The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

Entrepreneur21

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Aug 6, 2014
Denmark
This thread is awesome and filled with so much value. You really embody the "give before you can receive" mindset. I have been studying copywriting for a couple months with the intent of freelancing and kept thinking I needed to learn more, but your thread has convinced me to "JUST SHUT UP AND GO DO IT"

Made an Odesk account yesterday and will begin to look for ways that I can add value ASAP.

Funny thing is that I think in some way we all know that we have to give value to receive, I went on Odesk a couple weeks back and searched for copywriters to find out what others were doing, and I could almost feel that I could do it better than them. Not because I had more skill but because something was "off" about their profiles. I now know, thanks to you, that what I felt was that they weren't focused on the needs of the client but on themselves. And if I can feel it so can the clients.

Thanks for this thread.

Fascinating how well people respond to giving, there are so many takers in the world that it is refreshing to find someone like you who are putting themselves out there.
You are right, this thread is not about copywriting, it is about putting yourself aside and just giving instead of being a leaching little slug(value taker).

Cheers man

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
I looked into doing some work on ODesk, the first hurdle I encountered was that my quota was stuck at 0. I did a little research, couldn't find any solutions that worked. Quickly gave up.

After reading this thread, I went back to ODesk. Came across the same hurdle, took consistent borderline harassment of opening tickets for them to fix the issue. Finally was fixed today. Able to start applying for work now, thanks for providing that inspiration @SinisterLex

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I looked into doing some work on ODesk, the first hurdle I encountered was that my quota was stuck at 0. I did a little research, couldn't find any solutions that worked. Quickly gave up.

After reading this thread, I went back to ODesk. Came across the same hurdle, took consistent borderline harassment of opening tickets for them to fix the issue. Finally was fixed today. Able to start applying for work now, thanks for providing that inspiration @SinisterLex

Way to keep at it! Sometimes persistence really pays off. ;)

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Join the Bomb Squad. Disarm and De-Escalate Angry Clients Before They Explode.

No matter how hard you try, you can't please everyone. Sometimes you get clients who don't like something about the product or service you deliver. When this happens, they start asking for change after change, and the result can end up wasting a lot of your time.

The problem is you have to give in to their every demand or risk damaging your reputation. Even the slightest counter-productive comment by you could set them off, so you have to be really careful.

So how do you diffuse a bomb anyway?

Step 1: Have Patience & Presence

The first step is patience, because it's how you buy time. Never lose your cool. If you get an email you don't like, (like a breakdown of what they hate about your copy) just put it aside and let it sit for a while. Think about other things. Wait until you're calm and can approach with the right mindset.

If you screw with it while you're angry, you'll miss the underlying issue. You have to be present to read between the lines. When we're angry we aren't present. We're internal. We're wrapped up in our primitive thoughts and feelings - swept out by a tidelwave of adrenaline & fight or flight syndrome.

Have the patience to deal with problems when you're calm and present.

Step 2: Keep an Open Mind

Yes, you've labeled yourself, "professional" or "expert" at what you do, so that means you've gotta be right 100% of the time, right? Wrong. Chances are your clients know their customers better than you, so when they give you suggestions or offer advice, it's not because they hate your copy.

It's because it didn't read the way they need it to read for their market. This is their business. Their baby. They're putting a lot of trust in your hands that you won't blow it. If you're really a professional, then you'll keep an open mind so you can see through the anger and drama to the clear-cut answer on the other side. Usually it's something simple.

They don't hate you. It's not personal. Your copy just isn't what they need... yet.

Step 3: Diffuse Anger with Acceptance & Agreement

Let's say you let them get the best of you. Things are already a bit heated and you've had a few back and forths. They're not accepting your ideas, and you think they're a moron. Well, this is where patience & presence comes back to save the day.

Remember, patience buys time so you can calm down and think clearly. Presence allows you to read between the lines to see the best course of action. You'll need both to rise above your ego and fix the problem.

If they're already angry, then there's one super simple tactic that works every time. Avoid arguing in the first place. Okay, that's not what I was gonna say, but it works too. But seriously, if they're already angry, then you have to accept that it's not personal, accept that they're a person with thoughts and feelings and agree with them on some element of the issue.

Who cares if they're wrong. You're an influencer, aren't you? So influence!

Find something you can agree with them on, and then say the words, "I agree with you on this..." avoid following with the word, "but..." But suggests you don't actually agree. Instead, replace it with "and..." this is a linking word that maintains the flow and energy instead of blocking it up again.

