The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

34/m..running out of time.. intro and business idea. seeking feedback

Idea threads

pwilliams84

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Hi all,

I've lurked off and on for a couple of years. Was introduced to TMF by a friend 2 years ago and it made complete and total sense. It essentially ruined me as a traditional employee. I've kind of become a POS one to be honest. No extra effort, do enough to get by, certainly no late nights or weekends anymore. I just cannot justify doing it for someone else.

The challenge I have is that I'm the primary income for 15 more months until my wife finishes school. We have 3 kids. When I first read it she wasn't even in school yet. While I believe anything can be done, the logistics certainly make it challenging to get started.

I've spent many-a days and nights just brainstorming. I come up with a bunch of ideas that I really sell myself on, and then talk myself out of. Now, 2 years later I've really not accomplished anything and I'm still slowly dying at the job. I read Unscripted about 6 months ago, and it got me pissed off and brainstorming again, but not that FU moment apparently.

I've recently discovered the path that I think I want to go in. It's not exactly Fastlane on the surface, but if it all went how I envisioned it then I would be able to step away from the main operations and eventually sell it. I wanted to run the idea by this group and get some initial feedback.

The idea is by no means new or complex. Essentially, I'd like to help small businesses grow to levels that they probably can't even imagine reaching, through the use of effective marketing, operational efficiencies, and cost cutting.

Basically, I'd like to get the in with companies through offering digital marketing revamps - find local professionals (doctors offices, dentists, attorneys, CPAs, auto shops, hair salons, massage/chiro/PT, etc.) with a website and social presence that seems to be lacking. I'd offer a free overall evaluation and then a contract proposal. The proposal would offer a flat fee up front, and then a monthly fee to maintain advertising, etc.

Once results are realized I would potentially offer an expansion of services. The target client would be a professional that is very much caught up in their craft, and unlikely to know much about these areas and also too small to have someone in house handling it. This is somewhat of a marketing/consulting combo.

Right now I'm working on two projects for friends at my expense to use for case studies. My background and degree is in finance and I'm fully engulfed in learning sales/marketing strategies through various courses at night.

I know I'm not the first to consider this. I know that MJ in particular, as well as many on this forum despise the whole social media/digital/internet marketing/SEO gimmick stuff, but I'm not trying to be just another one of those guys, but rather provide a value to companies locally. As far as I'm concerned the sky is the limit for client reach as I can just go to the next town, and the next, and the next. Time constraints shouldn't be an issue once we get past the initial evaluations and revamps, then it would just be maintaining ad spending and mixing up ads and targeting.

If I get a client base so large that I can't handle the ongoing relationship management on my own then 1) I've got a really great problem, and 2) I can hire help. Similar to a financial advisor who one day retires, my exit plan would be to sell my book and collect a residual.

Be gentle.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015
Welcome P.W.

I understand and can relate. You aren't alone. Your experience is similar to mine. Just wanted to give you some encouragement.

I truely believe the actions are the easiest part. The mindset and beliefs are the hard part. Beliefs drive your actions.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
Welcome PW.

I am going to parrot what @NuclearPuma said:

We have the same experiance and were all in this together.

I for one have gone away from SMM and marketing in general. After the whole FB thing explosion, you never know what you can count on. Of course I've had my own set of challenges. Best advice: Dont rely on anyone or anything for your business. Commandment of CONTROL.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sounds like you're describing what @Fox does -- starting with web redevelopment.

There's definitely an opportunity there and it essentially is how I got started, minus the social media aspect.

Welcome to the forum.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
You'll never have more time than you do today.

Like you, I thought when 'X' happens (wife finishes school, move to a different town, kids go to school) I'd have more time. But much like your salary, there's always more demands on it.

I do hope you end-up with more time on your hands when your wife finishes school, but perhaps her work is evening more demanding than school.

My advice is to try and grind now, if you can. Make the time. Audit your day and see where you're giving away time to the TV, social media, whatever. Change the morning radio into Podcasts. Turn that Chipotle lunch-run into an hour of focused work time in the corner of Starbucks.

I find my time at 4:30AM, lunch hour, and right now (when my kids are in bed).

Best of luck!
-PM

pwilliams84

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Oct 30, 2017
Florida
You'll never have more time than you do today.

Like you, I thought when 'X' happens (wife finishes school, move to a different town, kids go to school) I'd have more time. But much like your salary, there's always more demands on it.

I do hope you end-up with more time on your hands when your wife finishes school, but perhaps her work is evening more demanding than school.

My advice is to try and grind now, if you can. Make the time. Audit your day and see where you're giving away time to the TV, social media, whatever. Change the morning radio into Podcasts. Turn that Chipotle lunch-run into an hour of focused work time in the corner of Starbucks.

I find my time at 4:30AM, lunch hour, and right now (when my kids are in bed).

Best of luck!
-PM

I hear you, and I appreciate the advice.
It's 1am and I'm grinding. Up in 4.5hrs. Working to get my case study ready to go into advertisement mode and hopefully find some validation while I continue to study this world.
Yesterday I logged into my dormant Audible.com account after getting the notice I was maxed out on credits and about to lose them. Picked up 4 new books all in the marketing/sales/business space. I have an hour commute each way, 5 days a week. Also, it's time to go through TMF again.

Look forward to checking back in with updates. Thanks for the support everyone.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Check out SinisterLex and Fox threads. They deal with copywriting and web development. They are in the gold thread sections.

You also need to work on your mindset. It seems like you don't have a strong enough "why" that would completely motivate you. It took you 2 years to finally do something, don't spend another 2 years asking why your still stuck in a job you hate.

Tips that I have learned so far:
- use the 5 second rule. whenever you are considering procrastinating count down 5-4-3-2-1, then just do it
-create an air tight routine that is focused on getting you closer to the promised land. There is no right schedule for anyone and this is for you to figure out. You know you have a great system is when you are just doing your routine without thinking and getting result oriented goals.

Bruno Ferreira

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 13, 2018
Portugal
Hey there!
I identify a bit with your post, despite not having a wife or kids, we are both the same age, and right now what's going on my mind it's like "it's now or never"!

Your business idea of bringing brick and mortar business into the digital world is not only simple but practical.
Once put on the road I'm sure you can start banking on it sooner than you think.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.