The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fear and Action-Faking in Entrepreneurship-- a 19 year old's guide to askholing.

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia
Whatever, I'll just delete my account then. My little username and picture will still be in the comments so you guys can hold a yearly candlelight vigil and continue to research me while wiping away tears long after I'm gone.

To be perfectly honest, I'm less worried about you guys showing up at my front door asking for autographs and more worried about my techniques becoming mega saturated when I break through in these coming weeks and post it on here. It'd be one thing if everyone was a bit more respectful to me on this forum but everyone hates me so it's like eh, what's the point of even doing so.

I think we've can all agree we've had great fun here circlejerking eachother for 11+ pages. Btw, MJ, I'm almost done with your first book and it's one of those rare books that isn't that good in the beginning but really picks up steam at the end. 90% of the time I find it to be the other way around-- a book chooses a topic, you understand it in the first few chapters, and then it spends the other 70% of the book hammering on it at every minute angle til you're rolling your eyes. Overall I like it a lot and will be getting Unscripted too.

Love you all. Hugs and kisses. XOXOXO. Bye.

View attachment 15465

I'ma try not bash on you, and just give my opinion (which, what does that even matter to you). My bad if obviously many others have already said this stuff. I'll probably end up deleting this post anyway because I hate posting negative stuff. Especially when its seem's there has been a lot of shit thrown your way.

Firstly, this is the worst and best thread on this forum by far. The worst because it is the most unmotivating thing i have read and it actually angers me that I myself have read it and am replying to it. The best thread because sometimes knowing what not to do/act is just as important as knowing what to do.
-------
EDIT: thought i'd add what in my mind you have going for you.

Here's what you have going for you in my mind. You can easily speak your mind (ability and willingness to to speak your mind in business is important) and you have the ability to 'not give a F*ck' as you say (which can be useful when you need to work hard to grow a business in a sea of people who say it wont work), and lastly, you at least have some semblance of where you want to be (better than most). All of these things are can be positive things in the right context. But smart people know which tools to use and when (You can't hammer with glue, nor is a hammer always the right tool).
----------
Now, on to the rest of what I think you could work on:

1.) Your mindset/attitude is holding you back, you are not ready for the success you want. You mentioned your phenny usage has opened your eyes/mind, thats bullshit. I don't think i've ever heard of someone going through a metaphysical mindfuck change and talk like you. Anytime i've partaked in a drug and read through pitches/notes/messages that i've done... it's followed by deep thoughts why I sucked an what i could be doing better. Not saying you should do more drugs, but if you do, come back and read this thread when your high as balls, if there isn't some type of regret, your probably not ready for the success you want.

2.) You came to this forum for help, and have asked for it, but have not taken any feedback given. Do this with real customers when you have a 'business', your business will be on the path to failure. It seems like your asking for help, but instead of listening, you're thinking about the next thing your going to say. Reading books, yadda yadda doesn't mean shit if you can seriously look at yourself and say 'this is where i suck' and heres how i can make it better.

3.) I briefly read through the rest of your posts but wouldn't read through all because it was depressing af. You mentioned a bunch of times that you already know this or that (bringing customer value is a specific example).... again, from my perspective... untrue. Unless you've been able to implement and make money off it, you dont know it. Experience without results is F*cking pointless, that's not to say experience isn't useful though. One of the wisest things i've realized is that I don't know shit, which is why I have to keep learning.

4.) Read through your posts, if you were an a founder looking to take your business to the next level, would you partner with you? seriously....

5.) might not be for all, but for me, I've realized to be truly successful you need the help of others. You need people that will go through walls for you. Even after all the shit you've talked, people are still trying to help. That shit isn't going to continue to happen. No one wants to help a dick. YOu might say ohhh steve jobs... blah blah blah. NO! There is a difference in being a dick to achieve the greater mission and vision.... and just being a dick.

6.) Lastly, it seems like your still young, so you have plenty of time to learn and grow. Also, there are plenty of dicks out there that are successful, so regardless, you have that (theres no one way to live in the fastlane or be successful so chart your own path - but only fools ignore experience of those who've done it) . But there are many many many more successful non dickish people out there. Think in your group of people you know, what's the ratio of successful non dicks to dicks (Sorry community for language)?