Compare these examples:

"Tom, I agree this sentence is over the top, but I think we can use it."

"Tom, I agree this sentence is over the top, and I think we can approach from another angle."

Buts show you're holding to your position. And gives you ways to work around issues.

The words I agree instantly disarms them since the only reason they're arguing is because they want to feel right. Why not let them?

They put their ego on the line, so even if they're wrong, they won't back down. Instead, you have to give them a way to bow out gracefully by letting them think they're not completely wrong.

If it turns out you're wrong, then agreement still works because it lets you reverse your position in the most direct way possible. They won't hate you for challenging them if you say I agree. Instead, they'll love you for being open-minded enough to see things from their perspective. Plus it makes them feel good too.

Step 4: Sign a Peace Treaty

Once you agree with them, the conflict ends. Think about it, how can their be conflict if you're in agreement? You agree. There's nothing to conflict about.

However, if it turns out you were wrong about something, make sure you admit it up front. Don't beat around the bush. Forget your stupid ego. State it loud and proud, and make it personal.

"Hey Tom, thanks for having so much patience with me. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. It's difficult to see minor mistakes when you're so close to the project. Having your outside perspective really helped."

What did you just do? You thanked him. You humbled yourself. You gave him a feeling of power. You made him the authority. You made him feel good. You've appealed to his good nature.

Now he respects you. He's no longer angry. The bomb is diffused.

Most people deflect responsibility. As Fastlaners we already know about this mentality. We can't afford this mentality. But if we accept responsibility for our actions, we have a chance to make such a big impression on our clients, they'll leave good feedback, and spread the word, even if your product wasn't exactly what they wanted.

How to Diffuse a Bomb?

Patience & Presence
Keep an Open Mind
Acceptance & Agreement
Admit When You're Wrong

Try it. It you do it right it works every time. You'll never have to worry about angry clients again.

Just Do It.

BrenndenK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
Jul 11, 2013
Can't wait to be done grinding out this week at work so I can start freelancing fulltime. Got 1 day off this week. Then I'm off forever!

Then the real work begins and I work harder than I ever have in my life. I may not make much the first month, but I'm sure I'll start making decent money the second month in. My goal is $1500/mo to replace my dayjob income, but I'm sure I can do more than that.

Thank you a million times for this thread Lex. I'll find a way to pay it forward once I'm more experienced.

RichyV

Death Is Winning. Do Something.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 31, 2014
Step 1: Have Patience & Presence

The first step is patience, because it's how you buy time. Never lose your cool. If you get an email you don't like, (like a breakdown of what they hate about your copy) just put it aside and let it sit for a while. Think about other things. Wait until you're calm and can approach with the right mindset.

If you screw with it while you're angry, you'll miss the underlying issue. You have to be present to read between the lines. When we're angry we aren't present. We're internal. We're wrapped up in our primitive thoughts and feelings - swept out by a tidelwave of adrenaline & fight or flight syndrome.

Have the patience to deal with problems when you're calm and present.

Sound advice and something I experienced first hand on Fiverr. I put hours and hours of work into an phone case for a customer, to my eye it looked great. I sent over the finals and in return I got an essay of abuse and things they hated and wanted changing. All were things they should have specified in the initial brief and things I even asked about, meaning 8+ hours of my time was wasted. In the moment of fury of this customer I opened up MS paint, drew an iPhone with a pencil tool and wrote "F*** You" on the screen. I opened up the re-deliver work box, uploaded it and was about to hit send.. then luckily I just walked away from the computer instead. After work I came back to it, calm and sent a polite email explaining how I felt. The customer emailed back an understanding email and after a bit of back and forth I ended up salvaging some of the money for the gig with no negative feedback on good terms- a great outcome considering.

Goes for most situations in life. Walk away when you are angry, re-approach it when you are calm and thinking clear.

I'm learning a lot from your advice man, thank you! Keep it coming :)

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Sound advice and something I experienced first hand on Fiverr. I put hours and hours of work into an phone case for a customer, to my eye it looked great. I sent over the finals and in return I got an essay of abuse and things they hated and wanted changing. All were things they should have specified in the initial brief and things I even asked about, meaning 8+ hours of my time was wasted. In the moment of fury of this customer I opened up MS paint, drew an iPhone with a pencil tool and wrote "F*** You" on the screen. I opened up the re-deliver work box, uploaded it and was about to hit send.. then luckily I just walked away from the computer instead. After work I came back to it, calm and sent a polite email explaining how I felt. The customer emailed back an understanding email and after a bit of back and forth I ended up salvaging some of the money for the gig with no negative feedback on good terms- a great outcome considering.

