The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

germandude's Guide to Naming Your Brand!

germandude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 4, 2016
Europe
note: originally published here on the forum. You don't have to go anywhere, pay anyone or subscribe to anything to see this!

Hello fellow fastlaners. I mentioned that I do copy and naming in another thread and since it got some interest sparked, I decided to finally write it. When making explanatory posts like these, I often use examples to get to the point. There are plenty of great names out there without breaking the rules and if you end up not being able to find a name, you can always hire professionals to do it.
"Brand" here refers to your product, website, service or company name.

1. Why is it important to have a good name for your brand?

Let's clear that up first.
You need to have a good name because you must present your brand clearly, distinguish yourself from competitors and grab people's attention. If you are a startup, you need to gain traction in order to get customers and rise to the later levels of the investment process. You will not get there if people cannot remember your name.
As an example familiar to most of us, if you have a generic book name, like "Get Rich and Become a Millionaire", chances are you will not be given importance and attention enough for success neither by people nor the search engines. If you named your book something like "The Millionaire Fastlane ", you will get a unique, clear, exciting and easy-to-remember name. Turns out, people do judge a book by its cover.
The name could be literally the ONLY thing that will ultimately decide whether your brand is a success. In the world full of products and brands requiring people's attention hundreds of times in the day, having a bad name will just put you in people's "ignore" list.

2. What your brand should NOT be called?

Okay, so now that we have covered why is it important to have a great brand name, let's go ahead and go through a few examples of name categories you should NOT have:
  • Already used names.
    You will get outclassed on the search engines, in customer's minds, the business battlefield and in court (copyright law). It affects brand recognition and brand recall.
  • Names that don't pass the telephone test.
    If your brand's name cannot be clearly understood when you tell it to someone when you are on the phone with them, then it fails this. Jeff Bezos got to the name Amazon when he changed it from Cadabra.
  • Names that are plain bad.
    You HAVE to get a bit creative if you want to have a good brand name. You don't want your name to be long winded (Minnesota Manufacturing and Mining, who thankfully later became 3M)( note 2: if there is something you want to say, use your slogan/tagline for that), boring (Soapy), scrambled (K-Mart), misspelled (TracR) or ones that would make a bad domain name (the famous Pen Island domain).

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that’s creativity. - Charles Mingus

3. Which criteria should your brand's name follow?

Let's go and follow the road to the right name!
This is important, so pay attention. The formula to a memorable name is NOVELTY, ATTENTION, CORRELATION and EMOTIONAL IMPACT. Timing is also important, but as you often cannot control this, you should use the 80/20 rule and focus on the first four.
This is it! There might be a few things I will mention that are somewhat related, but this is it. If you get anything out of this thread, THIS IS IT! The quality of your name depends on these 5 factors, and the better they are, so is your name.

Let me explain these 5 briefly:

NOVELTY - if your name is novel, new and fresh, it will spike people's attention because it is in our nature to pay attention to things that are new. Novel names make us curious and curiosity creates action. Action equals attention and that is what you are looking for.

ATTENTION - as we already saw, novelty provides a certain path to attention. However, to further make you name memorable you have to have a certain WOW factor, something that will grab their thought process and vacuum in their attention. Another aspect of the attention factor is repeatability. People remember things that they see multiple times and this is why ad re-targeting is so popular!

CORRELATION -
If your name is related to something familiar to its reader, it is a basic memory principle that they will remember it more easily. You would certainly rather remember Virgin Airlines if you know that Virgin Music exists than you would remember Optolic Airsoft Guns. A second correlation comes to mind when the name you have relates to the things the brand does. For example, Mechanical Turk associates people to menial jobs board and OkCupid simply relates to Cupid, the god of love.

EMOTIONAL IMPACT - The last important aspect of a successful name is the fact that the name evokes something in the person reading/listening it. When you read "The Millionaire Fastlane " it evokes powerful emotions such as envy, adventure, lust, bravery and a myriad of others. Do you remember the time you broke up with your first girlfriend/bf? Do you remember what you did a week ago?