This post got long af, but man, best of luck to you, hope you really do achieve your goals and make bank. Nobody in here really has time or cares to wish that you don't succeed..... that would only mean that we are hindering ourselves with that mindset. Who knows.... you could be an inspiration to all the people out there who share your view and thought process.

Good luck.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'ma try not bash on you, and just give my opinion (which, what does that even matter to you). My bad if obviously many others have already said this stuff. I'll probably end up deleting this post anyway because I hate posting negative stuff. Especially when its seem's there has been a lot of shit thrown your way.

Firstly, this is the worst and best thread on this forum by far. The worst because it is the most unmotivating thing i have read and it actually angers me that I myself have read it and am replying to it. The best thread because sometimes knowing what not to do/act is just as important as knowing what to do.
-------
EDIT: thought i'd add what in my mind you have going for you.

Here's what you have going for you in my mind. You can easily speak your mind (ability and willingness to to speak your mind in business is important) and you have the ability to 'not give a F*ck' as you say (which can be useful when you need to work hard to grow a business in a sea of people who say it wont work), and lastly, you at least have some semblance of where you want to be (better than most). All of these things are can be positive things in the right context. But smart people know which tools to use and when (You can't hammer with glue, nor is a hammer always the right tool).
----------
Now, on to the rest of what I think you could work on:

1.) Your mindset/attitude is holding you back, you are not ready for the success you want. You mentioned your phenny usage has opened your eyes/mind, thats bullshit. I don't think i've ever heard of someone going through a metaphysical mindfuck change and talk like you. Anytime i've partaked in a drug and read through pitches/notes/messages that i've done... it's followed by deep thoughts why I sucked an what i could be doing better. Not saying you should do more drugs, but if you do, come back and read this thread when your high as balls, if there isn't some type of regret, your probably not ready for the success you want.

2.) You came to this forum for help, and have asked for it, but have not taken any feedback given. Do this with real customers when you have a 'business', your business will be on the path to failure. It seems like your asking for help, but instead of listening, you're thinking about the next thing your going to say. Reading books, yadda yadda doesn't mean shit if you can seriously look at yourself and say 'this is where i suck' and heres how i can make it better.

3.) I briefly read through the rest of your posts but wouldn't read through all because it was depressing af. You mentioned a bunch of times that you already know this or that (bringing customer value is a specific example).... again, from my perspective... untrue. Unless you've been able to implement and make money off it, you dont know it. Experience without results is F*cking pointless, that's not to say experience isn't useful though. One of the wisest things i've realized is that I don't know shit, which is why I have to keep learning.

4.) Read through your posts, if you were an a founder looking to take your business to the next level, would you partner with you? seriously....

5.) might not be for all, but for me, I've realized to be truly successful you need the help of others. You need people that will go through walls for you. Even after all the shit you've talked, people are still trying to help. That shit isn't going to continue to happen. No one wants to help a dick. YOu might say ohhh steve jobs... blah blah blah. NO! There is a difference in being a dick to achieve the greater mission and vision.... and just being a dick.

6.) Lastly, it seems like your still young, so you have plenty of time to learn and grow. Also, there are plenty of dicks out there that are successful, so regardless, you have that (theres no one way to live in the fastlane or be successful so chart your own path - but only fools ignore experience of those who've done it) . But there are many many many more successful non dickish people out there. Think in your group of people you know, what's the ratio of successful non dicks to dicks (Sorry community for language)?

This post got long af, but man, best of luck to you, hope you really do achieve your goals and make bank. Nobody in here really has time or cares to wish that you don't succeed..... that would only mean that we are hindering ourselves with that mindset. Who knows.... you could be an inspiration to all the people out there who share your view and thought process.

Good luck.

Rep++

Must read for @LordPhenny -- too bad he might miss it because guess who wants his account deleted.

"Dear Amazon, please delete my account from your website as I don't feel my product is a fit for your customers."

Perhaps it isn't the customers, it's your product.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Hopefully we can just chalk this all up to a 19 year old kid who has a pretty easy living situation and no real responsibilities.

There is still hope for you, but you should treat you business like a side business for now and go get a job that pays you more than $8 a day. I am pretty sure you will make more than the $3000 in a year than you are currently making.

A lot of us still work jobs while we work on our business. It isn't a complete curse while this process is moving.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Per OP's request, OP's forum account has been deleted.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Per OP's request, OP's forum account has been deleted.

As per the precedent of this train derailment of a thread I will respond in meme form.

CUjDu4ZUsAAvtQ1.jpg:large

Oh.. no.. so sad...

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
cant believe this shit hole of a thread kept going.

Legend has it that @lordphenny is still making $8/day.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
OK, I just read this whole thread.

Wow.. just wow. I am not proud of a majority of decisions I have made in my life, and I know they are all online and what not. Success and failures, but at least nothing related to rallies and drug use. Ouch!

This is the the best read I have had all day prior to Irma hitting. I mean the motivation here. The accountability on all the wrong things. Fine people of this forum. Please if I ever do what Lord Phenny does, please call me out! I beg you to help!

That said I think this is the perfect example of all the wrong things and outside of continuing the public display of a poor lost soul, this should provide so much motivation for anyone that is legit trying to do something.

Also, pretty happy to see @Spicymemer45 success and working it like someone who wants it! Good job man!! You kept it a lot nicer than I think I would have after being called out by that guy.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
perfect example how drugs & alcohol ***** up ur mind

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
Anyone else a bit sad about this? I actually thought he was slowly getting somewhere but he did a total 180 and turned into a right dick again.

It's a shame, he would have benefited so much from staying on this forum.

Mr.Brandtastic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Sep 27, 2017
Parents' House
Wow, this thread has been absolutely phenomenal. I'm so glad I took the time to read it.

I haven't laughed this hard in ages.

I only do drugs (blank times) per month/year: Always a lie. Just like saying when people say they can quit anytime they want. He's lying, he probably does it every day along with a litany of other drugs.

But interesting other little quirks, one is the consistent reading 10-20-30-40% percent of books or skimming them. This is almost a classic action-faker sign. Not being able to pick up a book and read it start to finish. Telling people goofy percentages or "I skimmed this or that part" is silly. My uncle does the same thing with his book collection and he's a huge action-faker. Maybe it's a sign.

And worst for last, waking up in the afternoon. Jesus Christ, 4 p.m.?! I've never slept that late in my entire life. I would feel horribly embarrassed and angry if I ever did. But again these types of hours are typical for, you guessed it, drug addicted losers.

I want him to succeed but he must change his ways. His inconsistent behavior is the cornerstone of the sidewalk.

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
Unfortunately, I'm not ONLY 19 years old and stumbling across this forum. :(

College Dropout

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
Wow, this thread has been absolutely phenomenal. I'm so glad I took the time to read it.

I haven't laughed this hard in ages.

I only do drugs (blank times) per month/year: Always a lie. Just like saying when people say they can quit anytime they want. He's lying, he probably does it every day along with a litany of other drugs.

But interesting other little quirks, one is the consistent reading 10-20-30-40% percent of books or skimming them. This is almost a classic action-faker sign. Not being able to pick up a book and read it start to finish. Telling people goofy percentages or "I skimmed this or that part" is silly. My uncle does the same thing with his book collection and he's a huge action-faker. Maybe it's a sign.

And worst for last, waking up in the afternoon. Jesus Christ, 4 p.m.?! I've never slept that late in my entire life. I would feel horribly embarrassed and angry if I ever did. But again these types of hours are typical for, you guessed it, drug addicted losers.

I want him to succeed but he must change his ways. His inconsistent behavior is the cornerstone of the sidewalk.

Since this thread is pretty much done, I thought I might take it in another direction. Take the drugs and weird sleep schedule out of the equation and I'm honestly in a similar boat in terms of action-faking. I'm 19, I dropped out of college for the semester (and probably the foreseeable future), and I'm living with my parents for the next few months. I scored a 31 on my ACT and graduated with a decent GPA from a nice private school, funded by my eye surgeon father's impressive income. I was attending a private college on a fairly substantial academic scholarship in a beautiful state and met lots of great people while there. But, my issues caught up with me and I wound up back at home after only a few months. For the past few weeks, I have been sitting around the house all day trying to figure out how to succeed as an entrepreneur, or at least get to a position where I can fail and learn. I envision an unscripted life where I am free to live as I please and pursue my dreams. This is not a new aspiration and this is not my first time pursuing entrepreneurship but I am now in a position where I am able to pursue it full time, without distraction. However, I end up caught in a cycle of analysis paralysis coupled with action-faking, a poor work ethic, and pleasure seeking. I read and re-read MJ's books and browse this forum daily but I never get anything done. Growing up, I had my fare share of issues, which I attempted to hide from using the virtual reality and entertainment hyper-realities mentioned in Unscripted . In essence, I kept to myself, watched tons of television, and played video games for hours on end day in and day out. I had no friends, my parents divorced, and I was taking multiple medications for anxiety, etc. Middle school through graduation was basically one big blur of disassociation and excessive screen time. Please excuse my life story. What I am getting at is that for 19 years, I have never had to do anything but sit around feeling f**ked up in the head while spoon-feeding myself instant gratification in the form of media. But, now I have all of a sudden I am able to see something better, a life where instead of sitting around in my underwear surfing the internet, I can wake up in the morning and feel a sense of accomplishment and purpose. The issue? Old habits are hard to break, especially when you don't know anything different. This morning I told myself I was going to re-read Unscripted from start to finish today. I am fifty pages in and it's about to be midnight. How do I progress from an action faker and frankly, a good for nothing loser, to someone who actually deserves the gratification and purpose associated with unscripted entrepreneurship? My back is against the wall. My worst enemy is in my behavior. It needs to change if I am ever going to be worth anything. But how? If this post sounds self, centered, it's because it is. I'm in the middle of the ocean and I haven't got the faintest clue how to swim.

smark

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
Since this thread is pretty much done, I thought I might take it in another direction. Take the drugs and weird sleep schedule out of the equation and I'm honestly in a similar boat in terms of action-faking. I'm 19, I dropped out of college for the semester (and probably the foreseeable future), and I'm living with my parents for the next few months. I scored a 31 on my ACT and graduated with a decent GPA from a nice private school, funded by my eye surgeon father's impressive income. I was attending a private college on a fairly substantial academic scholarship in a beautiful state and met lots of great people while there. But, my issues caught up with me and I wound up back at home after only a few months. For the past few weeks, I have been sitting around the house all day trying to figure out how to succeed as an entrepreneur, or at least get to a position where I can fail and learn. I envision an unscripted life where I am free to live as I please and pursue my dreams. This is not a new aspiration and this is not my first time pursuing entrepreneurship but I am now in a position where I am able to pursue it full time, without distraction. However, I end up caught in a cycle of analysis paralysis coupled with action-faking, a poor work ethic, and pleasure seeking. I read and re-read MJ's books and browse this forum daily but I never get anything done. Growing up, I had my fare share of issues, which I attempted to hide from using the virtual reality and entertainment hyper-realities mentioned in Unscripted . In essence, I kept to myself, watched tons of television, and played video games for hours on end day in and day out. I had no friends, my parents divorced, and I was taking multiple medications for anxiety, etc. Middle school through graduation was basically one big blur of disassociation and excessive screen time. Please excuse my life story. What I am getting at is that for 19 years, I have never had to do anything but sit around feeling f**ked up in the head while spoon-feeding myself instant gratification in the form of media. But, now I have all of a sudden I am able to see something better, a life where instead of sitting around in my underwear surfing the internet, I can wake up in the morning and feel a sense of accomplishment and purpose. The issue? Old habits are hard to break, especially when you don't know anything different. This morning I told myself I was going to re-read Unscripted from start to finish today. I am fifty pages in and it's about to be midnight. How do I progress from an action faker and frankly, a good for nothing loser, to someone who actually deserves the gratification and purpose associated with unscripted entrepreneurship? My back is against the wall. My worst enemy is in my behavior. It needs to change if I am ever going to be worth anything. But how? If this post sounds self, centered, it's because it is. I'm in the middle of the ocean and I haven't got the faintest clue how to swim.

