The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I've been losing for 5 years

hughs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
413%
Apr 1, 2018
boston
Way back when I was young I always loved the idea of owning my own business, and working on creating new things; it’s always been one of my top life goals. Having a nice steady salaried job had its allure as well, everyone older I knew doing this seemed really happy and would always tell me they would help me find a job if I went to college and did well. So that was my main goal, the years went by and I did really well in school.

Right after college I was applying to jobs, doing interviews, and it never really amounted to much. All the people who I thought would help me get an entry level job didn’t have their hand open for me anymore, and everyone I talked to gave me the same advice; go apply to jobs online, this is the best way and you will find one.

I didn’t give up looking for jobs, but after a few months I said to myself; why not try to start doing what you always wanted to do, start a business doing something you have knowledge and some expertise in. Originally my plan was to get a good job for a while and save up to start it; but instead I had to start from nothing and do it all on my own. Everyone I told this plan to thought it was stupid, and that I should keep looking for jobs online.

First I started doing some real research and trial/error, I won’t get into the specific product but I was building it from raw materials and it took a few months to get it right. I had some competition but set myself apart well, it was fairly unique. I could tell the margins were plenty good enough, and it was a good product. However, I did have my doubts until I started to sell. I was worried people wouldn’t like it.

I went on to build a website, listed the products and info, set it up for sales, etc. it turned out well, good thing I took a few graphic design classes. Then I went in for the marketing side; I did mostly social media marketing, with some paid advertising. It was slow (I was very new to internet marketing at the time) but I kept going at it and eventually started to get some sales!

I followed up with everyone who bought something and everyone who responded to my emails was really pleased with the product. This was a huge boost for me. All the frustration from getting turned down by human resources people seemed to melt away. I wasn’t making enough money to live on my own, my family still thought it was stupid, but I was happy for the time being. It went on like this for some time, I made some mistakes that I had to fix for people, some more demanding customers complained about certain aspects of the product; I took this as a challenge and improved it to their satisfaction.

Over time competition grew, and my sales were declining. What used to be a small niche when I started was now pretty saturated, and I was starting to get a bit burnt out as well. I decided to have another new product I designed made by someone else. It turned out to not sell anywhere near as well as I hoped it would, and I was grateful to break even on the experiment. I wasn’t passionate about the niche anymore either. I decided to move on and try to find a “real job” instead of a “hobby” (other people’s words). So this amounted to my first business failure.

Time went by and everyone’s disappointment grew, so I desperately walked into a temp agency to try to get the entry level job I was looking for before. I worked some jobs in sales and IT back in college, and even though my experience was pretty limited they said they might be able to find me an accounting job in less than a week. About a month later they called me and said they had a job for me to start tomorrow. Yes that’s right.. One day notice. I took it.

The job took me an hour and a half to get to and the same to get home, during rush hour traffic, and it consisted of staring at numbers on a computer screen for 7 hours. I know it sounds like an awful job but I was actually really excited to go and I barely slept that night before my first day. I got there and was pretty taken aback by how fancy the building was, and how nice my boss was. He said “anything you want to learn we can teach you” I gave it my full effort and learned a lot in no time from my boss, and even though it was extremely boring work I was learning something new every day. One day he told me he was moving on to another job elsewhere, and after he left no one else wanted to teach me anything; “anything you want to learn” turned into “it’s not worth it right now” and I was just doing the same grueling thing every day so I decided to quit. I really don’t think corporate America is for me after the experience. Another loss.

A family friend recently said I will be basically unemployable soon. Everyone thought quitting was extremely dumb. I still live with my mom and my whole family is disappointed in me. There’s a lot of drama every day. I’ve been treated like a lowlife by them for the last 5 years, and it’s hard but the dream still isn’t dead. That’s my embarrassing history to date, if you read it I appreciate it. Not everyone makes it but I’m going to keep trying.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ay47

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 29, 2018
Find a new niche that you can dominate again! If you can do it once, you can do it again. Freelance if you can't find a job right now and need to make money. @SinisterLex has some really good threads on freelancing.

WaterWerks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Mar 25, 2018
NYC
is it really losing if you learned from it and experienced from it ?

you took a dive at something you put your mind to and thats something some of us have yet to do, i haven't even put my feet in the water. you got what it takes, you've done it once and you can damn sure do it again.

trust the process
good luck to you

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Stay strong, diverting from the crowd is never easier.

