The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

SO WHAT if your daddy doesn't believe in your dreams!?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Diego Liu

Don't worry, NOBODY CARES
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Apr 23, 2020
Taiwan
*** 4 years ago, as I was a high school senior ***
Dad: Doctors earn a lot of money, command respect, and save people's lives. It's the best career out there.

Me: But I don't want to become a doctor! I like math and want to become an engineer, Dad.

Dad: Silly you. You'll just become a cog in the wheel in big companies. Engineers work overtime and get stressed out. As a doctor, you can do whatever you want in your free time.

Me: SO WHAT? I DON'T LIKE IT! What fun is spending 1/3 of your life wearing a mask in a tiny room, meeting patients after patients? Why didn't you become one yourself if you like it so much?

Dad: You think I was as lucky as you? You should be grateful. Millions of students are busting their asses off for years and still can't get into medical school.

Me: That's THEIR problem. I don't like it.

Dad: I know how you feel, but you'll thank me in 10 years. Trust me.

Me: Well, I...

Dad: All right, you can go do whatever you want. Just know that we won't be paying for any of your living costs or tuition!

Me: .....

AND SO I DID.

That's a typical everyday argument I had with my parents back in high school.

Long story short, I studied Dentistry for 3 years in Taiwan, dropped out 3 months ago, and have been working full-time remotely for an influencer I've always looked up to since then.
You can check out my full story here if you're interested (INSIDERS only):

Got A Remote Job, Dropped Out Of Dentistry, Moved Out, Shaved Bald, And Dropped 40 LBS IN 6 WEEKS

Though I haven't achieved any kind of Fastlane success yet, as far as shaking off my parents' shackles and expectations goes (as an Asian), I've gained quite some useful insights.

Particularly if you're a college or high school student walking down a path your parents made for you that you don't want, here I show you the door out of hell. But do you have the guts to walk through it? Let's find out.

Why Are They So F*cked Up? 3 Primary Causes

1. Ego
Enough said. Imagine that smug smile when your mommy says to her friends, "My son is in his 3rd year of Dentistry now."
I've had the misfortune of having to witness it many times and feel utterly sick of it.

And then her friends pay their "wow" and secure a future discount with you. *eye-rolls*

2. Ownership/Protection
Though I'm not a parent myself, it's understandable that parents have a sense of ownership over the child they've spent 18-20 years and likely millions of dollars raising.

They want what they think is best for you. They don't give a sh*t about your ambition/fulfillment as they just want to make sure you can keep your bellies full.

They think keeping you comfortable makes you happy... just as when you were a baby.

3. They'd Rather Be RIGHT Than See You Succeed
Believe it or not, your parents are likely afraid of your success.
  • Their best-case scenario: You follow exactly what your parents tell you, live happily, and thank them heartily.
  • Their 2nd-best scenario: You plow your own path, fail, and eventually crawl back under their wings and follow the path they set for you. "See, I told you so, but you refused to listen. Now look at you"
  • Their worst-case scenario: You plow your own path and become successful. Imagine what a slap in their face that will be, being the ones who tried to stifle you while you went your own way.

So What Should I Do Then? 1 ABSOLUTE DON'T & 2 ABSOLUTE DO'S

ABSOLUTELY DON'T...
...do what I did at the beginning of this post: argue with them.

Better yet, don't even DISCUSS any of your visions with them.

Seriously, what's that gonna accomplish?

Even if they're fully on board with your ambitious goals, will that exempt you from going through the inevitable grind?

If you're determined to make it happen, how can two persons' opinions weigh any resistance on you?

The act of arguing with them and trying to "convert" them comes from 3 common mindsets destined for failure:

1. Looking for an excuse/fallback
Deep down, you know that every second you waste on elaborating your "master plan" to them is a second you can use to actually make sh*t happen.

But you still choose to waste your time nonetheless. Why?

You don't want it bad enough. You love the possibility of autonomy and working for yourself, but you aren't willing to pay the price.

