The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lost

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
Hello,

I discovered this book and forum around a year ago when I was first beginning college. I fell in love with everything about the book because everything within it resonated to me. Well it's been a year and I'm still no better off than I was last year. Worse off probably. I no longer have a girlfriend and no longer workout like I did 2 years ago. I just got off of work, stopped by starbucks, and am now sitting in the library waiting for the current president of the Finance Club at my university to come discuss some ideas with me about how we can better market the club and basically build and grow it because it is basically nothing right now and I have some ideas about how it can be better marketed...etc. Anyways, I'm studying finance, not for any particular reason other than I'm great at math..and accounting too it seems, even though I hate it, and that it seems to be lucrative-ish. I'm here at the library to study for 2 gen ed exams tomorrow, which I absolutely despise, and honestly, the only reason I'm in college is because I'm getting paid ~5k/semester to attend...otherwise I don't know where I'd be. So, I'm not complaining. I realize that I'm very fortunate and I AM EXTREMELY happy and grateful for what I have and all of the opportunities I've been given, but I still want to build my own business. Leave my own legacy. Be able to give out my own scholarships to young men who are like I once was.

Anyways...

I don't know what to do? I don't have any ideas that I want to execute upon. I don't have any particularly great skills that I'm aware of that would be useful to a startup. I want this. I would rather work for myself and make 30k/y than be employed for 200k/y, but I am just lost.

Yet...I'm going to a local "entrepreneur mastermind" meetup tomorrow in a neighboring city. I know I can't contribute, but I still want to go, and am openly welcomed, so I will just show up, smile, and take in all I can. It sort of feels like stealing, but I want to move toward something.

Should I just sub to the INSIDERS? I am usually so busy with school, work, and commuting that I don't even browse this forum as much as I should.

I love menswear and style. And quality men's shoes. Hopefully that will help me succeed in the new job I just started in sales, but...that's the slowlane. That's my reality, though, for now.

Thank you for reading. Any criticism/recommendations/advice, however harsh, is greatly encouraged and appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser450

I counted about 50 of those "I"s.

It's common to look inside and find nothing because there's nothing inherently there in any of us, even you, special snowflake. Who we are comes from producing out in the world.

Go help someone else. Go solve someone else's problem. Preferably a business' problem. Preferably a boring one. Like finance or accounting...

It's literally right in front of you.

Or... Haberdash.io is available. I guarantee there's capital out there for a super high-end secret deals site aimed at trust fund baristas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee

It's common to look inside and find nothing because there's nothing inherently there in any of us, even you, special snowflake. Who we are comes from producing out in the world.

Go help someone else. Go solve someone else's problem. Preferably a business' problem. Preferably a boring one. Like finance or accounting...

What problems could I solve for say, a bank or small tax firm? Sure, I'd love to help them, but I don't know what problems they have.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Read the first quote in my signature. Read all three actually.

Then read the first two bolded links in my signature, and then maybe listen to the two bolded radio interviews in my signature.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
What problems could I solve for say, a bank or small tax firm? Sure, I'd love to help them, but I don't know what problems they have.

You could solve the problem of those damn chips in the credit/debit cards. Hate those those chip readers and the whole freakin process.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Well I see alot of things...

1) I no longer have a girlfriend and no longer workout like I did 2 years ago.

2) now sitting in the library waiting for the current president of the Finance Club at my university to come discuss some ideas with me about how we can better market the club and basically build and grow it because it is basically nothing right now and I have some ideas about how it can be better marketed...etc.

3) Anyways, I'm studying finance, not for any particular reason other than I'm great at math..and accounting too it seems, even though I hate it, and that it seems to be lucrative-ish.

4) Yet...I'm going to a local "entrepreneur mastermind" meetup tomorrow in a neighboring city. I know I can't contribute, but I still want to go, and am openly welcomed, so I will just show up, smile, and take in all I can. It sort of feels like stealing, but I want to move toward something.

5) Should I just sub to the INSIDERS? I am usually so busy with school, work, and commuting that I don't even browse this forum as much as I should.

