The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

And away we go ...again

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
Greetings All,

I'm on the cusp of finishing up the second MJ book, "Unscripted ". Love the book.

So let me tell you what I'm not...

I'm not hyped up to be the next "BIG" thing and have no visions of grandeur, I know from my past attempts this is really hard-shit, yep the blueprint is there, but you're going to have to get used to being uncomfortable and bleeding white. I know what's he's saying and can appreciate the message and respect the warning > proceed with extreme caution and don't get all giggly that your going to be rich if your willing to work your a$$ off, your not, you might and you could, but your going to have feel the mental pain like you've never imagined existed and it really sucks. MJ got his a$$ handed to him quite a few times before he cracked the code and that took years, Can you handle getting your a$$ kicked for years?

So, I'm gonna stick my chin out there and ask your thoughts, it's not a business plan, I'd like to call it my expedition map. Like Ray Dalio said something like this in his book "Principles", "You're going to have to go into the jungle and have to get to the other side and there are many things in the jungle that can kill you. Check your equipment list and be prepared to make changes "

Fair enough thank you, Ray ( nice guy), so as I prepare for my Arctic expedition with the likes of Shackleton, here's my first map;

Education > read more and more, I already read a lot but I got some new a$$-kicking books recommended by forum members, so this is my getting to know the terrain part.

Yeah, I can't see myself waiting to read the ten books about shit I have little to no knowledge about and sit on the bench waiting for all of it to make sense if it does at all, kind of like playing pocket pool. So, I need a little more action and adventure, Wordpress seems like a good piece of equipment, so I'm signing up for Wordpress and get familiar with the unknown and bump into all kinds of stuff, just like learning how to drive.

I'll never look at another website the same, so I'll spend some time poking around at websites and see how my new perspective translates into how to build my ship.

Work on some writing skills, I'm pretty good with content in my own head, but I'll stick my chin out there and let the market decide if I'm a legend in my own mind or maybe my principles of managing people have value, talk about a crowded field, yikes!!

Maybe publish a short E-book on Amazon for cheap, I'll never know the temperature unless I'm willing to stick my toe in the water. I'd prefer the opportunity to maybe get a hit opposed to sitting on the bench, I wanna get in the game. I know, my grammatical form sucks, but so did Hemingway's.

Okay, round one, fire away, I'm ready for a good old fashion a$$-kicking of thoughts.

(Formatted by moderator for easier readability)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
Greetings All,
I'm on the cusp of finishing up the second MJ book, "Unscripted " love the book, so let me tell you what I'm not. I'm not hyped up to be the next "BIG" thing and have no visions of grandeur, I know from my past attempts this is really hard-shit, yep the blueprint is there, but you're going to have to get used to being uncomfortable and bleeding white. I know what's he's saying and can appreciate the message and respect the warning > proceed with extreme caution and don't get all giggly that your going to be rich if your willing to work your a$$ off, your not, you might and you could, but your going to have feel the mental pain like you've never imagined existed and it really sucks. MJ got his a$$ handed to him quite a few times before he cracked the code and that took years, Can you handle getting your a$$ kicked for years?

So, I'm gonna stick my chin out there and ask your thoughts, it's not a business plan, I'd like to call it my expedition map. Like Ray Dalio said something like this in his book "Principles", "You're going to have to go into the jungle and have to get to the other side and there are many things in the jungle that can kill you. Check your equipment list and be prepared to make changes "

Fair enough thank you, Ray ( nice guy), so as I prepare for my Arctic expedition with the likes of Shackleton, here's my first map;
Education > read more and more, I already read a lot but I got some new a$$-kicking books recommended by forum members, so this is my getting to know the terrain part.
Yeah, I can't see myself waiting to read the ten books about shit I have little to no knowledge about and sit on the bench waiting for all of it to make sense if it does at all, kind of like playing pocket pool. So, I need a little more action and adventure, Wordpress seems like a good piece of equipment, so I'm signing up for Wordpress and get familiar with the unknown and bump into all kinds of stuff, just like learning how to drive.
I'll never look at another website the same, so I'll spend some time poking around at websites and see how my new perspective translates into how to build my ship.
Work on some writing skills, I'm pretty good with content in my own head, but I'll stick my chin out there and let the market decide if I'm a legend in my own mind or maybe my principles of managing people have value, talk about a crowded field, yikes!!
Maybe publish a short E-book on Amazon for cheap, I'll never know the temperature unless I'm willing to stick my toe in the water. I'd prefer the opportunity to maybe get a hit opposed to sitting on the bench, I wanna get in the game. I know, my grammatical form sucks, but so did Hemingway's.