Goes for most situations in life. Walk away when you are angry, re-approach it when you are calm and thinking clear.

I'm learning a lot from your advice man, thank you! Keep it coming :)

Haha, that's hilarious, but I totally feel you!

Almost worth sending just for the reaction. :D

I'm sure we've all had moments like this.

Pour our heart and soul into something, then someone tells us it's shit. We're like wtf?!?! Face goes red, sound drowns out, world starts shaking.

There's no way to think straight when we're like that. But sleep it off, and look with fresh eyes. Everything changes.

JDRose

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 15, 2015
I feel like everything @SinisterLex has put in this thread, I should print out, post on my mirror, and read excellence every time I look into it. I have learned things from this thread that would take me two weeks to read worth of books.

BTW I personally know him, and he is the reason I am changing the way I do things. If you think this thread is helpful, just imagine sitting across the table from him and listening to what he has to say haha

Good job bud, keep it up!!

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Got a question I think others will benefit from if just starting this as well.

Applied for a job, got a message with instructions, the client wants me to download software from a dropbox file and use the software for the work.

Are there employers on ODesk trying to get people to download virus's and trojans? In other words could it be a scam? Not familiar with how "safe and secure" ODesk is.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hey man,

The internet is never 100% secure, but my experience has been that most clients work through dropbox. It's a fast way to share files back and forth.

Viruses probably aren't likely, but you should always do your due diligence in researching clients.

Look at his Odesk history. What's his feedback like? How much has he paid out to other freelancers? How many people has he hired?

These are all clues to whether he's a good outsourcer or not.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Some clients believe you can control the minds of prospects with the words you use. They believe in manipulation for personal gain, though they’ll never say it aloud.
For someone in the same mindset as you, can see through the b.s. obviously there's brain washing in power. MLM, Cults, etc. Persuade and manipulate people all the time with power of persuasion/ power of suggestion and belief. Obviously only a percent of the population sees through the b.s. the majority obviously doesn't see through it, which is why people are so easily manipulated to buy things or get wound up in groups. So words are powerful and even in the art of seduction/domestic abuse etc. Words can be used for the power of belief, it's just like flipping a switch on and off.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Are there employers on ODesk trying to get people to download virus's and trojans? In other words could it be a scam? Not familiar with how "safe and secure" ODesk is.

No clue about Odesk, but you could run the program in sandboxie or something similar. It is supposed to make a sandbox area on your harddrive and doesn't let things installed in it affect anything outside the sandbox.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Organized Chaos
How to Build a 600 Horsepower Supercar
I don't know jack shit about building cars. I can do basic stuff like changing oil, or swapping an exhaust, but anything more than that, and I get lost in the mechanics.

But if I was gonna build a car, I'll tell you where I wouldn't start. I wouldn't start with a big heaping pile of parts. I wouldn't try wrenching them together without any kind of direction. If I didn't even know what kind of car I was building...if I didn't have a clue what it looked like...then this would be a huge waste of time.

Professional Supercar Builders Start the Same Place You Do.

Nobody builds a car by slapping parts together and calling it good. It doesn't make any sense. It's not logical. If they did, they'd end up with a big hunk of bolted metal, and it sure as hell wouldn't drive.

Professional Supercar Builders don't start with parts. They start with an idea. Then they take that idea and intensify it into a vision. They draw it out on paper and conceptualize. They list the specs, safety features, comforts, & luxuries, and then when they know exactly what they want to build - when they have a crystal clear picture of the end result...

...then they build it.

They take that idea - that vision, and they gather only the parts needed to make the dream come true. They don't waste time figuring out what works and what doesn't. They use tried and true methods to get to where they're going. Maybe it takes a few years to bring it to life, but it happens as fast as humanly possible.

Professional Supercar Builders start with a clear picture of the end result. Then they take specific actions to bring that result to life. Fear doesn't stop them. They already know a supercar can be built because it's already been done many times. Process doesn't stop them either, because established processes already exist, even if their supercar does not.

Why Professional Supercar Builders Get Results Every Time...

Supercars don't always turn out exactly like the vision. They're modified a lot during the building & design process, and sometimes entire concepts are scrapped when it turns out it wasn't as awesome as they thought. But the end result is almost always the same... a brand new supercar eventually stands before them.

Regardless of how many changes it takes, the supercar still gets built. The general process - the steps to take - the tools they'll need to get the job done - those things stay pretty much the same. Even when the final car doesn't turn out exactly like the concept, the result (an amazingly badass, driveable luxury machine) is the same.

