The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Late 18, Painfully stressed and confused. Help?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Farrel Hakim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 22, 2019
Hello everyone, My name is Farrel Hakim and I've joined around the time I was 16 (so about two years ago). I came across this forum and MJ DeMarco's Unscripted because I wanted money and I didn't want to be a slowlaner. During the past two years I've changed a lot, still confused, but I've learned a lot that I didn't know before. To be transparent with all of you, my mindset has been bouncing back and forth. "Reality", and "Fantasy" in typical model citizen standards. Within these past two years I got a job at a retail store which I didn't completely hate but I would always despise the number on my paycheck. I recently quit that job and here's where the confusion becomes unbearable for me. I'm stressed. So, a lot of things have happened within the past month which are huge decisions for me to make, I would ask the people of this forum to pick my brain and give me advice based on experience because I definitely do not believe that I'm the only 18 year old having this problem.

This past month, I've quit my job and got a new job at a nursing home, full time and paying 40 ish cents more than minimum wage with the potential to climb fast (or so they said). Honestly, I chose this job because it was the only opportunity given to me that was full-time and paying more than minimum wage in NY ($15 an hour). This decision was easy for me, but in doing so, I would have to drop out of college which I am an undeclared major, paying $900 dollars (after aid) and not even doing the work (mostly) due to lack of motivation in classes, work, and situation with COVID right now. I think a lot of new college students are having this problem as well. I don't like going to school, I'll be perfectly honest, I'm only doing it because my parents told me I needed to do it. My biggest problem is, even if I was still in college, I don't know what major to choose, and I have very limited time to choose one. These excuses are why I don't want to go back. Tell me what you think about that. Another reason to the mix is because if I don't get this full-time job, I won't be able to pay for the new car my family (mom, sister, and I are splitting) which I'm paying around $450 a month plus rent, so around $800 per month not including the estimations for gas, etc. This new job allows me to pay for these fixed expenses, have room left over to invest say in... stocks, which I'm trying to get into right now (but iffy because it sounds a lot like gambling to me even though there is research and whatnot. I know MJ says it shouldn't be what you do long-term because it IS basically gambling. Still going to try it with a couple of loose change though). The nursing home job also gives me union benefits which I didn't have before.

I want to start transitioning into the fastlane at 18. I was thinking about business, real estate, which I know don't come easy, or maybe even the IT field if anyone knows how to get into that without a degree, maybe a couple of certifications. I'm asking you good, honest people of the fastlane forum to give me advice, share your knowledge with me, what should I do? Did I make the right decisions? People keep telling me I'm 18 and I should just have fun right now but I've always been the one to look at my future and I want to be able to make enough to move my parents back to my country and let them be comfortable financially. I also like luxury and I want to be able to make the income (I know it's not gonna be 2, 4 - 10 years, it's going to take a while, but if I have the right guidance, guidelines, blueprints, I will surely get there) I just need to know what these blueprints are, and how to be able to do what I want to do.

Thank you guys so much for taking your time to read my post, and I will look forward to seeing your responses if anything. Have a great day wherever and whenever you are!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

poseidn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 1, 2016
dont bother investing in stocks with that little income

you invest a few $100 a month, what do you have in 12 months? a few grand? Better to invest that in yourself or paid traffic, website, stock etc, and see exponential returns

Farrel Hakim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 22, 2019
dont bother investing in stocks with that little income

you invest a few $100 a month, what do you have in 12 months? a few grand? Better to invest that in yourself or paid traffic, website, stock etc, and see exponential returns
Thanks, that makes perfect sense. Will use this advice.

Dora Wi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Aug 19, 2020
Hungary
I think your mindset is very respectable. The only thing I feel "qualified" to comment on is college. As someone who went to college thanks to pressure from parents while having no idea what I actually wanted to do or who I even was, I think you shouldn't force yourself to pursue it if you don't feel passionate about it. I'll admit I'm biased though, so of course, you should carefully weigh the pros and cons of finishing college vs leaving it. But no matter what they tell you, it's never too late to go back to studying if you don't do college now but end up wanting to do it in the future.

