The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Rate this idea : "P2P app to sell your food leftovers"

Idea threads

Prantice

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Sep 5, 2023
France
Hello everyone, after I finished reading the book "The millionnaire fastlane" and the "Great rat race espace", I went to search for ideas of business which could help people to answer their needs. After sometimes, I found this idea :

"P2P app to sell your food leftovers"

Let's imagine you are cooking in your kitchen, let's say that you are cooking a delicious Mac'n cheese. However, you found yourself with a very big plate of mac'n cheese. I mean, it could feed an entire army. Usually, you put what you didn't eat in the freezer. Another problem here : You don't have a freezer, which means you need to put it into the refrigerator at the risk of letting it spoil (If you don't eat it in the next days) and thus, wasting it. This is where my idea come into play :

My idea is to create a P2P app in which you can sell your food leftovers to anyone who don't want to cook but eat delicious homemade food while avoiding traditionnal fast food harmful to your heath. Which means that, if you sell your remaining mac'n cheese on the market, the user who bought it will come to your location and pick it up. Not only you didn't dump this same plate to the bin but also, you won some money from this sale.

Prior to this thread, I ran my idea through the CENTS framework to see if it is doable, here's what I found :

C for Control : Since it will be an Android / iOS app, I am dependant on the Google Play Store and Apple App Store. This dependance can be reduced if I create a website for computer users.

E for Entry : You need to know how to developp an app on Android, iOS and eventually have the technical skills (HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL at least) to build a website... And this is only for the technical part. So yeah, the entry barrier is high for this one. This is not a problem since I have an engineering degree in cybersecurity and have no problem to learn new computer skills.

N for Need : Based on this article, food waste is a world plague. Roughly one-third of the food produced is wasted, which is a real problem (At least to me.) So, creating an app which does not only encourage people to sell their remaining food to other instead to dump it while winning money and helping the planet (I will come back to this later) doesn't seems a bad idea to me. (Please hurt my feelings if you think it is a garbage-tier idea)

T for Time : I will need a lot of time to develop the app but once it is created and functional, then it's good, I will just have to convince people to use it. My goal here will be to charge a fee on every transaction made. For example, if you sell a part of Mac'n cheese to someone for 2$, the transaction will be charged with a 20% fee (0,40 $) in top of the initial price tag (Thus, the client pays 2,40 $ in total) which will cover the maintenance costs of the apps and website at least. If there is enough users on the app, maybe I can try to put in ads to gain more money.

S for Scale : Since I want to developp a phone app, everyone with a smartphone can be a user of my app. Also, if this idea is executed upon, everyone will have the possibility to download the app on their phone and start using it straight away.

In addition to this framework, here's the list of benefits of my idea (if executed upon) unique :
  • Planet-friendly : Every transaction will be charge with a percentage fee based on the price asked by the vendor (Let's say 25%). 20% of the total amount of the transaction will comeback to my pocket while the 5% remaining will be donated to a charity organization fighting against food-waste.
  • Help users (and the society) to fight against food-waste : You are not required to be a professionnal to sell on the app. If you are someone who loves cooking but hate to dump eatable food, well this app is for you.
  • Help users to win pocket money : While fighting against food waste, you win pocket money by selling your food remaining. Isn't it wonderful ?
  • Buy food from well-reviewed peers : A big problem of buying from an unknown person is : How can I be sure that the food I bought from him or her is not garbage ? Well, by creating a review system within the app, you will not have to worry about the quality of the food sold by the vendor.
To conclude, this idea seems interesting but I just want to have unbiased opinions on it. Yet, I didn't talk to anyone about this idea. What do you think of this idea ? I'm very curious to hear your feedback. Please roast constructively my idea if you think it is a bad one.

Thank you for your time and I wish you a nice day.

Prantice

N.B. : Since it is my first post on this forum (Excluding my first thread within the introduction section), I made sure that this post isn't breaking any forum rules but feel free to tell me if I did something wrong by creating this post.

EDIT : Correcting some syntax error.

Resources :

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This is great thinking in trying to solve a problem, but I don't think it is feasible or plausible.

When there are leftovers in the kitchen, the idea of having someone coming to my house afterward to get the leftovers sounds preposterous.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
it kind of seems a market for Kennedy law type shit..

(Backstory: KL sold sodium nitrate to suicidal people)

You put it in food.

People still have packages.

And what if you have allergies.

There’s a lot of problems that would be too time consuming just for a little bit of more security.

journeyman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 18, 2017
United States
Welcome to the forum!
It seems like you have put a lot of thinking and effort into this idea, which however I would vote against as I'd never personally use.

If you apply the same effort to other ideas I trust that you will eventually come up with a winner!

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023
Don't target private individuals, instead your partners should be the restaurants, bakeries, food retailers. I wouldn't trust random individuals (think of food safety) and it is not safe to meet with strangers at my home.

I know a very successful mobile app in my local area, here is their website: Munch - Mi (T)eszünk a pazarlás ellen! 50-70% kedvezmény!

