The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When you realize you learned nothing these past two years...

TennisOrDie

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 13, 2014
I'm 19. My fastlane INSIDERS subscription just ended. I had a 1 year subscription.

I'm finally on my own. I will either sink or swim. I didn't do jack shit these past two years except smoke weed. I just had my parents paying for everything. I didn't have any expenses. College was paid for. Car was paid for. Food/shelter was paid for. So all I did was read about ways to make money. I can talk the talk. I can go on about money for hours. But you know what? I have no results to prove it. I have no money. I don't even have a job. I know we love to bash jobs on this forum but I give way more respect to the person going out and fighting for a living every day than the lazy a$$ teenager that just sits on his computer and smokes weed. Yeah I learned a lot and I don't regret it. This knowledge will definitely help me in my life. I'm still young and I'm realizing I have a lot more to learn not just about business and money but about life.

So now that I'm on my own I had to look for any way I could to make money. This was the first time I was ever truly desperate for money. I went on Craigslist and looked for jobs. Pretty much everything on there sucked. So I asked a few friends that had jobs around town to ask their bosses if they're hiring. I'm still waiting on that. So I smartened up a little and decided to check my university's private job listings. Still however, I couldn't find anything. Now I don't know if I'm just being picky little bitch or if all these jobs don't suck or engage me at all. So I finally realized that 90% of jobs or more for a kid in college with no experience in really anything except reading books and forums on entrepreneurship/business/finance/trading are going to be shitty jobs. So I decided that after doing all that reading I should be able to make at least $50 a day by doing something on my own. It could be mowing lawns, cleaning pools, painting, babysitting, ubering, flipping, ecommerce, anything. I've read about thousands of people that make a living on their own. But the one thing i've never done is do pretty much anything.

It reminds me in MJ's book where he finally takes the plunge. He moves out to Arizona with barely enough money to survive. But what he found that was when he was backed up against the wall, that's when he was at his strongest.

So what have I decided to do? I'm going to be importing a product from China and selling it on Amazon FBA. Sounds simple. You've heard it a million times before. You've heard it go wrong a million more times before. But I've found an edge. My margins will be close to 300%. I will also use instagram/social media to find out which products are best by seeing which gets the most likes/favorites/retweets. I just need to sell two a day. Consistency. Have daily and weekly goals and just keep on hitting them till you reach your long term goals. That's all a long term goal is. A bunch of short term goals put together.

I'm finally using the knowledge I gained from reading. It feels good. I feel alive.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
Unless you already have some other skill you didn't mention (like programming) your biggest asset is location. Do the import biz, but hustle manual labor jobs. Don't feel they're beneath you. I was doing lawn care in my 20s, after graduating college, and then drywalling for a friend in my 30s, after the small internet company I was working for blew up. Yeah the hourly pay is crap but it's still something, and at least you'll be active and moving around.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What happened to trading?

That was brave. Don't disappear.

Yup, very brave. Takes a lot of guts to just come out an admit such things.

I give way more respect to the person going out and fighting for a living every day than the lazy a$$ teenager that just sits on his computer and smokes weed.

Anytime I go through the In-And-Out drive through and peek through the kitchen window, I see a lot of young kids working their asses off. It kinda makes me want to give them a high-five because I know these are the success stories of the future. And they are the best of our future. There is never any shame in hard work, doing what needs to be done, and being responsible.

TennisOrDie

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 13, 2014

Anytime I go through the In-And-Out drive through and peek through the kitchen window, I see a lot of young kids working their asses off. It kinda makes me want to give them a high-five because I know these are the success stories of the future. And they are the best of our future. There is never any shame in hard work, doing what needs to be done, and being responsible.

Trading is going well. But I started blowing a lot of money. I spent 1000 on a ps4 and headphones and other various stuff on Amazon. My dad wants me to grow the F*ck up so he took away my computer until I get a job. I am a trader and trading is my path. This is just a small but necessary detour on my journey.

Trading was really my first taste of success. So I guess I'm not as big of a failure as I made myself out to be. But I'm definitely a young immature dumb a$$ kid. I already regret buying all that junk. I realize that buying stuff doesn't really make you happy. I simply love trading and I miss it dearly. The only thing that finally motivated me was that I couldn't trade.
"Sometimes it's necessary to go a long distance out of the way to come back a short distance correctly."