Okay, round one, fire away, I'm ready for a good old fashion a$$-kicking of thoughts.
Wow 64 views and not a peep, I guess that's the first one on the kisser, ouch.

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
Not sure what you're looking for...
Hi Dan,

Thank for the reply, not a shortcut. I figured that many have walked a mile in the shoes I'm about to put on and wanted to share their quest, maybe add something to my map or shuffle the deck. I'm always one that appreciates another person's thoughts.

NursingTn

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 30, 2019
Heart disease is the #1 killer in USA.

Write a book that will help my patients become convinced to take the first step in eating better and being more active to promote a healthier heart. Bonus points if:

1) the book invokes deep emotions from them that they can always go back to for inspiration over and over

2) short and simple. No body wants to read an encyclopedia, or a 200 page novel. Think Dr Seuss kind of books.

3) easily readable by those with poor vision.

4) audible version is also nice.

I gave you a real problem I have. Solve it for me. You'll get a lot of medical professionals interested if your book becomes part of standard treatment to help patients get and stay healthy.

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
Greetings All,
I'm on the cusp of finishing up the second MJ book, "Unscripted " love the book, so let me tell you what I'm not. I'm not hyped up to be the next "BIG" thing and have no visions of grandeur, I know from my past attempts this is really hard-shit, yep the blueprint is there, but you're going to have to get used to being uncomfortable and bleeding white. I know what's he's saying and can appreciate the message and respect the warning > proceed with extreme caution and don't get all giggly that your going to be rich if your willing to work your a$$ off, your not, you might and you could, but your going to have feel the mental pain like you've never imagined existed and it really sucks. MJ got his a$$ handed to him quite a few times before he cracked the code and that took years, Can you handle getting your a$$ kicked for years?

So you've almost finished Unscripted and you're thinking a publishing an ebook on Amazon? I think you've missed the point here.

Don't start going in circles tinkering with websites or writing with no direction. You'll get frustrated and end up no where. Find a problem worth solving, an unmet need or something you just think you can sell.

There are hundreds of threads you can use for inspiration.

Get started on a business idea, take small but continuous action everyday and the path will reveal itself.

Good luck!

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
Heart disease is the #1 killer in USA.

Write a book that will help my patients become convinced to take the first step in eating better and being more active to promote a healthier heart. Bonus points if:

1) the book invokes deep emotions from them that they can always go back to for inspiration over and over

2) short and simple. No body wants to read an encyclopedia, or a 200 page novel. Think Dr Seuss kind of books.

3) easily readable by those with poor vision.

4) audible version is also nice.

I gave you a real problem I have. Solve it for me. You'll get a lot of medical professionals interested if your book becomes part of standard treatment to help patients get and stay healthy.
Greetings
So you've almost finished Unscripted and you're thinking a publishing an ebook on Amazon? I think you've missed the point here.

Don't start going in circles tinkering with websites or writing with no direction. You'll get frustrated and end up no where. Find a problem worth solving, an unmet need or something you just think you can sell.

Get started on a business idea, take small but continuous action everyday and the path will reveal itself.

Good luck!
Thank you Envious and that's what I was looking for, to not go around in circles as I think there are more than a few ways to approach this type of journey and your feedback provided clarity and purpose. When building a plan I have a tendency to try too hard if that makes sense and over complicate things, this was the reason for my post.

@ Nursing TN, thank you, thank you, writing is something I do now as part of my job and I thought the E-book idea was a test to see if my message of how I develope people would be of interest, call it an action step. But your idea of writing a short story to help people struggling with heart disease is personal for me. The switch to a healthier lifestyle has changed my life, who would think a great nutritional plan could have such a life-changing effect. I never thought of writing on such a subject, thank you again for taking the time to share a great thought and my wife is a nurse to boot.

