The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just read TMF

Petros

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
671%
Mar 26, 2019
Cincinnati OH
Hello everyone,

My name is Matt. I just read The Millionaire Fastlane last week and I'm listening to Unscripted right now on Audible. I'm about to turn 28 years old.

I've been doing all of the "right things" in life:
  1. Got good grades in High School
  2. Went to college, got an B.S. in Electrical Engineering
  3. Paid off college debt
  4. Been investing consistently in 401k/Roth IRA/HSA
  5. Making $80k/year salary
I've done a few things that many people at my age have not:
  1. Currently running a couple of side businesses
    1. Computer Rental Website: Making money, but violates commandments of Control, Entry, and Scale
    2. Amazon FBA Seller: Making money, but violates commandments of Control and Entry
  2. Bought a 4 family rental property in my city that provides cash flow every month
The problem is that 6 years after graduating I feel like I am still not making significant progress financially. Seeing the wealth equations in The Millionaire Fastlane showed me why my progress is slow.

Here's why I joined the forum:
  1. I am not living up to my potential. I know there is so much more I can offer to the world.
  2. I want freedom. I am tired of people I don't like telling me what to do (mostly at my job).
  3. I don't want to worry about money. Tired of renting out a room from my friend just so I can save an extra $500.00 per month.
  4. I want to be around people who are pushing for similar goals.
What I'm currently doing:
  1. Saving up money and looking for the next real estate deal. Ideally another 4 family building.
  2. Learning Python programming. It's an in-demand language with lots of applications. Software seems to be a good technical route to go because I can see how it can be used to build a business that meets the CENTS commandments:
    1. Control: You don't need someone else's platform (Amazon, eBay, etc)
    2. Entry: Programming well is a difficult technical skill. Many people cannot do it
    3. Need: There are tons of opportunities to solve problems with software/technology
    4. Time: You build it and it's mostly done, can run subscription model, etc
    5. Scale: You only need to build the software once (with updates as you go)
TL/DR: I've been an above average slowlaner since college. I have a couple of online businesses that make money, but don't meet all of the CENTS commandments. I am currently working on finding the next real estate deal and am improving my technical skills so I can build a software product.

Big thanks if you've read this far. I'm happy to provide more detail and answer any questions if you have them. Like I said, I want to level up in life so if you have feedback please let me know.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Like I said, I want to level up in life so if you have feedback please let me know.
Welcome to the forum and...damn man you're already well ahead of most folks so keep up the great work! I noticed you mentioned renting an apartment from a friend AND that you're looking for another property. If you find a multi-family property, like a duplex, you can live in one while the renter of the other covers the mortgage. If you need to take a loan, it's usually easier to get a homeowner's loan than a commercial/investment property loan. Just something to consider. Looking forward to learning of the success you're bound to have in life.

Petros

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
671%
Mar 26, 2019
Cincinnati OH
  1. Learning Python programming. It's an in-demand language with lots of applications. Software seems to be a good technical route to go because I can see how it can be used to build a business that meets the CENTS commandments:
    1. Control: You don't need someone else's platform (Amazon, eBay, etc)
    2. Entry: Programming well is a difficult technical skill. Many people cannot do it
    3. Need: There are tons of opportunities to solve problems with software/technology
    4. Time: You build it and it's mostly done, can run subscription model, etc
    5. Scale: You only need to build the software once (with updates as you go)
TL/DR: I've been an above average slowlaner since college. I have a couple of online businesses that make money, but don't meet all of the CENTS commandments. I am currently working on finding the next real estate deal and am improving my technical skills so I can build a software product.

Big thanks if you've read this far. I'm happy to provide more detail and answer any questions if you have them. Like I said, I want to level up in life so if you have feedback please let me know.

Literally just listened to the Unscripted chapter where MJ calls out learning Python as action faking. Haha dammit!

Petros

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
671%
Mar 26, 2019
Cincinnati OH
Welcome to the forum and...damn man you're already well ahead of most folks so keep up the great work! I noticed you mentioned renting an apartment from a friend AND that you're looking for another property. If you find a multi-family property, like a duplex, you can live in one while the renter of the other covers the mortgage. If you need to take a loan, it's usually easier to get a homeowner's loan than a commercial/investment property loan. Just something to consider. Looking forward to learning of the success you're bound to have in life.

Thanks Ernman, I appreciate the kind words

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome to the forum. I think you're on the right track, and making a lot of smart moves. Give yourself some credit.

While "learning python" may be action faking, building something you can sell to others isn't. If you happen to build it in the Django framework, then you learn Python by default.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@Petros -- you are on the right track!! Don't get discouraged! All your side hustles will work to your favor.

Read this passage about CENTS being possibly destructive to action.

Is CENTS Destructive to Action?

Nothing wrong with learning Python if it is NEEDED.

Welcome aboard my friend!

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Welcome to the forum, Petros!

Seems like you're doing well for yourself, a lot better than me right now haha. It's also good that you've recognized that you are not where you want to be - that's a step in the right direction.

On this forum, you'll be around plenty of people striving for similar goals.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...