6) I love menswear and style. And quality men's shoes.

1) Why don't you workout anymore?

2) You don't see that this is an opportunity to learn some skills? You have ideas? Why don't you try them out?

3) You will probably use this later in life when you are doing your books. So I'd be a little more interested.

4) Just sit and listen

5) Yes, but why aren't you browsing this forum? I don't buy the no time, answer.

6) You could get a job at a shoe department of a nice store. You would be helping people choose the correct shoes. You'd learn about sales, what styles sell well, probably something about inventory, etc...

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The "precious snowflake" line isn't particularly helpful to people who are precious snowflakes.

I'll phrase it another way: In college, its so common its cliche to feel like you have to 'change the world' and 'do something that lights you on fire.' This kind of thing is encouraged by people like Steve Jobs, who did change the world by doing something he was passionate about. The vast majority of even people here on this forum aren't Steve Jobs. We've found our way by stumbling around until we came across something that worked. Once we found that 'thing,' we became passionate about it as we pursued it. But, for most, that was only after much trial and error slogging through boring and tedious grunt work.

So...pick a direction and go forth. Start with accounting. Find something about it that is interesting. (I'm pretty good with numbers myself. What gets me excited about them is that they tell a story of human passion and ingenuity. Make them tell that story, and they'll come alive for you.)

The difference between most people and entrepreneurs? During the process of slogging away, we stay aware of and take advantage of the hidden opportunity that's right in front of our noses. These opportunities will stay hidden, though, if you aren't pressing forward with something.

Another note about Steve Jobs: He started the grunt work/entrepreneurial process when he was very young, so by the time he founded Apple, he'd already become quite aware of his passions.

G

GuestUser450

Research.

One example:

Find the business owner or the primary business manager on LinkedIn. Send them an inmail. Tell them you're a university student doing research and that you'd happily pay their hourly rate for a few quick questions. 1 out of a dozen will ask for money, everyone else will happily help for free.

What are the most annoying recurring tasks in their work? Do they do it themselves? Do they hire someone to do it? Do they feel like they're getting their money's worth by hiring someone to do it? If they could wave a wand and never have to do those tasks again, how much would that magic wand be worth to them?

Reddit. Reddit is terrible for finding objectivity but a goldmine of bitching and complaints. Find the sub for business accounting/finance and dig for pain, you'll find it.

Look for big platforms and the companies that use them. They almost always suck at something.

For example: Salesforce is gigantic and getting bigger. With growth comes bloat and complexity - which leads to opportunities to serve the millions of small businesses that don't need the big solution, just one that kills their pain.

Or maybe you think everyone will eventually use Salesforce, so you work on a solution that bridges the big company with smaller platforms and ecosystems like Shopify, etc.

Or maybe you see the popularity but also the confusion/pain associated with it and consult.

Etc.

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
Well I see alot of things...

1) Why don't you workout anymore?

2) You don't see that this is an opportunity to learn some skills? You have ideas? Why don't you try them out?

3) You will probably use this later in life when you are doing your books. So I'd be a little more interested.

4) Just sit and listen

5) Yes, but why aren't you browsing this forum? I don't buy the no time, answer.

6) You could get a job at a shoe department of a nice store. You would be helping people choose the correct shoes. You'd learn about sales, what styles sell well, probably something about inventory, etc...
1. I live 30 minutes away from school and work and showering/timing is just bad right now
2. Oh, I definitely do. I actually texted the wrong member and just now fixed her contact. May have found a new living opportunity though! Lol
3. I'm not slacking in it or anything. I just don't particularly enjoy it. My GPA is 3.714 and 4.0 in all my business classes. Gen Eds pulling me down.
4. Planning on it.
5. I'm going to be honest and admit that I spend a lot of time on styleforum.
6. I am working in Belk Mens department! :)

Thank you for your response. I am currently reading all others!

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
Go on Craig's List and look for people needing help with accounting/finance issues. Don't look at the Jobs category, look at Gigs.

