The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Have Lost My Way

Anything related to matters of the mind

Costafarian

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Nov 23, 2018
Cape Cod, MA
Hello everyone...

I haven't posted much to the community yet. Here is my intro post to know more about who I am.

This one is going to be a bit of a continuation of this post. I just got off of a pretty shitty day at my job, and feel the need to rant. As well as reach out to whomever out there on this forum may have some advice for a lost soul such as myself.

Detailed in my intro post, I was passionate about filmmaking. I left it behind recently as I felt it was one of those situations where it was my passion, but not necessarily something that would pay the bills.

Since I've placed my dreams of filmmaking on the shelf to find another endeavor to fill the void it left behind, I have struggled to find a sound replacement.

Starting a business was on the mind from the get go, even before I read MJ's book. However, I tried to write my first novel this year. As my passion for filmmaking started with the hobby I had in writing short stories.

Storytelling seemed to be something I had a natural talent with.

As I write this, my mind gravitates towards the possibility that I could make it as a self-published author. If only I would just take the time out of my day to work at it.

But there's always that shadow of doubt within me that prevents me from taking the chance. As I feel at 27 years old, I have already wasted too much time. My parents and extended family continue to age and I fear I may not succeed in time to let them reap the rewards I would potentially give them.

As my primary purpose would be to help them retire.

"Writing a book would take too long, and would ultimately be fruitless as there are so many self-published authors out there you wouldn't stand out."

"Becoming successful at such a creative career would take more time than you are willing to wait."

I've entertained the idea, but work has me so burnt out all I want to do is relax and have a beer. And a novel is 100x longer than a screenplay (to which I have written several), and something I had trouble starting from the get-go.

I was a "pantser" in my younger days (meaning one just writes what comes to mind, edits later), now I work best with meticulous outlining. Which is where most of the work goes anyway. And I just couldn't settle on an idea that would last the length of an average novel anyway.

Scrapped that one.

Business has always fascinated me but never found anything that I would stick with. Until after my two years at a local Apple Dealer. Cape Cod, MA is essetially what I call Florida 2.0. As it is unfortunately heavily reliant on a large retirement community.

When it came to computers, I noticed an entire generation crippled and confused by the technology that was either forced on them, or they bought out of necessity.

Some of the most basic things we younger folks take for granted, most old people didn't grasp.

We offered private one-on-one lessons in the store, but they were usually with difficult personalities or were just hour long tech support sessions.

Most folks did genuinely want to learn, but were just intimidated by the technology.

I offered the owners of the business an idea, as I was managing the website, to offer free lessons on the bare minimum basics that would be included with the purchase of a computer with the company.

As most of these old timers expected these things to be included free with a purchase, much like an actual corporate Apple Store.

We didn't make more than $100 margin on the machines, even less for tablets. So I was mostly ignored.

That idea eventually developed into a full on website that would sell niche tutorials of computer basics based on platform. Specifically targeting seniors.

The viability of it seems iffy to me, as how would I advertise online to people who are confused about the internet and computers? I considered old fashioned means of marketing, but wasn't finding a lot of consistent info on it.

I eventually shelved it, as money is tight, and I wasn't sure if taking the risk would be a good idea. At the time, I was transitioning to a new job, and fell behind on credit card debt. Which up until this point, I was staying on top of.

Shelved that one, for now...

These days, I just feel like I've lost direction. And I'm not sure what I should do.

I have conflicting emotions surrounding the thought of writing books. Ideally I would love to do it but feel like the market is so saturated and everyone wants to be the next "self-published millionaire". So doing it other than for love seems like a waste of time.

While starting a web tutorial business would be awesome. I do care about helping others understand computers better, but I think I have put all my eggs in one basket. And rested all of my hopes on this idea. Yet, I'm too nervous to just do it.

I was close to a "F*ck This" event tonight, as I was ready to just walk out of work today. But I need the money to continue doing the entrepreneurial endeavors I want to try.