Farrel Hakim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 22, 2019
I think your mindset is very respectable. The only thing I feel "qualified" to comment on is college. As someone who went to college thanks to pressure from parents while having no idea what I actually wanted to do or who I even was, I think you shouldn't force yourself to pursue it if you don't feel passionate about it. I'll admit I'm biased though, so of course, you should carefully weigh the pros and cons of finishing college vs leaving it. But no matter what they tell you, it's never too late to go back to studying if you don't do college now but end up wanting to do it in the future.
I feel the same way, and I appreciate your input! Thank you for taking the time to read this post and share your advice!

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021
I'd pick a marketable skill closest to something you've already done or enjoyed doing, such as if you liked drawing cartoons then graphic design, if you have bilingual language skills then translation, etc, and freelance that. That's the quickest way to get your feet wet in business.

Only pursue IT field if you've got some interest or aptitude in it, as it's actually quite painful once you have to do it under pressure, especially it's not something you had natural interest in.

Don't worry about degrees, you don't need them in IT or otherwise (I've been a hiring manager before, we don't look at them), you just need evidence of capability and enough knowledge to answer basic questions correctly to get in.

AdanMF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 24, 2021
Hello everyone, My name is Farrel Hakim and I've joined around the time I was 16 (so about two years ago). I came across this forum and MJ DeMarco's Unscripted because I wanted money and I didn't want to be a slowlaner. During the past two years I've changed a lot, still confused, but I've learned a lot that I didn't know before. To be transparent with all of you, my mindset has been bouncing back and forth. "Reality", and "Fantasy" in typical model citizen standards. Within these past two years I got a job at a retail store which I didn't completely hate but I would always despise the number on my paycheck. I recently quit that job and here's where the confusion becomes unbearable for me. I'm stressed. So, a lot of things have happened within the past month which are huge decisions for me to make, I would ask the people of this forum to pick my brain and give me advice based on experience because I definitely do not believe that I'm the only 18 year old having this problem.

This past month, I've quit my job and got a new job at a nursing home, full time and paying 40 ish cents more than minimum wage with the potential to climb fast (or so they said). Honestly, I chose this job because it was the only opportunity given to me that was full-time and paying more than minimum wage in NY ($15 an hour). This decision was easy for me, but in doing so, I would have to drop out of college which I am an undeclared major, paying $900 dollars (after aid) and not even doing the work (mostly) due to lack of motivation in classes, work, and situation with COVID right now. I think a lot of new college students are having this problem as well. I don't like going to school, I'll be perfectly honest, I'm only doing it because my parents told me I needed to do it. My biggest problem is, even if I was still in college, I don't know what major to choose, and I have very limited time to choose one. These excuses are why I don't want to go back. Tell me what you think about that. Another reason to the mix is because if I don't get this full-time job, I won't be able to pay for the new car my family (mom, sister, and I are splitting) which I'm paying around $450 a month plus rent, so around $800 per month not including the estimations for gas, etc. This new job allows me to pay for these fixed expenses, have room left over to invest say in... stocks, which I'm trying to get into right now (but iffy because it sounds a lot like gambling to me even though there is research and whatnot. I know MJ says it shouldn't be what you do long-term because it IS basically gambling. Still going to try it with a couple of loose change though). The nursing home job also gives me union benefits which I didn't have before.

I want to start transitioning into the fastlane at 18. I was thinking about business, real estate, which I know don't come easy, or maybe even the IT field if anyone knows how to get into that without a degree, maybe a couple of certifications. I'm asking you good, honest people of the fastlane forum to give me advice, share your knowledge with me, what should I do? Did I make the right decisions? People keep telling me I'm 18 and I should just have fun right now but I've always been the one to look at my future and I want to be able to make enough to move my parents back to my country and let them be comfortable financially. I also like luxury and I want to be able to make the income (I know it's not gonna be 2, 4 - 10 years, it's going to take a while, but if I have the right guidance, guidelines, blueprints, I will surely get there) I just need to know what these blueprints are, and how to be able to do what I want to do.

