The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Struggling 24 year old, trying to master brainstorming and picking something to run with...

DrScream

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Oct 4, 2019
So I'll try to keep this concise because I'm sure all of you are super busy.

I'm 24 years old. Currently making about $50k per year at a job I can't stand. I consider myself of above average intelligence but I find that my job (customer service at a train station throwing bags) could literally be done by a monkey. I'm blessed to have a good paying job but that isn't what my heart desires. I'd much rather work a shittier job while working on growing something on the side.

The issue I'm having is that "on the side" thing. I've taken GaryVee's advice about trying new things in your 20s and that it's okay to keep starting over when you find what you're doing isn't bringing you joy but that advice contradicts MJ DeMarco's advice from the book about how you won't really love things until they bring in the results you were expecting (in this case money to supplement a cheaper lifestyle).

My bills at the moment don't exceed $1200 per month. I can get it even lower if I needed to quit my job today and find a roommate to rent with.

The few ideas I've had that I kind of fell short of were:
- A Mushroom growing business
- An online course teaching people to grow their own mushrooms (advertised via google adwords and other influencers).
- A Hotdog Cart that would allow me to make my own hours and still bring in enough to get by while trying to gain clarity. This business would also allow me to spend more time in my brainstorming stage rather than servicing customers for that company I work for at the moment.
- Digital Marketing Agency (Moved away from it but I'm glad I dabbled in it because I learned a lot for marketing).
- YouTube Life Coaching as I've found I'm really good at talking to people about their life issues and directing them with a slight nudge towards a better path. However, GaryVee said that if you're a 20 year old life coach that you haven't truly lived life and should look elsewhere first and when you're wiser you could offer much more help from a place of authority.
- Gaming YT Channel. obviously moved away from it because I don't have that big of a drive for it lol

I really want to make this entrepreneurship work and I've always had this tendency to make money online, albeit in more blackhat ways. I'm going to go longboarding at the beach in a bit and spend some time thinking about my next move but I wanted to ask what you guys think about all of this. I know my brain needs to be working on multiple things at a time because of my ADHD nature. I can't stick to one thing because that never works out for me. I end up dropping it and being stuck in a depressive episode until the next thing catches me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Aussie Dan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Dec 16, 2019
Bunbury WA

I'm 24 years old. Currently making about $50k per year at a job I can't stand. I consider myself of above average intelligence but I find that my job (customer service at a train station throwing bags) could literally be done by a monkey. I'm blessed to have a good paying job but that isn't what my heart desires. I'd much rather work a shittier job while working on growing something on the side.

The issue I'm having is that "on the side" thing. I've taken GaryVee's advice about trying new things in your 20s and that it's okay to keep starting over when you find what you're doing isn't bringing you joy but that advice contradicts MJ DeMarco's advice from the book about how you won't really love things until they bring in the results you were expecting (in this case money to supplement a cheaper lifestyle).

My bills at the moment don't exceed $1200 per month. I can get it even lower if I needed to quit my job today and find a roommate to rent with.

- An online course teaching people to grow their own mushrooms (advertised via google adwords and other influencers).
- A Hotdog Cart that would allow me to make my own hours and still bring in enough to get by while trying to gain clarity. This business would also allow me to spend more time in my brainstorming stage rather than servicing customers for that company I work for at the moment.
- Digital Marketing Agency (Moved away from it but I'm glad I dabbled in it because I learned a lot for marketing).
- YouTube Life Coaching as I've found I'm really good at talking to people about their life issues and directing them with a slight nudge towards a better path. However, GaryVee said that if you're a 20 year old life coach that you haven't truly lived life and should look elsewhere first and when you're wiser you could offer much more help from a place of authority.
- Gaming YT Channel. obviously moved away from it because I don't have that big of a drive for it lol

I really want to make this entrepreneurship work and I've always had this tendency to make money online, albeit in more blackhat ways. I'm going to go longboarding at the beach in a bit and spend some time thinking about my next move but I wanted to ask what you guys think about all of this. I know my brain needs to be working on multiple things at a time because of my ADHD nature. I can't stick to one thing because that never works out for me. I end up dropping it and being stuck in a depressive episode until the next thing catches me.
24 is a great age to start questioning life goals and aspirations, so well done on beginning this new journey.

