The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Free piano coaching sessions] Raymas Progress Thread on helping and giving value to people

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Raymas

Raymus the Stingray
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jan 2, 2017
Singapore
Hey guys,

I can’t thank @MJ DeMarco enough for him for writing MillionaireFastlane and Unscripted . They changed my mindset completely. There are just not enough words to show the appreciation for what he did for the community.

One lesson I learned from MJ is giving value and helping people. Thinking about earning lots of money is a fool’s deed. Money is only a byproduct of the value one gives.

A little about myself, I am 22 this year, have been a musician for the entire of my life. I went to a music conservatory with a full scholarship and performed with orchestras as a soloist. However due to a medical condition that affected my right hand last year, my performance journey was brought to a halt.

Looking back, the journey wasn't all sunshine, there were times that it has been frustrating. Especially when you are young and impatient, you want to achieve this and that, It can be real frustrating. What I learned from 17 years of playing piano is being patient, having the right mindset and hard work. It definitely can be applied to being an entrepreneur as well.

It was only last year that I Discovered MillionaireFastlane after my friend introduced it to me. After that, I have been reading a lot of business books, learning different aspect of business. The music industry is where I want to impact and provide value.

However, I was stuck on generating ideas and many ideas weren’t that great also. It was only recently after FREE Skype Call Mentoring with @458 and reading @Andy Black post on Clarity of Purpose, that it strucked me hard. I’ve been chasing the wrong thing. Why not help people in the area that you are good in and see what are the common issues faced?

So here is what I decided to do. I am offering piano coaching session for anyone on this forum for FREE.

If you have any piano related problem such as coordination of both hands, sight reading, tension in arms, learning new songs faster or anything that you are facing. Feel free to shoot me a PM and we can schedule a skype session. You can ask me any question here as well, will do my best to answer each and every question.

I’ve included a recording of my playing and a video on how to release tension in your arms while playing piano.

Recording of my playing:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KT-2L7aSOA

How to____ videos:

release tension - View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PRFUn7j0ons
play a C major scale -View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eNTlnnJQwg
play octave tremolo with ease -View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjms_zyVl0w&

Let me know if it helped you or if you have any video requests!

Raymas

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Fantastic performance .

Wish they had one for saxophone haha i always wanted to learn to play the sax. I used to play the drums... but apartments frown upon drum kits lolll

Welcome to the forum and keep on keeping on!

Raymas

Raymus the Stingray
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jan 2, 2017
Singapore
Fantastic performance .

Wish they had one for saxophone haha i always wanted to learn to play the sax. I used to play the drums... but apartments frown upon drum kits lolll

Welcome to the forum and keep on keeping on!

Yea, in general music instrument are frowned upon in apartments. There was one time my neighbor complained because I was practicing in the night lol.

Its never late to learn anything. I picked up latin dance last year and never regretted. I can connect you with my friend who is a great Saxophonist if you are interested. He can offer you free lesson as well.

You can view his performance at:View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fClMGSmjAcg

Last edited:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
What would you like to know about the sax? I played from 5th grade on up. I started on the tenor and then my mom bought me an alto. Then my music teacher wanted me to play the bari sax. So I mainly played the bari sax from then on. I played in about every setting. Marched (heavy to lug around for a 7th grader), concert band, jazz band, contests. In concerts my teacher would have me bring both the alto and bari. Depending on the song and sometimes I'd switch off in the middle. My wife's family actually makes their living from being musicians.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
My musical career consisted of the Cello in the 1st grade. It was bigger than I was.

Oh and *trying to* sing in the car/shower. Sometimes the glass breaks though :happy:

Anyway, your a beast @Raymas

Raymas

Raymus the Stingray
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jan 2, 2017
Singapore
My musical career consisted of the Cello in the 1st grade. It was bigger than I was.

Oh and *trying to* sing in the car/shower. Sometimes the glass breaks though :happy:

Anyway, your a beast @Raymas

Definitely a big and intimate instrument ;)

Also, putting up an ad today at the local ad board to get some piano students for side income while funding the Fastlane.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Tension is what has put a ceiling on my piano ability.

I can barely make it through the undulating octave sections of beethovens pathetique before my left hand/wrist seizes up and slows down.

I have tension on any chords spanning more than an octave. It also rears it’s ugly head on fast 16th passages.

I play for fun most days, usually Ben folds or Disney songs for my kids. But I’d love to get back to the classics and tackle some more Rachmaninov.

I’m going to try the drop exercise from your video. What’s the next step though, how do you keep that going when you get to the music?

One thing I did learn recently is that when I sit back further from the piano, the tension is less. I’m a tall guy, and I think for most of my life I’ve played with horrible posture and with a bench to close to the piano. Trying to fix these things as well

Raymas

Raymus the Stingray
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jan 2, 2017
Singapore
Tension is what has put a ceiling on my piano ability.

I can barely make it through the undulating octave sections of beethovens pathetique before my left hand/wrist seizes up and slows down.

I have tension on any chords spanning more than an octave. It also rears it’s ugly head on fast 16th passages.

I play for fun most days, usually Ben folds or Disney songs for my kids. But I’d love to get back to the classics and tackle some more Rachmaninov.

I’m going to try the drop exercise from your video. What’s the next step though, how do you keep that going when you get to the music?

One thing I did learn recently is that when I sit back further from the piano, the tension is less. I’m a tall guy, and I think for most of my life I’ve played with horrible posture and with a bench to close to the piano. Trying to fix these things as well

What a coincidence, I played Beethoven's pathetique 2 years back! The undulating octave sections can be tiring if the technique isn't right or there is tension in the arm. Check out this video:View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjms_zyVl0w&

It covers the main techniques: doorknob exercise and using arm weight. Also make sure you transfer the weight when you rotate.

Regarding your posture. The reason why you feel less tension when you sit back is because the neck muscle is not strained. So what does neck muscle has to do with tension? The muscles in your arms are connected to your neck muscle. When your neck muscle is tensed, your arm will tense up as well.

Sitting at your desk, lets do this quick exercise:

1. I want you to slouch, head forward, sit close to the desk and hold the position there for 15 seconds.
2. After that, while still in that position, try moving your fingers

Yes, do you feel how much tension there is?

Hope these help. Also if you could give me an example of the chords bigger than octave and 16th running passages? If you have any question regarding anything above or need more explanation, feel free to ask or we can schedule a skype call.

Who doesn't love the rich harmony and lyrical theme of Rachmaninov music. Add some vodka while listening is heaven :) You can definitely go back to playing classics and Rachmaninov. We can pick one Rach music thats suitable for you and I'll guide you along.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.