Instead of taking action and failing forward, it's much easier to get drunk on a Saturday night and tell your buddy, "You know, I have this Uber-successful app idea that will make me a millionaire rockstar, but I can't do it because my parents want me to become a doctor. Poor me."

2. Still seeking your parents' approval
Becoming an independent being doesn't happen automatically when you turn 18 or 20.

This process can be particularly tough if you still live at home or have traditional Asian parents (Chinese have a virtue called "filial piety," 「孝順」literally meaning "obeying your parents).

However, just ask yourself, "Is pleasing my parents worth sacrificing my life doing what I hate?"

3. Feeling entitled to their financial support
"Kids love me when I tell them to have their parents go f*ck themselves, but they hate me when I tell them to live on their own and eat sh*t. They want their parents to fund their dreams." - Gary Vaynerchuk

ABSOLUTELY DO...
...become financially independent.

If you're still a high school student under your parents' custody, maybe you still have to wait a few years to take full control of this.

But if you're a legal adult in your country, you have absolutely no excuse.

When you can stand on your own two feet, nobody, not even your parents, can stop you from doing any non-criminal activity.

If that means dropping out of Medical school to work a minimum-wage job and downgrade your lifestyle, then so be it.

Once you're able to do that, then...

ABSOLUTELY DO...
...TELL them the truth.

TELL them you feel miserable envisioning yourself walking down the current path years down the line.

TELL them you have zero interest in memorizing "corpus spongiosum" or working in a "more elegant prison cell."

TELL them you appreciate everything they've sacrificed for you, but now it's time for you to go out on your own to serve them back later.

TELL them you're not asking for their permission. Whether they like it or not, you're now taking over the driver seat.

AND END IT AT THAT.

Whatever their reaction is, don't engage.

If you know their anger issues, don't do it face-to-face. Pre-record a video and send it to them. That's exactly what I did.

When I told my parents about my decision to drop out, my dad threw a temper tantrum. He called me ungrateful and unrealistic and even went as far as threatening to sue me if I didn't pay him back the millions of dollars he spent raising me up.

It broke my heart, but I have to move on. Now, he's still mad (but hasn't sued me). Luckily, my mom has come around and even become a fan of my work.

I'm now living on my own, 100% self-sufficient, and even sending my parents a check every month, and my mom thanks me for taking some burden off their shoulders.

Unfortunately, for my dad to come around, I know I'll have to make some F.U. money. This is reality. RESULTS are all that matter.
I want that day to come soon, but I'm not trying to win his approval and contradicting myself with a point I outlined above. However, it does stoke the fire within me.

Here are some videos I'd watched repeatedly during this struggle. John from Bulldog Mindset is amazing. Had it not been for him, I surely wouldn't have broken free from the chains:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxUVYy9kCt4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xWvzPmLcRc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI8eTNI8lec

Back in high school, I seriously thought of standing on the edge of my 21-story building's rooftop to threaten my parents into letting me study engineering. I'm glad I didn't do that and figured this out gradually, but I'm also jealous of any of you who are now in my past shoes reading this.

I remember lying in bed, feeling like a failure, and listening Numb by Linkin Park on loop and moving on to It's My Life by Bon Jovi for months before my decision. My mom pushed back on me to see if I was for real; I'm glad I stood my ground.

It's my honor to share these invaluable lessons with you. If you're currently struggling with this, I wish you the best in achieving this milestone success before your Fastlane success.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
hey,

I did watch part of your videos, you got a decent number of subscribers also.

*subscribed*

the biggest question though, how is what you are doing is Fastlane?

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 8, 2019
From the perspective of Fastlane maybe your father could be right.

If I would be in your situation, I would still work as a dentist. Use my father's doctors office to save as much money as possible and help him to open a new doctor's office. In a better street for people who have better income.

Use the reputation I have and open a small clinic for dental surgery for my private clients only. Earn several thousands of dollars for an one hour intervention, shake some hands of local politicians and business owners and have a great time. Maybe expand to Hong Kong, Tokyo and L.A. and do some pictures with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Dont forget, not everybody has the possibility to study or even find a decent job in Taiwan. Maybe your father is just worrying about you and he can't understand how can throw this profitable and easy scalable opportunity away.

Diego Liu

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Apr 23, 2020
Taiwan
hey,

I did watch part of your videos, you got a decent number of subscribers also.

*subscribed*

the biggest question though, how is what you are doing is Fastlane?
Thanks for the sub!

However, I dropped the CrazyCrapCutter YouTube channel since a few months ago, after reading Unscripted , I realized I simply looked up to big animators like TheOdd1sOut and Domics and wanted a piece of the pie. I didn’t start out with the intention of offering VALUE.

Currently, I’m focusing on my job, editing and animating videos, making infographics, writing posts, learning the ins and outs of YouTube, etc. I’m more concerned with building up these entrepreneurial skills I can use later on than rushing to start my Fastlane.

That said, I do intend to start a new project and an execution thread soon, one that I know I will STICK TO.

Regardless, I consider transitioning from memorizing useless facts and medical terms to acquiring new skills with location and time independence every day already a huge step forward.

Diego Liu

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Apr 23, 2020
Taiwan
From the perspective of Fastlane maybe your father could be right.

If I would be in your situation, I would still work as a dentist. Use my father's doctors office to save as much money as possible and help him to open a new doctor's office. In a better street for people who have better income.

Use the reputation I have and open a small clinic for dental surgery for my private clients only. Earn several thousands of dollars for an one hour intervention, shake some hands of local politicians and business owners and have a great time. Maybe expand to Hong Kong, Tokyo and L.A. and do some pictures with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Dont forget, not everybody has the possibility to study or even find a decent job in Taiwan. Maybe your father is just worrying about you and he can't understand how can throw this profitable and easy scalable opportunity away.
My father isn’t a doctor. It’s just that I (unfortunately) got admitted to Dentistry.

I dropped out of Dentistry not only because I HATED its day-to-day operations, but also mainly because I don’t see just being a dentist the impact I want to have in this world. Plus, Taiwan is already saturated with dentists. Walk 4 steps and you will see 5 dental offices.

I’ve done some research and lab projects, after which I’ve also eliminated the possibility of developing new materials such as bioglass either. Not only is the process boring and unrewarding af, but the improvements you can make there are also infinitesimal.

Sure, it’s possible to do intentional iteration and go Fastlane that way, but it will likely take at least 15 years starting without much capital.

Then again, I simply don’t see the potential rewards worth tens of thousands of hours of studying and training and selling away my soul to an unrewarding pursuit for over a decade.

Last edited:

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
I'm surprised in Taiwan your father didn't think Engineering was a good alternative when you said you didn't want to be a Doctor.

How come?

Dan

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
My prediction this thread is gonna be gold in time and the name CrazyCrapCutter will be a Fast Lane forum legend. I've worked with a zillion freelancers over the last ten years and this dude is truly special in both skill and getting it done properly.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Good for you picking a direction and getting started.

Their worst scenario: You plow your own path and become successful. Imagine what a slap in their face that will be, being the ones who tried to stifle you while you went your own way.
I suspect (hope) you no longer think this is the worst case scenario when you have your own kids.

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
I'm surprised in Taiwan your father didn't think Engineering was a good alternative when you said you didn't want to be a Doctor.

How come?

Dan
I'm surprised at this too. If one of my mine got on to an Engineering degree I'd be thrilled.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
*** 4 years ago, as I was a high school senior ***
Dad: Doctors earn a lot of money, command respect, and save people's lives. It's the best career out there.

Me: But I don't want to become a doctor! I like math and want to become an engineer, Dad.

Dad: Silly you. You'll just become a cog in the wheel in big companies. Engineers work overtime and get stressed out. As a doctor, you can do whatever you want in your free time.

Me: SO WHAT? I DON'T LIKE IT! What fun is spending 1/3 of your life wearing a mask in a tiny room, meeting patients after patients? Why didn't you become one yourself if you like it so much?

Dad: You think I was as lucky as you? You should be grateful. Millions of students are busting their asses off for years and still can't get into medical school.

Me: That's THEIR problem. I don't like it.

Me: Well, I...

Dad: All right, you can go do whatever you want. Just know that we won't be paying for any of your living costs or tuition!

Me: .....

AND SO I DID.

That's a typical everyday argument I had with my parents back in high school.

Long story short, I studied Dentistry for 3 years in Taiwan, dropped out 3 months ago, and have been working full-time remotely for an influencer I've always looked up to since then.
You can check out my full story here if you're interested (INSIDERS only):

Got A Remote Job, Dropped Out Of Dentistry, Moved Out, Shaved Bald, And Dropped 40 LBS IN 6 WEEKS

Though I haven't achieved any kind of Fastlane success yet, as far as shaking off my parents' shackles and expectations goes (as an Asian), I've gained quite some useful insights.

Particularly if you're a college or high school student walking down a path your parents made for you that you don't want, here I show you the door out of hell. But do you have the guts to walk through it? Let's find out.

Why Are They So F*cked Up? 3 Primary Causes

1. Ego
Enough said. Imagine that smug smile when your mommy says to her friends, "My son is in his 3rd year of Dentistry now."
I've had the misfortune of having to witness it many times and feel utterly sick of it.

And then her friends pay their "wow" and secure a future discount with you. *eye-rolls*

2. Ownership/Protection
Though I'm not a parent myself, it's understandable that parents have a sense of ownership over the child they've spent 18-20 years and likely millions of dollars raising.

They want what they think is best for you. They don't give a sh*t about your ambition/fulfillment as they just want to make sure you can keep your bellies full.

They think keeping you comfortable makes you happy... just as when you were a baby.

3. They'd Rather Be RIGHT Than See You Succeed
Believe it or not, your parents are likely afraid of your success.
  • Their best-case scenario: You follow exactly what your parents tell you, live happily, and thank them heartily.
  • Their 2nd-best scenario: You plow your own path, fail, and eventually crawl back under their wings and follow the path they set for you. "See, I told you so, but you refused to listen. Now look at you"
  • Their worst scenario: You plow your own path and become successful. Imagine what a slap in their face that will be, being the ones who tried to stifle you while you went your own way.

So What Should I Do Then? 1 ABSOLUTE DON'T & 2 ABSOLUTE DO'S

ABSOLUTELY DON'T...
...do what I did at the beginning of this post: argue with them.

Better yet, don't even DISCUSS any of your visions with them.

Seriously, what's that gonna accomplish?

Even if they're fully on board with your ambitious goals, will that exempt you from going through the inevitable grind?

If you're determined to make it happen, how can two persons' opinions weigh any resistance on you?

The act of arguing with them and trying to "convert" them comes from 3 common mindsets destined for failure:

1. Looking for an excuse/fallback
Deep down, you know that every second you waste on elaborating your "master plan" to them is a second you can use to actually make sh*t happen.

But you still choose to waste your time nonetheless. Why?

You don't want it bad enough. You love the possibility of autonomy and working for yourself, but you aren't willing to pay the price.

Instead of taking action and failing forward, it's much easier to get drunk on a Saturday night and tell your buddy, "You know, I have this Uber-successful app idea that will make me a millionaire rockstar, but I can't do it because my parents want me to become a doctor. Poor me."

2. Still seeking your parents' approval
Becoming an independent being doesn't happen automatically when you turn 18 or 20.

This process can be particularly tough if you still live at home or have traditional Asian parents (Chinese have a virtue called "filial piety," 「孝順」literally meaning "obeying your parents).

However, just ask yourself, "Is pleasing my parents worth sacrificing my life doing what I hate?"

3. Feeling entitled to their financial support

ABSOLUTELY DO...

...become financially independent.

If you're still a high school student under your parents' custody, maybe you still have to wait a few years to take full control of this.

But if you're a legal adult in your country, you have absolutely no excuse.

When you can stand on your own two feet, nobody, not even your parents, can stop you from doing any non-criminal activity.