No real advice from me except for some encouragement to never give up on your financial, mental, physical, social and spiritual goals. Take control of your destiny :smile:

DrScream

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Oct 4, 2019
24 is a great age to start questioning life goals and aspirations, so well done on beginning this new journey.

No real advice from me except for some encouragement to never give up on your financial, mental, physical, social and spiritual goals. Take control of your destiny :smile:
Thanks for the kind words. Looking forward to figuring it all out haha

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I really want to make this entrepreneurship work
I can't stick to one thing because that never works out for me
These two comments are in direct opposition to each other.

Sticking to one thing hasn't worked out for you...

Yet.

But if you believe it never will, that attitude will hold you back in your entrepreneurial journey.

I like GV's advice about trying new things and accumulating knowledge along the way. You'll get there. Be patient with yourself.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Dude... You are hustling like a MF. Keep doing it. The right idea will find you.

Every little thing that you take action on is giving you life experience. Learnings that you need to have. Keep doing that!

Watch for things in life that are causing pain for you and others. Look at old-school businesses that are operating in an antiquated fashion. Keep an eye out for inefficiencies. And, yeah, do some idea brainstorming. @ZCP

Brainstorming can be done on a broad level for ideas all the way down to the fine tuning level.

With regards for hating your job. There are multiple thoughts on this subject. I loved my job and was very content. That actually helped me because I was able to start my business in a great frame of mind.

On the flip side. Look up @AllenCrawley . Find his post on "Does it hurt bad enough".

Keep moving! You will get there.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Also I'd say don't just brainstorm, go around and FIND THE NEED FOR X. Then sell that X. I feel that's where your brainstorming should start, not before.

Or both ways, but more like this: Check everything that interests you, your hobbies, what you do in daily life, your work processes, those are the easiest ones because you have knowledge of them. But be looking for everything. Find the inefficiencies and build a solution. :)

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

Obviously we cant make your choices for you, but you should really try and stick with one thing.
Multitasking is a trap.
I think you`ve misunderstood Gary`s advice.
Its not about flip flopping from one idea to the next, but "trying" before moving to the next.

By entreprenuership, what do you mean?
What does that mean to you?

D

Deleted72149

1. you are not "struggling" shoeless joe suffering from drug addiction sleeping on chicago public transit is "struggling". outside looking in you are doing great. keep crushing it.
2. take some of that 50k a year and tithe, give to a good cause, find a way to give back. next save. next invest in a business that excites you. not a business that will make you money. one that excites you. Pick something you would stick with whether you were paid or not. that way when you take your inevitable l's as a beginning entrepreneur you can stick with it teenaciously,

3. next this very important. find a path of mastery. a game that you want to be great at. somewhere you can spend hours training by yourself. for jordan i was the gae of baskeball. for dwayne the rock johnson it is the weight room. arnold s. as well. you will begin spending more and more time on your game. getting great at what you o. wheher that be entrpreneurship. hair styling. whatever. find that path of master.

4 even more important than the former suggestions. CELEBRATE LIFE!. youu are 24 making 50k. talking about you are struglling. the only struggle i see is an inability to count your own blessing. step back and cultivate some joy in your life. a social circle you are happy with that is healthy and nourishing. find friends that you love to spend money on (philanthropists, hot women ( i met a woman who i loved to take out for food. to be in a position to feed this being and enjoy her company was hella motivation to grind even harder. some people would call that a waste... but whatever) find people you love to spend money with. spend it lavishily abudnatly gratuititously (with moderation of course) money breeds money. find organizations you can throw big events for. a $500 ice cream party for a cause you care about will set our soul ablaze. i guarantee it let money be the gas of your lovely life. ifif you are living a dry life money will just be a plague that causees bills and strife. so celebrate life

5 this is the sage wisdom of my grandmother.
rejoice!