Thank you guys so much for taking your time to read my post, and I will look forward to seeing your responses if anything. Have a great day wherever and whenever you are!
I can understand how you feel about school, I also dropped last year, whit the excuse of getting into a new one whit better equipment, but whit this time I have choose what I want out of life, also I found a couple of mentors in Real State in Youtube I only need the money for the courses, meanwhile I´m having a lot of fun learning by my own, it´s amazing the amount of free knowledge in Youtube about programming, even tho I bought a course online, I also remember this girl from a video 3 or 4 years old, that got enough money by selling only what she could find in garage sales and so on, also I´m 21

Bruno Calisso

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 26, 2019
Portugal
Late teens and early twenties are terrible for a young man, even depressing, as you are starting to figure yourself out. My advice, based on my experience is:

- stay out of debt
- save at least $10K
- learn as maximum skills as you can

For this it's ideal to try several oddjobs and stuff... Don't try to follow a certain path when you are so unsure and green on life, you'll regret later and you'll want to quit whatever it is your planned carreer. You can help your family by working on anything.

This is a time of exponential growth.

In the next 5-10 years focus on growing, you will be glad that you followed the right path and made good choices ten years from now.

- Save money for adulthood (later you'll be more prepared for life surprises and have more resources to start investing when you're sure about what you want to do).

- Read as maximum as you can, on business, management, ecommerce, etc.

- Invest on personal development, invest in your selfdiscipline, responsability, health, your emotional wellbeing, etc. For the fastlane to work you need to be on your best. There is no way out of this.

- Have fun, learn as maximum as you can, grow slowly but good and save money.

In a few years you'll be ready for whatever it is that you need/want.

Farrel Hakim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 22, 2019
I'd pick a marketable skill closest to something you've already done or enjoyed doing, such as if you liked drawing cartoons then graphic design, if you have bilingual language skills then translation, etc, and freelance that. That's the quickest way to get your feet wet in business.

Only pursue IT field if you've got some interest or aptitude in it, as it's actually quite painful once you have to do it under pressure, especially it's not something you had natural interest in.

Don't worry about degrees, you don't need them in IT or otherwise (I've been a hiring manager before, we don't look at them), you just need evidence of capability and enough knowledge to answer basic questions correctly to get in.
This was extremely helpful! Thank you so much for the advice!

Farrel Hakim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 22, 2019
I can understand how you feel about school, I also dropped last year, whit the excuse of getting into a new one whit better equipment, but whit this time I have choose what I want out of life, also I found a couple of mentors in Real State in Youtube I only need the money for the courses, meanwhile I´m having a lot of fun learning by my own, it´s amazing the amount of free knowledge in Youtube about programming, even tho I bought a course online, I also remember this girl from a video 3 or 4 years old, that got enough money by selling only what she could find in garage sales and so on, also I´m 21
Youtube is so useful, glad you're getting a lot if value from it, I hope that you grow in your success! Good luck and thank you for replying.

Farrel Hakim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 22, 2019
Late teens and early twenties are terrible for a young man, even depressing, as you are starting to figure yourself out. My advice, based on my experience is:

- stay out of debt
- save at least $10K
- learn as maximum skills as you can

For this it's ideal to try several oddjobs and stuff... Don't try to follow a certain path when you are so unsure and green on life, you'll regret later and you'll want to quit whatever it is your planned carreer. You can help your family by working on anything.

This is a time of exponential growth.

In the next 5-10 years focus on growing, you will be glad that you followed the right path and made good choices ten years from now.

- Save money for adulthood (later you'll be more prepared for life surprises and have more resources to start investing when you're sure about what you want to do).

- Read as maximum as you can, on business, management, ecommerce, etc.

- Invest on personal development, invest in your selfdiscipline, responsability, health, your emotional wellbeing, etc. For the fastlane to work you need to be on your best. There is no way out of this.

- Have fun, learn as maximum as you can, grow slowly but good and save money.

In a few years you'll be ready for whatever it is that you need/want.
Amazing advice, I will definitely try to pick up new skills and save money for the future! I appreciate your comment.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Working for a nursing home is useful, as it is a source of income that you can always find, no matter what state you live in. When the wolf is at the door, it's better to have some income than none.