Last edited:

TennisOrDie

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 13, 2014
List out the next 10 things you will do. Then go do them. Talk is cheap. Take action!

I have a list of 5 big decisions that will have much more impact on my life than 10 smaller decisions.

1. Quit smoking weed
2. Get a job. Literally any job.
3. Start this side business
4. Become a consistent day trader using small leverage.
5. Move out

ShadowX

Be Grateful
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 27, 2013
Interesting bro :)

Keep us up to date with the Amazon progress, let's see how it goes.

TennisOrDie

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 13, 2014
Unless you already have some other skill you didn't mention (like programming) your biggest asset is location. Do the import biz, but hustle manual labor jobs. Don't feel they're beneath you. I was doing lawn care in my 20s, after graduating college, and then drywalling for a friend in my 30s, after the small internet company I was working for blew up. Yeah the hourly pay is crap but it's still something, and at least you'll be active and moving around.

Definitely. I live 40 minutes away from nyc by train. I think the main point is that doing ANYTHING is better than doing nothing.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana

Don't.

This isn't a game you can win, at least not that way. Everyone thinks they can click buy and sell and make money. Do you actually have an edge? No, you don't. The only (2) traders I've ever met who were successful were both institutional. There is no way you have any chance against modern trading operations.

IMHO the only valid use of retail FX is playing out longer-term geopolitical events. I'm still kicking myself for not trading the Scottish independence vote last year, for example. Easy money, the Euro was going to move up or down , but either way it was going to move! This current Greek sham is another good example...but I took nearly a week to even enter that trade, and will probably be holding it weeks or months.

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
Keep at it man. I just turned 19, and I'm pretty much in the same situation, except instead of smoking weed I made music. And have pretty much nothing to show for it except 2,000 facebook likes.

I've started to flip things on Craigslist, and it's definitely worthwhile. Most of your margins will be made on talking the person down in price. If you're desperate and want to make a buy, one trick is to "bring" less cash that you offered, and act like you forgot the other 20 or 50 or whatever. This is sleazy but if the person is desperate to sell they will sell. Every time.

Bikes, iPhone, MacBooks, DSLRs, and guitars are my specialty. Your brain always tricks you into thinking you lost money, but you have to ignore it and push forward. I made about $150 over 2 weeks, and now I'm getting better at it. Looking to make at least $50 every couple days.

I'm going to get a job as well. I'm living with very toxic parents and we're about to move into an apartment. I don't think I'll be able to hold out for much longer.

Best of luck dude! Excited to see where you take things :)

Last edited:

TennisOrDie

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 13, 2014
Don't.

This isn't a game you can win, at least not that way. Everyone thinks they can click buy and sell and make money. Do you actually have an edge? No, you don't. The only (2) traders I've ever met who were successful were both institutional. There is no way you have any chance against modern trading operations.

IMHO the only valid use of retail FX is playing out longer-term geopolitical events. I'm still kicking myself for not trading the Scottish independence vote last year, for example. Easy money, the Euro was going to move up or down , but either way it was going to move! This current Greek sham is another good example...but I took nearly a week to even enter that trade, and will probably be holding it weeks or months.

Lol. You only know two successful traders so those are the only two in the world?

You can look online through trading forums and find countless pnl statements of people consistently making money in the market. I've only been trading for less than 6 months and I'm still doing pretty well. You think it's luck? Really? You except to be the best in the world at arguably the most competitive game in the world after six months when you wouldn't even expect to take a salary from your start up for at least five years. Yet to me the fact that I place many trades increases my odds. I know that one trade will never make or break me. Instead of diversifying in different securities I diversify by placing different trades.

Hey man I realize that pretty much 99% of what you read on the Internet tells u to stick it in a mutual fund and then never look at it again. And you know what that's the right decision for 99% of people. But I know becoming a successful trader is possible. Possible, not easy.

And I trade futures not fx. I could never compete against the big guys if I was trading as much money as they are. I have an edge in that i have very limited restrictions in what I can and can't do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I have a list of 5 big decisions that will have much more impact on my life than 10 smaller decisions.

