The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's - How I Bought a $4k Laser and Started an Engraving Side Hustle for Free (super easy)

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Earlier this year I bought a brand new $4,000 laser engraver. Then I started a laser engraving side hustle business. I did all of this without paying anything out of pocket. Here's how...

Laser Engraver.jpg

Step 1 - Choose a Laser (I chose Glowforge)

Step 2 - Get Financing (I used a USAA personal loan)

Step 3 - Order Laser

Step 4 - Learn the Fundamentals of Engraving (practice on free materials they send)

Step 5 - Find Niche Forums/FB Groups and create products they will love

Step 6 - Offer those people the product

Step 7 - Create a YouTube channel

Step 8 - Post some videos about laser engraving as a business (I have 10 I think)

Step 9 - Add laser affiliate link in video description

That's it. My whole process. My monthly laser payment is like $136 and I make anywhere from $120 to $600 in sales per month (I only have one product for sale and only listed on one private forum).

Each month I also make affiliate sales. Last month I made somewhere around $700 in affiliate sales through my YT link and this month I've earned at least $200 in affiliates. I haven't paid anything out of pocket for the laser and my affiliate link is only listed on YT.

I run this as a super low-maintenance side hustle for now. It's not a priority. This exact process could be repeated in the laser market, or with other maker market tools.

You can take this much much further than I've gone and you can do it without a website, without any experience, without a degree, and without any money.

K go do it. No excuses, thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Can you show some stuff you made?

Sure, here's some different things in wood and acrylic. I prefer working with acrylic since it's more clean and I can make lights out of it. Wood is fun too, but more challenging.

Screenshot 2019-04-14 at 7.15.54 PM.pngScreenshot 2019-04-14 at 7.15.31 PM.png Screenshot 2019-04-14 at 7.15.23 PM.png Laser Votive.jpg Laser Coin.jpg Laser Box.jpg Screenshot 2019-04-14 at 7.17.22 PM.png

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Reminds me of Reyes the Entrepreneur, who does this exact model for every non-Fastlane side hustle known to man.

What does he do? He does a side hustle, tells you exactly everything you need to do to do it all for free, then makes a Youtube video telling everyone exactly what he earns.

Then he puts all the stuff you need to start in the description, with an affiliate link. So he makes money 3 ways:
  • Side hustle
  • Affiliate money
  • Youtube ad revenue
Youtube ad revenue became his biggest stream of income but it took him like 5 years and 2 viral videos for that to happen.

No, none of this is Fastlane, but if you're broke and don't know what to do, this is an option.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Awesome initiative. How did it occur to you to go with laser engraving, of all things?

An ad like this:

After I saw the ad I thought...that's F*cking awesome. Then I thought...I need this. Followed by...how do I get it...and justified with...it will pay for itself!

:D

One other thing I really liked about the laser was it could work as an online or offline business. I could have lots of fun selling online or I could sell really localized stuff and dominate the local market through digital marketing because all the local places are terrible at it.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Reminds me of Reyes the Entrepreneur, who does this exact model for every non-Fastlane side hustle known to man.

What does he do? He does a side hustle, tells you exactly everything you need to do to do it all for free, then makes a Youtube video telling everyone exactly what he earns.

Then he puts all the stuff you need to start in the description, with an affiliate link. So he makes money 3 ways:
  • Side hustle
  • Affiliate money
  • Youtube ad revenue
Youtube ad revenue became his biggest stream of income but it took him like 5 years and 2 viral videos for that to happen.

No, none of this is Fastlane, but if you're broke and don't know what to do, this is an option.

Yeah that's pretty similar. I don't have ads on my channel. Not sure if that channel is eligible since it's so small. But I just did some basic "how-to" vids about turning it from hobby into business. After that I stopped posting because I'm really not that into laser engraving. But I checked the channel and I've got around 120+ subs. Been getting 1-4 affiliate commissions per month ranging from $100 to $250 and they can go up as high as $500 per sale I think.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Earlier this year I bought a brand new $4,000 laser engraver. Then I started a laser engraving side hustle business. I did all of this without paying anything out of pocket. Here's how...

View attachment 24379

Step 3 - Order Laser

Step 4 - Learn the Fundamentals of Engraving (practice on free materials they send)

Step 8 - Post some videos about laser engraving as a business (I have 10 I think)

That's it. My whole process. My monthly laser payment is like $136 and I make anywhere from $120 to $600 in sales per month (I only have one product for sale and only listed on one private forum).

Each month I also make affiliate sales. Last month I made somewhere around $700 in affiliate sales through my YT link and this month I've earned at least $200 in affiliates. I haven't paid anything out of pocket for the laser and my affiliate link is only listed on YT.

I run this as a super low-maintenance side hustle for now. It's not a priority. This exact process could be repeated in the laser market, or with other maker market tools.

You can take this much much further than I've gone and you can do it without a website, without any experience, without a degree, and without any money.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

View attachment 24379

Step 3 - Order Laser

As I read this I was hearing the chorus of this tune in my head.

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018

Interesting. You purchased the machine without knowing what market to enter? You just assumed you could enter something and make money?

And are you actually providing the product as well or just engraving service on something existing they already own?

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Interesting. You purchased the machine without knowing what market to enter? You just assumed you could enter something and make money?

Not exactly. I bought the laser to use for my ecommerce idea to create custom products to sell at high prices. I had a market in mind. I assumed that if that didn't work out that I would find another way to use it. It's a laser engraver. How many people do you know with one?

Besides, markets are already established. That's why local engraving shops exist. They target anyone who needs laser engraving. They sell B2C and B2B. The info on who they sell to and what brings them the most money is freely available on Google.

If I want to stand out all I have to do is target a niche. Any niche online. Specific local unfulfilled niches offline.

Coaches - Laser engraved plaques, trophies, gifts
Goths - Grunge leather wallets, pentagram leather bracelets, whatever
Corporate - Desktop name signs, acrylic engraved family photos, meme coffee mug coaster
Religious - Light up cross, wood star of david, religious symbol trinket boxes

Those are just some examples. You just pick a niche. Research them. See what products they might be interested in that don't currently exist. Figure out how to make it. You will be the only person on the planet who sells it and you will be the only laser engraving entrepreneur putting it right in front of them in their forums, Facebook Groups, or even just by showing up for a church sermon and shaking hands with people, letting them know what you do.

And are you actually providing the product as well or just engraving service on something existing they already own?

Mainly a product, though I've taken some custom requests too. For instance, one person asked for a custom sigil that represented their name. They provided the design and I explained how I would make it. I cut a custom piece of wood into the symbol then had to figure out which type of paint to buy to give him the exact right color. Then I had to figure out how to seal the paint so it wouldn't peel or fade.

From there I had to learn how to paint on the fly. I charged more for this product because it was custom. The customer was 100% satisfied although I was a bit uncertain about my paint job. I did the best I could.

Another custom I did was for a business owner who wanted stencils so they could paint their logo on their own custom products. I have the laser and when it comes to customs the market comes to me.

Beyond that I'd rather just have a product designed for a specific audience. No custom work. Here's why:

A Specific Product
  • Is easy to form a process around
  • Is easy to create 1 design and use it over and over
  • Is easy to improve your process with each sale
  • Is easy to figure out what customers like/don't like
  • Is easy to gain materials ahead of time as you gauge sales volume
  • Avoids wasted time on designing
  • Avoids wasted energy on problem solving (after you solve the initial problem)
Bottom line is easy. I don't want to spend hours designing custom products and I don't want to have to think about how to make these creations. I just want to find something I can sell that nobody else sells but somebody really wants (or would really love to have once they discover it exists). Then I want to turn on the laser, push the blue button, and let it make a product that's pretty much ready to ship and put a smile on someone's face.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

View attachment 24379

Step 3 - Order Laser

This. Is. So. Cool !!