So here I am, ranting about the ideas I've had to move forward and why I feel like they won't work.

I guess I'm just hoping someone will convince me to just give it a try.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Well you need to pick something and stick with it. The problem is if you chop and change all the time you will never have a successful business, just a whole heap of frustration.

Find something that looks promising and follow it through. FOCUS (Follow Once Course Until Successful).

If you are in a major retirement community then I would look at fulfilling their needs as you have a captive audience. That probably means an offline business like maybe maintenance, grocery delivery, gardening, window cleaning, gutter cleaning or whatever. There is plenty of money to be made in those niches.

I wouldn't worry too much about looking for something mega scaleable, just something that will get you profitable and in the right mindset so you can move on up to something else once you have built a habit of seeing a business idea and taking it to fruition.

Basically learning to execute to profitability.

If you want to know what execution to profitability looks like in the writing niche then settle down for a long Sunday ride reading Chickenhawks Progress Thread here:

GOLD! - [PROGRESS THREAD] ChickenHawk's Self-Published Fiction EBooks

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much, you still have plenty of years in you and probably your parents too.

This might make you feel a bit younger:

8-successful-entrepreneurs-who-started-later-in-life-V2_31649.jpg

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I just hit 27 not to long ago, feels really weird & can share the feeling of wasted time... if I remember correctly I think @MJ DeMarco was still a slave for the limo biz @ 26, so that makes me feel a bit better atleast lol!

Above post is great about the service gigs, personally in my experience of good ol door knocking, the older folks really loved the idea of a younger kid hustling round the block. Got invited to someones home after a property job I did one time, was really nice.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I just hit 27 not to long ago, feels really weird & can share the feeling of wasted time... if I remember correctly I think @MJ DeMarco was still a slave for the limo biz @ 26, so that makes me feel a bit better atleast lol!

Take heart, you really are just a spring chicken. You won't really appreciate that until you get to 40 or 50+.

Many, many people are only just discovering this forum in their 50's, I'm sure they would kill to be your age with the knowledge you have available. What you need to concern yourself with is not what is behind you but what is in front.

IMG_6081.PNG

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Take heart, you really are just a spring chicken. You won't really appreciate that until you get to 40 or 50+.

Many, many people are only just discovering this forum in their 50's, I'm sure they would kill to be your age with the knowledge you have available. What you need to concern yourself with is not what is behind you but what is in front.

View attachment 22978

Thanks for the comment, guess its just one of those mid life crisis things, whenever I see teens its crazy to think I'm pretty far away from that when my maturity level is of a kid still.

kefapy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Nov 23, 2018
Nairobi
Don't give up am 30 and am starting all over again
in 2018 I have gone through serious financial difficulties......but it was down to me..... I wanted to do a lot of things create bots, be a digital marketer, a hacker and others all in all the best thing i have ever done with my life is build websites.....
and that is what am going to do in 2019
Never give up....

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Don't worry, 27 is an absolutely young age.
I'm 34, turning 35 next year, and I'm old and finished.

Start now!

OlivierMo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 12, 2018
Idaho
Well you need to pick something and stick with it. The problem is if you chop and change all the time you will never have a successful business, just a whole heap of frustration.

Find something that looks promising and follow it through. FOCUS (Follow Once Course Until Successful).

If you are in a major retirement community then I would look at fulfilling their needs as you have a captive audience. That probably means an offline business like maybe maintenance, grocery delivery, gardening, window cleaning, gutter cleaning or whatever. There is plenty of money to be made in those niches.

I wouldn't worry too much about looking for something mega scaleable, just something that will get you profitable and in the right mindset so you can move on up to something else once you have built a habit of seeing a business idea and taking it to fruition.

Basically learning to execute to profitability.

If you want to know what execution to profitability looks like in the writing niche then settle down for a long Sunday ride reading Chickenhawks Progress Thread here:

GOLD! - [PROGRESS THREAD] ChickenHawk's Self-Published Fiction EBooks

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much, you still have plenty of years in you and probably your parents too.