Last edited:

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019

Good luck!
Ahh..Identify the problem or the challenge than act...lightbulb moment

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
When you get to Chapter 35 of Unscripted , read it.

Then reread it three more times.
Thanks, Rawseed, mission accomplished and I'm glad I took your advice, page 253 was the first of many clunks on the head "people don't want to see opportunity can't see it because they don't want to see what they need to see; unknown variables, new skills, hard work, trial, and error, risk, and failure"
After ruminating for a while I identified the "truth", while I possess many skills and life experience many of my metrics of solving problems don't apply to the entrepreneur mindset, the commands are different and will require some re-tooling of my mindset. I thought I already had the mindset and now realize this will be harder than I thought and will take time to let go.
As I thought more, I also realized some other truths that I thought didn't exist, I am fearful of failure ( what if I don't succeed, is this is an all or nothing quest), perhaps working on something for a couple of years and laying an egg is something I can deal with since I'm no stranger to failing, but, truth be told, maybe I'm more apprehensive internally than my conscious mind is willing to admit ? One of the hardest obstacles is I now realize is changing my mindset, there is no step-by-step process/blueprint written and stone, that if I do exactly this then that will happen = sequential steps, follow the rules and success is guaranteed, like the scripted world often promises, I'm in way over my head in the scripted world, more than I thought. Now, I actually feel more like an outsider looking in, like I'm the only one on the forum with the wrong mindset?
I'm going to have to recalibrate my mind-set before I can even get off the curb, obviously as Endvious said earlier, forget about the other stuff for now or you just going to be running around in circles, I'll never see the problem until I change the mindset.

Last edited:

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
Thanks, Rawseed, mission accomplished and I'm glad I took your advice, page 253 was the first of many clunks on the head "people don't want to see opportunity can't see it because they don't want to see what they need to see; unknown variables, new skills, hard work, trial, and error, risk, and failure"
After ruminating for a while I identified the "truth", while I possess many skills and life experience many of my metrics of solving problems don't apply to the entrepreneur mindset, the commands are different and will require some re-tooling of my mindset. I thought I already had the mindset and now realize this will be harder than I thought and will take time to let go.
As I thought more, I also realized some other truths that I thought didn't exist, I am fearful of failure ( what if I don't succeed, is this is an all or nothing quest), perhaps working on something for a couple of years and laying an egg is something I can deal with since I'm no stranger to failing, but, truth be told, maybe I'm more apprehensive internally than my conscious mind is willing to admit ? One of the hardest obstacles is I now realize is changing my mindset, there is no step-by-step process/blueprint written and stone, that if I do exactly this then that will happen = sequential steps, follow the rules and success is guaranteed, like the scripted world often promises, I'm in way over my head in the scripted world, more than I thought. Now, I actually feel more like an outsider looking in, like I'm the only one on the forum with the wrong mindset?
I'm going to have to recalibrate my mind-set before I can even get off the curb, obviously as Endvious said earlier, forget about the other stuff for now or you just going to be running around in circles, I'll never see the problem until I change the mindset.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Your plan... isn't a plan. It's not concrete, it's not specific, it's not actionable, and it's nothing for anyone here to spend any time on.

"I'm thinking about writing an eBook. What do you guys think?"

You have people here taking real risks. Building real businesses. Taking real chances.

The reason your thread has a bunch of views and almost no action... is nobody cares. Your "idea" is nothing tangible. Go out and fight in the trenches a bit, get some experience under your belt, and come back here with challenges you can't overcome. Then, and ONLY THEN, will you find the help here that you seek.

Your post is akin to me saying "I am thinking about flipping a car. Do you all think this is a good idea?"

There's nothing further to discuss regarding your OP.

More people probably read your OP and decided it was a waste of their time than would have ever considered responding. They just moved on to more interesting threads, with no way to get a rebate for the time they invested in reading your OP.

However, that could be a problem for you. If you want to be a writer, but can't get anyone to engage in your rambling first post on the subject... will you find success as a writer?

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
Your plan... isn't a plan. It's not concrete, it's not specific, it's not actionable, and it's nothing for anyone here to spend any time on.

