The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Confused student scared of falling for the slowlane

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

Graceland

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 25, 2020
Hi, I'm a 20 year old student from western Europe. I've read the Millionaire Fastlane for the first time around 5 years ago, before high school.

Back then, this book, together with a few other books about financial freedom, formed the very foundation of my strive for early financial success in life. After having made intense research back then, I came to the conclusion that pursuing a business degree would be the best educational basis I can establish for future entrepreneurship and wealth. 5 years later I'm indeed enrolled at Europes best business school (by rankings) and everything should be fine.

Should be.

Because after just 2 weeks I had realized that a business degree is completely misleading. My original plan - which was to become a venture capitalist and then start my own business towards the late 20s - turned out to be a horrendously false interpretation of the markets and futures development of needs. A vast majority of business students, even at elite schools, is being fed a big lie.

Entry levels for most business related jobs, such as Investmentbanking, Consulting, Private Equity, Venture Capital or even Hedge Funds aren't super high because you as an individual are replacable by thousands of other competitors at any given time. Not to talk about other fastlane principles such as TIME and CONTROL that are neither nowhere being met in these industries. Also, these industries are in a rapid change, a business degree doesn't properly prepare for the future required skillset. Oh yeah and before I forget: Even from the best universities, only a small fraction actually gets into VC/PE and even fewer will be promoted to partner level. It's all a big lie, finance won't make you really rich before 40 anymore, and even then only at a ridiculously high cost.
But at the same time, I do not have the balls to completely quit the idea of studying/ acquiring expertise in a field.

Why? Because every global trend indicates that in order to create customer value and having a stance against the competition in globalized markets, you will need a high level of expert knowledge in a niche. As of now I'm a bit in a life crisis, because my plans that reach back more than 5 years turned out to be a big hoax within a few weeks.

Since I've always had a bit of a thing for medicine and studying it is free in my country, I'm currently strongly leaning towards switching my degree. Medicine CAN mean the slowlane, but if you have a little bit of a sense for business and can take risks, it's a guaranteed fastlane. You will not become super rich, but achieving 1-2 Millions by 35 is totally plannable in my country. Heck, there's even plenty of already established private practices for sale in my country. Recently saw one for sale for 3 Million that made 600k EBIT - buying one or two of those before you turn 40 and then working a 20h week doesn't seem unrealistic to me...

However, the idea of achieving great financial success only by my mid 30s doesn't seem to be too appealing to me. I'd most prefer driving around my hypercar for my 30th birthday in Monaco and catching my yacht in St.Tropez. I haven't yet found the solution for that.

I have an immensly strong work ethic (pulling 100h weeks isn't a problem for me), have 130'000 Instagram followers, will inherit around $2Million worth in real estate once I turn 30 and currently plan to combine my Instagram following with my coding skills and medical knowledge to create something that meets the increasing interest in health related issues...

Hoping that this has been enough of an introduction I'm now excited to learn about you and maybe the one or other thought about my plans.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sounds like you want to dabble in a high-paid job before taking a risk in business.

Why not just start with the business ... a business is the only place you can find asymmetrical returns which you'll need if you're talking about St. Tropez and yachts. You don't need to be a doctor or an investment banker to start a business, just a firm foundation -- food, shelter, and a bit of risk capital.

Welcome to the forum.

Lerenardroux

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 20, 2019
Hi, I'm a 20 year old student from western Europe. I've read the Millionaire Fastlane for the first time around 5 years ago, before high school.

Back then, this book, together with a few other books about financial freedom, formed the very foundation of my strive for early financial success in life. After having made intense research back then, I came to the conclusion that pursuing a business degree would be the best educational basis I can establish for future entrepreneurship and wealth. 5 years later I'm indeed enrolled at Europes best business school (by rankings) and everything should be fine.

Should be.

Because after just 2 weeks I had realized that a business degree is completely misleading. My original plan - which was to become a venture capitalist and then start my own business towards the late 20s - turned out to be a horrendously false interpretation of the markets and futures development of needs. A vast majority of business students, even at elite schools, is being fed a big lie.

Entry levels for most business related jobs, such as Investmentbanking, Consulting, Private Equity, Venture Capital or even Hedge Funds aren't super high because you as an individual are replacable by thousands of other competitors at any given time. Not to talk about other fastlane principles such as TIME and CONTROL that are neither nowhere being met in these industries. Also, these industries are in a rapid change, a business degree doesn't properly prepare for the future required skillset. Oh yeah and before I forget: Even from the best universities, only a small fraction actually gets into VC/PE and even fewer will be promoted to partner level. It's all a big lie, finance won't make you really rich before 40 anymore, and even then only at a ridiculously high cost.
But at the same time, I do not have the balls to completely quit the idea of studying/ acquiring expertise in a field.

Why? Because every global trend indicates that in order to create customer value and having a stance against the competition in globalized markets, you will need a high level of expert knowledge in a niche. As of now I'm a bit in a life crisis, because my plans that reach back more than 5 years turned out to be a big hoax within a few weeks.

Since I've always had a bit of a thing for medicine and studying it is free in my country, I'm currently strongly leaning towards switching my degree. Medicine CAN mean the slowlane, but if you have a little bit of a sense for business and can take risks, it's a guaranteed fastlane. You will not become super rich, but achieving 1-2 Millions by 35 is totally plannable in my country. Heck, there's even plenty of already established private practices for sale in my country. Recently saw one for sale for 3 Million that made 600k EBIT - buying one or two of those before you turn 40 and then working a 20h week doesn't seem unrealistic to me...

However, the idea of achieving great financial success only by my mid 30s doesn't seem to be too appealing to me. I'd most prefer driving around my hypercar for my 30th birthday in Monaco and catching my yacht in St.Tropez. I haven't yet found the solution for that.

I have an immensly strong work ethic (pulling 100h weeks isn't a problem for me), have 130'000 Instagram followers, will inherit around $2Million worth in real estate once I turn 30 and currently plan to combine my Instagram following with my coding skills and medical knowledge to create something that meets the increasing interest in health related issues...

Hoping that this has been enough of an introduction I'm now excited to learn about you and maybe the one or other thought about my plans.

Should be.

Should be.

What business school are you enrolled in and where do you come from?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...