They received investment in the local "Shark Tank" (the European version of Shark Tank) from all the five sharks at the same time. And this mobile app is a huge success, they have a lot of partners. But their partners aren't private individuals, but businesses like restaurants or bakeries. You can buy the leftover food at a discount, this is the business model in a nutshell. And they charge commission. It is a mobile application.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
This is great thinking in trying to solve a problem, but I don't think it is feasible or plausible.

When there are leftovers in the kitchen, the idea of having someone coming to my house afterward to get the leftovers sounds preposterous.
Also can't be feasible from the standpoint of food safety measures, regulations of sanitization, ingredients, allergens etc. Maybe for commercial establishments for charitable purposes, but I know tim hortons would rather toss 200 donuts in a bin than deal with that hassle.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Start it, it will be a great lesson on the importance of two things:

1. Why you need to consider liability and risk and being extremely disappointed in human beings and their ability to not act in an intended way.

2. (Most important) The difficulty in getting people to hear about your ideas/businesses and that the most important thing will usually be answering the question “how can I get people to become aware and interested in what I’m offering?”

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023
would rather toss 200 donuts in a bin than deal with that hassle
Food waste is a huge problem, 1/3 of food is wasted. Businesses can't afford to ignore this problem, or else sooner or later their customers will penalize them for ignoring this very important issue.

Prantice

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Sep 5, 2023
France
First of all, thank you very much for your answers and kind message, I gladly appreciate it :)
Don't target private individuals, instead your partners should be the restaurants, bakeries, food retailers. I wouldn't trust random individuals (think of food safety) and it is not safe to meet with strangers at my home.

I know a very successful mobile app in my local area, here is their website: Munch - Mi (T)eszünk a pazarlás ellen! 50-70% kedvezmény!

They received investment in the local "Shark Tank" (the European version of Shark Tank) from all the five sharks at the same time. And this mobile app is a huge success, they have a lot of partners. But their partners aren't private individuals, but businesses like restaurants or bakeries. You can buy the leftover food at a discount, this is the business model in a nutshell. And they charge commission. It is a mobile application.
Regarding your input, there is an app in France (I'm from France) called "Too Good to Go" which allow private individuals to buy leftovers ,at a discount, from restaurant, groceries store... So, I don't feel there is the need in the market for a copycat of the app "Too Good to Go". Even if I can make my business unique by giving 5% of each transaction away to a charity, that will be the only difference between them and me.
it kind of seems a market for Kennedy law type shit..

(Backstory: KL sold sodium nitrate to suicidal people)

You put it in food.

People still have packages.

And what if you have allergies.

There’s a lot of problems that would be too time consuming just for a little bit of more security.
Also can't be feasible from the standpoint of food safety measures, regulations of sanitization, ingredients, allergens etc. Maybe for commercial establishments for charitable purposes, but I know tim hortons would rather toss 200 donuts in a bin than deal with that hassle.
I didn't know this anecdote, what a disturbing one...
Thank you for your inputs, I didn't ask myself theses important questions...

Welcome to the forum!
It seems like you have put a lot of thinking and effort into this idea, which however I would vote against as I'd never personally use.

If you apply the same effort to other ideas I trust that you will eventually come up with a winner!
Thank you for your kind answers, even though I put in some effort regarding this idea, I didn't used common sense to properly reflect on this idea.

I will reject this idea. From now on, i will search another unmet problem which can be solved with a much more doable solution.
To conclude, here's my takeaways from this thread:
1) The framework and methodology used to assess the idea is good (Thanks again MJ DeMarco for these valuable tools ! )
2) Use common sense in addition to the framework used to properly assess the doability of an idea. I think it could avoid me to write a forum thread to ask for feedback on my idea.
3) Talk to people, I think this idea could have been easily rejected (or approved) during a discussion before writing a forum thread about it.

Once again, many thanks for the time you've taken to give me your feedback and I'll see you later in another thread :)

Prantice

Prantice

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Sep 5, 2023
France
Start it, it will be a great lesson on the importance of two things:

1. Why you need to consider liability and risk and being extremely disappointed in human beings and their ability to not act in an intended way.

2. (Most important) The difficulty in getting people to hear about your ideas/businesses and that the most important thing will usually be answering the question “how can I get people to become aware and interested in what I’m offering?”
Thank you very much for your input, I'm writing done these important facts. Even though i had some vague idea regarding the point N° 2, the point N° 1 never crossed my mind. I'll keep these in mind for the assessment of my next ideas.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Hello everyone, after I finished reading the book "The millionnaire fastlane" and the "Great rat race espace", I went to search for ideas of business which could help people to answer their needs. After sometimes, I found this idea :

Let's imagine you are cooking in your kitchen, let's say that you are cooking a delicious Mac'n cheese. However, you found yourself with a very big plate of mac'n cheese. I mean, it could feed an entire army. Usually, you put what you didn't eat in the freezer. Another problem here : You don't have a freezer, which means you need to put it into the refrigerator at the risk of letting it spoil (If you don't eat it in the next days) and thus, wasting it. This is where my idea come into play :

My idea is to create a P2P app in which you can sell your food leftovers to anyone who don't want to cook but eat delicious homemade food while avoiding traditionnal fast food harmful to your heath. Which means that, if you sell your remaining mac'n cheese on the market, the user who bought it will come to your location and pick it up. Not only you didn't dump this same plate to the bin but also, you won some money from this sale.

Prior to this thread, I ran my idea through the CENTS framework to see if it is doable, here's what I found :

C for Control : Since it will be an Android / iOS app, I am dependant on the Google Play Store and Apple App Store. This dependance can be reduced if I create a website for computer users.

E for Entry : You need to know how to developp an app on Android, iOS and eventually have the technical skills (HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL at least) to build a website... And this is only for the technical part. So yeah, the entry barrier is high for this one. This is not a problem since I have an engineering degree in cybersecurity and have no problem to learn new computer skills.

N for Need : Based on this article, food waste is a world plague. Roughly one-third of the food produced is wasted, which is a real problem (At least to me.) So, creating an app which does not only encourage people to sell their remaining food to other instead to dump it while winning money and helping the planet (I will come back to this later) doesn't seems a bad idea to me. (Please hurt my feelings if you think it is a garbage-tier idea)

T for Time : I will need a lot of time to develop the app but once it is created and functional, then it's good, I will just have to convince people to use it. My goal here will be to charge a fee on every transaction made. For example, if you sell a part of Mac'n cheese to someone for 2$, the transaction will be charged with a 20% fee (0,40 $) in top of the initial price tag (Thus, the client pays 2,40 $ in total) which will cover the maintenance costs of the apps and website at least. If there is enough users on the app, maybe I can try to put in ads to gain more money.

S for Scale : Since I want to developp a phone app, everyone with a smartphone can be a user of my app. Also, if this idea is executed upon, everyone will have the possibility to download the app on their phone and start using it straight away.

In addition to this framework, here's the list of benefits of my idea (if executed upon) unique :
  • Planet-friendly : Every transaction will be charge with a percentage fee based on the price asked by the vendor (Let's say 25%). 20% of the total amount of the transaction will comeback to my pocket while the 5% remaining will be donated to a charity organization fighting against food-waste.
  • Help users (and the society) to fight against food-waste : You are not required to be a professionnal to sell on the app. If you are someone who loves cooking but hate to dump eatable food, well this app is for you.
  • Help users to win pocket money : While fighting against food waste, you win pocket money by selling your food remaining. Isn't it wonderful ?
  • Buy food from well-reviewed peers : A big problem of buying from an unknown person is : How can I be sure that the food I bought from him or her is not garbage ? Well, by creating a review system within the app, you will not have to worry about the quality of the food sold by the vendor.
To conclude, this idea seems interesting but I just want to have unbiased opinions on it. Yet, I didn't talk to anyone about this idea. What do you think of this idea ? I'm very curious to hear your feedback. Please roast constructively my idea if you think it is a bad one.

Prantice

N.B. : Since it is my first post on this forum (Excluding my first thread within the introduction section), I made sure that this post isn't breaking any forum rules but feel free to tell me if I did something wrong by creating this post.

Resources :

Great thinking though I echo the other contributors in that you wouldnt trust food made by a private individual unless you knew them well... Here's a couple of ideas from Ireland that you might be able to use where you're based...

1.) FoodCloud: Food waste hurts our planet

2.) Restaurant app Temptster secures €100k Dragons' Den investment - Start-ups | siliconrepublic.com - Ireland's Technology News Service

And lastly dont go anywhere near making an app without reading my thread here first:

Stay Safe out there! :peace:

Prantice

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Sep 5, 2023
France
Great thinking though I echo the other contributors in that you wouldnt trust food made by a private individual unless you knew them well... Here's a couple of ideas from Ireland that you might be able to use where you're based...

1.) FoodCloud: Food waste hurts our planet

2.) Restaurant app Temptster secures €100k Dragons' Den investment - Start-ups | siliconrepublic.com - Ireland's Technology News Service

And lastly dont go anywhere near making an app without reading my thread here first:

Stay Safe out there! :peace:
Thank you for your input, fortunately, there are already charities which pick up food wastes from groceries store to give them to people which very low or no revenue at all (Maybe you already heard of them : "Les restos du coeur" for example).

Thank you for the link of the thread, I will check this now :)

Kybalion

Renegade Master
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Oct 5, 2018
Am I the only one who thinks it's gross to eat someone else's leftovers?

I am all about efficiency and eliminating waste, but this idea repulses me on a visceral level.

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
I rate it 0/10.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019
You could try to work with restaurants and other commercial food-related organizations but that sounds more like a non-profit. Would you really come to my house and pay for what's left after I had dinner? Are you not worried about not only the taste and quality of ingredients but also your safety? How can you ensure the food is safe to eat, what do you do if the customer receives something that looks like vomit? What if they get poisoned?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Prantice

Resources :

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yYFiU8CT5GU&pp=ygUacGhpbGlwcGluZXMgbGVmdG92ZXIgZm9vZCA%3D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.