The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

TL;DR

Stanja1

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 6, 2019
Hello. I'm Jason.

Not sure how I stumbled upon The Fastlane. It was a couple of weeks ago, probably one of the"Recommended for You" books on Amazon. I looked at the Audible version and noticed that it was read by the author. The high ratings caused me to make the purchase (it certainly wasn't the title :)). It's probably the best book I have read in the genre (and I have read/ listened to many).

It eerily hit home a bunch of times... I will never forget walking home to my grandmother's in Minneapolis and strolling past an exotic car dealership. This was 1985. In the window on a platform was a brand new black Lamborghini Countach. It looked like a spaceship. I told myself "one day that will be mine". Funnily enough, I blew the headgasket on my M3 convertible and they wanted $5500 to fix it. So, I bought a cheapo car from a buddy until I had more cash for the repair. So, I was literally driving around in a "fart box" Honda while listening to The Fastlane. haha

As for me, I work in surgery as a tech/ assistant. I specialized in pediatric cardiac surgery for a while. I now have a job where I float between a bunch of campuses in Seattle and make just over 100k a year without working very hard at all. However, even though I tell myself that I'm helping people, I HATE MY JOB. Even though I own a house, have a smokin hot amazing wife, and a couple of dogs, I'm not happy with the one thing that takes up the most time in my life.

I have always been an inventor/ entrepreneur. I like problem solving and making stuff. My first business was actually two businesses that I started 8 years ago. I am also a Bikram yoga instructor, and as a student there were no men's clothing options that I liked. So, I designed 4 better options. Found someone to make samples. Found someone to do small production runs. I have actually competed in yoga at the national level and my coach is a former world champion (yeah, sounds stupid, but it is actually pretty amazing, youtube it). So, I had access to really high profile yoga people for grass roots marketing. I had a "friend"(my roommate during teacher training) that worked for Diesel jeans who had some interesting ideas for a women's line. I added a few clever designs to the women's line as well. The concept was to have more fashionable, high quality, active wear for women. At the time, Lululemon made maybe 30 types of pants in 3 colors. I wanted to do maybe 6 pants in 20 colors with prints. I knew many world champion girls that traveled the globe doing seminars etc. So, I made more samples and sent them to the girls. Using their feedback, I made modifications. Then went to work on the websites. Did a calendar shoot with the girls. This was all self funded with multiple bullshit promises of capital from the "friend". Quietly launched and had a few hundred orders. My production guy in Los Angeles had not proven to be incredibly reliable. My orders were small compared to his other customers. So, I was not a priority (which makes sense). However, when I set up the CC processing there was a question that asked what I anticipated the average purchase to be. I put $150. However, my first orders were from friends that owned yoga studios and were $2000-5000. This flagged the fraud alert dept at my cc processor. As the clothes were being made to order, the customers couldn't validate that they had received their items. And my production guy took forever...... a few customers that I didn't know got tired of waiting and did chargebacks. That froze my account. Now I didn't have access to any of the CC funds to pay my producer. However, all of the product that did get shipped out to the studios sold out within 2-3 days. The "friend" never came through with any funds. My parents wouldn't give me a dime. So, I was F*cked. To add to the joy, the girl that I thought was my soulmate ghosted me. My grandmother, who was the only person I truly trusted, died unexpectedly. So, I basically said F*ck it all. I then decided that it would be a great decision to start drinking a 12 pack of PBR every day after work until I passed out. I did that for 2 years. Luckily, I met my wife and shit changed. However, I haven't done yoga since. Sad.

My wife is Filipina. So, I have been there many times. I noticed things that they didn't really have there like lingerie stores, tampons and energy drinks (talk about a recipe for a party! haha). So, I bought a bunch of Chinese lingerie, Costco tampons and energy drinks and shipped them over there. They sold like hotcakes. Looked into energy drink and tampon manufacturing to start my own brands. However, none of my relatives over there have shown the ambition to move forward. So, not wanting to move there and do everything. Those ideas died. Sad.

I have too many ideas. And I am gun shy from the yoga clothing experience. I am also kind of burnt out by people not sharing my enthusiasm. I shave my head bald and hate all the options. I bought a 3d printer and made a bunch of prototypes with more logical handle designs. I have a friend that has a small CNC machine to make aluminum versions. He's flakey. So, I looked into other manufacturing options. It was complicated. I said F*ck it.