We Must be More Like Professional Supercar Builders

You already know where I'm going with this but...

If you're having trouble starting. If you feel overwhelmed. If you don't know wtf to do next... the problem may not be the tools and parts. It may not be your lack of knowledge & experience. It's definitely not your lack of ideas.

It's probably just that you don't have a clear vision. You don't know what the end result looks like, so you can't take specific action to get there. If you wanna go to grandma's house and you don't know where she lives, you can drive around all day, but you won't get there.

Take Time Right Now to Figure Out the End Result.

If you decided to build a supercar today you'd need experience, tools, and specialized knowledge to make it happen. But before all that, you'd need a vision. You'd have to know the goal. You'd have to have a general concept to work from, so you can take only useful actions to make it happen.

So, the point of all this is that you need to know what you want. You need to sit down, grab a pen & paper and write that shit out. Write down what success looks and feels like to you. Make it really specific. Give it a deadline. Make it so crystal clear that when you finish executing you'll know you either hit your target 100% or you failed, and need to adjust course and try again.

Making money online isn't hard. Building a business may take a while, but it's not that hard either. The tools and processes are already in place. You can get knowledge and experience fast. You can even start building things without any rhyme or reason. But you won't get anywhere until you have a clear vision about what you're building.

You can't achieve the success you want, until you know what success you want to achieve.

Okay, now you get it. You need to set some goals. You need to clarify your vision.

So, stop reading this sweet a$$ mind candy and start taking action.

90% of the people on this board want step-by-step instructions, so here you go:

Step 1 - Stop reading & write your f'n goals right now!

Step 2 - Take specific action and make that shit happen!

Just Do It.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Very interesting thread. Lots of good info.

Good job so far @SinisterLex

Out of curiousity, I signed up for Odesk as a Freelancer (Got approved a few hours later)

I Made a "You" focused profile & applied to 4 jobs with the "You" attitude. (1.5 hours total time)

Got 1 job already.

It doesn't get much easier than that.

jujumac

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 20, 2013
I'd like to make a cautionary note for anyone who wants to get started on oDesk.

You will have to submit your profile for review from the oDesk Trust & Security Team before you can begin working.

It must have:
An overview
Portfolio (preferred)
Completed Tests
Employment History
Education (preferred)

DO NOT submit an incomplete profile. I accidentally submitted my profile on February 26th, before it was complete, in lieu of saving it as a draft...WOOPS! As a result, the oDesk Trust & Security Team flagged it as "incomplete," and my account has been suspended until further review. I completed the profile the following day, and my case has been escalated twice in an effort to get my privileges reinstated A.S.A.P. It has been 14 days without a resolution.

That is half a month of missed opportunities. Do it right the first time, and learn from my mistake! It will save you time and grief.

Hi all and thanks @SinisterLex for such an informative post.

I've had the same problem as @Marc B. Submitted my profile last night and received this message this morning:

oDesk Help Center: Action Required! Account Flagged for Policy Violation

During our regular reviews of the Freelancer community I noticed that your profile has not yet been completed, specifically your Overview. Your overview should provide a general support statement to your job title. It should be written professionally and should include a brief description or summary of your skills, experience and/or education.

Additional information on the oDesk Profile policies can be found at the following link:
https://www.odesk.com/info/terms/contractor-policies/

For further assistance please be sure to review our Create an oDesk Freelancer Profile training video on YouTube:

To update your profile please be sure to:

Select “View my profile” from the profile snapshot on the right side of the page.
Click on the “Edit Profile” button at the top of the page. This will give you an “Edit” button for each section of your profile.

After you have updated your profile you can use the “Re-submit” button for further review.

Thank you for your continued patience and cooperation

Regards,
Nino
The oDesk Trust & Safety Team

I've added a bit more info and have resubmitted, although I'd thought my profile was pretty full as it was (I'd linked my LinkedIn, added education and had a decent amount of words in the overview) but seems not.

Will keep you posted if they approve my next submission or if they'll give me some insight as to where I'd gone wrong.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hi all and thanks @SinisterLex for such an informative post.

I've had the same problem as @Marc B. Submitted my profile last night and received this message this morning:

oDesk Help Center: Action Required! Account Flagged for Policy Violation

During our regular reviews of the Freelancer community I noticed that your profile has not yet been completed, specifically your Overview. Your overview should provide a general support statement to your job title. It should be written professionally and should include a brief description or summary of your skills, experience and/or education.