No website. No degree. No experience. No money.

It’s a side hustle you could blow up if you wanted.

That’s for leaving breadcrumbs, yet again.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I got a PM about whether this can fit CENTS model. Here was my response (with minor modifications).

Control - Partially. Glowforge isn't the best laser for control since they require you to use their cloud-based service to create your designs. That hasn't bothered me though.

Entry - The lowest priced Glowforge laser is like $2,500. Most people aren't willing to fork out that kind of cash for a good laser even on financing. Most of those who do are hobbyists who aren't trying to make money. They're just following their passion.

Need - The need is any product you can create that is customized for a specific niche. They can't get the product anywhere else because it doesn't exist anywhere else because you created it specifically for that niche.

Time - I made sales within about a month. I'm confident if I were treating this like a serious business I could make it worth my time within 1-6 months of networking/marketing efforts.

Scale - If you want to scale this you'll probably need a more powerful laser, or at least the $6k version of the Glowforge. You can scale by selling laser engraved products to corporate businesses, government, military etc. in bulk. They will pre-pay a lot of money to have someone take care of their awards and stuff for the year.

Glowforge can't engrave metal and also can't engrave things that are curved. Those are two limitations. But it's the best priced laser in the category. There are lower priced lasers, but they also aren't ready to use out of the box. There are higher priced lasers that are more powerful.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
What do you engrave? Is it jewelry, ornaments etc.

This is a very interesting concept.

Mainly wood or acrylic items although there are tons of examples of jewelry and other stuff. If you look up Glowforge on instagram you'll see examples of all kinds of stuff people make. Plus most designs that work for other lasers will work on GF and there are tons of laser design blueprints posted for free all over the internet. So you can take any old design and then customize it for a specific audience and bam...you're in business.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Very, very impressive!

I really like your style of tackling a project/business.

What's the worst that could happen?

FAILURE!

So What?????

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Very, very impressive!

FAILURE!

So What?????
And what’s the best that can happen?

Lex becomes known as “The Glowforge Guy” or “The Lazer Engraving Guy”... not because he’s the best in the world, but because he’s leaving breadcrumbs and people are following.

Who knows where that could go.

How many folks would buy a course to learn how to engrave better? Or buy the materials? Or the blueprints?

How many would buy a course on how to get clients for their budding laser engraving business? How to setup their Etsy store? How to write their product listings?

Who would they buy their kit and blueprints from?

Lex could provide a business in a box for the creatives out there who want to “escape the 9-5”, but don’t want to do it copywriting (for example)...

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
And what’s the best that can happen?

Lex becomes known as “The Glowforge Guy” or “The Lazer Engraving Guy”... not because he’s the best in the world, but because he’s leaving breadcrumbs and people are following.

Who knows where that could go.

How many folks would buy a course to learn how to engrave better? Or buy the materials? Or the blueprints?

How many would buy a course on how to get clients for their budding laser engraving business? How to setup their Etsy store? How to write their product listings?

Who would they buy their kit and blueprints from?

Lex could provide a business in a box for the creatives out there who want to “escape the 9-5”, but don’t want to do it copywriting (for example)...

There's going to be so much opportunity for stuff like this going forward. Not just with lasers but with ANY tool that makes the leap from industrial services into mass market.

I can't even imagine how many opportunities will happen like this just in the next 3-5 years. How many manufacturing processes will be brought to the hobbyist level at hobbyist prices?

Drilling, cutting, water cutting, stamping, packaging, hell even creating custom-designed clothing. And if anyone wants a simple formula for grabbing up these opportunities...here you go:

1) www.kickstarter.com
2) Look at projects that will revolutionize an industry that are going to get funded
3) Buy-in

Then just follow the process I outlined above with the laser and be the first one to do it. Then you can position yourself as the first in the market.

Everyone who types "How to start a whatever business" will find your videos or blog posts or however you end up marketing yourself because you'll be the only one there.

So even if you don't do this with the laser. There are a million other opportunities that are about to hit the market in the exact same way as what I described here.