How do you know if your name is good enough? By using a quanitifable method of to check whether you have a goodly name! If your name has more than 30 points in total on the Hasic Name Quality Scale, then you should probably go ahead and use it. The Scale consists of four ratings consisting of a 1-10 grade of name quality. It is shown below and you can print it to rate the name you came up with. I named it by my last name, but you can call it whababozo for all I care. You can download the printable version HERE.

hasicnamequalityscalezksvm.png

I promised examples for companies that possess these qualities, so here you go:
- Google gets 10-8-3-9 (invented, so it does not relate to anything much, but it is extremely novel, huge attention grabber and has somewhat of an emotional impact)
- Band of Outsiders gets 8-8-7-9 (comes together to nicely grab the 4 most important factors)
- Jonnie Walker 8-8-6-8 (the man, the legend. Named after the legend of Jonnie Walker, it is an attention grabbing, highly memorable name)
- Entspresso 8-8-9-8 (one of those names that performs well when it comes to in contact with a certain target audience, in this case entrepreneurs. The name ranks well on the 4 factor list by appropriately addressing all)
- Airbus gets 8-7-9-8 (uses simple word combination to product a straightforward name impact)

That is a checklist of things you should know when you are deciding on a name for your brand. Never forget that your brand name should align with your target audience, so don't dumb it down if you have a smart audience. Don't appeal to the lowest common denominator!

Take your time, but don't procrastinate on doing the other important things you have to do. Go through all options, check for similar names in your industry and you are all ready to name your brand.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Lol...just like how Jack Ma got the name Ali Baba...he actually validated his idea by going out into the streets and asking people. And EVERYONE knows about Ali Baba. 'Open sesame' and riches in the cave....pretty much how his company operates.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Or the 4hr work week by Tim Feriss...who doesn't want to work 4 hours a week? :)

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Neither of the two brands you mentioned have below 30 points, I don't see an issue.
Look up at the interviews with the founders of the brands...that's some real stuff going on.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
note: originally published here on the forum. You don't have to go anywhere, pay anyone or subscribe to anything to see this!

Hello fellow fastlaners. I mentioned that I do copy and naming in another thread and since it got some interest sparked, I decided to finally write it. When making explanatory posts like these, I often use examples to get to the point. There are plenty of great names out there without breaking the rules and if you end up not being able to find a name, you can always hire professionals to do it.
"Brand" here refers to your product, website, service or company name.

1. Why is it important to have a good name for your brand?

Let's clear that up first.
You need to have a good name because you must present your brand clearly, distinguish yourself from competitors and grab people's attention. If you are a startup, you need to gain traction in order to get customers and rise to the later levels of the investment process. You will not get there if people cannot remember your name.
As an example familiar to most of us, if you have a generic book name, like "Get Rich and Become a Millionaire", chances are you will not be given importance and attention enough for success neither by people nor the search engines. If you named your book something like "The Millionaire Fastlane ", you will get a unique, clear, exciting and easy-to-remember name. Turns out, people do judge a book by its cover.
The name could be literally the ONLY thing that will ultimately decide whether your brand is a success. In the world full of products and brands requiring people's attention hundreds of times in the day, having a bad name will just put you in people's "ignore" list.

2. What your brand should NOT be called?

Okay, so now that we have covered why is it important to have a great brand name, let's go ahead and go through a few examples of name categories you should NOT have:
  • Already used names.
    You will get outclassed on the search engines, in customer's minds, the business battlefield and in court (copyright law). It affects brand recognition and brand recall.
  • Names that don't pass the telephone test.
    If your brand's name cannot be clearly understood when you tell it to someone when you are on the phone with them, then it fails this. Jeff Bezos got to the name Amazon when he changed it from Cadabra.
  • Names that are plain bad.
    You HAVE to get a bit creative if you want to have a good brand name. You don't want your name to be long winded (Minnesota Manufacturing and Mining, who thankfully later became 3M)( note 2: if there is something you want to say, use your slogan/tagline for that), boring (Soapy), scrambled (K-Mart), misspelled (TracR) or ones that would make a bad domain name (the famous Pen Island domain).
Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that’s creativity. - Charles Mingus

3. Which criteria should your brand's name follow?

Let's go and follow the road to the right name!
This is important, so pay attention. The formula to a memorable name is NOVELTY, ATTENTION, CORRELATION and EMOTIONAL IMPACT. Timing is also important, but as you often cannot control this, you should use the 80/20 rule and focus on the first four.
This is it! There might be a few things I will mention that are somewhat related, but this is it. If you get anything out of this thread, THIS IS IT! The quality of your name depends on these 5 factors, and the better they are, so is your name.