Additional information on the oDesk Profile policies can be found at the following link:
https://www.odesk.com/info/terms/contractor-policies/

For further assistance please be sure to review our Create an oDesk Freelancer Profile training video on YouTube:

To update your profile please be sure to:

Select “View my profile” from the profile snapshot on the right side of the page.
Click on the “Edit Profile” button at the top of the page. This will give you an “Edit” button for each section of your profile.

After you have updated your profile you can use the “Re-submit” button for further review.

Thank you for your continued patience and cooperation

Regards,
Nino
The oDesk Trust & Safety Team

I've added a bit more info and have resubmitted, although I'd thought my profile was pretty full as it was (I'd linked my LinkedIn, added education and had a decent amount of words in the overview) but seems not.

Will keep you posted if they approve my next submission or if they'll give me some insight as to where I'd gone wrong.

Use the entire overview space to sell yourself.

Under your name there's a button that says "Edit name and title."

Add a support statement below your name. Mine doesn't require this but maybe it's new.

Make sure you fill out everything you can.

Make sure to add a payment method.

It's probably just something super small that's missing.

P.S. I'll respond to your PM in just a bit.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma

Will keep you posted
if they approve my next submission or if they'll give me some insight as to where I'd gone wrong.

Please do. It sounds strikingly similar to my problem, as you mentioned. I just hope that it doesn't take them long to approve you.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
The Driving Force
F*ck the "Why?" Find Your Who. Don't Stop Til' You're Done.

Several years ago I hit an all-time low. I was just venturing into the world of business. Just getting my toes wet. I quit my job and dove in with nothing more than an idea and a couple thousand in savings.

I wasn't a member of this forum. I hadn't read the book. I didn't know WTF I was doing at all. All of this equaled my first big, fat, failure that left me temporarily homeless, jobless, and cashless.

Honestly, if it wasn't for my amazing girlfriend, (now wife) I don't know what would have happened. Probably would of been sleepin' in my car and tippin' bottles too.

Luckily, (read hesitantly) she let me stay with her at her parent's house. If you ever want to know what the most embarrassing thing in the world is, try moving in with your girlfriend's parents who you've only met once, ever. It sucks.

Since I didn't have a job, and my business was packed up in storage, I had plenty of time for contemplating mistakes. Plenty of time for questions like:

Why am I so stupid?
Why am I such a failure?
Why doesn't anything ever work out for me?
Why don't they call me for an interview?
Why can't I ever get ahead?

The house was small and the family slowlane. My girlfriend's mom, dad, sister & sister's newborn baby + the two of us all staying in one tiny place.

After a while things went from bad to worse. I started hating everyone including myself, and especially her sister who absolutely refused to care for the child. Constant crying. Constant screaming. And all I could do was sit there and take it. It wasn't my home, it wasn't my place. I was at their mercy.

Day after day I sat there on that bed, in that attic, wallowing in self-misery. A spiraling loop of depression and madness, certainly going insane. All the while still repeating the question over and over. Why? Why?

The funny thing is, Why never changed my situation. No matter how much I mulled that bullshit around nothing changed.

It wasn't until one particularly bad night - after midnight and the screaming continued, that I hit my breaking point. I lost my cool, and it took everything I had not to let the whole family have it. I hated their lifestyle. Hated their habits. Hated them so much.

I stormed from the house and went to my car. Determined to find a moment of peace. Being below freezing, peace & comfort didn't come. Eventually I drifted into a restless sleep, but it didn't last long - soon interrupted by my girlfriend entering the passenger side.

For the longest time she didn't say anything. She just sat there, staring at me - big tear drops welling in her eyes.

In that moment I realized something. I saw clearly what I had become. I saw all of my pain and suffering reflected in those eyes. Then I saw something way, way F*cking worse. I saw all the pain and suffering she was feeling. She took a chance on me, and I was letting her down.

But then I realized something else. Even through all this bullshit... She was still by my side.

I slept outside that night, even after she went back in. Something snapped. Something changed. Thoughts of failure, gone. Thoughts of quitting, gone. Thoughts of self-pity, gone. Suddenly I couldn't think of anything but how the F*ck I'd get us out of that mess. No matter how long or how hard I had to work. I would give her the life she deserves!

The next morning I got pen and paper and crafted a detailed 5 year plan to carry us to freedom. It involved making things happen that didn't seem possible. Doing things that would test the mettle of our relationship far beyond the limits of anything we'd experienced before.

If I failed we had to start over.

If I succeeded we would be free.

Failure was no longer an option.