I've been losing for 5 years

No you haven't -- you are discovering what you want and don't want in life.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story.

Myunghwan Hong

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Apr 1, 2018
Seoul, South Korea
I didn't intend to read up the full, but it made me through to the end line of your post. I got my business now that everyone doesn't think highly of, and it's still a long way to reach there, but I love what I'm doing now just because this is what I love! :) Don't put yourself down, always keep watching for things that would turn to be a great opportunity to you, always be in the search for what you like and love to do.
When you finally find your love job that you think you truly are passionate and crazy at then keep straight going with it without being distracted by others, even any of ones of your family like how I do now.
I know you will do great soon mate

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Way back when I was young I always loved the idea of owning my own business, and working on creating new things; it’s always been one of my top life goals. Having a nice steady salaried job had its allure as well, everyone older I knew doing this seemed really happy and would always tell me they would help me find a job if I went to college and did well. So that was my main goal, the years went by and I did really well in school.

Right after college I was applying to jobs, doing interviews, and it never really amounted to much. All the people who I thought would help me get an entry level job didn’t have their hand open for me anymore, and everyone I talked to gave me the same advice; go apply to jobs online, this is the best way and you will find one.

I didn’t give up looking for jobs, but after a few months I said to myself; why not try to start doing what you always wanted to do, start a business doing something you have knowledge and some expertise in. Originally my plan was to get a good job for a while and save up to start it; but instead I had to start from nothing and do it all on my own. Everyone I told this plan to thought it was stupid, and that I should keep looking for jobs online.

First I started doing some real research and trial/error, I won’t get into the specific product but I was building it from raw materials and it took a few months to get it right. I had some competition but set myself apart well, it was fairly unique. I could tell the margins were plenty good enough, and it was a good product. However, I did have my doubts until I started to sell. I was worried people wouldn’t like it.

I went on to build a website, listed the products and info, set it up for sales, etc. it turned out well, good thing I took a few graphic design classes. Then I went in for the marketing side; I did mostly social media marketing, with some paid advertising. It was slow (I was very new to internet marketing at the time) but I kept going at it and eventually started to get some sales!

I followed up with everyone who bought something and everyone who responded to my emails was really pleased with the product. This was a huge boost for me. All the frustration from getting turned down by human resources people seemed to melt away. I wasn’t making enough money to live on my own, my family still thought it was stupid, but I was happy for the time being. It went on like this for some time, I made some mistakes that I had to fix for people, some more demanding customers complained about certain aspects of the product; I took this as a challenge and improved it to their satisfaction.

Over time competition grew, and my sales were declining. What used to be a small niche when I started was now pretty saturated, and I was starting to get a bit burnt out as well. I decided to have another new product I designed made by someone else. It turned out to not sell anywhere near as well as I hoped it would, and I was grateful to break even on the experiment. I wasn’t passionate about the niche anymore either. I decided to move on and try to find a “real job” instead of a “hobby” (other people’s words). So this amounted to my first business failure.

Time went by and everyone’s disappointment grew, so I desperately walked into a temp agency to try to get the entry level job I was looking for before. I worked some jobs in sales and IT back in college, and even though my experience was pretty limited they said they might be able to find me an accounting job in less than a week. About a month later they called me and said they had a job for me to start tomorrow. Yes that’s right.. One day notice. I took it.

The job took me an hour and a half to get to and the same to get home, during rush hour traffic, and it consisted of staring at numbers on a computer screen for 7 hours. I know it sounds like an awful job but I was actually really excited to go and I barely slept that night before my first day. I got there and was pretty taken aback by how fancy the building was, and how nice my boss was. He said “anything you want to learn we can teach you” I gave it my full effort and learned a lot in no time from my boss, and even though it was extremely boring work I was learning something new every day. One day he told me he was moving on to another job elsewhere, and after he left no one else wanted to teach me anything; “anything you want to learn” turned into “it’s not worth it right now” and I was just doing the same grueling thing every day so I decided to quit. I really don’t think corporate America is for me after the experience. Another loss.

A family friend recently said I will be basically unemployable soon. Everyone thought quitting was extremely dumb. I still live with my mom and my whole family is disappointed in me. There’s a lot of drama every day. I’ve been treated like a lowlife by them for the last 5 years, and it’s hard but the dream still isn’t dead. That’s my embarrassing history to date, if you read it I appreciate it. Not everyone makes it but I’m going to keep trying.