Let me explain these 5 briefly:

NOVELTY - if your name is novel, new and fresh, it will spike people's attention because it is in our nature to pay attention to things that are new. Novel names make us curious and curiosity creates action. Action equals attention and that is what you are looking for.

ATTENTION - as we already saw, novelty provides a certain path to attention. However, to further make you name memorable you have to have a certain WOW factor, something that will grab their thought process and vacuum in their attention. Another aspect of the attention factor is repeatability. People remember things that they see multiple times and this is why ad re-targeting is so popular!

CORRELATION -
If your name is related to something familiar to its reader, it is a basic memory principle that they will remember it more easily. You would certainly rather remember Virgin Airlines if you know that Virgin Music exists than you would remember Optolic Airsoft Guns. A second correlation comes to mind when the name you have relates to the things the brand does. For example, Mechanical Turk associates people to menial jobs board and OkCupid simply relates to Cupid, the god of love.

EMOTIONAL IMPACT - The last important aspect of a successful name is the fact that the name evokes something in the person reading/listening it. When you read "The Millionaire Fastlane " it evokes powerful emotions such as envy, adventure, lust, bravery and a myriad of others. Do you remember the time you broke up with your first girlfriend/bf? Do you remember what you did a week ago?

How do you know if your name is good enough? By using a quanitifable method of to check whether you have a goodly name! If your name has more than 30 points in total on the Hasic Name Quality Scale, then you should probably go ahead and use it. The Scale consists of four ratings consisting of a 1-10 grade of name quality. It is shown below and you can print it to rate the name you came up with. I named it by my last name, but you can call it whababozo for all I care. You can download the printable version HERE.

hasicnamequalityscalezksvm.png

I promised examples for companies that possess these qualities, so here you go:
- Google gets 10-8-3-9 (invented, so it does not relate to anything much, but it is extremely novel, huge attention grabber and has somewhat of an emotional impact)
- Band of Outsiders gets 8-8-7-9 (comes together to nicely grab the 4 most important factors)
- Jonnie Walker 8-8-6-8 (the man, the legend. Named after the legend of Jonnie Walker, it is an attention grabbing, highly memorable name)
- Entspresso 8-8-9-8 (one of those names that performs well when it comes to in contact with a certain target audience, in this case entrepreneurs. The name ranks well on the 4 factor list by appropriately addressing all)
- Airbus gets 8-7-9-8 (uses simple word combination to product a straightforward name impact)

That is a checklist of things you should know when you are deciding on a name for your brand. Never forget that your brand name should align with your target audience, so don't dumb it down if you have a smart audience. Don't appeal to the lowest common denominator!

Take your time, but don't procrastinate on doing the other important things you have to do. Go through all options, check for similar names in your industry and you are all ready to name your brand.
Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

I had some other tips about coming up with a brand name, mostly concerning how defendable it would be on the search engines. I'll try find them and add them to this thread (or rewrite them).

Here we go:

I prefer having a name that's "brandable" and that isn't "keyword rich".

e.g.

123.ie is one of the biggest insurance brands in Ireland. There's 27k searches per month according to the Google Keyword Planner for 123.ie. No-one can legitimately put 123.ie in their ad and hijack that "branded traffic".

In the UK, there is a insurance comparison site called "Compare the Market". Type that in though to find their site, and all the other competing ads have headlines such as "Compare The Market For Insurance". It's not a brand name they can protect...

And from this thread:

Don't have something niche specific. You can't "pivot".

Apple Computers renamed themselves Apple.

Apple doesn't make computers, they challenge the status quo etc.

Apple Cars anyone?

Similarly:​
    • Amazon
    • Google
    • Yahoo
    • Virgin

Where does Groupon go now that they aren't group coupons?

Also, pick a name that you can defend on Google.

If you're "GreatCarInsurance.com" and lots of people start searching for you in Google, then all the other car insurance brands can legitimately put "Great Car Insurance" in their ads, and your ad won't stand out. All your above the line advertising (TV, radio, print, etc) will just drive more people to search for your brand name, and your competitors will be waiting to hijack that traffic.

Best I've seen it done is here in Ireland.

There's an insurance company called 123.ie.

Their annoying little jingle on the radio and TV is:

1 2 3 dot i e ... just log on, and save mon-ey
(Google it, it's genius.)

What has 123.ie got to do with car or home insurance?

Nothing originally.