For the last 3 years we've worked relentlessly, executing each step one at a time. Countless setbacks. Countless roadblocks. Failure after failure, but always pressing on.

Today we're more than half way through our plan for freedom. The only bills left are a car and business debts. All will be paid in a month or two. We're over halfway there. We're earning more than either of us has ever had in our lives. We're so close to 100% freedom we can taste it in the air, and we smile every day.

If you don't get anything else from this story, please consider these 3 things:

1. Without taking action, we wouldn't have moved on.
We wouldn't have packed our bags and moved to a new city without jobs. We wouldn't be out of that miserable, self-defeating situation. We wouldn't have failed several times. We wouldn't be earning this much right now.

2. Without perseverance, we wouldn't have made it through the failures.
We wouldn't have found ways to adapt and overcome. We wouldn't be on the verge of total financial freedom despite not being rich.

3. Without the Who, I might have drove off a cliff instead of becoming driven.

F*ck the Whys. You don't need em'. Look to the Whos. Who is counting on you? Who are you fighting for?

Your girlfriend? Your wife? Your parents? Yourself?

Who in your life are you failing every time you don't accept responsibility and take action?

F*ck fear. F*ck Why.

Find your Who and take action now.

Don't stop til' you're done.

Just Do It.

Last edited:

BrenndenK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
Jul 11, 2013
Shed a tear during that post, reminded me of my ex girlfriend, we dated for four years and she lived in my the house with my family and the whole experience drove us apart.

The who is ME and my ability to live a life where I can comfortably have a partner and and maybe someday a family. I know freelancing won't get me 100% here, but it's a place to start that offers me the opportunity to learn to become more independent, and get directly involved in business.

If you calculate living expenses, It's very difficult to live a decent independent life under an income of $4000 a month. That means having a car, saving some money, paying your bills, and being able to eat and have minor luxuries.

There is a lot of fear going into this. I've been unemployed before and I never got the balls to dive into freelancing. What's different now?

My mindset. Help, Give, and Solve a NEED. Become the 1% that actually goes above and beyond for your customer and ALWAYS over deliver. If I can get this right, Then the money will be inevitable. I'm building a lifelong asset that will keep me financially secure.

--
Honestly, I've always been a very introverted and depressed personality. A cynical disconnected outsider. For me, just keeping my sanity can sometimes feel like a challenge. But, I'm getting much better at it.

So, here are somethings I'm doing right now to keep myself focused:

1) I made an excel spreadsheet of some daily habits I'm trying to cultivate such as Hal Elrod's Miracle Morning, 8hrs quality sleep, gratitude, 10 idea lists ala James Altucher, eating according to plan, reading, sending out proposals, etc. Accountability helps. It can add a certain level of stress, but it feels good not to break the chain and keep solid green boxes through the week. Just gotta stick to it.

2) Maintain your Health, Spirit, Mind, and Body DAILY. Aim to get 1% better everyday. If you're not working towards something, you're falling backwards.

3) Keeping a journal in order to have some outlet for frustrations, keep track of thoughts, and warm up your writing.

4) Take time for focused and scheduled RELAXATION. Be social and sexual. You cannot function if you're tired and frustrated.

5) JUST DO IT! My high school principal used this Nike slogan also. Never gets old.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Shed a tear during that post, reminded me of my ex girlfriend, we dated for four years and she lived in my the house with my family and the whole experience drove us apart.

The who is ME and my ability to live a life where I can comfortably have a partner and and maybe someday a family. I know freelancing won't get me 100% here, but it's a place to start that offers me the opportunity to learn to become more independent, and get directly involved in business.

If you calculate living expenses, It's very difficult to live a decent independent life under an income of $4000 a month. That means having a car, saving some money, paying your bills, and being able to eat and have minor luxuries.

There is a lot of fear going into this. I've been unemployed before and I never got the balls to dive into freelancing. What's different now?

My mindset. Help, Give, and Solve a NEED. Become the 1% that actually goes above and beyond for your customer and ALWAYS over deliver. If I can get this right, Then the money will be inevitable. I'm building a lifelong asset that will keep me financially secure.

--
Honestly, I've always been a very introverted and depressed personality. A cynical disconnected outsider. For me, just keeping my sanity can sometimes feel like a challenge. But, I'm getting much better at it.

So, here are somethings I'm doing right now to keep myself focused:

1) I made an excel spreadsheet of some daily habits I'm trying to cultivate such as Hal Elrod's Miracle Morning, 8hrs quality sleep, gratitude, 10 idea lists ala James Altucher, eating according to plan, reading, sending out proposals, etc. Accountability helps. It can add a certain level of stress, but it feels good not to break the chain and keep solid green boxes through the week. Just gotta stick to it.