Here's a worse story.
Young man goes to college, gets 50k debt, spends next 30 years working to pay it off. Heart attack at 55, death.

Daniel Giordano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 31, 2018
Royal Palm Beach FL
As someone who has made millions and lost it all, including almost dying I can it can always be worse and at the end of the day, you can choose to create whatever you want in your life. I went through shame blame and guilt and one thing I learned is that teh experiences I went through made me stronger and I chose not to stay there at the bottom because my wife and kids deserve better and the world needs more people that genuinely care about helping others. Here is an article I shared recently...

Last Day

A few years ago I had something happen that changed many things in my life. My family and I were in the Smoky Mountains in North Carolina and went to look at a property that sounded incredible, five acres, twenty-five-foot waterfall, trout-filled stream and a perfect not a cloud in the sky day.

Are you getting the picture? Absolutely pristine nature at its best.

Well, I never saw it! We got to the property and my 5-year-old son (now 15 geeze time flies) and the person we were with started walking down a path to the stream and we accidentally stirred up a yellow jacket nest.

The first challenge is I am over fifty miles from a hospital and I am severely allergic to venomous insects. The allergy started a few years ago out of nowhere.

The second challenge I do not have my epi-pen I forgot it back at the cabin because I at that point only went into full anaphylactic shock from fire ants. I did not think I was allergic to every venomous insect.

I was stung on the head first thinking what was that?... then multiple times 13 to be exact and hearing my son screaming and not being able to pick him up as I knew I had only about 60 seconds to get up the hill. The woman in front of us grabbed him and got us back up to the car. Yellowjackets, by the way, keep stinging, unlike regular bees which the only sting once and those things followed us into the car still stinging, nasty!

That is on my questions for God list
1f642.png
:)...

I was starting to go into shock by the time I got in the car. Fortunately, my father was with me and started driving. I remember them screaming stay with me.

I could not talk, gasping for breath and vision turning white seeing my wife in the back with our 5-month-old thinking this cannot be it. I did not give up but I can tell you I really thought at one point there is no way I can make it to the hospital being 52 miles away.

What happened next was nothing short of a miracle, as we were on the road to meet 911, we passed a fire station and a few firefighters just happened to stop there and one of them had one epi-pen. I remember hearing them saying we are going to count to three before he stuck me in the thigh with the needle and he was counting 1...

Then, I hear my dad just stab him already... just like my dad!

Now I had a chance to stabilize and a shot at getting to the hospital. The next thing I heard has haunted me since that day...

We have another one over here... It was Vicki the woman who was walking in from of me. She was stung one time and did not realize it and her heart stopped and she passed away.

I remember being in the hospital asking how she was and speaking with her husband when he came in my room to tell me she was on life support and was not going to make it. It was awful, one of the worst feelings in the world.

I struggled many questions like why her and not me and what I could have done differently.

I am blessed to be alive and have an amazing wife and kids. The driving force for me has been to be the dad that is going to be there for my kids.

So I ask you today are you living ALL IN with what is most important to you and the way you choose to live daily or are you settling?

I heard a guy the other day in Costco that was working there giving out samples. Someone asked, "How are you?"

He replied "I woke up this morning, I can't ask for anything better than that at my age"

Each day is a gift and what you do with it is up to you. We have all wasted many days and we can never get them back but we can make each new day better!

STOP complaining, blaming others or whatever else is holding you back from going out and creating what you want and making a difference in the world.

Do not let a day go by without giving it your best and living it to the fullest!

Go ALL IN, do something right now that will move you forward to live your dreams.

Dan Giordano

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Don’t give up. I pity the person who hasn’t been through shit like this. I have. You’re a hell of a lot smarter for your experiences.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
As someone who has made millions and lost it all, including almost dying I can it can always be worse and at the end of the day, you can choose to create whatever you want in your life. I went through shame blame and guilt and one thing I learned is that teh experiences I went through made me stronger and I chose not to stay there at the bottom because my wife and kids deserve better and the world needs more people that genuinely care about helping others. Here is an article I shared recently...

Last Day

A few years ago I had something happen that changed many things in my life. My family and I were in the Smoky Mountains in North Carolina and went to look at a property that sounded incredible, five acres, twenty-five-foot waterfall, trout-filled stream and a perfect not a cloud in the sky day.

Are you getting the picture? Absolutely pristine nature at its best.