This might make you feel a bit younger:

View attachment 22976
Sounds a bit like me. Honestly the shrink may work. Some of our stuff is baggage due to parent's approval or disapproval. At least that's my case. I'm terrible at doing things I love but everything that was approved by my parents got a lot of focus and I was successful at them. I just don't put the long term discipline on my passions or my wants b/c the voices say I shouldn't. Working on it, doing exercises help. Some reads about self esteem from Nathaniel Branden has been really interesting. Not the self esteem b/s and trophy generation thing but understanding thing like self acceptance and individuation has been an awakening.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
The average entrepreneur doesn't find the business that makes them successful until the age of 39.

On another note, the average entrepreneur who has a successful tech business is 47 when they start.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You've posed some good ideas.

While self-publishing is crowded, I wouldn't dismiss it that quick. If you have the talent, the market will tell you. And there is no reason why you couldn't WRITE as well as pursue the tech support business. Give it a whirl -- once a reader tells you your story is the best thing he's read in years, you'll be hooked.

At this point, you just want to get some small wins. Wouldn't worry about CENTS too much.

And yes, 27 is just a baby in terms of the entrepreneurial journey.

if I remember correctly I think @MJ DeMarco was still a slave for the limo biz @ 26, so that makes me feel a bit better atleast lol!

Close, 25!

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
Your story resonates with me and we have experienced similar paths.

I'm an artist by heart and put it on hold to chase the money. I did it all, info products, copywriting, ecomm, apps, saas.

I'm back at creating art and nothing ever felt so right. I've been grinding non-stop ever since. You can read some of my threads to get an idea of my journey.

I have had FTEs multiple times, but this time it's lingering in my heart like a dagger that will never be removed. A constant reminder of the s**t we went through. Treasure your FTE like gold. I'm 25 now and it's just the beginning of something great.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Hello everyone...

I haven't posted much to the community yet. Here is my intro post to know more about who I am.

This one is going to be a bit of a continuation of this post. I just got off of a pretty sh*tty day at my job, and feel the need to rant. As well as reach out to whomever out there on this forum may have some advice for a lost soul such as myself.

Detailed in my intro post, I was passionate about filmmaking. I left it behind recently as I felt it was one of those situations where it was my passion, but not necessarily something that would pay the bills.

Since I've placed my dreams of filmmaking on the shelf to find another endeavor to fill the void it left behind, I have struggled to find a sound replacement.

Starting a business was on the mind from the get go, even before I read MJ's book. However, I tried to write my first novel this year. As my passion for filmmaking started with the hobby I had in writing short stories.

As I write this, my mind gravitates towards the possibility that I could make it as a self-published author. If only I would just take the time out of my day to work at it.

But there's always that shadow of doubt within me that prevents me from taking the chance. As I feel at 27 years old, I have already wasted too much time. My parents and extended family continue to age and I fear I may not succeed in time to let them reap the rewards I would potentially give them.

"Writing a book would take too long, and would ultimately be fruitless as there are so many self-published authors out there you wouldn't stand out."

"Becoming successful at such a creative career would take more time than you are willing to wait."

I've entertained the idea, but work has me so burnt out all I want to do is relax and have a beer. And a novel is 100x longer than a screenplay (to which I have written several), and something I had trouble starting from the get-go.

I was a "pantser" in my younger days (meaning one just writes what comes to mind, edits later), now I work best with meticulous outlining. Which is where most of the work goes anyway. And I just couldn't settle on an idea that would last the length of an average novel anyway.

Scrapped that one.

Business has always fascinated me but never found anything that I would stick with. Until after my two years at a local Apple Dealer. Cape Cod, MA is essetially what I call Florida 2.0. As it is unfortunately heavily reliant on a large retirement community.

When it came to computers, I noticed an entire generation crippled and confused by the technology that was either forced on them, or they bought out of necessity.

Some of the most basic things we younger folks take for granted, most old people didn't grasp.