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Hey there and incredible what a similar situation you and me find ourselves in!

Im 26, earn the same annual salary as you and have a very similar background.

Let me tell you what changed EVERYTHING for me about 8 months ago:

I changed a shit load of stuff in my life, all at once:

- I broke up with my girlfriend (perhaps wasnt absolutely neccessary, but it deffinetly sped up my entrepreneurial journey)
- I moved to a completely new city (Hamburg), where I knew nobody
- Once I moved, I was very selective about my social circle and the people I let into it as well as the people that I spent time with

Here's what ended up happening:

After moving, I started networking a lot and going to business events. At one of those events, I met a guy who was around our age and we became friends. He was also into making money online and was selling his own products on Amazon FBA. He also introduced me to a lot of his friends, many that he knew since kindergarten, that were all into dropshipping/online business (in total, a group of approximately 7 people that are all into online business).

In December last year, these guys all got a membership at WeWork, a co-working space. My friend invited me to join once and after I did, I immediately signed up as well (Membership is 180 Euros per month). Signing up for this membership, has been one of the best investments I have ever made in my life. The place is full of freelancers (that can provide all sorts of skills you might need), entrepreneurial personalities, startups, sales people and most of all, online entrepreneurs. Its the best place to get like-minded people around you and find mentors to skip years from your learning curve.

I really suggest you checkout a co-working space or something similar. Either way, the main takeaway I hope you are getting from my story, is that ENVIRONMENT IS EVERYTHING and the 5 people that are around you most ABSOLUTELY MATTER.

For me, I thought I was hustling, little did I know.... once I started working besides these guys daily at wework, I realized how I was not even in second gear... Incredible.

Looking forward to your progress on the thread and hope you also never give up bro! Once you get the ball rolling, the journey is fking amazing and the way towards millions is just as fun, probably even more fun than when you reached your goals :)

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
I'm going to go longboarding at the beach in a bit and spend some time thinking about my next move but I wanted to ask what you guys think about all of this.
Surfing is where I do my best brainstorming and thinking about life!

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
Also I'd say don't just brainstorm, go around and FIND THE NEED FOR X. Then sell that X. I feel that's where your brainstorming should start, not before.

Or both ways, but more like this: Check everything that interests you, your hobbies, what you do in daily life, your work processes, those are the easiest ones because you have knowledge of them. But be looking for everything. Find the inefficiencies and build a solution. :)
Thankyou for your insights really interesting can it also be that I can take existing business models and improve them the product or the service or the revenue model subscription like etc

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
Hey there and incredible what a similar situation you and me find ourselves in!

Im 26, earn the same annual salary as you and have a very similar background.

Let me tell you what changed EVERYTHING for me about 8 months ago:

I changed a shit load of stuff in my life, all at once:

- I broke up with my girlfriend (perhaps wasnt absolutely neccessary, but it deffinetly sped up my entrepreneurial journey)
- I moved to a completely new city (Hamburg), where I knew nobody
- Once I moved, I was very selective about my social circle and the people I let into it as well as the people that I spent time with

Here's what ended up happening:

After moving, I started networking a lot and going to business events. At one of those events, I met a guy who was around our age and we became friends. He was also into making money online and was selling his own products on Amazon FBA. He also introduced me to a lot of his friends, many that he knew since kindergarten, that were all into dropshipping/online business (in total, a group of approximately 7 people that are all into online business).

In December last year, these guys all got a membership at WeWork, a co-working space. My friend invited me to join once and after I did, I immediately signed up as well (Membership is 180 Euros per month). Signing up for this membership, has been one of the best investments I have ever made in my life. The place is full of freelancers (that can provide all sorts of skills you might need), entrepreneurial personalities, startups, sales people and most of all, online entrepreneurs. Its the best place to get like-minded people around you and find mentors to skip years from your learning curve.

I really suggest you checkout a co-working space or something similar. Either way, the main takeaway I hope you are getting from my story, is that ENVIRONMENT IS EVERYTHING and the 5 people that are around you most ABSOLUTELY MATTER.