The cool thing is, if you can make people feel confident that the item will pay for itself by proving that it can...then they'll feel more comfortable putting in the investment for it, and grateful that you had an affiliate discount code that saved them a couple hundred bucks.

rjrobbins2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 20, 2019
Kansas City, MO
This is genuis. Maker culture is huge and only getting bigger. One of the library systems here in KC just added a Maker Center. They have a laser engraver, 3D printers, a sound booth/studio, green screen room, laser cutter and one of those wall printers were you can print a large poster or image on material that hangs on the wall. You have to book at least a couple of weeks in advance or take a chance that someone does show up and wait.

I remember reading an article about the future of 3D printing several years ago and thinking I could do something with it. Now, they are working on 3D printing houses and even organs.

Engraving is such a simple concept but lots of people would want it even people who doesnt realize that they would.

How long does it take to engrave something? You could almost set up a booth at a retail center and engrave things like dog tags, trophy plates and other things for a day or pay to get a table at a festival or conference to engrave stuff for people. I bet people would love plates for their luggage or laptop bags.

I wish I had the funds to invest in something like this.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This is genuis. Maker culture is huge and only getting bigger. One of the library systems here in KC just added a Maker Center. They have a laser engraver, 3D printers, a sound booth/studio, green screen room, laser cutter and one of those wall printers were you can print a large poster or image on material that hangs on the wall. You have to book at least a couple of weeks in advance or take a chance that someone does show up and wait.

I remember reading an article about the future of 3D printing several years ago and thinking I could do something with it. Now, they are working on 3D printing houses and even organs.

Engraving is such a simple concept but lots of people would want it even people who doesnt realize that they would.

How long does it take to engrave something? You could almost set up a booth at a retail center and engrave things like dog tags, trophy plates and other things for a day or pay to get a table at a festival or conference to engrave stuff for people. I bet people would love plates for their luggage or laptop bags.

Instead of saying “I wish I had the funds”, try asking yourself “How can I get the funds?”

The part that didn’t occur to me was getting a loan, and then getting the revenue to more than cover the loan. (My dad was Scottish and a loan is a four letter word up there.)

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

Takes anywhere from 5-30 minutes to cut the pre-made designs I sell. Otherwise it takes longer because of time spent designing.

The minimum you need is like $300 for a laser on Amazon. You can get a Glowforge for around $2500 and you can finance either of these options so you don't pay anything out of pocket. It's not a matter of wishing.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Guys/Girls...

If you have a question about this side hustle/business model, please ask it in this thread. I will not be answering questions about lasers by PM. That isn't valuable for me. It isn't valuable for the forum. Ask your questions here if you want them answered.

And no, you do not need a business license to get this started. Buy laser. Sell engravings. Purchase business license with laser profits. The business license police aren't going to kick down your doors for your side hustle. If you're selling online, they won't even know you exist for a while.

rjrobbins2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 20, 2019
Kansas City, MO
Instead of saying “I wish I had the funds”, try asking yourself “How can I get the funds?”

The part that didn’t occur was getting a loan, and then getting the revenue to more than cover the loan. (My dad was Scottish and a loan is a four letter word up there.)

That is a fair point but I am unable to obtain a loan and funds I earn in the short-term will be going towards other, forthcoming expenses.

So, to be more specific, I wish to grow my income so that buying something like this wouldn't even be an issue or something I have to think long about. I could just do it. Not there yet.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
That is a fair point but I am unable to obtain a loan and funds I earn in the short-term will be going towards other, forthcoming expenses.

So, to be more specific, I wish to grow my income so that buying something like this wouldn't even be an issue or something I have to think long about. I could just do it. Not there yet.

While I highly doubt that is true, and while there are other ways to finance something like this...it isn't my place to push you to take action. I just lay out step-by-step paths. It's up to everyone else to do something with it or not.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Very, very impressive!

FAILURE!

So What?????

I don't think you can fail at this. There's so much possibility and my mind's racing!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.