"I'm thinking about writing an eBook. What do you guys think?"

You have people here taking real risks. Building real businesses. Taking real chances.

The reason your thread has a bunch of views and almost no action... is nobody cares. Your "idea" is nothing tangible. Go out and fight in the trenches a bit, get some experience under your belt, and come back here with challenges you can't overcome. Then, and ONLY THEN, will you find the help here that you seek.

Your post is akin to me saying "I am thinking about flipping a car. Do you all think this is a good idea?"

There's nothing further to discuss regarding your OP.

More people probably read your OP and decided it was a waste of their time than would have ever considered responding. They just moved on to more interesting threads, with no way to get a rebate for the time they invested in reading your OP.

However, that could be a problem for you. If you want to be a writer, but can't get anyone to engage in your rambling first post on the subject... will you find success as a writer?
Thank you, Vigilante, points well taken, and I appreciate the response, ahh, I think you might be missing part of the reason why I started the thread? I've taken real chances that required balls of brass, I've owned businesses and have invested more time and money into those business ventures than the age of many users on this forum. I've built a website with international sales, I've owned a successful restaurant for 14 years, I went into Commerical Printing without a clue to help my father retire his business and didn't know shit, but within two years I was doing national campaigns for Walmart, Pfizer, Rocky Patel which all originated from cold calling . I've taken on a lot of risks and suffered the consequences of bankruptcy, I lived in the trenches and continue to do so.
The reason why nobody would care to respond is maybe more about my thread missing an important ingredient, the what's in it for me question. I was asking for direction and relative experiences, I'm 57, not 21, so I can say with confidence my nuts are still made of brass, just a little wrinkled. I can do my own heavy lifting.
Back to my post, I envision myself sitting in a room filled with like-minded people that do give a shit about the new guy and ask them, hey guys " I've been there and done that but with limited success, then I came across these books read both and before I jump in any speedbumps you want to chime in on? I asked some questions about my map that's all if people think it a waste of time that means it didn't align with their value matrix. This is a forum, right?
Thanks again for your response and as I said earlier, points well taken.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
What is your value proposition? What is it you have to offer to the audience? What is it that you want feedback on?

Whether you should use wordpress, and launch an eBook? What specific, actionable issues do you have?

Might help if you work from the Millionaire Fastlane CENTS framework.

Need
Entry
Control
Time
Scale

What is it you are wanting to launch to the world?

And you are right, I did miss the point of your thread. But whom do you fault for that, the audience or the author?

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
What is your value proposition? What is it you have to offer to the audience? What is it that you want feedback on?

Whether you should use wordpress, and launch an eBook? What specific, actionable issues do you have?

Might help if you work from the Millionaire Fastlane CENTS framework.

Need
Entry
Control
Time
Scale

What is it you are wanting to launch to the world?

And you are right, I did miss the point of your thread. But whom do you fault for that, the audience or the author?

Just from this conversation with you, I would say you and I had preconceived thoughts because my post was "ambiguous" and sounded more like a whiner? The temperature changed once we got to know each, then you got a better sense of where I was coming from. Hey, I never said I was a world-class author...lol. The gold nugget you delivered to me was the market saying, you need to be better at clarifying what you're trying to convey, better yet, what are you actually working on?

Believe it or not, this tiny thread with few responses has already given me the answers( not a lot of responses, but the responses came from very credible contributors), confirmation that problems of the past were never about my approach, but the lacking critical elements of CENTS, some of my past business ventures only possessed three or two of the commands, maybe if skews were deployed the ending could have been different ? who knows, can't change the past, turn the page and back into the trenches. I get it everyone is busy, busy trying to build a fortune and save the world, but it's really about the money, lot's of money.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Wow 64 views and not a peep, I guess that's the first one on the kisser, ouch.
You probably didn’t get any replies because you didn’t ask for any replies?

I see @Vigilante engaged. He doesn’t normally devote that much time replying, and rarely twice. So that’s something.

