The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's - Journey To Doctor

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Just finished my final assignments for the first class. I scored slightly lower than expected on my final exam with a 92/100, but my grades from previous assignments brought my overall class score up to over 94/100. There are two assignments that have not yet been graded, so as long as I didn't completely f those up, I should pass my first class with a 93. One class down, two to go before Psi Chi. Onward to advanced statistics!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Got my final grade today. Apparently, I got a perfect score on the last assignment. So I ended up with a 94.45% and successfully survived my first doctoral class. There's a week long break before advanced statistics starts. One down, two to go before that next big milestone. Woosah.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Things are off to a poor start in advanced statistics.

I forgot about a course requirements quiz and by the time I remembered it, I was several hours behind the due date. So I was late. I scored 10/10 points, and it doesn't appear any points were removed for lateness.

Then I took this week's open-book quiz. It was extremely hard. Even though it was open-book I couldn't look up the answers.

Virtually all of the questions were word puzzles and there was a time limit. Despite reviewing the week's material and using up most of the 90 minutes, I only managed 36 out of 50... so a F*cking 72%. Wow. I basically failed.

What's worse is the quiz doesn't explain why the answers were incorrect. It doesn't provide correct answers either. So I didn't understand the questions or didn't interpret them correctly, but there is no way to correct my mistakes except to review the material and try to understand what I failed to understand the first time... FML

College is horse shit.

I still have multiple assignments due this week.

My frustration levels are at an all-time high.

hobbsie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Sep 16, 2021
All I really want is to be a successful Seattle-based psychotherapy radio talk show host.

How hard can it be? :D

source.gif
Love that show!

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Things are off to a poor start in advanced statistics.

I forgot about a course requirements quiz and by the time I remembered it, I was several hours behind the due date. So I was late. I scored 10/10 points, and it doesn't appear any points were removed for lateness.

Then I took this week's open-book quiz. It was extremely hard. Even though it was open-book I couldn't look up the answers.

Virtually all of the questions were word puzzles and there was a time limit. Despite reviewing the week's material and using up most of the 90 minutes, I only managed 36 out of 50... so a F*cking 72%. Wow. I basically failed.

What's worse is the quiz doesn't explain why the answers were incorrect. It doesn't provide correct answers either. So I didn't understand the questions or didn't interpret them correctly, but there is no way to correct my mistakes except to review the material and try to understand what I failed to understand the first time... FML

College is horse shit.

I still have multiple assignments due this week.

My frustration levels are at an all-time high.
Are you able to see the professor to go through the mistakes you made? Colleges often do "office hours" or tutorials you can book with instructors / professors...

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Are you able to see the professor to go through the mistakes you made? Colleges often do "office hours" or tutorials you can book with instructors / professors...
Yes, that is what I am doing. First, I'm reviewing all of the material to try and come up with the correct answers on my own. But then I will present that to the professor to confirm or get an additional explanation.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Well, I think I've correctly solved each problem I missed. One of them was missed due to an oversight. I didn't read the question carefully enough. If I had, I would've known the answer.

In review, almost all of the other questions could be considered oversights now that I've reviewed the material. I think part of the challenge was the added pressure of the time limit.

For example:

Are you happy, yes or no? This should be a nominal scale of measurement since it only presents identity (happy or not happy). It's like saying do you identify as "Republican or Democrat?" It is not a measure of magnitude (how happy are you?), so it should not be an ordinal scale of measure.

Productivity, on the other hand, measured as "higher" or "lower" should be ordinal instead of nominal because it does present magnitude. You do not identify as higher or lower. You score higher or lower, so there is a ranking order.

Grr, it seems silly in reflection, but I didn't go deep enough with my thought process. Probably due to worrying about spending too much time per question.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Well, I think I've correctly solved each problem I missed.

After getting feedback from my instructor, I resolved all problems correctly except the first one.

The more significant issue is I don't know that I could have solved these problems within the 90-minute timeframe even if I had paid greater attention to detail.

It took longer than 90 minutes to come up with my revised answers for the 7 questions because I had to spend time on research and comprehension.