If that means dropping out of Medical school to work a minimum-wage job and downgrade your lifestyle, then so be it.

Once you're able to do that, then...

ABSOLUTELY DO...
...TELL them the truth.

TELL them you feel miserable envisioning yourself walking down the current path years down the line.

TELL them you have zero interest in memorizing "corpus spongiosum" or working in a "more elegant prison cell."

TELL them you appreciate everything they've sacrificed for you, but now it's time for you to go out on your own to serve them back later.

TELL them you're not asking for their permission. Whether they like it or not, you're now taking over the driver seat.

AND END IT AT THAT.

Whatever their reaction is, don't engage.

If you know their anger issues, don't do it face-to-face. Pre-record a video and send it to them. That's exactly what I did.

When I told my parents about my decision to drop out, my dad threw a temper tantrum. He called me ungrateful and unrealistic and even went as far as threatening to sue me if I didn't pay him back the millions of dollars he spent raising me up.

It broke my heart, but I have to move on. Now, he's still mad (but hasn't sued me). Luckily, my mom has come around and even become a fan of my work.

I'm now sending them a check every month, and my mom thanks me for taking some burden off their shoulders.

Unfortunately, for my dad to come around, I know I'll have to make some F.U. money. This is reality. RESULTS are all that matter.
I want that day to come soon, but I'm not trying to win his approval and contradicting myself with a point I outlined above. However, it does stoke the fire within me.

Here are some videos I'd watched repeatedly during this struggle. John from Bulldog Mindset is amazing. Had it not been for him, I surely wouldn't have broken free from the chains:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxUVYy9kCt4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xWvzPmLcRc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI8eTNI8lec

I remember playing Numb by Linkin Park on repeat and moving on to It's My Life by Bon Jovi for weeks before my decision. My mom pushed back on me to see if I was for real; I'm glad I stood my ground.

It's my honor to share these invaluable lessons with you. If you're currently struggling with this, I wish you the best in achieving this milestone success before your Fastlane success.

I went through all of this as did many of my Asian friends. The truth is they care only about you making alot of money. Whether it's being a doctor, lawyer or engineer. If you could play piano and make $500k a year, they would tell you to play piano for a living. They scoffed at Tony Hawk at the time. How is being a great skateboarder going to help you when you are 25? LOL

I got a MS degree in engineering and when I quit my $100k/year job to move out west, my dad said I was wasting all my years of college. Of course, 16 years later and millions of dollars earned and 100% freedom, they never mention the college degree again.

I'm sure that the social circle bragging was a part of it. My son's a DOC-TOR, mine's a lawyer. Mine's crazy, he quit his and moved to AZ and is unemployed.

Once I started becoming successful, the other parents would begin to ask me to help their kids start a business, or ask me for real estate advice.

It's all about the money. They equate money with happiness and success, no matter how you get it.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Usually after a certain age it’s very difficult for that person to overcome years of socialization/culture/views. I’m guessing your parents are Asian 40-60 years old. There is very little you can do to change their views. I’m not Asian but I’ve had friends who were and the pressure was eye opening. I remember one of my high school friends didn’t get into his top choice university and he was seriously contemplating suicide. Yes, suicide.

I would just go my own way of I were you. Move to another country, pay your own bills, rent and utilities. It’s a waste of time to try to change other people’s beliefs.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think this is the funny thing. When our parents say that to us, tthey are speaking from zero experience. My mom said this to me about playing the piano. Trust me, you'll be glad I made you learn it. Well so far, not really.

Our parents have absolutely no idea what the life of a doctor is like. Now, 20 years later, after hearing how miserable some of their friends' kids are, they realize that being a doctor means 80 hour weeks, waking up at 4am. Making a ton of money and no time to spend it. Same thing for being a lawyer. What my parent's have seen now is that it is possible to make doctor money without working that hard.

Diego Liu

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Apr 23, 2020
Taiwan

How come?

Dan
Taiwanese parents have this sick craze for doctors.

