The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Member - Let's Talk

ChrisDro

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 6, 2020
Seattle, WA
Hello everyone,

I'm new around here, so I'd like to introduce myself. Sorry if it's a bit long, but hopefully some of you will read it, it is my life story after all :)

My name is Chris. I'm 22 years old, and I'm a poster boy for the slowlane lifestyle.

From a young age, success in school was the top priority in my life. I studied hard and took every advanced class, many of which I didn't give a crap about, all in the name of boosting my GPA. I graduated valedictorian of my class and went on to study software engineering at a well known university.

My real passion was personal finance and investing. In my free time, I learned as much as I could about the stock market, compound interest, and how I could become a millionaire by living frugally and investing in low-cost index funds. I ate it up like Joey Chestnut at a hot dog contest! I opened an IRA as soon as I turned 18, and I've been contributing to it for the past 4 years.

As I entered my college years, I knew the next step in my financial journey was to land a high-paying job so I could shovel more money into my investment accounts. I got great grades, spent the summers interning with great companies, I built my resume, and worked on my technical interview skills. I did everything right. Leading into the last summer of my college career, all my hard ward was rewarded with an internship at a FAANG Tech company. It was my dream come true!

I completed the internship, graduated in the top 0.5% of my class, and accepted a full time offer with the same company, paying well over six figures a year. This was the vision I had for my life since I was 18 years old. Now, I've moved across the country and live alone in a tiny studio apartment in Seattle where I save over 50% of my income so that I can retire in 20 years instead of 40. A dream come true if you asked my 18-year-old self. I've been living this life for a few months now, and I can tell you IT'S FREAKING BORING! I never do anything fun, exciting, or meaningful. And during the COVID shutdowns, I barely leave my apartment.

What do I dream about now? I dream about quitting my job. I dream about moving home to be with my friends and family again. I want to become a better athlete, to start lifting weights again, to take a yoga class, to become a cross country coach. I want to learn to make great food, and to share it with great people. I want to be able to go anywhere and do anything without thinking about the cost, or the amount of hours it's going to take to pay for it.

I don't remember exactly what lead me to pick up The Millionaire Fastlane , but I do know that it has opened my eyes to the fact that I'm living in the slowlane while all the financial role models I had been looking up to are making millions in their own fastlane businesses. It was a frustrating revelation, because I've dedicated so much of my adult life to the slowlane and I've seen it work for me. I'm a stand-out success by normal standards, but I still feel like I'm living a lie. For example, I love to run. If money was no concern, I could spend my whole day training to be a better runner. In college, there were days when I would go out for a run twice a day plus spend time training in the gym, spend time stretching and recovering, spend time preparing healthy meals, and get ten or eleven hours of much-needed sleep each night. My financial independence dreams were fueled by this vision. But if I'm honest with myself, I realize that I'll be a shell of my former self in 20 years. These days, I never go to the gym. I still run, but after a long day of sitting at a desk, I feel stiff and I have no energy. Long story short, I have come to understand that I need to enter the fastlane if I want to live my dreams while I am still young.

So I got to work. I decided to start building a website for aspiring software engineers to pick up side projects they could build and add to their resumes. I also started reading UNSCRIPTED , to get some additional inspiration and advice. I am currently working through part 4 of the book, which is what prompted me to join this forum. For those of you who have read the book, MJ starts by outlining TUNEF - the unscripted entrepreneurial framework. The foundation of the framework is an FTE - a "F*ck this event." I stopped reading to reflect on this, and I realized that I definitely haven't had an FTE. I have a good job. I get along with my team and my manager. I'm nowhere near fed up to the point of anything as drastic as quitting my job, but I have acknowledged that my dream is impossible on my current path (what's the point of being a millionaire if I'm too old and my body has deteriorated from 20+ years sitting in a desk chair?)

So this is my story. I'm a successful slowlaner who is on the verge of letting his dreams slip away, and I've come to the fastlaneforum for advice. I think we hear a lot about these entrepreneurs who make it big from a background of flipping hamburgers or cleaning toilets. Everyone likes these underdog stories, and they spread over the media like wildfire. I'd like to know whether this FTE is actually a prerequisite to fastlane success (if MJ says so, I think it must be), and if so, how can I convert my fastlake interest into unwavering commitment? If you have any experience, success or failure, coming from a similar background, I'd love to hear from you!

If you made it this far, thanks for taking the time. I know it's a most valuable resource. I look forward to reading your replies.
Have an awesome day,
- Chris

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BlackSuperman

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Welcome! I am new here as well. So feel free to chat/communicate fellow future Fastlaner. Also remember, the first step is realization. The next step is action!

ChrisDro

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 6, 2020
Seattle, WA
Very Nice Idea! How did that work out? :bicep: :praise::fistbump:
It's a work in progress, I only started building it at the time of my first post. So far, I've set up some AWS infrastructure, installed WordPress, and routed to it from a new domain. I've never used WordPress, so I don't know if it will be enough to capture my vision for the project, but since I own the infrastructure I should be able to revert to bootstrap or something and write my own back-end functions.

One thing I want to learn more about is branding, what to call the service, domain name, logo, etc. So that will be part of the next steps. Any resources you guys can recommend for this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...