The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Self-Promotion Saturday Now Live!

Have something to sell? Want to promote your design service or a YouTube channel? SELL-ME SATURDAY is your opportunity to self-promote anything within the sphere of entrepreneurship on one thread... and at no cost. Go There
    Note: Indiscriminate SEO backlinking to questionable material is not allowed.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

EXECUTION Lex DeVille's - Journey To Doctor

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Andy Black

Dad, husband, entrepreneur.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Research design is rough. I'm hanging in there thanks to an F-ton of reading. A couple days ago the instructor sent an email:

View attachment 33972

Pretty cool getting a note like that. This is one of the harder classes I've taken and the instructor has high standards. I also got invited to another honor society. That email came through this morning.

View attachment 33973

There's another honor society, the Sigma Nu Tau entrepreneur society, which I'm not eligible for because I'm not enrolled in a business program haha.

One benefit of joining honor societies is the potential for scholarship access. Although, I may not be eligible for scholarships based on the color of my skin these days.

In total, I have four classes left before I finish the Master's (or whatever woke term we're using).

I'm starting to think about how I'll use the M.A. in business. An M.A. isn't the end goal, but it's still a valuable credibility marker. Looking forward to entering the doctoral program.

Sadly, I fear I'll earn that PhD only to be stripped of it at some future point due to perceived inequality between people who earn degrees and society's dredges. This will likely be the catalyst that propels me fully into a supervillain identity where the only path left is to carry out plans for world domination.
Well done @Lex DeVille. It’s easy getting on the radar of the powers to be: help them help their audience/market/customers/etc. Better yet, be *seen* to help them. Super easy. I don’t know why more people don’t do it.

Meh to academia. You can’t join an entrepreneur society because you’re not taking a business class? What kind of weird thinking is that? Seriously, their loss, and they don’t even know how much they’re missing out.

I say go for super villainy world domination at the same time.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Well done @Lex DeVille. It’s easy getting on the radar of the powers to be: help them help their audience/market/customers/etc. Better yet, be *seen* to help them. Super easy. I don’t know why more people don’t do it.

Meh to academia. You can’t join an entrepreneur society because you’re not taking a business class? What kind of weird thinking is that? Seriously, their loss, and they don’t even know how much they’re missing out.

I say go for super villainy world domination at the same time.
I find this weird as well.
In my university, you could join any club you wanted, regardless of your department.
And certain business units like Social Entrepreneurship and Experiential Learning (in my university) also allowed non-business students to take them.

In my investment club, there were folks from business, health sciences, IT...no red tape for participation.

A few clubs even offered membership cards that enabled you to get discounts from nearby eateries and outlets, but I never used them.

OP
OP
Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows from Dreams
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
The Underground
I've got several updates since the last time I wrote.

Research Design is Actually Interesting
The more I read, the more apparent it becomes that it is extremely easy for unscrupulous researchers funded by interested parties to manipulate data in support of different positions.

The general public is too lazy to read research studies. Some people read the studies, but they face complicated long-form scientific jargon which is difficult for the average reader to decipher.

Assuming they make their way through the jargon, they then face statistics that require strong mathematical skills to interpret.

Even if someone made it through all of that, there would be other matters to consider, including the research model and design, sampling method, data analysis, and even questions, thoughts and ideas that are misleading, or have been overlooked on purpose or left out for other reasons.

In other words, you need to be an expert at critiquing research to really know if any given research provides valid results or presents useful evidence to support some theory or hypothesis.

The Struggle for an A
I'm hanging in there with Research Design. The instructor said several are failing the class. Apparently, I'm 1 of 3 people with an A. There are only two weeks left.

This class has sparked an interest in going deeper with critiquing methods. I reached out to three past instructors and my current instructor for resources. All responded. Some with better resources than others.

Asking for resources serves multiple purposes. First, asking for small favors is an established persuasive technique. Second, asking for resources shows I care about the field. Third, it keeps my name in front of important instructors who may offer letters of recommendation later on.

Doctoral Path
My path changes weekly it seems. I've come up with numerous reasons why Ashford's PSYD program is the best option for me. The one reason I challenge that position is the future ramifications of earning a doctoral degree through a completely online school.

Assuming I critique the work of others, which may include challenging their credibility, it would be easy for others to challenge my credibility based on a doctoral degree from a non-traditional, non-GRE, non-APA-accredited (although regionally accredited) school.

So I'm reflecting on this now. Maybe I should reconsider taking the GRE and applying to more reputable schools. Drawbacks to this are potentially extending the time it takes to earn a degree, as well as increasing the overall weekly time-commitment. One benefit is the degree may be paid for completely, so there's that.

OP
OP
Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows from Dreams
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
The Underground
Research & Design
I finished Research and Design and maintained an A. I reached out to the instructor with a thank you message after the course was over. She seemed to appreciate the thought and noted that most students send hate mail (due to failing the class).

Psychological Testing & Assessment
I'm entering the third week of Psychological Testing and Assessment. So far the class is going well. The subject matter is interesting and complex, but I'm doing fine. Last week we had to create a children's picture book as an assignment. Oddly enough, I have experience in that area which came in handy.

University Conversion
Apparently Ashford was purchased by the University of Arizona and is in the process of being converted from a for-profit to a non-profit school. This news came out of nowhere, but it's welcome. I would much rather have a degree from the University of Arizona than Ashford. It adds a great deal of credibility.

GRE Back On
I don't know if I'll switch schools for the doctoral program, but I decided to take the GRE anyway. At least that will open my options. I purchased Magoosh membership and will study over 3 months before testing. That way it's not too far out, and also will be done before it's time to apply for PhD programs in December-January. Probably the biggest complaint with Ashford is the no-GRE entrance. Without a GRE requirement, the quality of the average student is low.

Clinical Psychology
Since I'm taking the GRE, I will probably apply to a few clinical psychology programs. I'm still not sure that's the path I want to take, but I'd like to keep options open there as well. Several sources have stated that Clinical Psychology is the most competitive degree path in existence, more so than medical or law school. I think I can get in.

3 Courses to Go.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 2, 2012
Cary, NC
A good read Lex, and congrats on taking this on with the intentions of being number 1. Good on you for doing exactly what the f*ck you want to do even if some on here don't agree with it. Go forth and prosper!

LordGanon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
Congrats, man. It's rewarding academically, and since you don't want to make this your career, good for you.

Economically, the only benefits I got out of my PhD so far are:

- people of the older generation look at you in a completely different light, to them, being a "doctor" means something.

- Need a doctor's appointment or are in the hospital? They automatically assume you are a medical doctor, you have no waiting time, and they'll double check your case because they don't want to get sued.

- Ran into the police again? There's one thing cops understand, and that's rank. It's really interesting to see them treating you as a common peasant and the different way they treat you after they checked your ID. Probably also because they know that it is actually a misdemeanor in Germany to not address someone with a PhD as "Doctor". To their defense: Given my appearance in non-professional contexts, I, as a cop, would probably assume worse things about me, too.

- And, of course, I now have the right to apply for all public research funds. But when you're not employed at the university, there isn't much chance they'll be granted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Just bought 5 of your Upwork courses. Thanks for making valuable content Lex!
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I've just concluded my program with Kyle. The incubator gave me what I wanted. Now, working on a...
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Thanks for the detailed response. I see it similar, in the beginning, you have only a small...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks for your offer to look at my book. Here's the link to the squeeze page Buy The Prosperous...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
The day I can afford to pay 800 a month to have someone keep me accountable is the day I've won...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom