The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Progress] Helping 100 People Land New Jobs

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

arobinson04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 7, 2013
I'm running a new business in the job hunting niche...

Luckily, I connected with @Andy Black shortly after buying the domain name, and he asked me a super insightful question. You can hear that whole story here:

So now, I've set a goal (a pretty audacious one at that) to help 100 people land a job by March 1st, 2019.

Let me quickly recap what's happened thus far:

June 2018:
I bought my domain and posted 3 blog posts.

I spent $48.35 on FB ads, driving 34 visitors to those blog posts.

Email List: 1
Revenue: $0

July 2018:
I don't post anything new to the blog, but I go a bit heavier on the FB ads.

I spent $478.75 on FB ads, driving 977 visitors to those blog posts.

I also start using Quora as a platform to help people and answer questions. My first answer gets 53 "upvotes" and 1 share. I answer a total of 18 questions for month.

Email List: 74

August 2018:
I spent $150.35 on FB ads, driving 150 visitors to those blog posts, and resulting in 13 new email subscribers.

I answer 12 questions on Quora, and before the month is over, I'm the top writer in pretty much every category directly related to my niche.

I added a survey on squeeze page to capture some more info from my subscribers. And I start offering a free, 30 minute coaching session.

I also write a small, 15 page ebook based on the problems/struggles mentioned in the survey, and start selling it as a $9.99 trip wire. I sell 3 of these in august.

I also land my first coaching client, who pays me $400 for weekly coaching.

Email List: 326
Revenue: $419

September 2018:
I've written 3 answers on Quora so far. Still the top writer in my categories.

I increased the price of my tripwire from $9.99, to $19.99. I've sold 6 so far this month.

I've continued to do the free 30 minute coaching sessions, but I haven't landed any more customers. I started quoting a price of $499 as opposed to the $399, not sure if that's the barrier. I've done 4 free sessions so far.

I also started experimenting with Quora ads.

I tested one driving directly to a squeeze page (and my autoresponder has a 6 day content only series, followed by a series focused on selling my $19.99 tripwire. There's also an offer for the tripwire immediately after opting in).

I spent $100, and only got 6 email subscribers. Which sucks, because the squeeze page was converting at 27% with the free traffic from Quora.

I also spent $86 sending traffic to a blog post (I've posted two so far this month), and that resulted in 1 new email subscriber.

Email List: 483
Revenue: $150

What's Next
I'm committing right now, to keep this thread updated, because I need a place to document my thoughts, experiments, failures, and progress.

I started a blog back in 2012 that gained a little bit of traction before I let it fizzle out. I don't want this one to go the same way.

You can wish me luck, but I prefer actionable feedback!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm running a new business in the job hunting niche...

Luckily, I connected with @Andy Black shortly after buying the domain name, and he asked me a super insightful question. You can hear that whole story here:

So now, I've set a goal (a pretty audacious one at that) to help 100 people land a job by March 1st, 2019.

Let me quickly recap what's happened thus far:

June 2018:
I bought my domain and posted 3 blog posts.

I spent $48.35 on FB ads, driving 34 visitors to those blog posts.

Email List: 1

July 2018:
I don't post anything new to the blog, but I go a bit heavier on the FB ads.

I spent $478.75 on FB ads, driving 977 visitors to those blog posts.

I also start using Quora as a platform to help people and answer questions. My first answer gets 53 "upvotes" and 1 share. I answer a total of 18 questions for month.

Email List: 74

August 2018:
I spent $150.35 on FB ads, driving 150 visitors to those blog posts, and resulting in 13 new email subscribers.

I answer 12 questions on Quora, and before the month is over, I'm the top writer in pretty much every category directly related to my niche.

I added a survey on squeeze page to capture some more info from my subscribers. And I start offering a free, 30 minute coaching session.

I also write a small, 15 page ebook based on the problems/struggles mentioned in the survey, and start selling it as a $9.99 trip wire. I sell 3 of these in august.

I also land my first coaching client, who pays me $400 for weekly coaching.

Email List: 326
Revenue: $419

September 2018:
I've written 3 answers on Quora so far. Still the top writer in my categories.

I increased the price of my tripwire from $9.99, to $19.99. I've sold 6 so far this month.

I've continued to do the free 30 minute coaching sessions, but I haven't landed any more customers. I started quoting a price of $499 as opposed to the $399, not sure if that's the barrier. I've done 4 free sessions so far.

I also started experimenting with Quora ads.

I tested one driving directly to a squeeze page (and my autoresponder has a 6 day content only series, followed by a series focused on selling my $19.99 tripwire. There's also an offer for the tripwire immediately after opting in).

I spent $100, and only got 6 email subscribers. Which sucks, because the squeeze page was converting at 27% with the free traffic from Quora.

I also spent $86 sending traffic to a blog post (I've posted two so far this month), and that resulted in 1 new email subscriber.

Email List: 483
Revenue: $150

What's Next
I'm committing right now, to keep this thread updated, because I need a place to document my thoughts, experiments, failures, and progress.

I started a blog back in 2012 that gained a little bit of traction before I let it fizzle out. I don't want this one to go the same way.

You can wish me luck, but I prefer actionable feedback!
Subscribed!

What can you do to get MRR from those not prepared to pay for coaching? (Did I read that right at $400/week coaching?)

Have you thought of creating a low priced paid email newsletter?

arobinson04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 7, 2013
Tuesday September 11th, 2018
11:57PM

I had a coaching call tonight with the client who initially paid me the $400.

We've had three sessions now, and they've all been pretty solid.

She had a phone interview last week, and she got an email yesterday asking her to come in for an in-person interview later this week.

She's been out of a job for 11 months.

So needless to say, I'm pretty excited about the progress. Even if she doesn't land the job, I can see how much her confidence has grown, even in the short few sessions we've worked together.

We also revamped her LinkedIn profile and went through several mock interviews to help with her delivery. We also dedicated half of today's session, just to crafting the perfect questions for her to ask the interviewer at the end of the interview.

She's still my only coaching client, but I'm feeling pretty good that she could be the first to land a job with my help as well.

I'll update this as I have more info!

-----

On the business side. I'm trying to find a way to really systematize my lead generation. It's great getting free leads through Quora, but I'd prefer to have a really solid, predictable funnel in place.

The odd part too, is that I thought more people would be signing up for the free 30 minute coaching.

Here's how the flow is currently:
  1. Opt-in for the lead magnet (shown the offer for a $19.99 tripwire after opting in).
  2. Enter an email series that contains 5 content only emails (trying to build the Know, Like, Trust factor. I noticed most people that bought my $19.99 were existing subscribers that went through the auto-responder, as opposed to brand new subscribers that purchase right after opting in).
  3. Enter an email series that contains 3 emails encouraging you to buy the $19.99 tripwire
  4. Enter an email series that contains 4 emails sharing valuable content + encouraging you to so sign up for a free 30 minute coaching session.
Still trying to figure out my next step.

I have the survey data from list, so I can potentially create a few different landing pages that subscribers will see depending on their survey answers. And each landing page would speak directly to the issue that each "bucket" is dealing with...

arobinson04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 7, 2013
(Did I read that right at $400/week coaching?)

Thanks Andy!

It's actually $400 per month. That's for 2 sessions per week.

And yes, I agree. I need something in between the $19.99 tripwire, and the $399 coaching.

I'm thinking of possibly trying to "productize my service".

For example, my coaching package encompasses everything I have to offer. But maybe I can piece out parts of the coaching package at a lower price?

I haven't really thought about a newsletter, but I have thought about a paid FB group...

Let me elaborate.

The group would have access to me, where I basically critique the person's resume, LinkedIn profile, answers to Mock Interview questions, etc...

The value in my service, is the feedback. So I'm just trying to think, how can I scale the feedback?

Or am I off base here?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks Andy!

It's actually $400 per month. That's for 2 sessions per week.

And yes, I agree. I need something in between the $19.99 tripwire, and the $399 coaching.

I'm thinking of possibly trying to "productize my service".

For example, my coaching package encompasses everything I have to offer. But maybe I can piece out parts of the coaching package at a lower price?

I haven't really thought about a newsletter, but I have thought about a paid FB group...

Let me elaborate.

The group would have access to me, where I basically critique the person's resume, LinkedIn profile, answers to Mock Interview questions, etc...

The value in my service, is the feedback. So I'm just trying to think, how can I scale the feedback?

Or am I off base here?
Test it? Facebook could be a great platform for job-seekers. Facebook groups can work very well.

My personal preference while learning from people is to engage with them one-to-one rather than in groups. I also have no desire to grow (or even try to grow) a Facebook group where I then have to manage it.

Eddie Temple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Aug 17, 2016
Hello sir,

Why don't you start a hiring agency?

I assume you have some experience in the field? So, if you were to start a recruitment agency, how would you go first about it?

Would you first collect CV's from potential applicants, or contact companies with large turnover in staff and get a contract with them?

Sorry if my question is slightly off topic

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.