1. Quit smoking weed
2. Get a job. Literally any job.
3. Start this side business
5. Move out

IMO, I think 5 should be moved to 1. Ditch the safety net. Ditch living like a child and start living as an adult.

TennisOrDie

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 13, 2014
IMO, I think 5 should be moved to 1. Ditch the safety net. Ditch living like a child and start living as an adult.

The problem with moving out right now is that I currently commute to school. If I moved out id be living with my frat brothers which would just cause me to smoke more weed and party more.

I have plans on moving out within the next year but I think to do so before I even have a part time job would be foolish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If I moved out id be living with my frat brothers which would just cause me to smoke more weed and party more.

So you're saying that you're not in control. Your peers make your choices. You don't know how to stand up for yourself and say "No". You are a victim to circumstance and environment.

Just pointing it out-- our refusal to change lies in how we default to default thinking patterns, which is often flawed.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
If you like trading so much why don't specialize on it?
What are the pain points of that lifestyle? Can you think of a tool/app that would help you keep your stuff in check?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I think your title is a little misleading. You learned a lot of things on here, so I think it's just time to apply it and take action. Stop complaining. You're 16 and...gee what happens in the next year depends on you by the choices you make. Any job will give you money to put into your fast lane adventure.

Tobore

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 30, 2013
Above and Beyond
The fastlane is kinda filled with so much realizations and choices.
It still baffles me when certain things hit me up so I take daily notes...
There's more to learn about our habits and thought patterns.

I'm happy you've found yourself out...

TennisOrDie

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 13, 2014
So you're saying that you're not in control. Your peers make your choices. You don't know how to stand up for yourself and say "No". You are a victim to circumstance and environment.

Just pointing it out-- our refusal to change lies in how we default to default thinking patterns, which is often flawed.

I will admit that when it comes to drugs, I am not in control. I need to be as far away from it as I can. It's not that I don't know how to stand up for myself, it's that I would want to partake. There wouldn't be a no. I would just say yes because I can think of a thousand reasons why it's ok to keep smoking weed especially when I'm around it. The good thing is that I can think of a thousand more reasons to not smoke weed.

I am forever grateful that it is only weed. But that's also the problem with weed. You know it won't kill you, so you don't care how much you smoke. It makes you ok with doing nothing and being nothing. Luckily, in about a month I'll be feeling like my normal self again.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

TennisOrDie

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 13, 2014
I don't think he's 16 (and if so, I take back my commentary)-- sounds like early 20's.

Look at the first sentence of my original post lol. I'll be 20 in July. I'll be starting my second semester of sophomore year in the fall.

Update:
So I decided that instead of looking for crappy jobs on craigslist, I would come up with a list of all the places I go to/shop/hang out at and try applying to those places.

I applied online to Uniqlo because that's literally where I buy all my clothes. They only accept online applications. The mall by me has one, about 20 minutes away.

I applied at the golf course I play at. Also going to ask one of my friends about caddying. He's a caddy right now.

The job as a waiter with my friends fell through, so that's a no go.

Now I'm on my University's website looking for jobs again. Found one job as a telemarketer part time. That won't be too bad because it's sales. I have done sales in the past.

I also play a lot of tennis and golf. I'd be able to teach if I wanted to. That might be a fun summer gig.

Anyone else have any good jobs that would be a great experience for my development and growth?

What are some good entry level positions for people studying finance but have not gotten a degree yet?

Also giving one of my close friends my bong. He doesn't have one yet and he loves using it. It'll be in good hands.

Last edited:

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Here is a quote that I read the other day that I thought was interesting:

"Its not that I don't have self control, it is that I don't want to have self control."

The person was talking about being an alcoholic, and how he couldn't drink in moderation because he just wanted more. He had to cut it out completely. If he drank one, he wanted 10.

You can't be around people who smoke, if you want to stop smoking.

TennisOrDie

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 13, 2014
Here is a quote that I read the other day that I thought was interesting:

"Its not that I don't have self control, it is that I don't want to have self control."

The person was talking about being an alcoholic, and how he couldn't drink in moderation because he just wanted more. He had to cut it out completely. If he drank one, he wanted 10.