We offered private one-on-one lessons in the store, but they were usually with difficult personalities or were just hour long tech support sessions.

Most folks did genuinely want to learn, but were just intimidated by the technology.

I offered the owners of the business an idea, as I was managing the website, to offer free lessons on the bare minimum basics that would be included with the purchase of a computer with the company.

As most of these old timers expected these things to be included free with a purchase, much like an actual corporate Apple Store.

We didn't make more than $100 margin on the machines, even less for tablets. So I was mostly ignored.

That idea eventually developed into a full on website that would sell niche tutorials of computer basics based on platform. Specifically targeting seniors.

The viability of it seems iffy to me, as how would I advertise online to people who are confused about the internet and computers? I considered old fashioned means of marketing, but wasn't finding a lot of consistent info on it.

I eventually shelved it, as money is tight, and I wasn't sure if taking the risk would be a good idea. At the time, I was transitioning to a new job, and fell behind on credit card debt. Which up until this point, I was staying on top of.

These days, I just feel like I've lost direction. And I'm not sure what I should do.

I have conflicting emotions surrounding the thought of writing books. Ideally I would love to do it but feel like the market is so saturated and everyone wants to be the next "self-published millionaire". So doing it other than for love seems like a waste of time.

While starting a web tutorial business would be awesome. I do care about helping others understand computers better, but I think I have put all my eggs in one basket. And rested all of my hopes on this idea. Yet, I'm too nervous to just do it.

I was close to a "f*ck This" event tonight, as I was ready to just walk out of work today. But I need the money to continue doing the entrepreneurial endeavors I want to try.

So here I am, ranting about the ideas I've had to move forward and why I feel like they won't work.

Stay healthy man, that goes a long way.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
Why don't you continue filmmaking?
If you don't think you can make it as a film maker think again.
The entertainment business is a multi-trillion industry. Salaries range in the six figures.

What are your strengths?
What's your Enneagram type?

If you can't make it with your strengths, why do you expect to make it in a business/industry you have little experience about?
Because you think its easier. There is no easy way out.

Last edited:

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Hello everyone...

This one is going to be a bit of a continuation of this post. I just got off of a pretty sh*tty day at my job, and feel the need to rant. As well as reach out to whomever out there on this forum may have some advice for a lost soul such as myself.

Scrapped that one.

I was close to a "f*ck This" event tonight, as I was ready to just walk out of work today. But I need the money to continue doing the entrepreneurial endeavors I want to try.

I don't like the idea of the computer classes. Doesn't sound extremely viable to me. Almost every computer illiterate person these days has a nephew or a grandchild or something who will teach them for free.

But I wouldn't be so quick to shelve the filmmaking and writing ideas.

It is clear from your forum posts that you are an excellent writer.

If you already know how to write a screenplay, you have the structural tools in your belt to write an excellent novel.

Instead of being a nobody in a crowded field, your storytelling ability has the potential to make you stand out right off the bat. You would not be an average Joe trying to make it; you would be an outlier, someone whose natural talents make you the envy of those who have to work a lot harder than you to get the same results.

Can you pair your talents with the same kind of insane work ethic that people with no talent put in to get ahead?

It sounds like you are giving up too early, scrapping viable ideas precisely because they take a lot of work to get ramped up and moving.

Three thousand years ago, people already thought that the author market was too crowded. In the book of Ecclesiastes, there's a complaint that "of making many books there is no end." So that's not a good enough excuse. Just because other people are writing does NOT mean there's no space for you to leave a deep, indelible mark on the world.

But it is going to take discipline. James Clear's book, Atomic Habits, became an instant success...but it came after faithfully publishing high-quality articles twice a week for like 6 years.

You say you don't have time...but 6 years, or even 10 years, is plenty of time for you to create something amazing. In 10 years, you'll be 37. As a 37-year-old, if you have a fortune from one or two best selling books, you'll be way ahead of most people your age.