Or... Haberdash.io is available. I guarantee there's capital out there for a super high-end secret deals site aimed at trust fund baristas.
There are literally no gigs near me for "finance" or "accounting" I searched.

I like the haberdash.io domain. I could use that for my blog/wordpress website that I made just for fun.

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
Research.

One example:

Find the business owner or the primary business manager on LinkedIn. Send them an inmail. Tell them you're a university student doing research and that you'd happily pay their hourly rate for a few quick questions. 1 out of a dozen will ask for money, everyone else will happily help for free.

What are the most annoying recurring tasks in their work? Do they do it themselves? Do they hire someone to do it? Do they feel like they're getting their money's worth by hiring someone to do it? If they could wave a wand and never have to do those tasks again, how much would that magic wand be worth to them?

Reddit. Reddit is terrible for finding objectivity but a goldmine of bitching and complaints. Find the sub for business accounting/finance and dig for pain, you'll find it.

Look for big platforms and the companies that use them. They almost always suck at something.

For example: Salesforce is gigantic and getting bigger. With growth comes bloat and complexity - which leads to opportunities to serve the millions of small businesses that don't need the big solution, just one that kills their pain.

Or maybe you think everyone will eventually use Salesforce, so you work on a solution that bridges the big company with smaller platforms and ecosystems like Shopify, etc.

Or maybe you see the popularity but also the confusion/pain associated with it and consult.

Etc.

This is a great idea. Thank you. Seems like you guys are more focused on me studying finance and accounting, which I actually have less experience or would be able to help less with than I would with what I know about clothing,shoes, and men's style in general. Any particular reason?

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
There are literally no gigs near me for "finance" or "accounting" I searched.

I like the haberdash.io domain. I could use that for my blog/wordpress website that I made just for fun.
I've made $6000 in the last two weeks on CL searching nationwide. Some people care that you're local. Some don't.

G

GuestUser450

Any particular reason?
Only that it seemed the most direct link between understanding a problem and creating and selling the solution. All things being equal, I go after b2b. People tend to want free, businesses want solutions - and they have money.

Fashion is a notable exception.

No one knows you as well as you, so if it's clothing - rock on.

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
I've made $6000 in the last two weeks on CL searching nationwide. Some people care that you're local. Some don't.

I didn't even think of it like that. Now I just want to slap myself.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I didn't even think of it like that. Now I just want to slap myself.
this is the 'think like an entrepreneur' thing I was talking about in my post above. Opportunity is literally right under your nose. ... there's stuff right under mine that I'm completely glossing over, too...

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
this is the 'think like an entrepreneur' thing I was talking about in my post above. Opportunity is literally right under your nose. ... there's stuff right under mine that I'm completely glossing over, too...

Right, but I would have never thought of it like that until you enlightened me

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Find a problem.

Create a solution.

Profit.

Like in Andy's signature, help someone. Provide someone value. Maybe even flop around a little bit if you have to.

If I were you, I'd start with the President of the Finance Club. Help him market that Finance club, increase membership, see where it takes you. But help him and provide value to him and I bet money will eventually follow.

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
Find a problem.

Create a solution.

Profit.

Like in Andy's signature, help someone. Provide someone value. Maybe even flop around a little bit if you have to.

If I were you, I'd start with the President of the Finance Club. Help him market that Finance club, increase membership, see where it takes you. But help him and provide value to him and I bet money will eventually follow.

Yeah, I'm definitely not expecting any money from helping her grow the club, but it just kind of seems like she has given up on it since she is graduating in a semester. I have 5 left and would like to be involved in 1 thing that is decent on campus.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Don't even worry about the long-term goal, making money from it, what she's going to do with it, etc. Just help her grow the membership, get it booming, see where it goes.

Also, you love menswear and fashion and you want to help people. Are there problems men have with fashion? What if you started some kind of "fashion consulting" in your area, guys pay $XX and you sit em in a classroom type environment and teach em how to look good?

hawaiiloans

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Oct 6, 2007
Las Vegas
Also, you love menswear and fashion and you want to help people. Are there problems men have with fashion? What if you started some kind of "fashion consulting" in your area, guys pay $XX and you sit em in a classroom type environment and teach em how to look good?