You can't be around people who smoke, if you want to stop smoking.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying. I've tried it the other way and it just doesn't work.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
You know Andrew Carnegie said :
  • To spend the first third of one's life getting all the education one can.
  • To spend the next third making all the money one can.
  • To spend the last third giving it all away for worthwhile causes.

Assuming you'll live to let's say 80, and your 19 now, your already ahead! By like 5 or 6 years!
Go get it dude.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Why would you HAVE to live with your frat brothers? Why are you in a frat if you have no control? Take control. Get a source of income. Find a place to live by yourself. Get clean. Make an impact on the world.

IntrinsicValue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jun 21, 2015
I'm 19. My fastlane INSIDERS subscription just ended. I had a 1 year subscription.

I'm finally on my own. I will either sink or swim. I didn't do jack shit these past two years except smoke weed. I just had my parents paying for everything. I didn't have any expenses. College was paid for. Car was paid for. Food/shelter was paid for. So all I did was read about ways to make money. I can talk the talk. I can go on about money for hours. But you know what? I have no results to prove it. I have no money. I don't even have a job. I know we love to bash jobs on this forum but I give way more respect to the person going out and fighting for a living every day than the lazy a$$ teenager that just sits on his computer and smokes weed. Yeah I learned a lot and I don't regret it. This knowledge will definitely help me in my life. I'm still young and I'm realizing I have a lot more to learn not just about business and money but about life.

So now that I'm on my own I had to look for any way I could to make money. This was the first time I was ever truly desperate for money. I went on Craigslist and looked for jobs. Pretty much everything on there sucked. So I asked a few friends that had jobs around town to ask their bosses if they're hiring. I'm still waiting on that. So I smartened up a little and decided to check my university's private job listings. Still however, I couldn't find anything. Now I don't know if I'm just being picky little bitch or if all these jobs don't suck or engage me at all. So I finally realized that 90% of jobs or more for a kid in college with no experience in really anything except reading books and forums on entrepreneurship/business/finance/trading are going to be shitty jobs. So I decided that after doing all that reading I should be able to make at least $50 a day by doing something on my own. It could be mowing lawns, cleaning pools, painting, babysitting, ubering, flipping, ecommerce, anything. I've read about thousands of people that make a living on their own. But the one thing i've never done is do pretty much anything.

It reminds me in MJ's book where he finally takes the plunge. He moves out to Arizona with barely enough money to survive. But what he found that was when he was backed up against the wall, that's when he was at his strongest.

So what have I decided to do? I'm going to be importing a product from China and selling it on Amazon FBA. Sounds simple. You've heard it a million times before. You've heard it go wrong a million more times before. But I've found an edge. My margins will be close to 300%. I will also use instagram/social media to find out which products are best by seeing which gets the most likes/favorites/retweets. I just need to sell two a day. Consistency. Have daily and weekly goals and just keep on hitting them till you reach your long term goals. That's all a long term goal is. A bunch of short term goals put together.

I'm finally using the knowledge I gained from reading. It feels good. I feel alive.
Hey I'm 20, so we're in the same boat. I'm just one step behind you.I haven't made the plunge yet. I am still educating myself and have a lot to read. The path to financial and entrepreneurial literacy is a long slope to climb before I should start searching for needs to satisfy(or should i learn as i go?). Just make sure that you follow MJ's "CENTS". Based on your post, you don't seem to have a desire to scale "I just need to sell two a day". This violates the NECScaleT principal. I wish you all the good luck and success.

Last edited by a moderator:

IntrinsicValue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jun 21, 2015

I agree. I have a buddy (18) who works 70 hours a week through several jobs. He does this to support himself and, partially due to a treasonous choice, a kid.

IntrinsicValue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jun 21, 2015
You know Andrew Carnegie said :
  • To spend the first third of one's life getting all the education one can.
  • To spend the next third making all the money one can.
  • To spend the last third giving it all away for worthwhile causes.

Assuming you'll live to let's say 80, and your 19 now, your already ahead! By like 5 or 6 years!
Go get it dude.
haha nice analogy, however do you think that was a little too much Slowalkian especially from Andrew Carnegie?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.