I joined this forum to find like minded people and hopefully some live nearby. I need new friends. I am currently vacillating away. I am not sure if I should revisit the yoga clothing, the shaver, I have a couple of app ideas, a big idea for finding surgeons/ doctors based on INSIDERS info, a website for surgical techs to show off their tricks with contests that has corporate sponsors. In trying to prioritize/ analyze scale vs. ease of execution, I get stuck in my head and do nothing. Actually, I don't do nothing, I think of more ideas. I have hundreds, with a new one daily or weekly at the least.

So yeah, I just finished listening to Unscripted . Read Atomic Habits and am dying to get out of my current job. I am hoping that I will find some tools to follow through and focus without my crazy brain and past failures getting in the way. Thanks for listening. Hit me up if you are in the Seattle area. Much future success to you all.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Oh my goodness!

What a story!! You have it in you to do this! Don't let anything derail you... I can't wait to read your success story.

Welcome to the forum.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your story.

I think the Countach is still around 300k on the used market. Actually turned out to be a decent investment if you bought it back then, inflation not withstanding.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great intro my friend, looks like your issue is simply focus, and connecting your feedback loop.

The attitude and mindset for business seems to be there.

Welcome aboard.
I think the Countach is still around 300k on the used market.

Yes, and the Diablos are starting to appreciate as well. The Gallardos and Murcis are the ones that are tanking in price due to overproduction. I could have bought a used G for the price I paid for my truck. :wideyed:

Anakalypsi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jan 2, 2019
Interesting story.

I am also kind of burnt out by people not sharing my enthusiasm

I think you won't be troubled with this here anymore.

I am not sure if I should revisit the yoga clothing, the shaver, I have a couple of app ideas, a big idea for finding surgeons/ doctors based on INSIDERS info, a website for surgical techs to show off their tricks with contests that has corporate sponsors. In trying to prioritize/ analyze scale vs. ease of execution, I get stuck in my head and do nothing. Actually, I don't do nothing, I think of more ideas. I have hundreds, with a new one daily or weekly at the least.

I'm not long enough here to recommend you the right guys for these businesses. But for me, it sounds certain that you have great expertise in the yoga and surgeons idea, so I'd recommend focusing on that.

Whatever you decide in the end, hope you keep us updated!

Stanja1

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 6, 2019
Oh my goodness!

What a story!! You have it in you to do this! Don't let anything derail you... I can't wait to read your success story.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the kind words! You made my day. I took a screenshot of your post and read it every day. :) I hope you never stop saying kind words to strangers. The world can really use a whole lot more of that! I will surely keep you posted. Thanks again!

p.s. I did a lot of my yoga training in Boulder. Colorado was very cool. :)

Stanja1

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 6, 2019
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your story.

I think the Countach is still around 300k on the used market. Actually turned out to be a decent investment if you bought it back then, inflation not withstanding.

Thank your for taking the time to read. I have a growing sense of excitement. It seems like I have found the way out of my entrepreneurial isolation. I look forward to the journey.

I just looked at a couple of Countach pics, and damn if it doesn't still look badass! With any luck, 300k will be an afterthought in the near future!

Last edited:

Stanja1

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 6, 2019
Great intro my friend, looks like your issue is simply focus, and connecting your feedback loop.

The attitude and mindset for business seems to be there.

Welcome aboard.

Yes, and the Diablos are starting to appreciate as well. The Gallardos and Murcis are the ones that are tanking in price due to overproduction. I could have bought a used G for the price I paid for my truck. :wideyed:

Thank you for taking the time to read it. Dare I say that your response completely S.U.C.S.? :)

Your books have had quite the impact on my thinking. Paradigm shifting even. That hasn't happened all that often over the course of my lifetime. Thank you.

I gave glowing 5 star reviews on Amazon for both books (first reviews for me). I will also be upgrading to the INSIDERS subscription shortly.

Looks like it is time to gas up the fart box and hit the road. The Fastlane is callin! I'm actually changing out the annoying AF muffler this afternoon. :)

The time will come when I am making the decision of which Lambo is the best value purchase. hehe

Thanks for walking the talk. Your authenticity is inspirational at the very least.

I almost forgot, do you have any recommendations for understanding/ reprogramming feedback loops? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Stanja1

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 6, 2019
Interesting story.

I think you won't be troubled with this here anymore.

I'm not long enough here to recommend you the right guys for these businesses. But for me, it sounds certain that you have great expertise in the yoga and surgeons idea, so I'd recommend focusing on that.

Whatever you decide in the end, hope you keep us updated!

Thank you for spending the time to read my words! I appreciate any and all feedback. I am determined to make a decision in the near future and stay "monogamous". I will post updates once the decision is made. I have no doubt that I will be on here frequently either reading all the posts or posting a question or two myself. Thanks again for your response!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...