Well, I never saw it! We got to the property and my 5-year-old son (now 15 geeze time flies) and the person we were with started walking down a path to the stream and we accidentally stirred up a yellow jacket nest.

The first challenge is I am over fifty miles from a hospital and I am severely allergic to venomous insects. The allergy started a few years ago out of nowhere.

The second challenge I do not have my epi-pen I forgot it back at the cabin because I at that point only went into full anaphylactic shock from fire ants. I did not think I was allergic to every venomous insect.

I was stung on the head first thinking what was that?... then multiple times 13 to be exact and hearing my son screaming and not being able to pick him up as I knew I had only about 60 seconds to get up the hill. The woman in front of us grabbed him and got us back up to the car. Yellowjackets, by the way, keep stinging, unlike regular bees which the only sting once and those things followed us into the car still stinging, nasty!

That is on my questions for God list
1f642.png
:)...

I was starting to go into shock by the time I got in the car. Fortunately, my father was with me and started driving. I remember them screaming stay with me.

I could not talk, gasping for breath and vision turning white seeing my wife in the back with our 5-month-old thinking this cannot be it. I did not give up but I can tell you I really thought at one point there is no way I can make it to the hospital being 52 miles away.

What happened next was nothing short of a miracle, as we were on the road to meet 911, we passed a fire station and a few firefighters just happened to stop there and one of them had one epi-pen. I remember hearing them saying we are going to count to three before he stuck me in the thigh with the needle and he was counting 1...

Then, I hear my dad just stab him already... just like my dad!

Now I had a chance to stabilize and a shot at getting to the hospital. The next thing I heard has haunted me since that day...

We have another one over here... It was Vicki the woman who was walking in from of me. She was stung one time and did not realize it and her heart stopped and she passed away.

I remember being in the hospital asking how she was and speaking with her husband when he came in my room to tell me she was on life support and was not going to make it. It was awful, one of the worst feelings in the world.

I struggled many questions like why her and not me and what I could have done differently.

I am blessed to be alive and have an amazing wife and kids. The driving force for me has been to be the dad that is going to be there for my kids.

So I ask you today are you living ALL IN with what is most important to you and the way you choose to live daily or are you settling?

I heard a guy the other day in Costco that was working there giving out samples. Someone asked, "How are you?"

He replied "I woke up this morning, I can't ask for anything better than that at my age"

Each day is a gift and what you do with it is up to you. We have all wasted many days and we can never get them back but we can make each new day better!

STOP complaining, blaming others or whatever else is holding you back from going out and creating what you want and making a difference in the world.

Do not let a day go by without giving it your best and living it to the fullest!

Go ALL IN, do something right now that will move you forward to live your dreams.

Dan Giordano

Thank you for your story. This should be required reading for everyone!

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
Its not the beginning that counts, but the end.

If you look deep enough into any successful people, you'll likely find a string of failures.

Things you can't learn from a book, video or course.

Keep pushing, soon enough everyone will want to be your friend and say that they believed in you all along...

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Entrepreneurship is 99 percent sacrificing and figuring it out and 1 percent winning. The difference between an entrepreneur and an employee is that the entrepreneur eventually gets compensated for sacrifice.

Last edited:

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I haven't replied to any threads or posted anything for like 2 months now.

Why?

I am (yet again) lost in my damn life and got swallowed by deep dark thoughts.

But you know what?

People like you inspire me like hell. We are going against norms and society standards and it can get really tough at times. But this experience will make you stronger and you'll set yourself apart anywhere you go because of your mindset.

Keep going strong!

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria

Process!!!...process!!!.....process!!!

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I am (yet again) lost in my damn life and got swallowed by deep dark thoughts.

We've all been there. I am just coming out of a two year depression from a series of events that almost killed me. I know words can't describe it, but you know it when you experience it.

The main thing that kept me going was focusing on Winston Churchill's saying "If you're going through Hell, keep on going!"

Find something to focus on. Know you are not the only person going through this, and you will come out of it stronger and wiser.

Read. Exercise and entertain your mind.

And find someone that has it worse than you, which isn't hard. That's not an insult - that's merely saying that there are a lot of people in battles at any given time. Some of them are gut wrenching. I personally know a woman that works two full time jobs to put her daughter through college - and manages her household as a single mom. This is a woman that is all in every day from waking to sleeping. What a great person she is. Her worthless husband couldn't take the "pressure" so he walked out - now she's doing it all on her own, and she's doing a great job of it.

