The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stop the Polygamy!

trevmooshka

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Apr 14, 2020
Hello everyone,
So I just finished Unscripted , and damn it was inspiring. Thank you @MJ DeMarco for writing it, you've touched another life. I downloaded the ebook on Tuesday evening and finished it yesterday. I don't think I've ever read a book this quickly before. Out of all the incredibly useful information in the book, one thing revealed to my one of my big flaws. I'm too polygamous. But first, let me give some backstory.

All throughout middle school, high school, and college, I was a F*cking videogame addict. I did good in school, mostly making A's and B's, but almost every waking moment outside of school was consumed with playing videogames with friends. After school, weekends, summers, spring break and winter vacations, almost all of my childhood was filled with gaming. I had a close group of friends and dated in high school and college, and because my parents always echoed at me "Just do good in school and you'll get a good job", I never really worried or realized how I was just wasting away my life. It wasn't until my senior year of college that I had my most impactful FTE event.

I don't want to go into detail about what happened. But it's one of those events that shakes you in the core. You can barely eat, you cry yourself to sleep, you lie on the floor for hours out of distress and depression. On top of that, the event made me really reflect on how I had literally just wasted almost my entire teenage life manipulating pixels on a F*cking screen, which of course made everything worse. But after about two months, I turned shit around real quick. Quit video games cold turkey, started reading every day, starting taking the language I wanted to learn seriously, taking my friends and family more seriously, started lifting, and started putting in extra time into learning skills for my field.

A semester later and I found myself graduating, being thrust out into the real world. I was torn between immediately searching for a job, or going to the country of the language I was learning to immerse myself and study more intensely. Of course all the people in my life just repeated the same SCRIPTED cliches at me. "You'll have time for that later." "It would look bad on your resume if you had a gap." "Get experience first." Despite all the pressure, I said f*ck it and left America for 9 months. Best decision I ever made in my life; I made a lot of lifelong friends and had unforgettable experiences.

In January of this year I found myself back in America thinking I should "settle down" and "get real" and get a 9-to-5. Thankfully because I got my a$$ in high-gear my senior year, I was able to find a job in my field. Let me tell you, this job should be every college graduates dream. An upper middle class salary, nice management that doesn't expect you to work overtime, four weeks of a vacation a year starting, etc. But the thing is, I absolutely hate it. I hate that some corporation owns about half of my waking life 5 out of 7 days a week (now I know we call it temporal prostitution). I hate imagining myself doing this grind day in and day out every year for the rest of my life. I just want to own my time and my life back.

Now, I've always had business ideas, usually related to software since I'm a programmer. But like every other programmer, I'll start a project, work on it here and there, and then abandon it for the next shiny idea I have. This has literally been going on for years now. After reading Unscripted , that's stopping today. After giving it some thought, the business I've chosen to focus on is going to make software to help people learn languages. No more polygamy, I'm married to this project for a minimum of 4 months. It's an idea that's been floating around my head for awhile, as there's similar software out there today, but it's rather old and people complain about it all the time. I'm going to make something better with the goal that it would bring value not just to adult learners, but to the high school and college classrooms too. I've already started working on a prototype and have a meeting next week to pitch the idea to someone at a school district who's in charge of acquiring educational products.

My gut and my experience tell me this will be something that people want (I also intend to use it myself), but I have reservations that it might be too niche. I guess in the end the market will decide, but regardless I'm finally going to finish a project that an employer didn't pay me to do and put it on the line for everyone to judge.

If anyone relates to any part of my story or has some thoughts, I'd be happy to hear from you. Thank you for reading my intro and good luck to everyone!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sneeuw

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jan 14, 2020
The Netherlands
Hello everyone,
So I just finished Unscripted , and damn it was inspiring. Thank you @MJ DeMarco for writing it, you've touched another life. I downloaded the ebook on Tuesday evening and finished it yesterday. I don't think I've ever read a book this quickly before. Out of all the incredibly useful information in the book, one thing revealed to my one of my big flaws. I'm too polygamous. But first, let me give some backstory.

All throughout middle school, high school, and college, I was a F*cking videogame addict. I did good in school, mostly making A's and B's, but almost every waking moment outside of school was consumed with playing videogames with friends. After school, weekends, summers, spring break and winter vacations, almost all of my childhood was filled with gaming. I had a close group of friends and dated in high school and college, and because my parents always echoed at me "Just do good in school and you'll get a good job", I never really worried or realized how I was just wasting away my life. It wasn't until my senior year of college that I had my most impactful FTE event.

I don't want to go into detail about what happened. But it's one of those events that shakes you in the core. You can barely eat, you cry yourself to sleep, you lie on the floor for hours out of distress and depression. On top of that, the event made me really reflect on how I had literally just wasted almost my entire teenage life manipulating pixels on a F*cking screen, which of course made everything worse. But after about two months, I turned shit around real quick. Quit video games cold turkey, started reading every day, starting taking the language I wanted to learn seriously, taking my friends and family more seriously, started lifting, and started putting in extra time into learning skills for my field.