2) Maintain your Health, Spirit, Mind, and Body DAILY. Aim to get 1% better everyday. If you're not working towards something, you're falling backwards.

3) Keeping a journal in order to have some outlet for frustrations, keep track of thoughts, and warm up your writing.

4) Take time for focused and scheduled RELAXATION. Be social and sexual. You cannot function if you're tired and frustrated.

5) JUST DO IT! My high school principal used this Nike slogan also. Never gets old.

Hey bro,

Sometimes it's just awesome knowing someone else can relate. There's a lot of introverts here, and we all struggle with a lot of the same things. Sometimes it helps just knowing someone else has gone through the BS too.

Glad you're finding things that work for you. Keep it up, because the good stuff comes.

Just remember to take specific, useful actions toward your goals in addition to the other stuff you're doing. I used to focus so much on time management, journaling and other stuff that I got a little side-tracked from the main priority (working toward freedom).

Have you started applying to Odesk gigs?

If you need help getting that first gig, let me know. :)

Mckenzie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Aug 25, 2013
Thank you so much SinisterLex. You're awesome.! This is such a great post,...it has a real potential to change my life from this day onwards. You're so genuinely just wanting to helping others...I can feel it...thanks heaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
When Was Your Last Eyeglass Exam?
It's time to change your frames and see through new lenses.
You have a secret magic power, but you may not know it yet. It's hidden right in front of your face, and if you access it, it can transform you...instantly. It's the difference between the Sidewalk & the Fastlane, the Slave & the Free Man, the Mortal & the God.

It holds a key to influencing yourself and others, and when you get it, you'll finally understand what all those people mean when they say things like,

- Things aren't as bad as they seem.
- You don't have to feel that way.
- There's no such thing as failure, only opportunities to learn.

What's this Magic Tool of Influence?

In NLP it's called Reframing.

But before we can use it we first have to become aware of our current Frames of Reference.

To keep it simple, our frame of reference is the lense through which we see the world at any given moment.

What Does This Have to Do with Our Success?

Frame of Reference has EVERYTHING to do with our success. It determines how we see ourselves, how we feel, and how we think. When we operate from non-useful frames of reference, then we experience great difficulty achieving our goals.

But if we become aware of our frame of reference, then we have the power to choose new frames which are more useful for our desires.

This is the process of reframing.

The conscious act of choosing to use a new frame of reference is reframing.

Here's some examples of reframing from non-useful to useful frames for better outcomes.

Original Frame

I want to quit my job and start a business, but I'm afraid.
New Frame
I'm quitting my job to start a business. It's a thrill!

Framed one way fear holds you back. Framed another you're taking action and excited.

Original Frame
I don't have any money. It's a real burden and I can't get something started.
New Frame
I don't have any money so I'll bootstrap until I overcome the challenge.

Framed one way it's a problem that defeats you. Framed another it's a challenge you'll overcome.

Original Frame
I failed again.
New Frame
I learned what doesn't work.

Framed one way you're a failure. Framed another, you're a shining example of personal development.

Original Frame
I don't know how to do (X)... So I can't do it. It's not an option.
New Frame
I don't know how to do (X), so I bought this book to learn.

Framed one way you lack knowledge, and you suck. Framed another you lack knowledge but you'll learn.

Original Frame
The world is against me. Nothing ever goes my way.
New Frame
I'll F*cking crush the world, and anything else that gets in my way!!!

Framed one way you're a victim. Framed another you're a boss!

There's a million ways you can use re-framing. For now just pay attention to the negative thoughts, feelings, and beliefs you hold that are keeping you from success. Acknowledge them, and understand that they are what they are - non-useful frames of reference.

Then acknowledge that you have a choice.

Because you're aware that frames of reference exist, you have the power to change them.

With awareness of frames of reference we can choose to switch from non-useful to useful frames anytime.

We can choose to make excuses or we can choose to make progress.
We can choose to fail or we can choose to learn.
We can choose to be victims, or we can choose to be Gods!

When was the last time you checked your lenses?

Just Do It.

G

Guest24480

Great tidbits in this thread, I really appreciate the information.

I know this forum isn't really about slowlane jobs and the such - quite the opposite actually - but this discussion regarding cover letters for freelance jobs got me thinking about traditional cover letters for slowlane jobs as well.