I'm not sure as to whether dropping out of college was necessarily a good idea, as from what I understand you have yet to achieve financial independence. However, that is your life and I'm not here to tell you how to live it.

With that being said, the best thing for you to do right now since you're "in the middle of the ocean" as you say, is to swim while trying not to drown. Just start SOMETHING. That can be affiliate marketing, eCommerce, or whatever. Just do anything you can to get good at that (and hopefully make money out of it) while learning as much in the process. Doing this will teach you more than all the books you could ever read.

Good luck.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How do I progress from an action faker and frankly, a good for nothing loser, to someone who actually deserves the gratification and purpose associated with unscripted entrepreneurship?

Start taking and winning value challenges. Little wins are OK. If you read Unscripted , you know what that is.

Then find your problem/challenge and solve it. Be lead by the solution and be value-driven.

College Dropout

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
I'm not sure as to whether dropping out of college was necessarily a good idea, as from what I understand you have yet to achieve financial independence. However, that is your life and I'm not here to tell you how to live it.

With that being said, the best thing for you to do right now since you're "in the middle of the ocean" as you say, is to swim while trying not to drown. Just start SOMETHING. That can be affiliate marketing, eCommerce, or whatever. Just do anything you can to get good at that (and hopefully make money out of it) while learning as much in the process. Doing this will teach you more than all the books you could ever read.

Good luck.

I will spare you and the rest of the forum the details, but I did not have much of a choice in terms of dropping out. However, I am strongly considering applying for other colleges simply because I feel that it's important to be around people my age and to avoid stagnation. Perhaps I will major in marketing, as this seems to be the most relevant major I can think of to what I would like to do. It's also an extremely interesting area of study in my opinion. I would be going on my father's dime due to an agreement that occurred while my parents where divorcing, so it would cost me next to nothing. Ideally, I would find a state-school with a decent social scene and relatively easy academics so that I could focus on my entrepreneurial endeavors and hopefully meet others who are trying to do the same.

In other news, I have decided to give up all of my pleasure-seeking vices (netflix, youtube, going out to movies, mid-day napping, staying up all night etc.) and take a more disciplined approach towards daily life. Instead of drowning out my life's problems, I'm going to face them and improve. Sinking back into these vices feels like poisoning my soul at this point, and it has for a while. My life, from now on, consists of sleep, food, gym time, and action. If this is the wrong approach, please tell me! I must admit, it feels fantastic though, not in a pleasure-seeking way but in more of a tough gym session kind of way.

I am very much interested in pursuing eCommerce and I have been reading up on it and trying for well over a year now. I suppose I could use some guidance. I guess that's what gold threads are for huh? I would like to find some sort of physical product I can improve, have it manufactured, and sell it through a Shopify store and/or various other channels (amazon, ebay, etc.) I just don't really know where to start. I'm stuck at the idea stage. My problem thus far, aside from a lack of knowledge and experience, has been in the fact that I have no real set process or plan to follow paired with my lack of focus/ discipline. Chapter 39 of Unscripted on "Kinetic Execution" is certainly a fantastic start but I am still getting lost in some of the more eCommerce specific variables that I am unfamiliar with such as picking a winning product and coming up with a digital marketing plan. I need to find a set process so that I will no longer be trapped in a state of analysis paralysis and then I need to get to work while sticking to this process.

Thank you to all who are reading and responding to this! I have a feeling that in the near future I might just be worth the clothes on my back.

Last edited:

Dan1el

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Mar 26, 2016
This thread is a clear example on why I love this forum. A complete troll shows up posting stuff that would turn 90% of the places on internet into a total shithole. But not here. Instead TONS of value gets provided and it turns out to be an amazing thread that could change the course of life to any action faking entrepreneur out there.

Hell even im fired up after reading this haha. This thread is a good slap in the face to anyone playing business!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.