I don't have a solid strategy for how to survive this class yet. Given enough time, I can solve the problems. But under the pressure of a clock, I struggle, because I need time to work through everything, review my notes, and connect all of the dots.

Even after reviewing, I still concluded an incorrect answer for the first problem.

If I don't find a better way to prepare for these damn tests, I may have to push my PSI CHI application back a class. Grr.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Given enough time, I can solve the problems. But under the pressure of a clock, I struggle,
Kind of like entrepreneurship and life…

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This second statistics class is a real slog.

With last week's assignments, plus a better score on this week's exam, I've raised my grade from a 76% to 89.05%.

Assuming I did this week's homework correctly, then I should enter next week with a 90% or higher which will put me back into the A-range.

The work is tiresome. I'm getting burned out on statistics. Sick of word puzzles. Sick of equations. Blah.

The next class is on theological perspectives in psychology. I have no idea what to expect from that. I'm curious to see how religion/spirituality and psychology come together.

If nothing else, the subject material should be interesting.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
With all the work that you've been doing, you probably have the work ethic of all the students in your class combined and then still some.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
With all the work that you've been doing, you probably have the work ethic of all the students in your class combined and then still some.
Indeed. And that's just for this progress thread...

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
As we move deeper into statistics, the class is showing its true colors. Almost everyone waits for the last minute to post anything. Some have no sense of reading comprehension.

One strange new development is some students write with an air of superiority. They purposely use big/fancy words, and I'm not sure if it's because they're retarded or they actually talk that way. Personally, I do not find them superior, just annoying.

One of those students quoted the Bible in response to my post. When she cited the bible...what a coincidence?! She has the EXACT same Bible by the same publisher with the same publication year as the one I quoted in my own post?! OR... she copied my citation because she didn't know how to cite the Bible/didn't want to dig out the information for her own Bible.

Beyond that, the coursework hasn't been bad. I wish the schools would show a comparison of student grades. That would be more fun and would promote competition among students to work harder.
This bothers me. These students consciously chose to get a Ph.D, and they don't even try to write proper grammar ?
From the reports you gave, 95% percent of students barely even try to do good work...
We are not in high school anymore !! And these should become DOCTORS and THERAPISTS ??
Ok, some parents force kids to choose a specific school. But most of them ? Come on.
No wonder why quiet quitting is so popular.

/Rant over

Anyways, love this post. Great read.
Honestly it inspires me than most other gold post. Maybe because of the school environment, and I can relate more to it.
And the right mindset and hard work, like you said, show in this case clear results, which are top grades and performance.
It shows me how the right mindset can make you successful at ANYTHING.
Thanks !

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I've clawed my way back to a 91.15% (A) in class.

Mom came over the other night. She asked how classes were going and I gave her an update.

She said, "You know, you don't have to get an A every time."

I know it, but I don't see the point in college if I'm not there to be the best I can be.

She doesn't understand that mindset though. For her, college was just a path to a raise. Something she had to check off her to-do list for a promotion.

For me, it's about being someone who was a failure piece of shit in high school holding the first Ph.D. in the family. It's about rising to new heights against all odds because I can.

I don't want to come to the end of my life, look back and say, "I should've did that."

Just... "I did that."

I'm at the halfway point in this class. 1.5 classes remain until the next big milestone.

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021

Mom came over the other night. She asked how classes were going and I gave her an update.

I know it, but I don't see the point in college if I'm not there to be the best I can be.

She doesn't understand that mindset though. For her, college was just a path to a raise. Something she had to check off her to-do list for a promotion.

For me, it's about being someone who was a failure piece of shit in high school holding the first Ph.D. in the family. It's about rising to new heights against all odds because I can.

I don't want to come to the end of my life, look back and say, "I should've did that."

Just... "I did that."

I'm at the halfway point in this class. 1.5 classes remain until the next big milestone.
You will be an awesome example to your entire family !
That's the fastlane way of doing things.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Just... "I did that."

The diversity of your drive is extremely impressive, I salute you.

Is this full time or are you still grinding your other stuff?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
The diversity of your drive is extremely impressive, I salute you.

Is this full time or are you still grinding your other stuff?
The course workload is full-time and I also do other stuff. I launched a business idea a week or so ago in the INSIDERS area.