I'm a slob and a horrible dresser. I would pay for this.

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
Don't even worry about the long-term goal, making money from it, what she's going to do with it, etc. Just help her grow the membership, get it booming, see where it goes.

I'm a slob and a horrible dresser. I would pay for this.

It's certainly a great idea and people have always recommended it, however, I'm just not sure theres a market for it where I live with a population of 10,000 in my town in northeast TN. People consider me dressed up when I leave the house in well fitting jeans and a casual button down.

I also have become de-sensitized to spending a lot of money on clothing and especially shoes versus what people think is acceptable for one article. What I do personally is just shop at the clothing/footwear companies that seem to offer the best quality for a given price.

Having my own retail shop like Leffot or Epaulet would be awesome, but...they are both in high populous areas and B&M

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
1. I live 30 minutes away from school and work and showering/timing is just bad right now
2. Oh, I definitely do. I actually texted the wrong member and just now fixed her contact. May have found a new living opportunity though! Lol
3. I'm not slacking in it or anything. I just don't particularly enjoy it. My GPA is 3.714 and 4.0 in all my business classes. Gen Eds pulling me down.
4. Planning on it.
5. I'm going to be honest and admit that I spend a lot of time on styleforum.
6. I am working in Belk Mens department! :)

Thank you for your response. I am currently reading all others!
1. It's a piece of shit excuse. You can workout after work, at home. And yes, you can build a better physique than 95% of people at gym, at home.
3. Find something enjoyable about it.
For example, I hated math until I needed to use it in a world editor for some game I was passionate about. Then I explored a world of large numbers. Then I became interested in applying principles that rely on math to real world. Then to businesses in particular.
The most boring work gets enjoyable once you connect it to your passion.
5. That's because you have no girlfriend? Just asking.

Good luck and dont' worry about feeling lost. A week later you'll have things sorted much better. Within 1 month you'll have a plan. Within 2 you'll enjoy first small success.
There is literally half of a forum already helping you, best people from TFLF gave you a lot of advice. Execute on it.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
The biggest thing for you, being honest here, is you need to go from "This is why I can't" to "This is how I will."

"I'm not working out, this is why I can't" needs to be "I need to work out, this is how I will."

"I don't have a business yet, this is why I can't" needs to be "I need to solve problems and help people, this is how I will."

"I don't know if that business will work, this is why it can't." needs to be "I don't know if that business will work, but this is how I will find out."

Remember, if it's important to you, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse.

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
The biggest thing for you, being honest here, is you need to go from "This is why I can't" to "This is how I will."

"I'm not working out, this is why I can't" needs to be "I need to work out, this is how I will."

"I don't have a business yet, this is why I can't" needs to be "I need to solve problems and help people, this is how I will."

"I don't know if that business will work, this is why it can't." needs to be "I don't know if that business will work, but this is how I will find out."

Remember, if it's important to you, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse.

You're absolutely right. I want to do something like Gustin is doing, but aimed at a different segment within menswear. I need to figure out pretty much everything about how they do what they do and just find suppliers and manufacturers for what I would produce. First, I have to read and watch @Andy Black 's signature.

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
5. That's because you have no girlfriend? Just asking.

Good luck and dont' worry about feeling lost. A week later you'll have things sorted much better. Within 1 month you'll have a plan. Within 2 you'll enjoy first small success.
There is literally half of a forum already helping you, best people from TFLF gave you a lot of advice. Execute on it.

Thank you for your reply! #5 actually has nothing to do with the presence of a significant other. It started in highschool when I was overweight and didn't know anything about style. Some girl made fun of the shoes I chose to wore with my ill sized khakis that day. It led to me wanting to buy nicer clothing...and eventually a friend told me about /r/MFA and I just kept digging a hole from there. Needless to say I graduated with the "best-dressed" superlative. Showed her! Haha

I plan on reading and watching Andy Blacks signature when I get home from shipping some stuff that sold on eBay and class.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.