But now there's 14k searches a month for 123.ie, and they pick up those searches for peanuts, and probably at a 60%+ CTR. Competitors can't even get a look in on that search term.

There's 22k searches a month for [car insurance]. It's super competitive, expensive, and 123.ie sometimes don't even bother advertising on it.

What they've done is generate demand for a totally new search term (123.ie), and they are there on Google to fulfil the demand they've generated. No-one can put 123.ie into their ad and innocently pretend they aren't trying to "brand-jack".

So forget your exact-match-domain names for SEO ranking purposes, and pick something simple, memorable, currently meaningless (or encapsulates the virtues of your brand), and BRANDABLE.

Just my 2c

EDIT:

Somewhat related video (keep going to the end... it's a short vid, but a good way to view things): https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/the-online-buying-lifecycle-video.52809/

Fulfil demand before generating it.

And if there's no demand - still make sure you're there to fulfil it before you generate it.​

Last edited by a moderator:

germandude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 4, 2016
Europe

I had some other tips about coming up with a brand name, mostly concerning how defendable it would be on the search engines. I'll try find them and add them to this thread (or rewrite them).

Here we go:

And from this thread:

Apple Cars anyone?

• Amazon
    • Google
    • Yahoo
    • Virgin

If you're "GreatCarInsurance.com" and lots of people start searching for you in Google, then all the other car insurance brands can legitimately put "Great Car Insurance" in their ads, and your ad won't stand out. All your above the line advertising (TV, radio, print, etc) will just drive more people to search for your brand name, and your competitors will be waiting to hijack that traffic.

Nothing originally.

But now there's 14k searches a month for 123.ie, and they pick up those searches for peanuts, and probably at a 60%+ CTR. Competitors can't even get a look in on that search term.

There's 22k searches a month for [car insurance]. It's super competitive, expensive, and 123.ie sometimes don't even bother advertising on it.

What they've done is generate demand for a totally new search term (123.ie), and they are there on Google to fulfil the demand they've generated. No-one can put 123.ie into their ad and innocently pretend they aren't trying to "brand-jack".

So forget your exact-match-domain names for SEO ranking purposes, and pick something simple, memorable, currently meaningless (or encapsulates the virtues of your brand), and BRANDABLE.

Just my 2c

EDIT:

Somewhat related video (keep going to the end... it's a short vid, but a good way to view things): https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/the-online-buying-lifecycle-video.52809/

And if there's no demand - still make sure you're there to fulfil it before you generate it.​
Great in-depth view. Generic names (like GreatCarInsurance) are a cardinal sin when it comes to naming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Thanks for this thread. I've acknowledged that we'll have to rebrand in the future. Our name is very specific and is more of a description than a brand name. But right now with everything we've done (including making a commercial) were too deep to rebrand right now. But I'll definitely be revisiting this thread in the future.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Great Stuff!

A lot of people get stuck on the name before moving forward with the business because they can't come up with a "good" name and it can lead to a lot of action faking. Great guide to come up with a name fast and understand which ones meet the criteria and doesn't. Looking forward to more info coming out of this thread!

DaDream

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Apr 24, 2019
Miami Florida

Here we go:

And from this thread:

Apple Cars anyone?

• Amazon
    • Google
    • Yahoo
    • Virgin

Nothing originally.

Just my 2c

EDIT:

Somewhat related video (keep going to the end... it's a short vid, but a good way to view things): The Online Buying Lifecycle (video)

Awesome tips.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Lol...just like how Jack Ma got the name Ali Baba...he actually validated his idea by going out into the streets and asking people. And EVERYONE knows about Ali Baba. 'Open sesame' and riches in the cave....pretty much how his company operates.
You forgot about the rest of the book name: Alibaba and the Forty Thieves.

I suggest that the full name should really be used for that website.

Walter

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
@germandude has provided huge benefit in this thread.
So has @Andy Black.

Choosing a brand name is extremely important, and once you have made your choice, you should protect it by Trademarking it.

I favor the use of a name that appeals to the emotions of the target audience. That might have to be linked with a logo or slogan to complete the picture.

Possibly the best example is Apple. ????? Yes, because the image of the apple with a bite out of it, plays subconsciously on the emotions.

Most people are familiar with the bite being taken out of the fruit. So what emotions can that appeal to? Independence, rebellion, thinking outside the square, non-conformist.

Who doesn't like to see themselves as having at least one of those characteristics? The picture did it all, without a word being needed.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.