I've been scouring the internet for information on writing solid cover letters for internships - in the finance field in my case - because I'm looking to secure an internship over the summer to generate some sort of stable non-minimum wage income to fund fastlane projects.

Why is it that everyone advises writing cover letters that are all about ME ME ME and not about what you can offer the company itself? I can't imagine that the average application would stand out in any way shape or form if cover letters are written in this way. "I was a leader in such and such project or club, and I developed strong leadership and technical skills doing such and such." I can see recruiters reading this and thinking : 'Who cares, what can you do for my company?'

This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Do you think writing cover letters and/or cold emailing potential internship opportunities in the way you described would be effective, or is it really all about formality and the robotic sifting through of applications to find the candidate with the best possible credentials?

I guess the only real way to find out is to experiment with it, as I don't really have much to lose. My GPA is slightly above average and my resume is average at best. Can I stand out by changing the way I contact these companies?

@G_Alexander I know you were in investment banking. What do you think about this approach?

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Why is it that everyone advises writing cover letters that are all about ME ME ME and not about what you can offer the company itself?

Okay, so the writer uses some pretty offensive language for the taste of many, but here's someone who talks about roughly what you were asking about. I also don't know how effective they are in practice. And parts of it might just rub people the wrong way, though I figure some might appreciate it for the mindset it could help provide. But for the sake of another alternative, it's here.

How to Write a Resume that Gets Noticed — Getting a Job, Part I
Surefire Way to Get an Interview — Getting a Job, Part II
How to Have Good Interviews — Getting a Job, Part III

Here's another post that many on this forum may appreciate.

Making Money: The Hustler’s Waltz

PS: He mentions the "First Law" a few times, so here is a link to that one as well.

The First Law: Self-Reliance

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Great tidbits in this thread, I really appreciate the information.

I know this forum isn't really about slowlane jobs and the such - quite the opposite actually - but this discussion regarding cover letters for freelance jobs got me thinking about traditional cover letters for slowlane jobs as well.

I've been scouring the internet for information on writing solid cover letters for internships - in the finance field in my case - because I'm looking to secure an internship over the summer to generate some sort of stable non-minimum wage income to fund fastlane projects.

Why is it that everyone advises writing cover letters that are all about ME ME ME and not about what you can offer the company itself? I can't imagine that the average application would stand out in any way shape or form if cover letters are written in this way. "I was a leader in such and such project or club, and I developed strong leadership and technical skills doing such and such." I can see recruiters reading this and thinking : 'Who cares, what can you do for my company?'

This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Do you think writing cover letters and/or cold emailing potential internship opportunities in the way you described would be effective, or is it really all about formality and the robotic sifting through of applications to find the candidate with the best possible credentials?

I guess the only real way to find out is to experiment with it, as I don't really have much to lose. My GPA is slightly above average and my resume is average at best. Can I stand out by changing the way I contact these companies?

@G_Alexander I know you were in investment banking. What do you think about this approach?

The same concepts apply to cover letters and resumes as any other type of sales letter or freelance application.

I've actually tested this, a lot and landed a shit ton of jobs over the last 5 years (like 20 or 30 - I lost track) Some of these were part-time, but most were full-time, and roughly half were stuff I'd never done before in my life.

At least 1 of those jobs, I beat out a guy with a PhD...

List your skills, but always show how they're used to help the company.

That said, there's one thing to keep in mind when applying for regular jobs.

People hire people.

So, if you're really serious about standing out, write a you themed resume, but deliver it in person.

Put your confidence pants on.

Put a smile on.

Put some nice clothes on.

Then go to the place you want to get hired, and take your resume.

Take it in a portfolio so you don't look like an amateur.

Ask for the decision maker, (the boss).

Introduce yourself in person, smile, make a good first impression, & build rapport.

Then, when you've got his attention, explain why you're there.

Be prepared to explain how your skills benefit their company.

Make sure you hand him your resume before leaving.

Even if he doesn't hire you / can't hire you right then, he'll come back to your resume later.

Also Google, Body Language, and learn some of the basics. Body language means a lot in person.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
No long posts today.

Just got another Odesk offer at $100/hr.

Debating whether or not I have time for it, or if I'll have to turn him down.

Seriously guys... if you haven't taken the first step, wtf are you waiting for?!

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Quick questions.

1. How much time do you spend a day, total, on everything freelancing oriented? Researching clients to send better applications, time doing the work, talking to clients, etc...?
2. Did you have to purchase anything to improve your experience with oDesk? Scanners, printers, fax machine, etc...?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.