My thoughts on your opening post (which I only read after seeing @Vigilante reply):
  • Get more eyeballs with a more relevant subject line.
  • Hook people immediately so they keep reading (if you want them to keep reading that is... sometimes I write posts as a journal, not to get people to read).
  • Use white space to help people keep moving at a good clip.
  • Educate and/or Entertain and only then will you Earn what you’re looking for (attention, replies, feedback, a click-through).
  • You miss some of the intriguing details you mention in a later post. They give context and credibility. More importantly, they help people to get to know YOU.
  • You mention it later... everyone is tuned to WiiFM - What’s in it For Me?
  • Finish with a Call-To-Action (CTA)? Maybe a question? Maybe a request for feedback? Even a cry for help.

This thread might help:

I hope that helps!

So what is it you’re trying to do?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Maybe this call might help you?

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
Greetings All,

I am still waiting on my Amazon shipment on Unscripted . I feel that you should also read The Millionaire Fastlane . I think its a better book as as far as getting your ideas straightened out. Keep a pen and paper handy and when MJ asks questions or ideas, write down your thinking. Once you get that rolling, then do the CENTS analysis as previously mentioned.

As far as reading goes, after TMF you should solely read books that pertain to the task at hand. MJ says this many times. If you want to get better at Wordpress, read books solely on that. Wanna have better grammar or writing? Read books about that.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
@Josephseal - Just dropping a quick note to let you know I reformatted your original post to be easier to read. Want more engagement with your thread? Format your posts for easier readability. (separate your paragraphs, use shorter paragraphs, use proper punctuation, etc. )

People don't usually take the time to read walls of text. ;)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

You've jumped in a pool with no direction and are just aimlessly swimming.

Until you have a solution that you want to create, that will continue.

Be led by the problem and the solution, it is your GPS. Until then, everything else, Wordpress, books, et.al is mostly action-faking.

Welcome to the forum.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Four mods responded. All variants of “get your shit together”

:)

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
You've jumped in a pool with no direction and are just aimlessly swimming.

Until you have a solution that you want to create, that will continue.

Be led by the problem and the solution, it is your GPS. Until then, everything else, Wordpress, books, et.al is mostly action-faking.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies, I've read both books and can really appreciate the painstaking efforts by MJ to write them both.

@ Vigilante, yep four mods in one day, not bad.

Let’s start with where I’m at currently at, I’m employed as an area director for a full-service multi-unit brand restaurant group on track to go national within the next 5-10 years. I oversee the operations of five stores, 300 employees and $15.4 million in revenue collectively.

I’ve been in this industry for 41 years from bottom to top as well as ownership with a few stints outside of this industry as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

For those not familiar with the F&B industry from the inside, the F&B industry is a 1.4 trillion dollar a year industry representing 10% of the US workforce, 5% of our GNP and 10% of where consumers disposable income lands. Profit margins are constantly being diluted at an accelerated rate and the quality of the workforce has become much compromised as resources are becoming scarce.

Add to that we’re feeding people, remember the “Chipotle” meltdown when 700 people got salmonella, just like that and they still haven’t fully recovered.

As a result, the mega brands and the need to better educate the operations management teams to think and act like entrepreneurs is becoming more difficult a lost art of mentorship is being replaced by over- standardization. We’re teaching them to" do" rather than to "think".

Operations personnel have very little access to one another outside of their respected territories resulting in not really having a singular place to share ideas. Take for example the state of CT, where I live. The state recently changed the labor laws regarding the tip credit “Labor Rules”, many large and small restaurants were unaware and have resulted in million-dollar class action suites ( true story), so the federal laws which differ are second to state laws.

A solution to the isolation of operations personal as well as both the front of the house (FOH) and back of house (BOH) staff is a platform which brings all people in the industry together. I envision an open space environment similar to “Facebook” where people can come together and share experiences and ideas.

Currently, there are many basic and vanilla blogs as well as some forum type resources, but they are lacking and really don’t deliver the opportunity for the boots on the ground personnel, much of the content is outdated or mundane to an experienced operator. There is information out there, but it’s not centralized, however some sites I was able to find require a $40.00 per month subscription fee, few people in my industry are going to pony up $40.00 bucks a month.

After reading the “TMF ” I was able to better understand the dynamics and purpose and ask myself some very challenging questions, I also found some compelling solutions in "TMF ". I would like to start the process of taking all my research and experience and build a platform that connects people in the niche market of F&B.