I question why the car is $450/month for you if you are splitting it with your parents and sister. Are you paying for it by yourself and then sharing it with them? Or are all three of you on the title? When I was in a situation back in 2014 where I was making $9.25/hour, the best decision I ever made was to buy a 1997 Toyota Corolla for $2800. It had 110,000 miles on it when I bought it. Now it has 212,000 and it still runs like a dream. Just two weeks ago, I drove it across the country from Colorado to Virginia and it worked perfectly. An expensive car will rob from you far more than it gives, considering that a cheap car will get you from point A to point B just as well. I would personally look into selling the car if you can and replace it with one that won't eat so far into your funds.

College - yeah it's hard to see how college will help you at this stage. Your parents think you need it because that was the kind of advice that would have worked for them when they were your age. The world is different now. The only degrees that might be worth getting are certain very advanced fields with high salaries, like medicine or engineering. Anything other than that is pretty much a joke in terms of helping you to get hired for good money. And I'm not just talking about your typical "fluffy" degrees, like humanities or psychology or English. Example: my cousin recently got her PhD in computational quantum chemistry. Guess how much she can make with a degree like that? Around $60,000 a year. Yeah. A person without a degree can make double that if they get a good sales job.

I would focus on looking for a need to meet. Quoting @Andy Black , "Who can you help?"

Once you find out what need you want to meet, there are ways to get the knowledge without going through college. And while a college degree used to help you in job applications, employers are discovering that a degree is no indicator of likely job performance.

So I would focus on finding a need. Keep your eyes open at your nursing home job. What pain points do you experience on a daily basis? Where could something really make your life easier and save you (and your coworkers) time? Could you develop that thing?

I would also look into jobs at trades where they struggle to find workers. You can make $90,000 a year with no degree if you go into something like welding or being a diesel mechanic. You don't have to do it forever, but it would be a way to get a much bigger reward for your time so that you can free yourself up to meet your goals quicker.

You're carrying a lot of pressure right now, but I think you have the attitude and drive to make this work. Keep us posted! You've got this!

Farrel Hakim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 22, 2019
Working for a nursing home is useful, as it is a source of income that you can always find, no matter what state you live in. When the wolf is at the door, it's better to have some income than none.

I question why the car is $450/month for you if you are splitting it with your parents and sister. Are you paying for it by yourself and then sharing it with them? Or are all three of you on the title? When I was in a situation back in 2014 where I was making $9.25/hour, the best decision I ever made was to buy a 1997 Toyota Corolla for $2800. It had 110,000 miles on it when I bought it. Now it has 212,000 and it still runs like a dream. Just two weeks ago, I drove it across the country from Colorado to Virginia and it worked perfectly. An expensive car will rob from you far more than it gives, considering that a cheap car will get you from point A to point B just as well. I would personally look into selling the car if you can and replace it with one that won't eat so far into your funds.

College - yeah it's hard to see how college will help you at this stage. Your parents think you need it because that was the kind of advice that would have worked for them when they were your age. The world is different now. The only degrees that might be worth getting are certain very advanced fields with high salaries, like medicine or engineering. Anything other than that is pretty much a joke in terms of helping you to get hired for good money. And I'm not just talking about your typical "fluffy" degrees, like humanities or psychology or English. Example: my cousin recently got her PhD in computational quantum chemistry. Guess how much she can make with a degree like that? Around $60,000 a year. Yeah. A person without a degree can make double that if they get a good sales job.

I would focus on looking for a need to meet. Quoting @Andy Black , "Who can you help?"

Once you find out what need you want to meet, there are ways to get the knowledge without going through college. And while a college degree used to help you in job applications, employers are discovering that a degree is no indicator of likely job performance.

So I would focus on finding a need. Keep your eyes open at your nursing home job. What pain points do you experience on a daily basis? Where could something really make your life easier and save you (and your coworkers) time? Could you develop that thing?

I would also look into jobs at trades where they struggle to find workers. You can make $90,000 a year with no degree if you go into something like welding or being a diesel mechanic. You don't have to do it forever, but it would be a way to get a much bigger reward for your time so that you can free yourself up to meet your goals quicker.