For me, I thought I was hustling, little did I know.... once I started working besides these guys daily at wework, I realized how I was not even in second gear... Incredible.

Looking forward to your progress on the thread and hope you also never give up bro! Once you get the ball rolling, the journey is fking amazing and the way towards millions is just as fun, probably even more fun than when you reached your goals :)
Very inspiring Story man keep it up how did you meet that guy was it on a on-line platform

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
I like Gary Vee's Trash Talk Episodes. He got me started.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Start a home services business.

With hustle and work ethic like you have, you can easily replace your 50k/year job income within a month or two. I'm talking EASILY.

Cleaning rain gutters and washing windows doesn't require a genius no, but it will give you experience in customer service, scheduling, pricing, timing, hiring, firing, efficiency, tough situations, and most importantly, spark a "win" for you instead of a failure.

Run with it if you like, or if you don't, use it to replace your income while working 1/4th the hours, and start something else.

I'm also not seeing a single down turn due to Coronavirus right now, just FYI. This can still be executed upon TODAY.

DrScream

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Oct 4, 2019
Start a home services business.

With hustle and work ethic like you have, you can easily replace your 50k/year job income within a month or two. I'm talking EASILY.

Cleaning rain gutters and washing windows doesn't require a genius no, but it will give you experience in customer service, scheduling, pricing, timing, hiring, firing, efficiency, tough situations, and most importantly, spark a "win" for you instead of a failure.

Run with it if you like, or if you don't, use it to replace your income while working 1/4th the hours, and start something else.

I'm also not seeing a single down turn due to Coronavirus right now, just FYI. This can still be executed upon TODAY.
Thanks for the advice. As a young guy I always forget that actual service businesses can still create a nice income...

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I was trolling alibaba and found hand sanitizer for .20 cents for 2k peices, at a $400 investment you could mb sell all of them for 10-20k in retail value.

Every grocery store is sold out because of this corona bs.

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
I hear you on the "pressure" to get started and be successful. I remember feeling the same way when I was 24.

This is going to be a journey of growth, learning and most likely also failing on the way before reaching your dream levels of success..

Some of the ideas you've mentioned can be great starting points to get experience and get to the next stage.

So just go with whatever seems exciting to you, while doing your best to learn and plan for success --> reading books from people who achieved what you are looking for, taking courses, developing relationship with mentors, asking advice etc.

What can you do that's relatively low risk to get started, that you can do without quitting your job?

Buy a small business for a few thousand? Start something on the side?

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
I was trolling alibaba and found hand sanitizer for .20 cents for 2k peices, at a $400 investment you could mb sell all of them for 10-20k in retail value.

Every grocery store is sold out because of this corona bs.
Why haven't you ordered yet then?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

Move the chains

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Dec 15, 2019
I second this. 50k at 24 year of age is better than most in your age bracket. If I was in your shoes, I'd be saving as much of that as possible while branching out and learning some new skills. What needs might be coming around the corner that you could plan ahead for by using this time to prepare by developing the know-how.

When you're ready to invest in a new direction, you'll have the skills and financial resources to get started.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast

Hi I am also 24 yrs old and I was kinda of in the same boat as you a couple of months ago. Here's is what I did to get out of the situation. 8 months ago, I was employed as a Digital marketing ads guy ($85K year) for a startup, required lots of hours (60+ hours weeks) and really stressful. I wanted to make money while still having enough time to work on my own startup. So I quit that job & started a handyman business(self-employed) (hanging art, hanging tv's on wall, & other easy crap). I now work roughly 15 hours a week (handyman) & make on average $5k net after taxes. It doesn't take much to get started, I run this business out of my 2005 Honda Civic with all my tools in the trunk.

Yes, I'm still trading dollars for hours (it sucks I know), BUT now I have more than enough time to build a real business & my expenses are all covered with cash left over every month.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 4.52.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 4.52.41 PM.png
    315.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content