Unlike in the U.S., where students need to apply to medical school after 4 years of college, Taiwanese students can get into a 6-year medical program straight out of high school if you score high enough on the entrance exam.

It's equivalent to a golden ticket saying, "Congrats, you're a winner in society!" when you're 18 years old. What parents wouldn't want that for their kids?

Plus, it's much more common for a doctor/dentist to open his own clinic than for an engineer to eventually become the CEO of a successful company/startup. It's also about STATUS.

My prediction this thread is gonna be gold in time and the name CrazyCrapCutter will be a Fast Lane forum legend. I've worked with a zillion freelancers over the last ten years and this dude is truly special in both skill and getting it done properly.
Haha, thanks man. I'd be ecstatic with Notable. ;)

I owe my lifetime gratitude to you and @MJ DeMarco for starting this forum that made all this transformation possible.

I recommend taking a snapshot of that post so that years later, you can use it as hard proof if you're into selling crystal balls lol.

Good for you picking a direction and getting started.

I suspect (hope) you no longer think this is the worst case scenario when you have your own kids.
Thanks Andy! That's for sure!

LOL. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I went through all of this as did many of my Asian friends. The truth is they care only about you making alot of money. Whether it's being a doctor, lawyer or engineer. If you could play piano and make $500k a year, they would tell you to play piano for a living. They scoffed at Tony Hawk at the time. How is being a great skateboarder going to help you when you are 25? LOL

I got a MS degree in engineering and when I quit my $100k/year job to move out west, my dad said I was wasting all my years of college. Of course, 16 years later and millions of dollars earned and 100% freedom, they never mention the college degree again.

I'm sure that the social circle bragging was a part of it. My son's a DOC-TOR, mine's a lawyer. Mine's crazy, he quit his and moved to AZ and is unemployed.

Once I started becoming successful, the other parents would begin to ask me to help their kids start a business, or ask me for real estate advice.

It's all about the money. They equate money with happiness and success, no matter how you get it.
That's so true. It's sad, but it's reality.

Being a doctor is almost a guaranteed high-paying job, whereas playing piano and skateboarding? Why don't you show me how much you make first?

I’m guessing your parents are Asian 40-60 years old.
Yep, you're right. My dad's 58, and my mom's 56.

I remember one of my high school friends didn’t get into his top choice university and he was seriously contemplating suicide. Yes, suicide.
That I can certainly relate to. I've had a smooth sail in terms of academics, but it's only after reading TMF and Unscripted did I realize how much time and energy I'd wasted making sure all my grades, standardized test scores, and extracurriculars were on point when I applied to college.

Without being introduced to entrepreneurship, it seems the only legitimate activity a student can do is to study.

I would just go my own way of I were you. Move to another country, pay your own bills, rent and utilities. It’s a waste of time to try to change other people’s beliefs.
That's EXACTLY what I've done except the moving-to-another-country part. I'm so grateful for living in Taiwan. It'd be 10x harder for me to support myself with this remote job if I were to live in the U.S.

I think this is the funny thing. When our parents say that to us, tthey are speaking from zero experience. My mom said this to me about playing the piano. Trust me, you'll be glad I made you learn it. Well so far, not really.

Our parents have absolutely no idea what the life of a doctor is like. Now, 20 years later, after hearing how miserable some of their friends' kids are, they realize that being a doctor means 80 hour weeks, waking up at 4am. Making a ton of money and no time to spend it. Same thing for being a lawyer. What my parent's have seen now is that it is possible to make doctor money without working that hard.
Congrats for that, pal! I'm sure I'll follow your footsteps and make that happen someday, too.
Nobody, not even your parents, has any reason to have any faith in you until you shove wads of cash up into their faces. Thinking of this fuels my dark side and toughens me up.

Last edited:

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Haha, thanks man. I'd be ecstatic with Notable. ;)

I owe my lifetime gratitude to you and @MJ DeMarco for starting this forum that made all this transformation possible.

I recommend taking a snapshot of that post so that years later, you can use it as hard proof if you're into selling crystal balls lol.