I have a friend that got Muscular Dystrophy out of the blue, and is in a wheelchair, wasting away. He will not live a full life. I wish I could do something for him besides standing by and lip service.

Learn to say it's okay. Learn to not hold yourself responsible to things in your past. Let them go. Yesterday I worked my butt off, and I kept going by saying tomorrow is a FREE day and I get to have FUN! Which I've been doing ALL DAMN DAY, and it will continue into the night! Yesterday didn't have the "sting" it could have, because I was holding out tomorrow as my reward. And here it is!

You can do anything you want to do. You are in charge. And the fact that you are even here shows there is a winner in you wanting to come out and take charge. Move aside, and let him OUT! Right. Damn. NOW!!! :fistbump:

Peace Bro! :cool:

tumblrnve33zFuBY1srfz27o1500.gif

eWomenNetwork

New Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Dallas , Texas , 75254
I’m an ordinary woman… from a small town. My father died on my birthday when I turned five years old. My mother, from Mexico, raised me and my two older brothers on welfare until she remarried. My step-father died six weeks before I married the man I met my senior year in high school. (He was a drummer and no one thought we stood a chance.) I lost my brother to a car accident when I was 26 and he was 27. He was killed instantly. No goodbye, and no getting over it for a long time.

My husband and I are still together. We’ve had to overcome all the regular stuff couples deal with, not to mention shifting careers and paychecks. We’ve raised two children, one of each. We are a close-knit family and fiercely protective of each other. These days make those teen years worth it.

I invest constantly in my personal development. I earned my Master’s degree in Organizational Development from The American University in Washington D.C., and a two-year post-graduate certification in Organization and Systems Design from the prestigious Gestalt Institute. I got all my education while working full-time. No sorority experience for me. I had bills to pay and kids to raise.

When it comes to business, I’m an unlikely success story. I hated networking environments – you know, a bunch of small talk when I was focused on BIG dreams. And so, in a room above my garage, I bootstrapped my way to create one the largest and most decorated business network organizations in North America, eWomenNetwork, a one-stop complete success system for entrepreneurs.

Then, i am featured in Chicken Soup for the Entrepreneur’s Soul and have four other #1 bestsellers.

My principles for life are basic and practical. I don’t get distracted. I’m focused on what’s important and I’m not afraid to work hard for what I want. I’ve taken the lessons I’ve learned for building a million-dollar business and now spend my life sharing everything I know.

So, don't loose hope. Stay focused and keep your eyes on target. Sometimes, you may walk away from your business, it doesn't mean you have to quit as an entrepreneur. It simply means that it just wasn't the right moment to make it big.

chriswarner

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 4, 2018
United States
I’m an ordinary woman… from a small town. My father died on my birthday when I turned five years old. My mother, from Mexico, raised me and my two older brothers on welfare until she remarried. My step-father died six weeks before I married the man I met my senior year in high school. (He was a drummer and no one thought we stood a chance.) I lost my brother to a car accident when I was 26 and he was 27. He was killed instantly. No goodbye, and no getting over it for a long time.

My husband and I are still together. We’ve had to overcome all the regular stuff couples deal with, not to mention shifting careers and paychecks. We’ve raised two children, one of each. We are a close-knit family and fiercely protective of each other. These days make those teen years worth it.

I invest constantly in my personal development. I earned my Master’s degree in Organizational Development from The American University in Washington D.C., and a two-year post-graduate certification in Organization and Systems Design from the prestigious Gestalt Institute. I got all my education while working full-time. No sorority experience for me. I had bills to pay and kids to raise.

When it comes to business, I’m an unlikely success story. I hated networking environments – you know, a bunch of small talk when I was focused on BIG dreams. And so, in a room above my garage, I bootstrapped my way to create one the largest and most decorated business network organizations in North America, eWomenNetwork, a one-stop complete success system for entrepreneurs.

Then, i am featured in Chicken Soup for the Entrepreneur’s Soul and have four other #1 bestsellers.

My principles for life are basic and practical. I don’t get distracted. I’m focused on what’s important and I’m not afraid to work hard for what I want. I’ve taken the lessons I’ve learned for building a million-dollar business and now spend my life sharing everything I know.

So, don't loose hope. Stay focused and keep your eyes on target. Sometimes, you may walk away from your business, it doesn't mean you have to quit as an entrepreneur. It simply means that it just wasn't the right moment to make it big.
Something Inspiring!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.