You have nothing to lose. You have a job, which gives you a sustainable life while you build your author (or filmmaker) credentials.

Won't pursuing something like that give you back your spark and interest in life?

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
View attachment 22978
I don't know whether to chuckle indulgently or cry for these kids in their 20s who feel they must conquer the world now or it's too late. My entrepreneurial gene didn't wake up until I was in my mid-30s. I was 50 before it dawned on me that multi-level marketing wasn't ever going to do it for me, no matter how much I believed in the products. After that, it took nearly 20 years to find my true calling, though I found part of it five years ago when I was introduced to this forum.

Ironically, considering the OP's thoughts on self-publishing, that introduction came at the insistence of a gentleman whose books I still occasionally ghostwrite when I need to generate some extra cash quickly. @Costafarian, you can indeed stand out and make it in self-publishing if you're any good. Don't let the false notion of 'saturation' scare you. But don't think for a minute that self-publishing is Fastlane, either. It isn't, no matter what anyone else says. However, I digress.

It takes courage to get past the naysayers, including your own inner voice, and just do something. Anything. Most people fail several times before they succeed, as in turning a profit. It's a rite of passage. Don't make the mistake of believing that one failure is permanent. Who cares if all your eggs are in one basket? If you fall, any number of baskets aren't going to protect those eggs. Expect a bankruptcy along the way, and if you avoid it, you're golden! If you don't, it isn't the end of the world.

I would personally suggest you go for whatever your true passion is, but get smart about how you do it. Don't worry about time. You have all the time in the world, and if you use it right, you just might find your way in time to enjoy the fruits of your own success. It's noble to want to help your family, but they are responsible for themselves. Take care of yourself first, and then if you want to help them, you'll have the means to do so. I have four adult children and six adult grandchildren. I don't expect any of them to support me. Chances are your parents and grandparents don't want that from you, either.

Best wishes!

Jaynotic

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 1, 2016
Hello everyone...

Scrapped that one.

Filmmaking... I do it for businesses. Look up Paul Xavier. He'll show you the way. It definitely IS NOT saturated when you focus on a business niche. Pick yourself up and go STICK to one thing. Then put all your eggs in one basket. It seems counter-intuitive, but if you have a proven system already in place... you run no risk. Just do the work. The filmmaking doesn't pay the bills because you don't have a system put in place to generate more business. Retainer business is the secret sauce when it comes to running a film-making business.

thomashoi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
375%
Apr 3, 2012
Singapore
@Costafarian I see that you are passionate in filmmaking. I think that’s a market gap between filmmakers and advertising.

See those videos that went viral on Facebook? Then later you found that the product became no. 1 best seller on amazon and went out of stock.

If you can create a story through your video, you can turn any product into best seller. But the only thing is you can’t advertise the product.

I’m actually looking to partner with filmmakers who can do tell a story. Send me a PM and we can discuss more.

Check out the Chewbacca mask video that went viral on Facebook. The mask went out of stock and the women got a book deal!!

View: https://www.facebook.com/candaceSpayne/videos/10209653193067040/

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

Costafarian

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Nov 23, 2018
Cape Cod, MA
You've posed some good ideas.

While self-publishing is crowded, I wouldn't dismiss it that quick. If you have the talent, the market will tell you. And there is no reason why you couldn't WRITE as well as pursue the tech support business. Give it a whirl -- once a reader tells you your story is the best thing he's read in years, you'll be hooked.

At this point, you just want to get some small wins. Wouldn't worry about CENTS too much.

And yes, 27 is just a baby in terms of the entrepreneurial journey.

Means a lot coming from you MJ, I appreciate the feedback. I've just been doing the retail sales thing living with my parents for over 5 years now, and its taken its toll.

And I don't drive, so its hard to find a decent paying job around town as it is. So it's mostly been entry level, minimum wage, soul crushing jobs for the most part.

Currently I'm building skills in sales and marketing, as I think those are very important for both a writing career and obviously a digital product business.