You're carrying a lot of pressure right now, but I think you have the attitude and drive to make this work. Keep us posted! You've got this!
Thank you so much for this knowledge! I really appreciate this, and I'm already starting to see the pains we (in the nursing home) have to go through for bookkeeping. I'm trying to find solutions in doing it in a faster, more reliable way. Now I just need to find out HOW to create this tool. I also see the logic in doing a job that makes a lot for a couple of years just to accumulate the money and start something that I can do that I like, am good at, and one that also makes a decent amount of money in accordance to the amount of effort I put in. Again, this is amazing knowledge, thank you!

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I edited my initial response to say this...

First, understand yourself better. Do this by taking personality assessments such as Big 5, MBTI, DISC, and CliftonStrengths.

Read your results and look into your "type" more after learning what it or they are. They usually have strengths and weaknesses, career, and so on sections.

Focus on your strengths. Develop marketable skills that align with your strengths. Sell your services via a job, freelance, and so on.

First, know thyself.

Last edited:

999michaelh

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Mar 20, 2021
Man I just dropped out of university. Screw college. Personally, I can never see myself doing a 9-5. Don't have any fields that I'm interested in.

I did some soul-searching and liked the idea of creating & selling a business for millions.

I guess just figure out where your interests are(whether it's a job or building businesses) and know how much $ u want to make, then work really hard broski. I'd like to make $2 million this year so there's no way a 9-5 could get me that.

I'm also 18 and as to whether you should "have fun"... well I'd rather get rich first, develop amazing character and THEN have fun when I'm 21-22 than have fun right now. How I see it is even if I grind for 2-3 years, I have like 10 years to party afterwards. Not too late brotha

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Man I just dropped out of university. Screw college. Personally, I can never see myself doing a 9-5. Don't have any fields that I'm interested in.

I did some soul-searching and liked the idea of creating & selling a business for millions.

I guess just figure out where your interests are(whether it's a job or building businesses) and know how much $ u want to make, then work really hard broski. I'd like to make $2 million this year so there's no way a 9-5 could get me that.

I'm also 18 and as to whether you should "have fun"... well I'd rather get rich first, develop amazing character and THEN have fun when I'm 21-22 than have fun right now. How I see it is even if I grind for 2-3 years, I have like 10 years to party afterwards. Not too late brotha

I used to believe that when i was 18. 21 now. Ended up not happening in 2-3 years. You don't have to "hustle 24/7". Hard work is needed of course but don't believe the "you gotta give up sleep" professional motivational speakers that haven't done F*ck all else like Eric Thomas.

As long as you are still working hard the majority of the time, you can go out for a drink on a Friday and Saturday.

MJ stated before on this forum that one of his regrets was not partying enough in college.

Focused, productive, smart work >> Smashing your head against the keyboard doing busy work because Gary Vee told you to.

999michaelh

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Mar 20, 2021
I used to believe that when i was 18. 21 now. Ended up not happening in 2-3 years. You don't have to "hustle 24/7". Hard work is needed of course but don't believe the "you gotta give up sleep" professional motivational speakers that haven't done f*ck all else like Eric Thomas.

As long as you are still working hard the majority of the time, you can go out for a drink on a Friday and Saturday.

MJ stated before on this forum that one of his regrets was not partying enough in college.

Focused, productive, smart work >> Smashing your head against the keyboard doing busy work because Gary Vee told you to.
So true. I had that stupid hustle culture, sacrifice sleep mindset for so long 'cause Gary Vee and a bad friend group infected my brain when I was like 15 and intellectually immature.

Now I'm aiming for 24/7 work with GOOD SLEEP. I just watched a video from 'Bulldog mindset' and Jordan Peterson and I realized that if you can learn to enjoy the grind it becomes way easier. Jordan Peterson said that he enjoyed pushing himself to the limit, that he'd been doing 14h/day of work for 30+ years and that he always tries to do things as efficiently as possible.

I've been subconsciously dreading the grind all this time but ima try to imitate JP now and achieve tons of work hours & maximum efficiency.

About the partying thing - personally I derive my self-esteem from accomplishing things(not sure if that's good or not) and I'm horrible in terms of social skills, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. Maybe the OP's similar to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013
I want to start transitioning into the fastlane at 18.
So how will you start?

I was thinking about business, real estate, which I know don't come easy,
Are you looking for something that comes easy?

or maybe even the IT field if anyone knows how to get into that without a degree, maybe a couple of certifications.
Maybe if it's easy?

