one of the guys who replied to this thread.

Give them an opportunity to test their skills. Help them grow. They'll help you grow.

Leave each other good feedback. Build working relationships.

Unless you're learning copy, and plan to write in your native language, you may do more harm than good.

Your example lists skills first. Then it tells prospects what they probably need. You need to figure out their deepest desire/need and show how you solve it in your very first sentence. That's how you get their attention.

Baku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 20, 2014
Poland
Thanks for your comment and advice.

Haha I'm too poor to pay for each thing like that, I can create logo for someone. :D

I just downloaded some books about copywriting and listen english talks at least an hour a day.

Copywriting is interesting field so I don't want to miss this.

BTW, is it very visible that I have not yet very rich experience in english language? :DD

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
My guess is 99% of freelancers send me focused applications. So, for those who send a you focused application the opportunities are limitless.

This is the secret sauce to being mega-successful as an employee (such as it is). If you can tell me in coherent terms how you're going to take what I'm doing to the next level via your unique skills, abilities, or even access to specific items (3D printing, a RED Epic camera, etc.) the only way you're not going to get hired is if I'm not kicking enough butt in my field to be able to take advantage of your value. Barbara Corcoran had a great anecdote related to this: For years, her top real estate agent made substantially more than Barbara did from her property business. That saleswoman had unbelievable value, and so even though she worked for Barbrara and wasn't nailing all the CENTS/CENTS stuff, she still made a fastlane-like level of compensation.

People looking to "get a job" are sometimes even worse than people asking for a donation of money-They not only expect you to give them consistent, low-risk cash, but to be able to figure out some way to make them valuable to you. I can figure out how to add value to my customer, or how to add value to an employee. I don't really have time to do both, because my competition won't waste their time doing both, either.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Deploy Secret Weapons of NLP Mind Control To Earn Money Fast.

Ever heard of NLP? It stands for Neuro-Linguistic Programming.

Neuro = Brain/Mind or Cognitive
Linguistic = Language/Communication
Programming = Automated processes

If you’ve read “The Game” by Neil Strauss, then you know all about the secret weapons of influence used by the world’s top pick-up artists.

If you read a bunch of Odesk copywriter profiles, you’ll notice some (including mine) list experience in NLP. But why?

There’s a common misconception that NLP gives you the power to make others do what you want. This isn’t actually true. But it does answer why people list it.

Some clients believe you can control the minds of prospects with the words you use. They believe in manipulation for personal gain, though they’ll never say it aloud.

There’s just one problem…

People Aren’t Stupid.

NLP may be about communicating with the subconscious mind, but there’s one thing it can’t do. It can’t hide bullshit from plain sight. This goes for any influential weapon you use. Why?

Because influence doesn’t work that way.

Water Flows Because It’s Willing

Influential tactics won’t work on customers or clients if you’re putting yourself first. They’ll see right through you. This is where the term “transparency” comes from.

Modern companies have to be transparent. They can’t use shady, self-centered tactics anymore. It doesn’t work. Does that mean NLP doesn't work at all? No. NLP techniques work incredibly well, but only when you do it right.

The idea behind influence is not, and never was to make people do what they don’t want. Instead, it’s about moving along the path of least resistance (their path) and helping guide them to make decisions in their best interest.

When you put their interests & desires first, the doors of influence swing wide open.

So WTF, You Said NLP Was A Weapon Of Mind Control...

It is. But it isn't meant to control their mind. It's meant to help you control yours.

NLP helps us achieve useful outcomes by giving us the power of choice. The techniques allow us to transform the way we think and see the world. The founding principle is to use what works, and lose what doesn't. In this way, we progress much faster.

But How Do I Use It To Make Money Fast?

The first step is recognizing your stuck state. If you're not getting hired, making money, or making progress, then there's a reason. Probably you're still focusing on yourself instead of others.

So, if you want to make money, you've gotta be honest with yourself. Ask yourself if your goal is to make money, or to help others. If it's money making, you need to change it. Money making is a self-centered goal.

If you write "I want to write copy so I can make a shit ton of money, hire me now." in your cover letters, you won't get any clients.

Instead, you need to operate from a more useful state of mind. It's a state of abundance. A state where you focus your whole heart on positively impacting the other person's life.

Here's a breakdown of the steps:

1. Honestly assess your current state of mind.
2. Learn some NLP techniques to help you adjust.
3. Apply a technique and see if it works.
4. If it doesn't work, try another one.
5. Keep trying until you allow yourself to focus on others.
6. Now apply to gigs, or speak to clients, or move forward in business.
7. With your newly adjusted focus... make money fast.

The NLP Bottom Line

NLP can influence. It can help you earn money fast. It can't force anyone to do what they don't want.

It can be used on others, but you won't control their mind. It can only help them control their own mind.