Im not gonna lie I was pretty darn stoned at like 3 am when I wrote my post on this thread. I forgot to add CCC is also insightful beyond his years and why the project he worked with me went so well. He took my vision and with some intelligent tweeks gave me a product that has already been successful and Im going to be using to wreck havoc in certain targeted locations.

Notable is a noble goal as well as gold, looking forward to seeing if my crystal ball is correct or just hazy from the cannabis smoke ;).

As for being mentioned in the same sentence as the Fast Lane Forum Godfather I feel truly blessed.

I was a little nervous when you told me your first paying video gig from me was part of the catalyst of you making major life changes. As you know I lived in your city in Taiwan and worked at a posh international school where I heard your story a zillion times and understood the risk of not going down your families desired path. But when you took the actions to make it happen to generate the income in such an epic manner, I was pretty darn impressed. I have no question your pops and rest of family will be fist pumping in a few years when the CCC true payout comes to reality.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
When you have kids yourself, you will see:
Your parents have a life full of experience (each exactly ONE) in making a life.
They tell you 100% of the treasures they have collected in their head to make you successfull .

So sure your consequences may be great and right, but dont offend your dad/parents. You may do them wrong!

Have luck and success!

Last edited:

Diego Liu

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Apr 23, 2020
Taiwan
When you have kids yourself, you will see:
Your parents have a life full of experience (each exactly ONE) in making a life.
They tell you 100% of the treasures they have collected in their head to make you successfull .

So sure your consequences may be great and right, but dont offend your dad/parents. You may do them wrong!

Have luck and success!
I get your point.

However, if they're "offended" for my making my own career decisions, then that's their problem, not mine.

I'm in charge of my actions, not their emotions.

Thanks for the wishes!

Im not gonna lie I was pretty darn stoned at like 3 am when I wrote my post on this thread. I forgot to add CCC is also insightful beyond his years and why the project he worked with me went so well. He took my vision and with some intelligent tweeks gave me a product that has already been successful and Im going to be using to wreck havoc in certain targeted locations.

Notable is a noble goal as well as gold, looking forward to seeing if my crystal ball is correct or just hazy from the cannabis smoke ;).

As for being mentioned in the same sentence as the Fast Lane Forum Godfather I feel truly blessed.

I was a little nervous when you told me your first paying video gig from me was part of the catalyst of you making major life changes. As you know I lived in your city in Taiwan and worked at a posh international school where I heard your story a zillion times and understood the risk of not going down your families desired path. But when you took the actions to make it happen to generate the income in such an epic manner, I was pretty darn impressed. I have no question your pops and rest of family will be fist pumping in a few years when the CCC true payout comes to reality.
Thanks for rooting for me bro. I won't let you down ;)

Best of luck with your execution too!

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Ummm what?? Being a doctor is one of the most stressful jobs, time-consuming careers there is. My uncle is a heart surgeon and several other people I know are doctors, and they literally have no time for them themselves, let alone to get a full night's sleep. And the best part is, the more you earn as a doctor, the more you end up working. Most doctor's I've know their whole life is their work.

Engineers make as much as doctors, yet I've never met an engineers that works as much as your average doctor.

Diego Liu

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Apr 23, 2020
Taiwan
Ummm what?? Being a doctor is one of the most stressful jobs, time-consuming careers there is. My uncle is a heart surgeon and several other people I know are doctors, and they literally have no time for them themselves, let alone to get a full night's sleep. And the best part is, the more you earn as a doctor, the more you end up working. Most doctor's I've know their whole life is their work.

Engineers make as much as doctors, yet I've never met an engineers that works as much as your average doctor.
Interesting... I guess Taiwan here is different from the States. Plus the doctor’s specialty matters too.

jaypi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 8, 2016
Nj
Interesting... I guess Taiwan here is different from the States. Plus the doctor’s specialty matters too.
My cousin was at med school and dropped out during his rotations; he only had a few more years left to go. It’s a pain dealing with patients (or people in general imo).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.