A semester later and I found myself graduating, being thrust out into the real world. I was torn between immediately searching for a job, or going to the country of the language I was learning to immerse myself and study more intensely. Of course all the people in my life just repeated the same SCRIPTED cliches at me. "You'll have time for that later." "It would look bad on your resume if you had a gap." "Get experience first." Despite all the pressure, I said f*ck it and left America for 9 months. Best decision I ever made in my life; I made a lot of lifelong friends and had unforgettable experiences.

In January of this year I found myself back in America thinking I should "settle down" and "get real" and get a 9-to-5. Thankfully because I got my a$$ in high-gear my senior year, I was able to find a job in my field. Let me tell you, this job should be every college graduates dream. An upper middle class salary, nice management that doesn't expect you to work overtime, four weeks of a vacation a year starting, etc. But the thing is, I absolutely hate it. I hate that some corporation owns about half of my waking life 5 out of 7 days a week (now I know we call it temporal prostitution). I hate imagining myself doing this grind day in and day out every year for the rest of my life. I just want to own my time and my life back.

Now, I've always had business ideas, usually related to software since I'm a programmer. But like every other programmer, I'll start a project, work on it here and there, and then abandon it for the next shiny idea I have. This has literally been going on for years now. After reading Unscripted , that's stopping today. After giving it some thought, the business I've chosen to focus on is going to make software to help people learn languages. No more polygamy, I'm married to this project for a minimum of 4 months. It's an idea that's been floating around my head for awhile, as there's similar software out there today, but it's rather old and people complain about it all the time. I'm going to make something better with the goal that it would bring value not just to adult learners, but to the high school and college classrooms too. I've already started working on a prototype and have a meeting next week to pitch the idea to someone at a school district who's in charge of acquiring educational products.

My gut and my experience tell me this will be something that people want (I also intend to use it myself), but I have reservations that it might be too niche. I guess in the end the market will decide, but regardless I'm finally going to finish a project that an employer didn't pay me to do and put it on the line for everyone to judge.

If anyone relates to any part of my story or has some thoughts, I'd be happy to hear from you. Thank you for reading my intro and good luck to everyone!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm also a Software Developer and can relate to your story about switching projects. Although in my case there are 2 things that are working against me. The first is the same as yours, working on a personal coding project then seeing something that is new and shiny so that motivates me more and then I switch to that project and the second thing is roadblocks that I encounter while working on my project, most of the times it results in me having less motivation for the project and switching to a different project.

Currently I'm working on improving myself in this area. So maybe the strategy/method I'm using could also benefit you. I tackle the 'shiny new project' problem in two ways.
1. I set a deadline/goal for the project and any other project ideas that come around I write down on a todo list so that I can focus on the current project.
2. I find retaining motivation over the complete duration of the project to be difficult. So to retain motivation for the project, I write down the tasks that I want to complete on a day and if I complete all the tasks I reward myself to do something that really motivates me and thus my brain has an incentive to also be motivated for the tasks that I need to complete that day.

mve0991

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Apr 5, 2020
The Netherlands
Welcome to the forum!

It's like reading parts of my own story, possibly indeed it is something like a developer thing. I'm a freelance front-end developer and what I also noticed is that I quickly exchange reserved time for personal projects with client work and because of that a period without spending time on personal projects quickly creeps in. What works for me is to make clear the actual purpose of such a personal project and whether it contributes to the larger goals which I have set for the future.

I will definitely follow you to see how the execution of your current idea will work out, good luck with that!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome my friend, glad you found some value in my work! Hope to cya around.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Hello everyone,

Welcome and all the best to you. Glad you didn't succumb to the golden handcuffs. I never did or could either. All the best.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I've only recently realized that if you want to do anything well, you have to zero in on it and exclude most other things in life. Took me years of having multiple projects going on at the same time to learn that. Unsurprisingly, I ended up doing none of them very well and just burning myself out...

Glad you've got yourself on a good path!

trevmooshka

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Apr 14, 2020
@Sneeuw Right on man. I forgot where I heard this, but someone once suggested to me to write down only the two most important things that if done, will make that day a winner. If you get only one done, that's great, if both, even better. I wish you the best with your project :)

@mve0991 Thanks for the input. It's nice seeing so many developers here. Thanks for the follow and I hope I'll be able to show off a completed and valuable app in the coming months.

@Lionhearted Thank you! I guess in a way I'm lucky in that they didn't shackle me to them with stock options that only become available after four years, those are the real golden handcuffs!

@Ninjakid Thank you as well for the input. About excluding other things in your life, it reminds me Warren Buffet's 5/25 strategy where you make 30 goals, only focus on the top 5, and the remaining 25 you avoid at all costs.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...