So far, it has generated around $500, and I'm aiming for my first $1,000 in the first month.

I'm working with 2 copywriting clients on the side. Everything else is mostly on autopilot at this point with the exception of the occasional freelance coaching client and making some YouTube videos.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
The course workload is full-time and I also do other stuff. I launched a business idea a week or so ago in the INSIDERS area.

So far, it has generated around $500, and I'm aiming for my first $1,000 in the first month.

I'm working with 2 copywriting clients on the side. Everything else is mostly on autopilot at this point with the exception of the occasional freelance coaching client and making some YouTube videos.

Wow, just wow. I aspire to these astronomic levels of productivity.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Wow, just wow. I aspire to these astronomic levels of productivity.
The secret is have a kid. Then it's do or die haha.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 27, 2016
I respect your dedication to this as a PhD myself.

I had no responsibilities while I was doing my PhD and it felt easier than my bachelor's and master's. In fact, it sponsored my other aspiration at that frame of time. (chasing skirt) :)

The system in USA is different though, you have to pass exams etc. In Europe, if the professor wants you as a researcher, it is really a piece of cake to get a PhD.

On top of that, I was paid a good employee salary.

If you enjoy what you research, go for it.

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021

What does your schedule look while doing this ? From what I read copywriting takes a few hours a week, and the other businesses ? Studying ?
Working out ?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
What does your schedule look while doing this ? From what I read copywriting takes a few hours a week, and the other businesses ? Studying ?
Working out ?
I wake up between 2-3 am.

Mon - Wed I read/watch/review class content as soon as I wake up. When I'm done with that, I dive into any copywriting while my mind is fresh. On Thursday, I start class assignments for the week.

Saturday and Sunday are my get serious days for homework. I'll take the whole day on both days if I need to in order to do my homework correctly and pass exams.

On Sat. and Sun. my ex has visitation with our daughter, so I'm not distracted by my duties as a parent.

On weekdays my school work and client work are done before 7 am when my daughter wakes up.

The rest of the day (weekdays), I move to the living room and work from the couch on a laptop on my own projects. These don't require as much mental energy since they're fueled by my own passion/interests.

Workouts are usually around 7:30 to 8:30 am after I get my daughter breakfast or in the afternoon while she's at school.

I usually take coaching calls in the morning after 9 am and client calls in the afternoon before 4 pm. Client calls are only on two days a week.

One thing that works in my favor is 10 years experience working in the online systems I use. I can mostly set the backend stuff up on autopilot. The first time I used ActiveCampaign to build an email automation it took forever because everything was so confusing.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Christ on a bike! What time do you go to sleep?

I'm usually in bed by 8 - 8:30. I try not to wake up before 3 am, but the time change is screwing that up. 7 hours is my sweet spot for sleep.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I'm on the downward slope for Statistics II.

My research study is going well.

A gap in my notes resulted in an incorrect statistical test selection that cost a few points on my latest assignment. Thankfully, perfect scores on my three latest exams made up the difference.

My grade has risen from the dead to just under 93%.

Three weeks remain.

This week looks fairly straightforward.

Next week will be more difficult.

The final week will not be the hardest, but the final assignment is worth more points than any other assignment, so it will be the most daunting.

Thankfully, the next class should be easier and I'll finally have breathing room again.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I've submitted my final assignment of Statistics II.

I have a 93.8% and I'm awaiting two grades before I know how it all ends. Whatever happens... Good riddance.

So happy to be done with statistics for a while. So happy to be on break until the 16th of next month!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've submitted my final assignment of Statistics II.

I have a 93.8% and I'm awaiting two grades before I know how it all ends. Whatever happens... Good riddance.

So happy to be done with statistics for a while. So happy to be on break until the 16th of next month!
I feel you. The only maths I want to do now is calculate CPC, CPA, and ROAS. Nice simple stuff.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I survived statistics II with a 92.92%. Not particularly happy with that score, but it's still an A so I maintain a 4.0. Thank F*ck that's over. I'm on break until January 16th. Talk about a "great reset." Just what the doctor ordered.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.