I'm asking you good, honest people of the fastlane forum to give me advice, share your knowledge with me, what should I do?
What do you think you should do? Besides quit college and take the almost minimum wage job?

Did I make the right decisions?
What do you think?
People keep telling me I'm 18 and I should just have fun right now but I've always been the one to look at my future and I want to be able to make enough to move my parents back to my country and let them be comfortable financially.
Why not do both?

I also like luxury and I want to be able to make the income (I know it's not gonna be 2, 4 - 10 years, it's going to take a while, but if I have the right guidance, guidelines, blueprints, I will surely get there)
2,4-10 years, What does that depend on?

I just need to know what these blueprints are, and how to be able to do what I want to do.
It's all about the right "blueprints" right? What if there is no blueprint?
What if you need to just take responsibility?

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016

"During the past 2 years I have changed a lot" but you are also going to change significantly in the next 2 years . Only with age your personality will start to solidify.

My advice is to leverage that student loan and focus on a degree that you are passionate about and can either a) increase your $/h, preferably b) build a fastlane business out of college c) fall back to when b fails. Forget about wasting cash into stocks when you should put in everything to do either a) or b). You also need to have a very close look at your expenses, because apparently you are already doing something wrong at 18, when you pay 450/month for a family car that is shared by 2 others. I like that you are hustling a full time job and honestly its the best thing you can do. These kids that dont want to work a 9-5 without ever having done one are a joke. You dont understand or know the pain when you have never been there. These experiences are what pushes and motivates most people. and btw you should also enjoy life. Entrepreneurship is not about sacrifise and pain. You will never be able to repeat that age. So take your time, stress less but build towards that life that you envision

Farrel Hakim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 22, 2019
So how will you start?

Are you looking for something that comes easy?

Maybe if it's easy?

What do you think you should do? Besides quit college and take the almost minimum wage job?

What do you think?

Why not do both?

2,4-10 years, What does that depend on?

Once I started asking myself these questions I didn't know how to answer them. But a couple of things have happened. I started working at that nursing home and found some problems that they were having with bookkeeping. It's slow, it's old and it's definitely not efficient. It sparked something in me to go learn and start a project. Make a program that can help them with bookkeeping. Something efficient and easy to use because it takes over an hour just to do simple attendance for 4 floors. So now there are some things I understand: when you want a problem to be solved, you will try to solve it, and so I've started my journey to learn C# to make this program. These questions have helped me and you're right- I just need to start taking responsibility. Thank you so much for your feedback!

Farrel Hakim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 22, 2019
"During the past 2 years I have changed a lot" but you are also going to change significantly in the next 2 years . Only with age your personality will start to solidify.

My advice is to leverage that student loan and focus on a degree that you are passionate about and can either a) increase your $/h, preferably b) build a fastlane business out of college c) fall back to when b fails. Forget about wasting cash into stocks when you should put in everything to do either a) or b). You also need to have a very close look at your expenses, because apparently you are already doing something wrong at 18, when you pay 450/month for a family car that is shared by 2 others. I like that you are hustling a full time job and honestly its the best thing you can do. These kids that dont want to work a 9-5 without ever having done one are a joke. You dont understand or know the pain when you have never been there. These experiences are what pushes and motivates most people. and btw you should also enjoy life. Entrepreneurship is not about sacrifise and pain. You will never be able to repeat that age. So take your time, stress less but build towards that life that you envision
Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to post. You're completely right. This 9-5 is motivating me a lot, not just with the pain of the work, but with the understanding that there are problems that can be solved to help make the business more efficient, and that's what I will focus on outside of work which might turn into something grander. I'm keeping my goals small, taking it one day at a time, not rushing too much now, I understand it takes a while to get to where I want to be, and I want to do it right. I'll take the time to figure myself out as @Daniela suggested.

Farrel Hakim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 22, 2019

Wish you all the luck man, definitely will reach where you want to be with consistency. Thank for your feedback, keep in touch.

Dora Wi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Aug 19, 2020
Hungary
You are great at asking (tough) questions :D This last one was a tough lesson I learnt along the way - if you look for blueprints, you will just stand in one place for a long time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.