So does my idea meet the criteria of CENTS ?

Commandment #1 Control = Yes, I build the site and maintain it as well as choose to make “skews” based on what the market says.

Commandment #2 Entry = The “Entry” barrier is low but the idea is what could push it over the top.

Commandment # 3 Need, with 41 years of experience and through my own research, the need is there to connect people in a niche market.

Commandment # Time, in the beginning, it will take a lot of time, once the tipping point is hit, then the time needed will change as more resources become available.

Commandment # 4 Scale, Yes, if the market deems this a valuable resource than the scale can become global.

Thoughts ?

Last edited:

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
As a result, the mega brands and the need to better educate the operations management teams to think and act like entrepreneurs is becoming more difficult a lost art of mentorship is being replaced by over- standardization. We’re teaching them to" do" rather than to "think".

This seems like a problem you could help your industry solve. Maybe with online or offline workshops. I think @Andy Black has posts on this.

Operations personnel have very little access to one another outside of their respected territories resulting in not really having a singular place to share ideas. Take for example the state of CT, where I live. The state recently changed the labor laws regarding the tip credit “Labor Rules”, many large and small restaurants were unaware and have resulted in million-dollar class action suites ( true story), so the federal laws which differ are second to state laws.

This seems like a problem you could help your industry solve. Maybe with a newsletter. I know @Andy Black has posts on this.

A solution to the isolation of operations personal as well as both the front of the house (FOH) and back of house (BOH) staff is a platform which brings all people in the industry together. I envision an open space environment similar to “Facebook” where people can come together and share experiences and ideas.

You're using the term platform. But, do you mean membership site with a community aspect? Or a community like the forum we are on right now?

Forums and communities are platforms. They're just not typically referred to as such.

These days when people say platform, they are typically referring to something like Facebook Ads, Google Ads, YouTube Ads, SalesForce, AirBnB, Uber, Amazon marketplace, Amazon eBooks, Apple App Store, UpWork, TaskRabbit, Udemy, etc...

It's being the middle man between producers and consumers.

Currently, there are many basic and vanilla blogs as well as some forum type resources, but they are lacking and really don’t deliver the opportunity for the boots on the ground personnel, much of the content is outdated or mundane to an experienced operator. There is information out there, but it’s not centralized, however some sites I was able to find require a $40.00 per month subscription fee, few people in my industry are going to pony up $40.00 bucks a month.

If you produce, demonstrate, and market $41 a month of value, people will pay $40 a month for it.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA

Commandment #1 Control = Yes, I build the site and maintain it as well as choose to make “skews” based on what the market says.

Commandment #2 Entry = The “Entry” barrier is low but the idea is what could push it over the top.

Commandment # 3 Need, with 41 years of experience and through my own research, the need is there to connect people in a niche market.

Commandment # Time, in the beginning, it will take a lot of time, once the tipping point is hit, then the time needed will change as more resources become available.

Commandment # 4 Scale, Yes, if the market deems this a valuable resource than the scale can become global.

Thoughts ?

I still don't understand your solution to the problem(s).

What are you selling?

Membership?
Community?
Your expertise?
News?
Connection?
Ad space?

How are your members paying you?

Money (subscription fee)?
Attention (advertising model)?
Both?

How big is this market?
Have you validated the need?
Have you validated whether or not they're willing to pay for your solution with their money and or their attention?

Trying to get people to pay for connection can be difficult.

You might be better served monetizing your expertise and experience with either workshops, a membership site, a newsletter, and/or online courses.

The key is to figure out what problem you're solving and what transformation you're providing.

People will pay for transformation.

How can you save your customers time, effort, energy or money?
How can you make their lives easier?
How can you make things simpler?
How can you help them make more money?
How can you keep them up to date on industry news and events?
How can you make them look good?
How can you increase their status?
How can you reduce their fears?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
A solution to the isolation of operations personal as well as both the front of the house (FOH) and back of house (BOH) staff is a platform which brings all people in the industry together.
Whenever I hear of people building platforms I think of this:

I envision an open space environment similar to “Facebook” where people can come together and share experiences and ideas.
Maybe there are Facebook groups already doing this? Are there any out there already for the people you want to serve? Go find them, and start helping people immediately? Go find them and figure out what the group owners are doing well, and what they're missing out on?