So, the real power of NLP lies in your ability to apply the techniques and create useful outcomes for yourself and your clients. Use it to help you change your focus. Use it to see other people as people instead of dollar signs. Use it to change lives.

As soon as your mindset shifts, you'll have all the power in the world to earn money fast.

Lastly...

Even if you don't fully get it, that's okay. If you just try it... just try helping someone, things will change. Even if it feels fake at first, just do it. The more you do it, the more you'll adapt the state of mind. Once you get it...earning is easy.

Just Do It.

Last edited:

Baku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 20, 2014
Poland
I read "The Game" some time ago. If we're talking about NLP... I tried a few times read the "NLP in 21days" but I stucked always around 8-10day. :D I understand these all NLP stuff in a little different way.

I'll describe what I do. I noticed that in my life are a few main characters- personalities and each other wants something different.
There is an architecture student who wants to design great building and imagine yourself how his projects are realized and how he supervises the construction works. There is a young guy who wants to meet friends, enjoy now, drink beer, watch movies and play soccer. Another is a "fastlaner" who wants to build great brands, buy expensive stuff, and imagine how he drives in his beauty and angry supercar. These characters are much more like son, friend, brother, student blah blah blah.... And when we notice thoughts come from each character we can control it.

But it is impossible to be effective if we can't control over them. We can do this via NLP or another ways, but when we can't control it.. I'll say you what happens.

For example. I sit at the laptop, launch AutoCad and I'm talking to myself.. Boring.... I should develop my social networks, learn code... Mikolaj.. do some fastlane! On the other hand when I'm focusing on earning money/creating value, reading money-books I thought/think: I should focus on the school. At other times when Im in the city, after a beer, and when confidence and faith grows up... I wanna do fastlane. But when I'm home I want to rest.

Because there is a CONFLICT. I belive that way to control this is beeing present, and continous learning about yourself. Finding new things and borderd which limit us. Step by step, less and less of our ego and more control, clearer objectives...

You can say that this is nooooise, not action, but I think that the true noise is in our heads and when we can't calm them down, taking action is difficult.

Another helpful method to control our minds, our egos, which I practice, is creating habbits. Two weeks ago I made a table with four columns and 300 rows(each per day). Columns describe: workout, listening english talks, graphic design and fastlane activity. For each of these I have to find at least 30min per day, expect work out, which is defined by exercises, not by time. Purpose of this is creating the habbits. And to this day it works great. When I done one goal I fill one box and this is great feeling! I love to fill these small boxes ^^. Even better is when I look at this table and I see black space created by small squares. Each square was a at least 30min of work.. In work out column are empty fields because I need one day of so as not to die... >.<

Attachments

• CAM03091.jpg
    CAM03091.jpg
    699.9 KB · Views: 134

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
@SinisterLex , Great advice man. The fact that you studied persuasion really caught my attention. Mind sharing some good books or resources for learning persuasion and NLP. I see a lot of NLP courses online but they seem gimmicky.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
If you go back to see Lex's past posts and content you will have noticed a radical shift in writing ability, mindset and general badass-ness (is that even a word?)

Not quite sure where he will end up but wherever it is its going to be fastlane, keep it up man!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@SinisterLex , Great advice man. The fact that you studied persuasion really caught my attention. Mind sharing some good books or resources for learning persuasion and NLP. I see a lot of NLP courses online but they seem gimmicky.

Influence (Yourself & Others)
- How to Win Friends & Influence People
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
- The 48 Laws of Power
- The Art of War
- Leader Effectiveness Training
- Get Selected for Special Forces
- The Mystery Method
- Thick Face Black Heart
- A Guide to Rational Living
- Tribes
- Get Anyone to do Anything
- Predictably Irrational
- Cashvertising
- Breakthrough Advertising
- Magical Words that Sell

NLP
- The User's Manual for the Brain Volume I & II
- Mind Lines: Magical Lines to Transform Minds
- Anything by Richard Bandler
- EVERYTHING by Milton Erickson (His focus is actually hypnosis)

Personality Typing
- Personality Types: Using the Enneagram for Self Discovery
- The Wisdom of the Enneagram
- Personality Selling (Mixes NLP, Hypnosis & Personality Typing)

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Probably means they had the most impact on my life.

As for courses, I'm about halfway through the online NLP Practitioner course at iNLP Center. Its $450 and comes with certification at the end (great for empty certificate fields... hint hint.) The material is top notch and utilizes text, audio & video. It's self-paced and easy to understand.

It also has "Stealth Missions" which are assignments you carry out in the real world and report back in the classroom. This way you get direct experience if you've got the kahones to try it.

If any military spouses are reading this, be sure to email iNLP and tell them to get signed up with MYCAA military spouse scholarship program. Its $4,000 of free money. All they have to do is send their accreditation and their curriculum to the MYCAA staff.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.