And if I can make good money without working for someone else, it'll be easier to get out of this stupid rut and out on my own again.

Costafarian

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Nov 23, 2018
Cape Cod, MA
But I wouldn't be so quick to shelve the filmmaking and writing ideas.

It is clear from your forum posts that you are an excellent writer.

If you already know how to write a screenplay, you have the structural tools in your belt to write an excellent novel.

Instead of being a nobody in a crowded field, your storytelling ability has the potential to make you stand out right off the bat. You would not be an average Joe trying to make it; you would be an outlier, someone whose natural talents make you the envy of those who have to work a lot harder than you to get the same results.

Can you pair your talents with the same kind of insane work ethic that people with no talent put in to get ahead?

It sounds like you are giving up too early, scrapping viable ideas precisely because they take a lot of work to get ramped up and moving.

I'm flattered that a lot of people see some form of talent in my casually writing on a forum. I studied screenwriting and storytelling for a solid half of my life so far. I care about it a lot and storytelling is more important to me than a lot of things in my life.

Screenwriting has its reputation of being notoriously hard to break in, and even when you do you really get zero control of the final product. As it goes through several filters of people who have the money and think they can tell a better story anyway.

Most of that attitude came from other naysayers who told me I wouldn't break in by living outside of LA, not having an agent, etc. etc. And I mostly ignored them, because I refused to listen to a bunch of forum crawling nobodies who haven't even had one of their scripts optioned before.

However I didn't want to put myself in that kind of position, as I'd rather be the guy writing the checks and running the production.

After five or so years of trying anything with it and getting nowhere but broke and moving back in with my folks. I just figured it was time to try something different.

Novels and self publishing at least leave me with the final say on the story and I retain creative license and control. As well as potentially being paid better, but I've not done it before. I made my new years resolution of 2018 to at least finish a novel.

I just couldn't settle on an idea, and never got around to it. I think it was mostly due to not knowing the best approach to outlining something 5 times as long as a screenplay. Outlining is the most important part of my writing process, and its pretty much where 75% of the work is done.

This year I intend to look into solving this issue, as finishing a novel is a bucket list achievement I would love to check off anyway.

I don't like the idea of the computer classes. Doesn't sound extremely viable to me. Almost every computer illiterate person these days has a nephew or a grandchild or something who will teach them for free.

I initially considered this, however the only reason I felt it wasn't a problem was a lot of our customers at the Apple Store either A) didn't actually have grandchildren. Or B) had annoyed their younger family members to the point of not wanting to help them at all. I felt that maybe giving them the tools to learn on their own would be a solid business venture.

I will test it anyway, as I can get faster results and feedback than I could writing a novel. Which could take much longer before I even see any initial feedback.

Costafarian

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Nov 23, 2018
Cape Cod, MA
I would personally suggest you go for whatever your true passion is, but get smart about how you do it. Don't worry about time. You have all the time in the world, and if you use it right, you just might find your way in time to enjoy the fruits of your own success. It's noble to want to help your family, but they are responsible for themselves. Take care of yourself first, and then if you want to help them, you'll have the means to do so. I have four adult children and six adult grandchildren. I don't expect any of them to support me. Chances are your parents and grandparents don't want that from you, either.

Best wishes!

I needed that, you are 100% right. Thanks for putting it into perspective for me. They are my world and it just pains me to be such a burden to them. Or maybe I just make myself seem like I'm a burden.

But you're right.

Thank you.

Costafarian

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Nov 23, 2018
Cape Cod, MA
Why don't you continue filmmaking?
If you don't think you can make it as a film maker think again.
The entertainment business is a multi-trillion industry. Salaries range in the six figures.

What are your strengths?
What's your Enneagram type?

If you can't make it with your strengths, why do you expect to make it in a business/industry you have little experience about?
Because you think its easier. There is no easy way out.

I just have gotten to the point where trying the same thing over and over and not getting anywhere calls for trying something new.

Not looking for something easy, just something that can show me some form of progress.