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, business is as simple as "Add value. Get paid." Can you go and add value now, and figure out how to get paid as you do it? I bet you can do it without building a platform.

This call might help:

EDIT: I see I've already linked to that call. Did you get a chance to listen to it? What were your takeaways?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Maybe publish a short E-book on Amazon for cheap, I'll never know the temperature unless I'm willing to stick my toe in the water. I'd prefer the opportunity to maybe get a hit opposed to sitting on the bench, I wanna get in the game.
OK, now this statement has a bit more context. You want to help the FOH and BOH staff with maybe a low-priced and short eBook on Amazon?

Have you helped any of those people? Do you have content that you know already helps people? Maybe you already have, in which case the eBook is the next step. If not, then consider listening to that call I've linked to a couple of times, and maybe reading this thread:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Thoughts ?

What does it grade?

Share the link here, I'd like to take a look at how you rate it.

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
Whenever I hear of people building platforms I think of this:

Maybe there are Facebook groups already doing this? Are there any out there already for the people you want to serve? Go find them, and start helping people immediately? Go find them and figure out what the group owners are doing well, and what they're missing out on?

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, business is as simple as "Add value. Get paid." Can you go and add value now, and figure out how to get paid as you do it? I bet you can do it without building a platform.

This call might help:

EDIT: I see I've already linked to that call. Did you get a chance to listen to it? What were your takeaways?
Greetings All,

Thank you kindly for having an interest and taking the time to respond, I apologize for the late response, today was a mega load, we all get those once in a while. But I doubt this thread is a Cliff Hanger.

@ Rawseed, when I use the term platform (incorrectly) I’m referring to a community forum like this one. I’ve always been led to help people first and the money chases me, I want to create an open space environment to help the many people in my industry solve problems in a communal way offering a centralized internet-based location to meet and share ideas and awareness. There are other options =, kind of, but not really.

@ Rawseed part 2 =

• I would be offering community, news & connections. Membership would be free as it is here. I would generate revenue through “Ad Space”, Special seminars as a paid option hosted by myself or others, industry experts. (I'm not an expert)
  • One idea could be an accredited “ Sexual Harassment Webinar presented through the forum for a price, presented by an expert on the complex interpretations and laws of “Sexual Harassment” The attendees would then receive a certificate upon completion. Certification is close to being mandated in CT the same as “Serve Safe” certification. That would be just one example of removing the process of a company like mine having to gather there teams to an off-site location for 6 hours, not to mention the education awareness value. Sexual Harassment claims are a nightmare and very costly and given the environment in which we work are prevalent, aside from the moron that that a$$ grabs there is a tremendous amount of confusion as to what is and isn't "Sexual Harassment"
  • Paid” Labor Rules” Webinars would defiantly generate huge interest, so many large companies such as Fridays and mid-size multi-unit operations are being sued for millions for labor law violations in class actions suits. My son works for a Mega Stock company and they have no awareness or systems in place, the laws allow attorneys to go back two years, imagine if you’re Darden.
  • The market if we speak in terms of F & B, across just the US is immense, as you saw from the numbers I provided above based on the latest information available.
  • The validation of need requires further research, what I know is what I hear from other directors in other companies. Last week I was at the State Capital in CT. to support our industries opposition to the “Tip Credit” wage. I met a lot of owners and operators, we all have the same problems and no place to collectively meet, but, we ALWAYS learn "A LOT " fo one another. Our schedules are typically prohibitive to in-person or phone calls, but if there were some means of connecting with others 24/7, that would work out very well, restaurant people don’t sleep that much.
  • If the value is there, special revenue channels would emerge as well as unforeseen ones.
  • The problem we would be solving is to create a place a person like me can connect with other people like me, with the same problems as me. You can visit when the time is right for you. A place where you can ask questions and get answers or simply become informed. All F & B’s companies have to operate by the same rules( or should), small or large, but the strategies for success or not common.
@ AndyBlack,
  • I did listen to the call and it was insightful.
  • Here’s an oxymoron, I’m a FB snob, I don’t do “FB” or “Twitter” , maybe as you suggest, I should get in there and do some research.
  • I donate a lot of time to helping people no-charge, not to sound corny, but it only seems natural. My world consists of hundreds of people between 18-35 and helping people get un-stuck is extremely rewarding.
  • Every week for the last couple of years I publish a one-page letter to my operators, not about performance and profitability, that’s a different e-mail. The Thursday edition is about principles, life challenges, relationships and walking through the mind field of life. My goal is to do kind of what MJ does, de-bunk their life script and work script. My weekly letter is very well received, so I keep writing to them. I also save everyone and have about 160 to date. That’s why I was thinking to sift through them and create an E-book for whatever the lowest price I could sell it for and see if there was a need/ interest does my thinking make sense?
  • Off to take the test from MJ
  • Cheers,

