The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Graduating soon, at a crossroads

andrew.ark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jun 28, 2020
Austin, TX
Hey all,

I just finished up The Millionaire Fastlane , and I don't think I've ever read a piece of literature that spoke to me more than this book. To give you a brief background, I'm a math major at a top state school in the US, graduating in December with a 4.0 (which I'm aware in this forum means virtually nothing). I'm also graduating with a negligible amount of debt, thankfully. About a year ago, I decided to really take control of my education, and I began to teach myself how to program. Fast forward to today, and now I'm quite good at programming, and I can honestly say that programming was the only useful thing I got out of college despite teaching it to myself (i.e. college was useless to me from an educational standpoint).

Because of my passion for coding, I decided that I wanted to work as a software engineer when I graduated, preferably at a large tech company (Google, Facebook, etc.). Currently, I'm working as a data scientist at an F25 energy company for the summer, and this job is the reason I discovered the millionaire fastlane . Only after a few days, I realized how much of a scam (for lack of a better word) the 9-5 life is. I'm building out models that make/save my company hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars, and I'm getting paid 30 an hour for it. Huh? I realize this can come off as bratty, but I know for a fact I can do better.

Here's where my crossroads intersect: in my free time outside of work, I've been incessantly doing interview prep (Leetcode for you tech savvy readers). The thing is, Leetcode is almost only useful for interviewing, and outside of it, it teaches you problem solving skills (which is vital to any profession) but not really anything else. On the other hand, I have a startup idea that I really believe in (who doesn't lol), and it passes the litmus test/commandments that MJ lists out in TMF for a solid business. My business partner and I quickly built out an MVP, and we think with a year's worth of solid work, we can have something that could be quite profitable. Now, I can't really do both interview prep and this business all at the same time, because as MJ says, monogamy over polygamy. I really want to just say screw it to the dreams of being a software engineer at Google because my current job has shown me that I despise the 9-5 life, and a job at Google will be virtually no different. However, I'm afraid of graduating college with no job. I'm lucky enough to say that I come from an upper middle class family, so I wouldn't be on the streets if my startup failed, but there's still that fear that I'm shooting myself in the foot by not focusing my time on recruiting (again, this is probably part of the slowlane brainwashing I've been taught my society and family). This entire situation has been causing my overall discipline to dwindle due to paralysis by analysis, and I need to make a decision ASAP so that I stop wasting time switching between interview prep and working on the startup.

With all this being said, what would you do if you were in my position? I believe that I have the capability to create something for myself, and I hate the 9-5 life. However, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by not getting a good job at a top tech company.

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to learning from all of you in the future.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

David H

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 23, 2020
United States, California
Welcome! I'm new here too, and trying to figure out my next steps, but I've been programming for ~20 years (10 years in the game industry, 10 years at a tech giant).

If you send me a private message, I'd be happy to set up a quick video conference chat sometime (I'm in the PST timezone), and we can at least discuss what a traditional path has looked like for me.

andrew.ark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jun 28, 2020
Austin, TX
Welcome! I'm new here too, and trying to figure out my next steps, but I've been programming for ~20 years (10 years in the game industry, 10 years at a tech giant).

If you send me a private message, I'd be happy to set up a quick video conference chat sometime (I'm in the PST timezone), and we can at least discuss what a traditional path has looked like for me.
Hey David, thanks for the response. I'm not totally sure how to send a PM, so if you could send one to me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

David H

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 23, 2020
United States, California
Hey David, thanks for the response. I'm not totally sure how to send a PM, so if you could send one to me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

I could do that, but in the spirit of entrepreneurship, I'll wait on you to decide if reaching out to me is worth it (for your path, it might not be!) and, if so, taking the time to figure it out for yourself. ;) No worries either way!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andrew.ark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jun 28, 2020
Austin, TX
I could do that, but in the spirit of entrepreneurship, I'll wait on you to decide if reaching out to me is worth it (for your path, it might not be!) and, if so, taking the time to figure it out for yourself. ;) No worries either way!
Sounds good. I've been looking for a "PMs" or "conversations" or "DMs" button everywhere on your profile but I can't seem to find anything. Time to test my work ethic and see if I can manage to figure something out hahaha

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...