Costafarian

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Nov 23, 2018
Cape Cod, MA
Stay healthy man, that goes a long way.

I used to lift regularly, but this new job has a schedule thats different every week and it's hard to form a solid routine. I'm still figuring out how best to work around this.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
I just couldn't settle on an idea, and never got around to it. I think it was mostly due to not knowing the best approach to outlining something 5 times as long as a screenplay. Outlining is the most important part of my writing process, and its pretty much where 75% of the work is done.

This year I intend to look into solving this issue, as finishing a novel is a bucket list achievement I would love to check off anyway.

Have you read the book Save the Cat! by Blake Snyder? It contains a very specific outline (for screenwriting) that in my opinion would adapt itself perfectly to a novel. I see a lot of synergies between the two formats, as the most powerful stories and the most powerful films both follow a similar storyline arc. The best, most effective stories (in ANY format or medium) work when they align the most closely with the way our brains are wired to receive stories. And I think Save the Cat does a great job of pinning that down into a logical formula that anyone can grasp and reproduce.

Just because it's 5 times as long as a screenplay doesn't mean the structure has to be different. Give yourself 5 extra pages for every one page that you would have written on the screenplay and you're golden.

Or just write a short novel. No one says it has to be 500 pages. The Great Gatsby is only 47,094 words.

Costafarian

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Nov 23, 2018
Cape Cod, MA
Have you read the book Save the Cat! by Blake Snyder? It contains a very specific outline (for screenwriting) that in my opinion would adapt itself perfectly to a novel. I see a lot of synergies between the two formats, as the most powerful stories and the most powerful films both follow a similar storyline arc. The best, most effective stories (in ANY format or medium) work when they align the most closely with the way our brains are wired to receive stories. And I think Save the Cat does a great job of pinning that down into a logical formula that anyone can grasp and reproduce.

Just because it's 5 times as long as a screenplay doesn't mean the structure has to be different. Give yourself 5 extra pages for every one page that you would have written on the screenplay and you're golden.

Or just write a short novel. No one says it has to be 500 pages. The Great Gatsby is only 47,094 words.

I am very familiar with the book, as it was the basis for outlines of screenplays I've finished in the past. I just never thought it would fit the mold of a novel.

I'd give it a re-read and see what comes of it!

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Build a course on film-making and writing while working on projects.

A way of life

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 3, 2018
Sweden
@Costafarian I would take a day/week as long as you need to just sit down and think. I would start with nothing and just ask myself questions and try to find solutions. Just sit down and try to find your way what you really want to do. That's the best thing when you're unsure. Me myself am focusing on web design and starting my web design business while learning React.js. I think you can find something also.

Chris25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Aug 29, 2018
Europe

Your post started with describing your interests and goals, but as I kept reading on it started looking like a list of excuses to me. And I've been there too so I would know.

Stop making excuses about why you can't do these things and start actually doing something. If you're passionate about filmmaking you should be creating something every day! It doesn't matter how long it is or if it even has any special meaning. You can save it for your self, or preferably you can put it somewhere out there. Not for the views or for money, just for the purpose of your dream for starters. And bielive me that as soon as you start doing something, you will feel the inspiration come in like never before, and you will start seing the bigger picture of why you're passionate about this.

We are all passionate about something, and I bielive that you're just missing the bigger purpose. I mean of course you would like to help your family and all that good stuff, but there is always something more that is driving our passion. And the only way to find it is to start doing something about it, no matter how small. Just don't get stuck.

As far as I am concerned, writing and filmmaking go pretty good together as well. There are a million ways in which something that is written can be turned into film. Maybe right away, maybe in 5 years or maybe even by somebody else.

Make something every day, no excuse. Whatever that might be, and even if your videos are 1 minute long in a year from now you will have 300+ minutes of footage that tell a story. Remember this : )

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado

Many authors, including myself, have adapted the Save the Cat structure for novel-writing. Check out Worksheets for Writers | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author for several versions and more tools for planning.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.