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
What does it grade?

Share the link here, I'd like to take a look at how you rate it.

Here is the link, I took it three times as I adjusted my answers after going back an reviewing the "the Infomation Tab. So, I was penalized, I wasn't trying to cheat, just tired and wanted to give the best answers. The first score was a 66.5 and letter grade of C+

Grade my Business

Last edited:

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
GradeMyBusinessIdea.com
Your Grade For Your Business Idea
Forum Based Community to serve the F&B Industry
Description: An open space environment providing centralized location or learning and communicating
??
Numerical Score
73.7 out of 100

Errant, dishonest, and/or contradicting data entered. Idea could not be graded.
STRENGTHS
  • Your idea (solution) is incredibly unique and/or will be seen as highly valuable.
    The need you've identified, or the relative value as compared to existing options is incredibly strong. The NEED metric is the most important, assuming the market is accessible.
  • Few, if any third-party dependencies.
    Congrats on having control over the major operations of your business. Not one company can ruin your business with one arbitrary decision. You have effectively mitigated a substantial risk that many small businesses undertake.
  • Decent market size.
    The size of your market is healthy with plenty of buyers. This means if you succeed, even moderately, your business can potentially change your life. Execute at 'best-case scenario' levels and your life will probably change.
  • Ease of replication!
    Looks like once your idea is created, it will be easily replicated into thousands, perhaps millions of units. This mathematical truth can potentially change your life should you execute well - meeting demand won't be a problem. Assuming a market size that can support it, your ceiling for business success exponentiates. You might make it rain money.
  • Consumable product with a lot of repeat use!
    Your idea can be used over and over again, or it follows a monthly subscription model. With a repeat use product/service, marketing efforts and their financial returns expand. This creates a synergy and momentum for execution success that compounds monthly. Success in this area will raise up your mathematical ceilings for wealth.
  • Time is an ally, ease of automation
    Your idea can be seperated from your time, and exist in time. This powerful relationship can eventually lead to the entrepreneurial holy grail, passive income. At some point, after your initial time investment into the business and its automation processes, your business will earn dual pay: Payment of money, and payment of time.
  • Your market is relatively easy to reach via ad/marketing initiatives.
    Ease of reaching potential buyers is a definite strength, although such ease usually means it's more expensive to do so.
WEAKNESSES
  • Terrible entry barriers!
    The resources needed to launch this business (time, skill, money) is terribly low. So low, that any bum camping behind Yang's Chinese Restaurant could start this business.

Weak entry barriers means high competition with big advertising costs, zero to thin margins, and a limited skew opportunity-- the ability for you to differentiate your offer. While starting a business easily with no money can be appealing in the short-term, such businesses rarely have longevity. Partaking in this business will likely end up as a commodity grind where differentiation and getting above the noise will be difficult, if not impossible.
OTHER METRICS
  • None specified.
CONCLUSION
Your idea has been rated as INVALID due to conflicting and contradicting data which you entered. If you entered LOW entry barriers (this business is easy to get into!) it's more than likely that you don't have substantial control in your business as that control is retained by a third-party. For example: If your business is joining a network marketing company, the ease of entry (Question 2) into that business is extremely easy (ZERO) while your business is dependent on a third-party (Question 3). This data contradicts which means you probably aren't being honest in your scoring. As ease of entry increases in any venture, control moves lower.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.